The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Flagging system

Cordarn

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can accidentally run someone over and kill them in your car, you are still spending a night in a cell.

Learn to control your button mashing and it wont happen, and stop blaming other people your own ineptitude.

Except you griefers keep leaving out the entire part where someone dropped in and hit the mob for the last strike at the same time the OP did. Hoping he had his auto target on. Which he did. Causing the OPs strike to hit the griefer.

So your analogy would be perfect if you added the fact that someone was pushed in front of the car right as it was approaching so that the driver had no chance to stop. But the problem with that is that it would show that the driver wasn't at fault. It was the guy that created the situation and exploited the fact that the driver couldn't stop in time.

And what is it with these horrible analogies. The last guy that did tried to say he was a veteran to prove he knew what he was talking about. Not to mention you guys skip out all the important details just like you do when you are using an analogy.

Edited by HammerOneOne

So, this is what it come down to, and you're cosigning it with this post:

"I only want to PvP when I know I can win, any other time, I want to avoid it like the plague". So you have two options, run around w/out flagging, hoping to see someone that is, or, roll on a stealth class, and try to pull off a bug proc in an AoE, or do what the griefer mentioned in the OP did, and hope you can yell Surprise, when they flag themselves. I guess there is a third option, you can camp mission hubs on Tatooine at 55. All of these are the same thing. Looking for a way to get an "easy win". It's funny, to me, that the vast majority of flagged people I see are in their respective bases, or running around on planets like Taris, with the battle cry of "But the other faction is here". It really shows the caliber of OW PvPers that decide they need to roll on a PvE server, doesn't it?

Go back, and actually read the thread. Not what I've been saying at all. This isn't about tanking lowbies, or trying to trick carebears into flagging. I don't think the mechanic should be changed so that button mashers are protected at the expense of actual owpvp.

Except you griefers keep leaving out the entire part where someone dropped in and hit the mob for the last strike at the same time the OP did. Hoping he had his auto target on. Which he did. Causing the OPs strike to hit the griefer.

So your analogy would be perfect if you added the fact that someone was pushed in front of the car right as it was approaching so that the driver had no chance to stop. But the problem with that is that it would show that the driver wasn't at fault. It was the guy that created the situation and exploited the fact that the driver couldn't stop in time.

And what is it with these horrible analogies. The last guy that did tried to say he was a veteran to prove he knew what he was talking about. Not to mention you guys skip out all the important details just like you do when you are using an analogy.

Greifers? Butt hurt much?

Show me on the doll where the bad PvPer touched you...

I think the window for this to happen is smaller than people are making it out to be, the player who delivers the killing blow has to time it exactly as the other player is about to attack, there's probably a half second window before the player would recognize the target as dead and it's pretty hard to time things that precisely. This also can generally only happen with instant abilities as anything with an activation time will fizzle if the target is dead rather than autotargeting.

I also think that this probably is solved by just toggling autotarget off, an existing functionality that doesn't require additional cycles and doesn't impact the way flags operate.

IDK tho, the very premise of OW pvp is mostly about uneven battles and opportunistic interactions, if you wanted fair pvp you would play arenas, so when OW pvp isn't fair I don't think that's a problem.

I rolled on an RP-PVP server when I came back but I rarely see people out in the world when I'm wandering around, overall population is pretty low though :(

Greifers? Butt hurt much?

Show me on the doll where the bad PvPer touched you...

If you aren't griefers then you are supporting them. No difference to me. But that doll line you keep using. Did you learn that at UDT?

And stop with that line. It's incredibly hypocritical since you like to try and report people that challenge you.

23 pages and still not one person can articulate the problem without misrepresenting the game mechanics...

Leads one to think there is no problem.

It's been done several times. Apparently you choose to gloss over the fact that a griefer created a situation in order to take advantage of someone that didn't want to pvp. All you want to do is jump to the very end of the story.

If you aren't griefers then you are supporting them. No difference to me. But that doll line you keep using. Did you learn that at UDT?

