Am I doing something wrong?

joshmd

Hello mara and sentinels alike,

need some advice maybe im not doing the rotation right but as i just parsed 3900 exactly on a dummy at 1m hp i dont think im doing to bad. But when I read how much PT are pushing out with out even trying (4400) or even Juggs now mopping the floor with my dps http://dulfy.net/2014/12/11/swtor-3-0-vigilance-guardian-dps-guide-by-rydarus/ . I cant help but wonder If I am just a bad player or am I really doing something wrong. Mind I have 180s 178s and a few 186s and gear is all augmented with the might augs not the ear peace or implants, and I have the set bonus of our old gear

Hello mara and sentinels alike,

need some advice maybe im not doing the rotation right but as i just parsed 3900 exactly on a dummy at 1m hp i dont think im doing to bad. But when I read how much PT are pushing out with out even trying (4400) or even Juggs now mopping the floor with my dps http://dulfy.net/2014/12/11/swtor-3-0-vigilance-guardian-dps-guide-by-rydarus/ . I cant help but wonder If I am just a bad player or am I really doing something wrong. Mind I have 180s 178s and a few 186s and gear is all augmented with the might augs not the ear peace or implants, and I have the set bonus of our old gear

All those scary numbers? Optimized 192s with a 6-piece set bonus. Well except Zejim's parse. Zejim is haxing.

Your parse is perfectly fine considering your gear. Don't be put off by those "scary" parses. What those parses don't tell you is that for that one awesome parse, they have gotten 10 others that aren't as good. Some people spend hours on the dummy trying for that one epic parse. I've been guilty of that in the past!

So don't worry, your numbers are fine

Got a question about parsing:

Since i just returned to swtor after 3 years im not expierienced with parsing. Every time i try i get very different results and most of the time much lower than number rumoring in forums.

1. What settings and programs do u use?

2. What buffs, consumables and so on?

3. Any special tricks in getting the high numbers?

4. Playing anni spec atm with full 186 basic comm gear, two 192 parts, all new augments, but mostly get 3.2 plus minus parses. Feels like doing something wrong !

Got a question about parsing:

Since i just returned to swtor after 3 years im not expierienced with parsing. Every time i try i get very different results and most of the time much lower than number rumoring in forums.

1. What settings and programs do u use?

2. What buffs, consumables and so on?

3. Any special tricks in getting the high numbers?

4. Playing anni spec atm with full 186 basic comm gear, two 192 parts, all new augments, but mostly get 3.2 plus minus parses. Feels like doing something wrong !

1. Parsec is awesome for that, and naturally you need combat logging into file enabled in the game to make it work. Parsec will also let you set up dot timers which I feel is vital for playing the steaming pile of crap that is Anni/Watchman (no, not complaining about the dps, I just detest dot specs :p).

2. The standard four player buffs and a stim. You can use adrenals too if you want, but I don't think you'll be far off if you just skip adrenals and pretend you parsed 50-100 dps higher than you actually did, so might not be worth the cost. Of course, if you're biochem then just use the reusable adrenal.

3. There's plenty of special tricks that only work on dummies -- it's also utterly absurd to use those tricks, because dummy dps isn't relevant in itself. The only trick you should be using is to use the correct rotation, if you do stuff that wouldn't work in a raid encounter then you might get bigger numbers but that's pointless.

4. I've only done one parse thus far on Anni, and I did 4k in full 180/186 gear with the old augments, using new stim and a single old adrenal. So yeah, you're probably doing something wrong (no offense intended, just an observation), but it's impossible to say what -- most likely just a wrong rotation. Also, did you parse during heavy lag? The best place to parse is on your own ship, and even so you should avoid doing it when the game is lagging a lot.

Well based on what the other 2 said I think that 3900 in my gear is good I did have a bit of lag in my ship it was late and I forgot to leave the fleet to do it I'll try again today also didn't have a new stim only had old one and I'm not doing 500 dmg dummy it's 1m . Probably sure u have better gear than me I stopped playing and came back when this expansion hit

1. Parsec is awesome for that, and naturally you need combat logging into file enabled in the game to make it work. Parsec will also let you set up dot timers which I feel is vital for playing the steaming pile of crap that is Anni/Watchman (no, not complaining about the dps, I just detest dot specs :p).

2. The standard four player buffs and a stim. You can use adrenals too if you want, but I don't think you'll be far off if you just skip adrenals and pretend you parsed 50-100 dps higher than you actually did, so might not be worth the cost. Of course, if you're biochem then just use the reusable adrenal.

3. There's plenty of special tricks that only work on dummies -- it's also utterly absurd to use those tricks, because dummy dps isn't relevant in itself. The only trick you should be using is to use the correct rotation, if you do stuff that wouldn't work in a raid encounter then you might get bigger numbers but that's pointless.

