The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Flagging system

Cordarn

OWPVP can happen wherever players wish it too. It's not confined to designated areas at all.

And FFS, stop with the "go to a pvp server" rhetoric. Everyone knows those servers have a much lower population, and if you want to do any raiding at all, a pvp server isn't an option. Being interested in PVP does not exclude someone from being eligible to enjoy the rest of the game as well.

Bull. You can't attack player unless the player is flagged or fires on you by accident. Quit crying and I can see why you don't PVP on a PVP server. No one likes getting beat all the time.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its AUTO TARGET not AUTO ATTACK.

OP attacked the target with a direct damage attack.

If you misquote the rules of the game do you really think the devs will listen, they know the rules.

Misquoting the rules will mostly make them ignore you.

Try reading what I described again instead of being an eager beaver hungry for opportunities to tell people they're "wrong".

1)2) If you start an attack and the target dies between the time you push the button and the time the attack actually starts auto target will hit the next closest target. Happens all the time to ranged DPS, both those I play with and others I've watched..

^ This.

Add in a moment of lag, or the time it takes the "press button" thought to process in the brain and reach the finger and the muscles to trigger, and it's absolutely possible to have the auto-target hop to a flagged enemy PC.

With auto-target on (and this is why I turn it off), you never know what an attack will target next.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Bull. You can't attack player unless the player is flagged or fires on you by accident. Quit crying and I can see why you don't PVP on a PVP server. No one likes getting beat all the time.

You clearly haven't read anything i've posted. try again.

Simple, he should not attack other players, then he won't get flagged.

OP directly attacked another player, no bug, no AOE, no auto nothing.

Then he came here to weep.

You griefers sure like to leave out all the intentional acts your fellow griefer used to set up that situation. Is that what you learned in Ranger school? I'm sure you'll report me again you battle hardened vet. That last warning was dropped by the way.

Seriously you griefers on here are some of the most selfish and dishonest people in this game. One of your fellow griefers goes through extraordinary lengths to set some one up to flag them for pvp and all you guys can do is blame the OP. The OP wasnt running around randomly targeting and mashing an attack button. One of your fellow griefers intentionally and carefully setup a situation that was easily caused by someone who was already in a committed act. This is also not the definition of working as intended.

The OP shouldnt have to worry about becoming flagged when he doesn't want to be on a PvE server. No matter what circumstances you griefers can create.

You griefers sure like to leave out all the intentional acts your fellow griefer used to set up that situation. Is that what you learned in Ranger school? I'm sure you'll report me again you battle hardened vet. That last warning was dropped by the way.

Seriously you griefers on here are some of the most selfish and dishonest people in this game. One of your fellow griefers goes through extraordinary lengths to set some one up to flag them for pvp and all you guys can do is blame the OP. The OP wasnt running around randomly targeting and mashing an attack button. One of your fellow griefers intentionally and carefully setup a situation that was easily caused by someone who was already in a committed act. This is also not the definition of working as intended.

The OP shouldnt have to worry about becoming flagged when he doesn't want to be on a PvE server. No matter what circumstances you griefers can create.

Please stop griefing me on the forums. Your griefing is causing me grief, and all this talk of griefers and griefing is just too much griefing.

See i can throw the word around too. Means no more when you say it.

How DARE you hold ME accountable for MY actions!

Yes! How DARE he try to hold BW accountable for stupid design?

Unfortunaetly OP BW tacitly supports prp flag griefing. They are desperate for people to opvp. Unintended PvP flagging has existed since day one. The simple solution is to make it impossible to be flagged unless you manually turn it on, no matter what! Additionally, it should be impossible for a flagged person to join a group unless everyone else in that group is already flagged.

Sadly bioware will never do this because they want opvp of any kind, even if it makes a section of the player base miserable.

Que the pvp supremacists and bioware apologists!

So what?! So what if this is how this guy rolls all day and night? YOU are the guilty one for being sloppy and attacking him. Why would you have created a thread on the forums just to announce what you did?! I don't get it...:confused:

Looking for a solution? Be careful. Pay attention. KNOW your target...

WHY are you so determined to defend pvp griefing? Every single time this topic comes up I see you here defending it. Are you so desperate to pvp that you have to have the ability to trip up people who explicitly do not want to pvp??

I play on a pve server with my flag off. I shouldnt have to watch my back in case of some pvp guy trying to trip me up and engage me even though i dont want to. I shouldnt have to wait 2 or 3 seconds everytime i want to fire off an ability to make sure that i dont inadvertantly target some pvper who is trying to get himself targetted so that he can grief me.

I play my way and should not be forced by some idiotic design decision to play some one else's way, a way which i explicitly opted out of.

