[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

DieGhostDie

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the guide!

While watching the video you delay Ambush and even PB a GCD or two. I've always worked my rotation around PB and SV. I guess my question is if you've tried to keep PB and Ambush "tighter"?

You're clipping CD, from reading your guide this is strictly for energy management?

Seems my ship dummy is bugged (respawning every 10 sec), so asking instead of working with that endless frustration :p

Also, I don't see the 5% ranged dmg debuff on the dummy in the video, noticed that as well on my ship when using the 1m HP and armor debuff.

Oh that bug happens when you kill it while having companions doing crafting/gathering. You can either relog, or stop the gathering/crafting to stop it.

for dummy parses: use insta snipe insteat of corrosive dart.

Snipe x2 -> FT -> Snipe -> Ambush -> FT -> Penetrating Blasts -> Snipe -> FT-> Snipe x2 -> FT -> Ambush -> FT -> Penetrating Blasts -> Snipe -> FT -> Snipe x2 -> FT -> Snipe -> Ambush -> FT -> Penetrating Blasts -> FT/SV -> Penetrating Blasts –> FT

obv a litte movement is needed, but you'll get rewarded.

A couple of question as I have been trying this rotation on my ship dummy multiple times and can't seem to top 3000 dps. Currently, I have the following stats:

Accur = 723 (99.66%)

Crit = 307 (26.30%)

Surge = 419 (70.77%) [a little high I know]

I have looked at the parse logs and noticed something crazy, the amount of miss percentage. In all of the other screencaps I've seen, most people are at or close to 0%. I, on the other hand, have a missed % like this:

14% on Penetrating Rounds

20% on Charged Burst

16% on Aimed Shot

14% on Trickshot

With an Accuracy rating at 99.66%, how am I missing this much? I have a dps sage that, when parsed, has 0% in most if not all of the abilities. Please help as this is driving me crazy. Thanks.

A couple of question as I have been trying this rotation on my ship dummy multiple times and can't seem to top 3000 dps. Currently, I have the following stats:

Accur = 723 (99.66%)

Crit = 307 (26.30%)

Surge = 419 (70.77%) [a little high I know]

I have looked at the parse logs and noticed something crazy, the amount of miss percentage. In all of the other screencaps I've seen, most people are at or close to 0%. I, on the other hand, have a missed % like this:

14% on Penetrating Rounds

20% on Charged Burst

16% on Aimed Shot

14% on Trickshot

With an Accuracy rating at 99.66%, how am I missing this much? I have a dps sage that, when parsed, has 0% in most if not all of the abilities. Please help as this is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Offhand attack has a (I believe) 30% miss chance, so that tends to drop accuracy by a lot.

Or he is a Gunslinger and is missing his OH attacks.... Perhaps you should have read the abilities he said first.
That is true. However, I also read the DPS he posted. Going from %80 hit chance to %100 hit chance is a +%25 correction, which would put him at ~3.75k DPS, a reasonable parse at 60 with ~186 gear - which is why I suspected an overall miss could be what's happening as well.

Either he has poor equipment/rotation at level 60 (not really seeing the former with the stats he's posted), or he has ~< 186 gear at level < 57.

edit: Actually, several of my parses on a dummy without the armor reduction module was also about 3k when I first started working on my rotation. That might be what's "wrong" with the DPS as well for the guy.

Edited by Metthew

Thanks for all the replies. I am currently at level 60 with all purple 186 gear and two 192 comm pieces thrown in. I do not have any set bonus pieces yet. I have all optimized enhancements (crafted 186's). I was not using the armor debuff module on my earlier parses so I just ran another 3 parses with it on and I am still missing a lot. My last parse was 3075 dps. With the armor debuff and 500k modules on, here were my results from Parsec:

APM - 40.3

Charged Burst - 13% miss

Trickshot - 11% miss

Penetration shots - 8% miss

Aimed shot - 11% miss

Quickdraw - 33% miss

I have the rotation down pretty well so I have no idea why my miss % is still so high. I also noticed that I have having absolutely no energy management problems, it is almost always full. Maybe this is because I am using the 500k module on the dummy. This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

edit: My OH is one of my 192 comm pieces.

Edited by taurusalin

Its cos ur offhand misses theirs nothing u can do about it ( the moves ur missing on are all when both weapons are fired something like vital shots doesnt miss), if u hover over ur acc rating in char sheet u will see what ur off hand is. My acc is Ranged 100% main hand and 67% offhand and Tech acc 110% main and 77% off. The only way to counter this would be to increase ur acc so that u would have 130% but doing that would mean loosing a lot of other stats and would decrease ur dps (u wouldnt miss tho)

If that is the case, then wouldn't all slingers have miss %'s close to the ones I am having. In the parses I have seen, they are mostly at 0% miss. I am assuming these higher miss %'s that I am having are the reason why my dps isn't parsing as high as it should. Thanks.