4. I've only done one parse thus far on Anni, and I did 4k in full 180/186 gear with the old augments, using new stim and a single old adrenal. So yeah, you're probably doing something wrong (no offense intended, just an observation), but it's impossible to say what -- most likely just a wrong rotation. Also, did you parse during heavy lag? The best place to parse is on your own ship, and even so you should avoid doing it when the game is lagging a lot.

Thx ! I appreciate your help on that !

Ill try few parses later and will give u feedback. Maybe its also an issue playing on US Server as EU player ? My delay is normally at 120 ms ! Idk if that could be an issue !

I also have been wondering if the ability activation queue might be important here ? Atm i set it to 0,25 !

About rotations: I mostly follow the rotations path from Dulfy & other guides, or e.g. Vulkk´s vids on youtube !

Ill write more later !

Thx ! I appreciate your help on that !

Ill try few parses later and will give u feedback. Maybe its also an issue playing on US Server as EU player ? My delay is normally at 120 ms ! Idk if that could be an issue !

I also have been wondering if the ability activation queue might be important here ? Atm i set it to 0,25 !

About rotations: I mostly follow the rotations path from Dulfy & other guides, or e.g. Vulkk´s vids on youtube !

Ill write more later !

I always keep the queue set to 0.5s, I find that gives me the best/most reliable performance, I wouldn't recommend 0.25s to anyone without a perfect internet connection. I'm not entirely sure how the queue works, but my understanding is that it should almost completely eliminate issues with lag (clearly it doesn't if you look at some logs, but it comes close), as long as the queue is set to a higher value than your lag. The only thing for us where it doesn't help is Master Strike/Ravage, since it's a channel (and the queue does nothing with channels).

Also, as one point that may slightly affect your dps, MS/Ravage is a channel that you ideally want to cancel about 0.2 sec (+ lag) before the channel finishes, since the last strike occurs at about 2.8 sec, not 3.0 sec. If you're not already doing that, I suggest you do, but make damn sure you're not cancelling it before that last hit. Takes some getting used to, but with a ping of 120 ms it should save you about 0.3 sec every time you do it, which adds up to 1-2% higher dps.

I just tried a bit !

Its crazy ! Im totally confused ! I changed the activation time setting to 0.5 ! I checked my rotation !

I tried on the Operations Dummy and on the warzone dummy. On the Ops dummy im not getting past 3.1-3.2 and on the warzone dummy im not getting past 3.4-3.5 DPS ! I parsed on ship !

Something is weird here :-(

My stats atm are:

Melee

1797-2105

185-279

Acc 96,24

Crit 22,41

Surge 74,91

Force

Roation mainly from Dulfy ! With the exception that the new proccs things like DST and forcemelt are being used when procced !

I used the lvl55 reusables ! I have the inquisitor and warrior class buffs. Maybe the other buffs ?

Edited by heizluefta

Yes, i didnt bring it to 100 yet because had the hope it wasnt intended, but since its clear, id need to optimize a bit ! Ye !

But do u think thats the reason for this huuuge difference ?

It more feels like somethings broken, but these days sometimes im too fast with "its broken" because so many things are broken :-/

Edited by heizluefta

Well get your accuracy to 100/110% and then work on getting the 6 piece set bonus. This will bring your parse up. And having played with Vulkk, his guides are excellent as he knows the class inside out so keep watching his vids. Practice those rotations until you can do them in your sleep. They have to be second nature with 0 hesitation. Getting those high parses requires gear, skill, luck and lots and lots of practice. So don't be discouraged and keep at it :)

I posted in my guild forums this morning my parse here and broke down the different sections for them. Maybe it will help you as well. During the live streams pre 3.0 i think i remember them saying ranged direct damage was suppose to be around 3.9 ish, melee direct damage around 4.1, and dot based around 4.3 (Dont hold me to exact numbers this is all off memory) and this is pretty much what i'm seeing now.

I have full 186's, 2 or 3 192s mixed in, 198 offhand, new blue S.A and F.R relics, All 186 augmented except for implants and earpiece.

Accuracy 100.17 ( This is 7 enhancements and 1 accuracy augment)

Crit 20. (something) This is base line, i have no crit in my gear at all

Surge is 63. (something)

Using a Alacrity/Power enhancement as my last enhancement (just testing it out)

This is all Combat spec btw.

I just tried a bit !

Its crazy ! Im totally confused ! I changed the activation time setting to 0.5 ! I checked my rotation !

I tried on the Operations Dummy and on the warzone dummy. On the Ops dummy im not getting past 3.1-3.2 and on the warzone dummy im not getting past 3.4-3.5 DPS ! I parsed on ship !

