Switch to the Darkside!! (or light)

agento

With the coming movie there will certainly be major hype surrounding falling to the darkside! I would love the ability to change factions, but have it mean something instead of just being a paid service like other mmo's. Have a quest line and the requirement to go full light or dark and then paying even 1800cc so that people do not just flip flop.

I have been an imperial for 3 years and recently switched to the pub side. I'd love to bring a character over and a quest line to move to the light side would be awesome!

what they should add is a "phasing" where you switch. you can travel to korriban for instance, but you will only be able to see other people from your faction that have turned, so no interaction in any way or form to the other side. same with tython. (they already did that with taris/balmorra) i would love to see that, because of

agent working for sis, light side sith warrior, dark side jedi, light side inqui

Edited by topperharly

Given that aside from the occasional snippet nod in expansions they said class stories are done and forked, I see zero chance in this -ever- happening because that would entail them doing more class story work.

Plus can you imagine the horrible horrible bugs that would result with them tinkering with core basics in such a way? Urgh.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Given that aside from the occasional snippet nod in expansions they said class stories are done and forked, I see zero chance in this -ever- happening because that would entail them doing more class story work.

Plus can you imagine the horrible horrible bugs that would result with them tinkering with core basics in such a way? Urgh.

waaaaaait...what? no more story missions? what the ****, the story missions where the big deal about swtor.....

So many MMO's have done it. If it means money, you can NEVER say NEVER!

I love how emphatic people are that this could NEVER happen. Probably said the same thing in WoW years ago.

They said they won't do it because of the systems in place that deal with companions. Not enough payoff for too many resources. Even the new devs have said this is not going to happen

Show me specifically where the new devs said "this is not going to happen"

OK so right at the beginning he says

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change.

Which is what I have been saying all along. Just because some dev who happens to work there now says its unlikely DOES NOT MEAN NEVER.

Which is what I have been saying all along. Just because some dev who happens to work there now says its unlikely DOES NOT MEAN NEVER.

Thats a nice way of devs saying never. Not enough return for too many resources, and potential to cause took many issues to core gameplay. Saying never is bad pr. Be as naive as you want. It won't happen.

Thats a nice way of devs saying never. Not enough return for too many resources, and potential to cause took many issues to core gameplay. Saying never is bad pr. Be as naive as you want. It won't happen.

Then I guess were going to disagree :p It's not being naive at all... I guess you wernt around when WoW was in it's infancy and Dev's said they would NEVER EVER EVER allow factions changes.....

Now it's a top money maker. So go on and call me naive if it makes you feel bigger. I'll just wait and see.

Then I guess were going to disagree :p It's not being naive at all... I guess you wernt around when WoW was in it's infancy and Dev's said they would NEVER EVER EVER allow factions changes.....

Now it's a top money maker. So go on and call me naive if it makes you feel bigger. I'll just wait and see.

EXCEPT WoW doesn't have:

Companions

Class Storyline

VOICE OVERS

Also, if a Sith Warrior changes to the Republic Side, what would they become? What about the Imperial Agent switching to the Republic? Or the Trooper joining the Empire?

Wow faction changes don't involve a companion system built into the core of gameplay. If a feature doesn't A. Benefit the large majority of players, and B. Create a viable profit margin, it won't be implemented. Using WoW is a terrible comparison. No other mmo on the market has their budget or Dev team size. Saying WoW did it means nothing. WoW is the exception, not the rule.

EXCEPT WoW doesn't have:

Companions

Class Storyline

VOICE OVERS

Also, if a Sith Warrior changes to the Republic Side, what would they become? What about the Imperial Agent switching to the Republic? Or the Trooper joining the Empire?

Not to mention the devs also stated faction is tied into quest flags, so everything from 1-60 would have to be completely re-coded, not to mention some Companions are tied directly into certain quest lines, this request is wishful thinking. There are far better things they can distribute limited Dev resources to fixing or creating

This is a really bad argument... each class has a direct counter class... Obviously it would be the mirror class that you would become. As for Advanced Class? I'd say you would get to choose again.

This is a really bad argument... each class has a direct counter class... Obviously it would be the mirror class that you would become. As for Advanced Class? I'd say you would get to choose again.

It actually isn't a really bad argument.

Bounty Hunter becomes a Trooper.... Then, how would they pick up the Trooper's Companion as the Trooper get them through the Trooper's Storyline. The Hunter would not only lose their own Companions, but also their CLASS Ship, along with access to the Imperial Fleet along with Korriban & Nal Hutta. Their Taris & Balmorra will also change. Oh, and the Female BH would go from having Grey DeLisle as their Voice Actress to Jennifer Hale. Also, they'd loose their Pistols and will have to use Rifle/BFG.

I would like to see something similar, but a bit different.

a reskinning of abilities. for example if a sage is 100% darkside, then his rock abilities should become lightning to signify that he is dark side. and vise-versa for a lightside sorc.

Sage/sorc and shadow/assassin is probably the ones where the reskins of abilities would be most obvious. but it could work on others.

dark side knight uses force choke instead of stasis would be another example.

Most people have mentioned the following as to why it can't be implemented:

-Class companions.

-Story quests

-Faction questions

Etc..

There is also one other thing: Legacy achievements. If I have a level 60 Sage, with all my story and companion achievements unlocked and I switch factions what happens? My opinion is that anyone should gain absolutely NO achievements for the mirrored class, as the system is designed for people to play all classes if they wish to unlock achievements. But not all people share that opinion of mine and will expect and demand that their achievements unlock for the mirrored class.

As much I was would love a faction change it's just almost impossible due to coding and the amount of resources and upfront cost from BioWare to implement.

looks like nobody read what i wrote. i think an easy way to do this is phasing. you will still be "imp" or "rep" but you could be able to visit tyhon, korriban, droomung kaas, corrusant in a "special" phase. like taris/balmorra. easy way to "fake" a change from your character.

sure, hell could freeze over, vikings win the super bowl, I win the lottery, Earth gets hit by a comet, open a hyper crate and get nothing but super rare items....all are about equal or higher probability than STWOR allowing a faction change. Is it zero, no. Is it as close to zero as one can get, probably.