Edited by BaronV

Point taken on the IMO thing. I do see you post that quite often.

Regarding changing the system, yes, you're right. Some do abuse it. But the potential for abuse is far outweighed by the spontaneous pvp it generates. Someone who runs around flagged is actively inviting PVP. I do it all the time to try to start something. It's not a surprise when someone attacks me, since I'm expecting it (I don't run around flagged all the time, sometimes I just want to get the dailies done asap). Sometimes i can be riding my speeder by a group and get attacked. that probably wouldn't happen if they had to manually flag. That's what i mean by only a small window to react. Sometimes you just have to give people a nudge to get them to go. Having to manually flip a toggle makes it a lot more than a nudge.

This is how I read your statement:

"I want this ability because it gives me enjoyment even though it is abused to take enjoyment away from others" :rolleyes:

I did NOT attack him on purpose, therefore, he did not have my consent. If I did attack him on purpose then he'd have my consent. If a glass cup falls from the table and you didn't want to but it did anyways because of an accident does that mean it had your consent to fall and shatter on the floor?

You can accidentally run someone over and kill them in your car, you are still spending a night in a cell.

Learn to control your button mashing and it wont happen, and stop blaming other people your own ineptitude.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

I

Your best bet is report the problem player for griefing and open a ticket reporting who auto-targeting caused a problem. That's probably the best thing you can do.

Sadly bioware has come out and said that they don't consider pvp griefing to be a problem and that everything is working as intended (they didnt actually say that though - they said something along the likes of "player actions that can be resolved via in game pvp is not considered griefing" or similar)

Garbage.

You will have people healing mobs all over the place to prevent flagged players killing them if it does not flag them.

What you suggest would create far more griefing than what appears to happen on PVE servers now.

To be honest, we get one of these threads, what, monthly at most? It clearly is not a common occurance, or the people it happens to just crack on with the game and don't cry like a kid with a skinned knee.

You can accidentally run someone over and kill them in your car, you are still spending a night in a cell.

Learn to control your button mashing and it wont happen, and stop blaming other people your own ineptitude.

There is a WORLD of difference between accidentally running a person on the street over and hitting a person who suddenly and purposefully jumped in front of your car with the hope that you would hit him so that he could sue you.

Your analogy does not hold up

the easy solution to that is to make it so that it is impossible to heal a ob of your faction unless you are already pvp flagged.

Heck go a step further and make it impossible to interact in any way with a mob someone has already taken! People have no business getting involved in other people's fights anyway. If I want your "help" I'll ask for it thank you very much.

At the end of the day, people do not think before they press buttons.

Two people are flagged and fighting, one is grouped, he is losing, his mate heals him and whines that he then gets killed too.

That is usually the reason people have become flagged in MMOs where there is a choice, from the time they stopped making true, full PVP MMOs.

Most will usually then lie and say they did nothing and the other person was exploiting.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

This. Over and over and over again. THIS.

So, this is what it come down to, and you're cosigning it with this post:

"I only want to PvP when I know I can win, any other time, I want to avoid it like the plague". So you have two options, run around w/out flagging, hoping to see someone that is, or, roll on a stealth class, and try to pull off a bug proc in an AoE, or do what the griefer mentioned in the OP did, and hope you can yell Surprise, when they flag themselves. I guess there is a third option, you can camp mission hubs on Tatooine at 55. All of these are the same thing. Looking for a way to get an "easy win". It's funny, to me, that the vast majority of flagged people I see are in their respective bases, or running around on planets like Taris, with the battle cry of "But the other faction is here". It really shows the caliber of OW PvPers that decide they need to roll on a PvE server, doesn't it?

Seriously, It was not my fault it tab targeted him immediately and then I died.

That's not tab-targeting, that's auto-targeting. Tab targeting is manual and nothing gets targeted when you kill your target until you MANUALLY hit tab.

It's your fault the auto-target "feature" is still turned on. Turn it off.

LOL! Uh...yeah...that's how it happens. Don't be lazy...know your target. This works perfectly.

Wow can you be any more rude???

This happened to me too. A level 55 was on Alderaan, who knows what he was doing there. I did an AOE attack on a group of 4, he slinks up and gets hit, thus flagging me. Well you can imagine what a level 55 can do to a level 26.

There are a lot of things BW needs to fix in this game....still...but they won't.

And while I'm on it: Congrats to all PvP-premades facerolling on RP-PvE-servers. You're the best. You manage to win against casuals. Good job. Why do you have a PvP-guild on a RP-PvE-server again? Right. Because you're too bad for the real thing.

Reading through this thread, I just wanted to point out how LOL this comment is.

Ahem; dear JattaGin,

You are a moron.

That is all.