PvP Class/Spec Mentor(s)

Hei_Atzfel

With all the new to 55's out there... any time is a good time to offer help.

And as far as the difference between having the "best" and having someone that is "good"... we aren't talking about helping someone who has an 1800 ranked rating, we are talking about helping these newbies who are the scourge of every decent pvp'er. Anyone who has put up 1M damage or healing, or done over 350k prot in a wz is probably competent enough to explain the basics of pvp'ing. And those basics can be the difference between a newb doing under 100k or over 350k damage in a wz, which is huge.

but bibi, who wants to be a basic *****? =/

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great idea as well; thanks for posting.

Like so many others have stated, I am not going to claim to have an abundance of knowledge of any class in the game. I have stated before however, that the problem I see here is that this thread is never going to be read by those that actually need it, or would get the most out of it. All of us that frequent these forums do it for social purposes and for information gathering. When I scan TEH server forum, I also scan the pvp forum as well. When I roll a new class/toon, I read up on decent skill point allocations and basic rotations. I bet that you all do as well.

The point is that the folks that have the most to gain by this opportunity are the same ones that have never heard of Duffy, sithspecs or whatever source you are using and it is this same bunch that tell you to f-off if you whisper any attempt to teach them something or offer advice.

Having said all that, I will echo Iyris that I enjoy talking shop with anyone. I most frequent my operative healer, pyro PT and have been enjoying balance sage/madness sorc lately, so if you ever want to compare notes I'm usually on some toon named Whiskey.

I have stated before however, that the problem I see here is that this thread is never going to be read by those that actually need it, or would get the most out of it.

Agreed. The only solution that I can think of is if you see someone who is struggling and seems like they actually want to get better is for the veteran players to refer them here. Or instead of people raging at the derp in their warzone, just drop the link into the chat instead. Other than that... I got nothin'.

Edited by Prisoner

Merc/Commando: Like'mellyssa/Zachary(or something)

.... reasons? not saying other people aren't good, but these listed are probably some of the best and lol just because people nominate themselves doesn't mean they are great, just saying.... the intention of willingness to help is appreciated, but i think people should learn from the best not those who are very good or "think" are very good.

Lmao, love how I get recognized on an alt that was originally only made to troll a guildmate, but no one probably recognized my main hahahahah!

I nominate:

Operative/Scoundrel: Vps/Iyris

*Fans self.*

Tequila-san voted me!

Anyway, Vps probably knows far more about Lethality and Concealment than me. I'm a one tricky pony. I've dabbled in Lethality lately in regs simply because I find it fun to toss grenades at people, but I don't come close to some of the other DPS Operatives out there - yourself included, Tequila.

*Fans self.*

Tequila-san voted me!

Anyway, Vps probably knows far more about Lethality and Concealment than me. I'm a one tricky pony. I've dabbled in Lethality lately in regs simply because I find it fun to toss grenades at people, but I don't come close to some of the other DPS Operatives out there - yourself included, Tequila.

I didn't realize my opinion meant anything lol. I wouldn't vote for myself do do anything that involves "teaching" or "mentoring" .... maybe calling people stupid ****s that are bads in badlandia.... yeah i excel in that category.

Also as far as this thread is concerned, people can be taught to press buttons and what to use in certain situations and maybe even get a "general" idea. Fact is though and this may sound silly but it's the truth, people need talent. The same way people are talented in sports or art or whatever, if you don't have that flare you won't be as good at this game as the ones that have it, practice makes perfect and you might discover neat tricks that work for you as an individual but if you are mechanical and lack personality in playstyle can't get great. that's my opinion.

Also as far as this thread is concerned, people can be taught to press buttons and what to use in certain situations and maybe even get a "general" idea. Fact is though and this may sound silly but it's the truth, people need talent. The same way people are talented in sports or art or whatever, if you don't have that flare you won't be as good at this game as the ones that have it, practice makes perfect and you might discover neat tricks that work for you as an individual but if you are mechanical and lack personality in playstyle can't get great. that's my opinion.