And stop with that line. It's incredibly hypocritical since you like to try and report people that challenge you.

So PvP = Griefer, got it.

OP attacked first, does that make him a griefer too?

It's been done several times. Apparently you choose to gloss over the fact that a griefer created a situation in order to take advantage of someone that didn't want to pvp. All you want to do is jump to the very end of the story.

I believe the great Mick Jagger once said, "You can't always get what you want."

But actually, the PVE player was just as responsible for creating that situation. If your auto-target is on, this can happen. The PVE player can turn it off and this situation doesn't occur.

The "griefer" took advantage of that perhaps, but so what? So a PVE person gets touched by PVP... not the end of the world. Certainly not worth the level of whining that finds its way to the forums over one PVP death.

Oh that is right, the entire reason for flagging is to trick blues.

Do you often have this fantasy that the all the strangers in the game are out to get you?

And no one has posted a real problem, quote it.

Edited by Foambreaker

if the pvp players were grow a brain cell and all go to the same server, they would have a unified voice and a leg to stand on. by hiding out on pve servers, they make their contingent invisible and unheard.

Your assumption that nobody on a PvE server enjoys PvP is absurd. I play on a PvP server, know what I do most of my time online? PvE. Ops & FPs.

If someone doesn't want to PvP, they probably shouldn't attack other players who do huh?!

I believe the great Mick Jagger once said, "You can't always get what you want."

But actually, the PVE player was just as responsible for creating that situation. If your auto-target is on, this can happen. The PVE player can turn it off and this situation doesn't occur.

The "griefer" took advantage of that perhaps, but so what? So a PVE person gets touched by PVP... not the end of the world. Certainly not worth the level of whining that finds its way to the forums over one PVP death.

Quote it.

And then when they die ONCE they should not come to the forums and weep. :D

Agreed!

Now, I give the OP a lot of credit, he owned up to his mistake and accepted responsibility after he realized how the mechanics worked, that's all we could ask of anyone! But others here are being absolutely ridiculous "unless I sign a waiver specifically stating that I wanna PvP on that exact day at that exact moment, I should NEVER be flagged no matter what I do."...my God lol.

Your assumption that nobody on a PvE server enjoys PvP is absurd. I play on a PvP server, know what I do most of my time online? PvE. Ops & FPs.

you can pve just fine on a pvp server. If you expect your voice as a pvper to have any weight, you will need to show that their is an actual community of people that pvp together out in the world. if you concentrate your numbers, that will go a long way to showing that. otherwise you are just a few annoying flies that generate cs tickets.

you can pve just fine on a pvp server. If you expect your voice as a pvper to have any weight, you will need to show that their is an actual community of people that pvp together out in the world. if you concentrate your numbers, that will go a long way to showing that. otherwise you are just a few annoying flies that generate cs tickets.

I am a raider on a PVE server. Every now and then if I see someone flagged for PVP, I choose to take a chance to take them down. If I win, I am happy. If I lose, I get on with my life.

I recommend the people throwing the term "griefer" around incorrectly do the same.

Oh that is right, the entire reason for flagging is to trick blues.

Do you often have this fantasy that the all the strangers in the game are out to get you?

And no one has posted a real problem, quote it.

Not he whole reason is so that people can PvP and people can't covertly assist PvP without flagging themselves. But griefers create situations to get around the system. That's the problem.

Ironically the system is in place to keep PvPrs from griefing each other.

Edited by HammerOneOne

Not he whole reason is so that people can PvP and people can't covertly assist PvP without flagging themselves. But griefers create situations to get around the system. That's the problem.

And you can articulate the problem, what situation, got any facts besides just name calling?

Seems to me all you do is post insults, no facts.

The issue of this thread was that the OP didn't know you could turn off auto-targeting.

Auto-targeting selects the "next enemy." Perhaps BioWare should simply change auto-target so that if you are not flagged for PvP, auto-targeting would not consider any non-red target an "enemy."