Something is weird here :-(

My stats atm are:

Melee

1797-2105

185-279

Acc 96,24

Crit 22,41

Surge 74,91

Force

Roation mainly from Dulfy ! With the exception that the new proccs things like DST and forcemelt are being used when procced !

I used the lvl55 reusables ! I have the inquisitor and warrior class buffs. Maybe the other buffs ?

One thing to note about Dulfy's rotation - I do not believe it was updated for 3.0, where Cauterize now lasts twice as long. As such, you want to alternate Cauterize and Force Leap after using Merciless Slash.

So the rotation would go:

Merciless -> Cauterize -> Filler x2 ->

Merciless -> Force Leap -> Filler x2 -> Repeat

Every third merciless you want to use Force Melt. You want to use Master Strike every 3rd merciless as well, but in such a way as to not lose any GCDs to it. Zealous Strike can also be delayed to every 18 seconds, and you want to use TST every 18 seconds (regardless of proc) because its a free filler, and the proc has an 18 second lockout so if you use it on cooldown then you won't ever get a proc while you have one unused. Finally, Overload Saber should be used every second merciless. I'd mix it with force leap, but some people prefer to bunch the DoTs up and put it with Cauterize.

So with me, it would be:

Merciless -> Cauterize -> Zealous Strike -> TST ->

Merciless -> Force Leap + Overload Saber -> Master Strike ->

Merciless -> Cauterize -> Force Melt -> Filler (Either Strike, Slash, or Dispatch, depending on focus) ->

Merciless -> Force Leap + Overload Saber -> Zealous Strike -> TST ->

Merciless -> Cauterize -> Master Strike ->

Merciless -> Force Leap + Overload Saber -> Force Melt -> Filler ->

Of course, I suck at watchman cause I can never get the opener right, but someone here would obviously know that.

I just tried all that. Also the Rota from TACeMossie ! And i brought my acc to 99.7 % !

And u know what ?

No changes ! In that focus, acc seems to be not that important ! Its a tredeoff. I have less surge. But more acc !

DPS Numbers are the same. Although i tried different rotations regarding what all u people wrote here.

There must be something wrong ! Idk what !

Especially in Anni: The DPS numbers are not so different, even if i make a mistake in one GCD, its DOTs !

My numbers are quite "constant". The more i practice, the more constant they get !

So, if someone that has less gear, can do 3.9k DPS, whats wrong here ?

Im still at the same numbers ! (3.1-3-2 at Ops dummy, 3.3-3.5 at Warzone dummy)

Edited by heizluefta

I just tried all that. Also the Rota from TACeMossie ! And i brought my acc to 99.7 % !

And u know what ?

No changes ! In that focus, acc seems to be not that important ! Its a tredeoff. I have less surge. But more acc !

DPS Numbers are the same. Although i tried different rotations regarding what all u people wrote here.

There must be something wrong ! Idk what !

Especially in Anni: The DPS numbers are not so different, even if i make a mistake in one GCD, its DOTs !

My numbers are quite "constant". The more i practice, the more constant they get !

So, if someone that has less gear, can do 3.9k DPS, whats wrong here ?

Im still at the same numbers ! (3.1-3-2 at Ops dummy, 3.3-3.5 at Warzone dummy)

What you are seeing is a case of people deliberately gimping their peak average, in order to have a more reliable parse. What do I mean?

Well, you can have less than 100% accuracy (And the highest average actually recommends it), but in doing so you are giving up the ability to never miss those important attacks. Ask yourself - would you prefer to have a higher damage capability and miss Force Melt because RNG? Or would you prefer to never miss anything, but have a slightly slower rotation with smaller crits?

Answer is obviously the second one. Going with less accuracy for more surge is double-asking for RNJesus to help you out: First you need to not miss, then you need to crit, before you actually benefit from it.

As for this:

And btw:

In parsec: how do you get a 1mill dmg timer ?

Dont have that option ...

Or what Option are u using for the DPS numbers ?

You can put a modifier on the dummy which reduces its health from Infinite to 500k, 1 million or 1.5 million HP. You need a ship droid to get it (1 million credits, 1 time purchase and affects all toons). It also comes with an "Armor Debuff Module", which puts all the debuffs (force/tech/melee/range +5%, Internal/elemental +7%, AoE +10%, 20% armor reduction) onto the target.

Try parsing with those, cause thats probably whats been preventing you from hitting the bigger numbers (the lack of +5% force damage and the armor debuff at least).

Its me once again !

The last days i tried a lot in terms of parsing. I tried to anticipate all you wrote and tried different rotations.

I tried on ship and on Ziost shadow on different dummys. I tried to optimize gear a bit (just started though) but think the gear MUST be ok for getting 4k+ parses. I got the new stims and so on.

Result is: On the silver Dummy on Ziost i get the best results, but never over 3.6k DPS !

