The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Keep it simple, powertech or mercenary?!

inndipindi

I would say PT!

Merc is fun, too. But, PT feels more dynamic. With merc, you kind of just stand still while firing tons of rockets, you're like a turret. With PT, you have to actually move around since you're like a shotgun. Short range, hits hard. The PT feels more fun to me with it's "more involved" gameplay. That can be a good or a bad thing for people, though!

Short answer, no idea. In less than a week, everyone is going to get a bunch of changes that alter how we think of everything.

Powertechs get more Range

Mercenaries get much more mobility.

As such, just think. Do I want to be 'melee' or ranged.

If you like being up close and personal, go with the PT

If you're a wuss who sits back and lets everyone else take a beating, go with the Merc

If you want to tank, PT

If you want to heal, Merc

No one is sure which will be the better DPS come 3.0 anyway.

I would say PT!

Merc is fun, too. But, PT feels more dynamic. With merc, you kind of just stand still while firing tons of rockets, you're like a turret. With PT, you have to actually move around since you're like a shotgun. Short range, hits hard. The PT feels more fun to me with it's "more involved" gameplay. That can be a good or a bad thing for people, though!

Thank you bro... I guess I will go with PT after :rolleyes:

Short answer, no idea. In less than a week, everyone is going to get a bunch of changes that alter how we think of everything.

If you're a wuss who sits back and lets everyone else take a beating, go with the Merc

If you want to tank, PT

PT is my kind of guy then ;) Thanks for the response brother :cool:

If you want to tank, PT

Read the red part again. Then read it again. Then post.

Read the red part again. Then read it again. Then post.

He was saying that Powertech's WILL be getting more range, while Mercenaries WILL be getting more mobility, in 3.0. Lol I knew someone was going to call him on that and it made me dazzle in confusion when I first read it myself but if you go back and read it you can see what he meant.

To OP, Powertech DPS will no longer be considered "pure melee" like SO many people have always called them (even when I always told people it wasn't pure "melee" because they have always had the ability to weave in and out for short periods of time.) In 3.0 Bioware finally set the record straight and labeled them as Close-Quarter's fighters, not pure melee (watch VG/PT stream). This means they have an array of abilities that allow them to weave in and out of melee/range zones, so they can kite people in PvP like crazy and they can avoid a lot of BADSTUFF in PvE content because they can assume 100% uptime even while moving. Also, read what Powertech's tactical role is, even though the page is outdated, you can see they have always been based around "Close-Quarters" ; where as if you go look at a "pure melee" class like Guardian/Sentinel/Shadow, you will see their tactical role says "Melee" plain as day.

Edited by KnightTyler

He was saying that Powertech's WILL be getting more range, while Mercenaries WILL be getting more mobility, in 3.0. Lol I knew someone was going to call him on that and it made me dazzle in confusion when I first read it myself but if you go back and read it you can see what he meant.

Right. I didn't see it that way... :o But it is still partially false.. PT gets both more range and more mobility. Merc doesn,t get that much more mobility. Arsenal does. Inno won't be more mobile than current Pyro Merc. Unload on the move may looks neat for PvE, but in PvP you just cancel Unload mid channel which will be even easier with the channel changes in 3.0 and use Railshot procs right away.

Right. I didn't see it that way... :o But it is still partially false.. PT gets both more range and more mobility. Merc doesn,t get that much more mobility. Arsenal does. Inno won't be more mobile than current Pyro Merc. Unload on the move may looks neat for PvE, but in PvP you just cancel Unload mid channel which will be even easier with the channel changes in 3.0 and use Railshot procs right away.

Eh, looking at all the changes for mercs/mandos, speccing IA/Assault will have you cast 1 ability every 10. The other 9 will be instants or will be On-the-move Unload/Full Auto.

Edited by TACeMossie

Eh, looking at all the changes for mercs/mandos, speccing IA/Assault will have you cast 1 ability every 10. The other 9 will be instants or will be On-the-move Unload/Full Auto.

In PvP. Pyro Merc had to cast only ONE ability. Power Shot. Unload was almost alway canceled after one GCD due to the focus Mercs always fear... So why would a PvP'er focusing more on the burst coming from Mag Shot and his DoTs take Thrill of the Hunt? Now, with 100% IPA (formerly PPA) proc chance, going with just Power Shot for your burst will be even better considering it is instant after Mag Shot.

Note that this completely destroy heat management and is to be done in short PvP fight where you don't care about your heat.

In PvP. Pyro Merc had to cast only ONE ability. Power Shot. Unload was almost alway canceled after one GCD due to the focus Mercs always fear... So why would a PvP'er focusing more on the burst coming from Mag Shot and his DoTs take Thrill of the Hunt? Now, with 100% IPA (formerly PPA) proc chance, going with just Power Shot for your burst will be even better considering it is instant after Mag Shot.

Note that this completely destroy heat management and is to be done in short PvP fight where you don't care about your heat.

Your heat management would be fine since in the twitch stream that ability is marked as once per 15s.

Unless you really mean you're going to hard cast Power Shot for the rest of that time.