I have to agree. I played my op exclusively as heals up until a few weeks ago when I started to dabble in lethality. My 3rd match in I had like 1.4 million damage and just under 1600 dps. It's a retardedly easy spec to pick up. The easiest dps IMO(and I main a balance sage lol)

That said... What I've seen Vps do on his op, playing lethality is amazing. Whatever "IT" is that he has that allows him to push the spec the way he does cannot be taught.

As far as mentors go, I would highly recommend Dirty'sanchez (yuck. I hate that name) on any and all of his toons. One of the best overall players I've seen. Able to excel at every class and spec I've seen him play. Very approachable, and helpful in my experience. Even giving me tips to improve in the middle of a match he farmed me in lol.

PS... Obligatory "**** postmortem" just so people don't think I'm just kissing ***

Edited by ace_boogie

Sure, but if those of us of only moderate talent (and I am certainly in this category) don't learn the basics then we might as well delete and get back to RL Those queues are going to be pretty slow if only "great" players queued up.

EDIT (to bring us back to main theme): And this is why writing guides and this mentoring idea seem healthy to me. Sure most people who need it won't read it) and many who get mentored won't ever be truly great, but bringing up the general level of gameplay is, intrinsically, a good thing.

Edited by Seyahat

Thanks for voting me to be a operative mentor. That means a lot.

I do agree with teq, that I don't like to vote for myself base off of just being me, but I do like to think I can help anyone who is interested in playing operative dps or healing to whisper me on any of my toons and set up a time to sit down in TS and go over anything about operative. (I have done a lot of theorycrafting on operatives since 1.2)

Some of my own personal achievements with the class include

-3100 hps

-2400 dps in leth

-1900 dps in conceal

-One of the few operatives who can play concealment in ranked 4s :) (once I find the SS ill post them)

Regardless of operatives..kinda a side note here. If any guild would like to get some more in-depth information on the ranked scene such as strats/positioning/communication/organization or anything in general. Contact one of the officers or myself in PostMortem and we can set up some days to assist you. Personally we want to see a healthy/long lasting ranked scene here on TEH with the games population being where it is now.

Thank you. From you're favorite coke sniffing GM :). http://i.imgur.com/EWevub8.jpg

I do agree with teq, that I don't like to vote for myself base off of just being me, but I do like to think I can help anyone who is interested in playing operative dps or healing to whisper me on any of my toons and set up a time to sit down in TS and go over anything about operative. (I have done a lot of theorycrafting on operatives since 1.2)

-3100 hps

-2400 dps in leth

-1900 dps in conceal

-One of the few operatives who can play concealment in ranked 4s :) (once I find the SS ill post them)

Regardless of operatives..kinda a side note here. If any guild would like to get some more in-depth information on the ranked scene such as strats/positioning/communication/organization or anything in general. Contact one of the officers or myself in PostMortem and we can set up some days to assist you. Personally we want to see a healthy/long lasting ranked scene here on TEH with the games population being where it is now.

Thank you. From you're favorite coke sniffing GM :). http://i.imgur.com/EWevub8.jpg

<3 you vips

-3100 hps

-2400 dps in leth

-1900 dps in conceal

Yo! I'm gonna let you finnish in a second, but Chyren is the greatest Concealment Op of ALL TIME!

Lmao, love how I get recognized on an alt that was originally only made to troll a guildmate, but no one probably recognized my main hahahahah!

I'm Mellyssia and I do NOT endorse his name.

Sorry on the long delay of /rage, i only heard about this yesterday...

Edited by MissilyMilcasia

I've only recently rolled toons on this server, but I'm all for people learning the basics of their class in PvP. Sign me up.

Zacharïah (alt 139) - Gunnery Commando

Chasso - Arsenal Merc (still in midbies right now)

I have a good deal of PvP experience on Shadowlands (my original server) and POT5 (until ranked 8s died). I don't rage at people who want to learn :p