Devs - Collateral Damage (Innovative Ordnance - 3.0 passive ablitiy)

Dropfall

I'm taking all I know about this passive ability from the Twitch stream, and the Dulfy.net hosted Discipline Calc.

Why does it take two different attacks (Fusion Missile and Explosive Dart) whilst in Innovative Ordnance to transfer the two DoTs (Incendiary and Serrated Shot) to other targets?

That's IM, SS, FM, ED - all up without alacrity, taking 6s to transfer two DoTs; two of the attacks most likely will require casts too. That's a lot to easily screw up in comparison to other DoT spreadable specs.

Vengeance Juggs can transfer all their DoTs with Smash or Vengeful Slam. Annihilation Mara's can transfer Rupture & Force Gash with Smash. Madness Sorcs & Hatred Sins transfer Affliction/Discharge & Creeping Terror with Death Field, and as far as I can see Virulence Snipers can do something just as easy. None of these transfers require casts.

Need to have both DoTs spread by either Explosive Dart or Fusion Missile, not require both to spread both.

Edited by Dropfall

The "spreading DoTs" thing is throwing something of a bone to the spec, you carry out your rotation and as a filler you use Explosive Dart and Fusion Missile.

So if there's enough targets the DoT spreading will increase your damage done.

It won't be MAJOR damage but even some fluffy DoT is better than the current almost zero AOE that pyro can do while still doing the rotation.

The "spreading DoTs" thing is throwing something of a bone to the spec, you carry out your rotation and as a filler you use Explosive Dart and Fusion Missile.

So if there's enough targets the DoT spreading will increase your damage done.

It won't be MAJOR damage but even some fluffy DoT is better than the current almost zero AOE that pyro can do while still doing the rotation.

BW is 'throwing a bone' to pretty much all specs with DoTs; it's just not the same sized bone.

There's also the issue of why would I be doing close to my normal rotation when killing mobs of adds; I don't do it on live, why force me to in 3.0.

If the ramp up time is too silly, as they have it currently, and the damage pitiful (as you claim), why bother spreading DoTs when the current Merc AOE works just fine?

Honestly, would have been happy just to have Sweeping Blasters apply the CGC DoT to all targets it hits...

I was going to do a comparison between DOT spec Mercs and Sorcs...then I realized there's no point. Bioware already sat down and decided that one ranged DOT spec would be able to maintain and spread two of their key DOTs simply by using a core, rotational skill. They decided the other ranged DOT spec should stop what they're doing for single target damage and use two different, non rotational skills to maintain two of their key DOTs on multiple targets.

Sorcs get DOT spread for free, and at no expense of their single target rotation while Mercs get....a kludge? I'm not sure how to describe it. Heck, I don't know if it's even sustainable. I know Sorc rotations will be sustainable as nothing changes from focusing on single target to AOE DOT spread. It would be nice if the same sort of forethought was applied to Mercs. Or maybe Bioware just got lucky as there's only one place to put spreading DOTs on a Madness Sorc. Who knows.

It will be fun to see lethality snipers and Madness Sorcs/Hatred Sins doing 2-3X times as much damage as all the other dps classes in 3.0.

They might not get killing blows but the super inflated dps numbers from dot spreads will make all random people wanna roll one to get some cool dps done themselfs.

It will be fun to see lethality snipers and Madness Sorcs/Hatred Sins doing 2-3X times as much damage as all the other dps classes in 3.0.

They might not get killing blows but the super inflated dps numbers from dot spreads will make all random people wanna roll one to get some cool dps done themselfs.

Yeah, all this dot spreading BS really promotes the wrong kind of gameplay. The whole thing is just a retarded mechanic.