On the Ops dummy im still not getting beyond 3.2k DPS.

I more and more feel like there must be something wrong. Or im completely messing up my rotations, what i dont think ! Its becoming more and more a mystery to me.

Id really like to "on the fly" compare parsing with someone that also plays Anni atm. Maybe i could get some new hints or he can see whats going wrong ? I dont know anymore. And also the numbers are very very constant ! The difference is mostly +/- 5% depending on Rotation, stim used, and so on !

Im really confused ! If someone could help me out, id be more than happy and thankful ! :-(

Ah and btw i get the best result when setting the ability activation queue to 1,0 sec :mad:

Edited by heizluefta

I'm eagerly following this thread, I'm in the same boat as you, but I main combat. Gear is 186, stats are pretty good but I can't seem to break ~3.2k. I'll accept a reasonable amount of L2P responsibility, but I've a ton of WoW DPS experience in a progressive raiding guild so I can't accept complete lack of skill and these rotations aren't so absurdly complex. Its a bit discouraging really.

Is there a place where people can upload logs to be publically compared? I'd love to be able to see other peoples rotations, procs, misses etc.

Edit: Are there any preferences that can be toggled? I've messed around with 'Ability Action Queue Windows', but hasn't made much of a noticeable difference. I'm spamming the **** out of these keys anyway.

Edited by Pandamaja

I'm eagerly following this thread, I'm in the same boat as you, but I main combat. Gear is 186, stats are pretty good but I can't seem to break ~3.2k. I'll accept a reasonable amount of L2P responsibility, but I've a ton of WoW DPS experience in a progressive raiding guild so I can't accept complete lack of skill and these rotations aren't so absurdly complex. Its a bit discouraging really.

Is there a place where people can upload logs to be publically compared? I'd love to be able to see other peoples rotations, procs, misses etc.

Edit: Are there any preferences that can be toggled? I've messed around with 'Ability Action Queue Windows', but hasn't made much of a noticeable difference. I'm spamming the **** out of these keys anyway.

This place:

http://www.torparse.com/

Is where everyone used to do it. Its down for now, but they said it should be up for christmas

The dummy debuff will add 200-250 dps; not having the dummy that can be killed causes the combat log to keep calculating after you've stopped hitting it; both of these things will significantly drop your DPS. Can you confirm you have these effects on the target.

Couple more things that can lower DPS; Check your actions per minute, I won't estimate what they should be but if a GCD is 1.5 you should be able to get close to 40 apm. If you're parsing on the fleet it has a higher lag and is prone to have lag spikes. It will be hard to tell if your apm are from fleet lag or your own delay. If you don't want to fork over the credits for a ship dummy/droid find a guildy who has one and use it.

Lastly are you optimizing Berserk and Bloodthirst (sorry don't know pub terms), I'm still trying to get this right but will notice a significate increase when I use it at the right time.

Its me once again !

The last days i tried a lot in terms of parsing. I tried to anticipate all you wrote and tried different rotations.

I tried on ship and on Ziost shadow on different dummys. I tried to optimize gear a bit (just started though) but think the gear MUST be ok for getting 4k+ parses. I got the new stims and so on.

Result is: On the silver Dummy on Ziost i get the best results, but never over 3.6k DPS !

On the Ops dummy im still not getting beyond 3.2k DPS.

I more and more feel like there must be something wrong. Or im completely messing up my rotations, what i dont think ! Its becoming more and more a mystery to me.

Id really like to "on the fly" compare parsing with someone that also plays Anni atm. Maybe i could get some new hints or he can see whats going wrong ? I dont know anymore. And also the numbers are very very constant ! The difference is mostly +/- 5% depending on Rotation, stim used, and so on !

Im really confused ! If someone could help me out, id be more than happy and thankful ! :-(

Ah and btw i get the best result when setting the ability activation queue to 1,0 sec :mad:

If either of you, or both of you, would like to hop into my Vent I would be more than willing to go over everything Combat Sentinel with you and try and figure this enigma out. I post earlier in this thread and linked a parse i had done that day and was low 4.1K. I'm in Full 186 gear minus my 4 set bonus which is 180. I run a Sentinel main (Hayete) and have been playing combat spec since Beta. So if you guys would rather talk to a real person in real time and go over things other than talking through this thread email me HERE and we'll set something up.

I forgot to mention set piece bonus'. If you're lack the 2 or 4 piece bonus that another chuck of DPS you'll be missing, even if you have higher stat gear. 162 set piece match gear is better then 180 (probably 186) gear.

As well as the mods themselves. There are pieces with high Endurance and lower main stats. There's another significate loss/gain from being min/maxed.

Sorry if you're aware of everything I said, just going on what wasn't said

Edited by Sarafain