I also noticed that I have having absolutely no energy management problems, it is almost always full.
This might be symptomatic of the root cause of your DPS deficiency. Do you have horrendous ability delay by any chance?

At the end of the sniping sequence you should be really close to %60 (maybe a bit below %70), especially if it's the sequence just before the SV. Ability delay manifests itself also as "extra energy regenerated" compared to a delayless rotation (standard ability delay is on average .15s between two GCD's on TRE). If this extends to .3-.5, it can manifest itself as the DPS drop as well as the energy surplus.

Alternately, maybe you don't have the rotation down that well? You are being careful with not clipping the Corrosive Dart DOT, and using Aimed Shot, Penetrating Rounds, Laze Target (Smuggler's Luck?) on cooldown? Sniper's Volley should also be "near cooldown", and Target Acquired should be placed in front of a Snipe/CB sequence, or in front of Aimed Shot + Followthrough + PR + Followthrough + PR (don't know the GS versions' names for SV, TA and FT).

If that is the case, then wouldn't all slingers have miss %'s close to the ones I am having. In the parses I have seen, they are mostly at 0% miss. I am assuming these higher miss %'s that I am having are the reason why my dps isn't parsing as high as it should. Thanks.

Every slinger parse are around your numbers as far as accuracy goes. Same for Merc, Sentinel and Marauder.

Your problem comes from you not having a set bonus (about 250-350 DPS), 186 gear (about 300 DPS).

This might be symptomatic of the root cause of your DPS deficiency. Do you have horrendous ability delay by any chance?

At the end of the sniping sequence you should be really close to %60 (maybe a bit below %70), especially if it's the sequence just before the SV. Ability delay manifests itself also as "extra energy regenerated" compared to a delayless rotation (standard ability delay is on average .15s between two GCD's on TRE). If this extends to .3-.5, it can manifest itself as the DPS drop as well as the energy surplus.

Alternately, maybe you don't have the rotation down that well? You are being careful with not clipping the Corrosive Dart DOT, and using Aimed Shot, Penetrating Rounds, Laze Target (Smuggler's Luck?) on cooldown? Sniper's Volley should also be "near cooldown", and Target Acquired should be placed in front of a Snipe/CB sequence, or in front of Aimed Shot + Followthrough + PR + Followthrough + PR (don't know the GS versions' names for SV, TA and FT).

Nope. His APM is over 40... It isn't ability delay, his APM would have dropped around 25-30.

Maybe there is some rotation problem behind all this.

Do you guys think that the higher miss % could be the cause of the lower dps parses? And would the 2-4-6 set bonus fix that higher miss %'s? Btw, thank you all for all your help, it's much appreciated.

NO. The miss chance is normal. ANy dual wielder (Mara/Sent, Merc, Slinger) will have these kind of accuracy numbers.

The lack set bonus and 186 gear along with suboptimal mods could bring your DPS down by 500-600.

You still have a 400+ DPS you could squeeze out of your rotation though.

Ryuku, I just have one more question about the accuracy misses then. If you say that all dual wield classes have this problem, then why in the Dulfy guide for 3.0 slingers does the Parsec parse of the author shown below show only a very small miss % on 'Followthrough' only, while all the other abilities (including OH attacks) show a 0% miss:

http://dulfy.net/2014/12/22/swtor-3-0-sharpshooter-gunslinger-guide-by-shulk/#Sample_Parse

Thanks.

Ryuku, I just have one more question about the accuracy misses then. If you say that all dual wield classes have this problem, then why in the Dulfy guide for 3.0 slingers does the Parsec parse of the author shown below show only a very small miss % on 'Followthrough' only, while all the other abilities (including OH attacks) show a 0% miss:

http://dulfy.net/2014/12/22/swtor-3-0-sharpshooter-gunslinger-guide-by-shulk/#Sample_Parse

Thanks.

It's a Sniper parse, not a Slinger one.

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I was so caught up that the slinger/sniper were mirror classes, I forgot one is single and the other is dual wield. Appreciate the continued help from all on here, thanks again. Gonna continue to work on rotation and try to get some set-bonuses :)

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I was so caught up that the slinger/sniper were mirror classes, I forgot one is single and the other is dual wield. Appreciate the continued help from all on here, thanks again. Gonna continue to work on rotation and try to get some set-bonuses :)

lol.... It happens.. No worries.. We all have our dummy moments.

I'm having a few issues with my Gunslinger, I'm getting ~3.8-4k on the dummy (crit depending), I'm in mainly 192 gear (only got the 2 piece set bonus though), I don't think my rotation's too bad but my APM is 37 instead of 40/41 (though I have issues remembering where I am in the rotation, so I treat it more like a priority per the dps/mechanics section of the guide). Any ideas why, or what I can do to improve (other than finishing off my gear).

My stats are 99.95 accuracy, 204 crit, 222 surge, 111 alacrity (1 enhancement).

Log