Flagging system

Cordarn

Well as I said earlier, I am a carebear and avoid PvP. But, being of sound mind, mostly, and still having some rational thought in my noggin I'd like to honestly ask, are there any videos of this auto flagging that have recently occurred? Is there any proof at all of what is being purported to happen to autoflag someone into PvP? Because, I have been doing the rakghoulish deal and have done the Gree event where people have said it happens most often, and it has never happened to me, even when using my XS Flyby and incendiary grenades. I've watched flagged players run through my attacks and yet, I have never been auto flagged by them. So, if you want to convince me, a carebear, that this actually happens. Get video proof of it. Edited by ikinai

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can pve just fine on a pvp server. If you expect your voice as a pvper to have any weight, you will need to show that their is an actual community of people that pvp together out in the world. if you concentrate your numbers, that will go a long way to showing that. otherwise you are just a few annoying flies that generate cs tickets.

Community? What are you talking about? I'm me...just me. Only my opinion. I'm not pretending to speak for anyone besides myself...so what the hell are you talking about exactly?! And why do "I" generate CS tickets?! I'm lost man...

And people that do shouldn't be trying to trick people into either huh?

I'm not making any excuses for that d-bags behavior...I'm just saying that if YOU don't want to PvP, don't attack players who do. We're only able to control what we do...not others.

Auto-targeting selects the "next enemy." Perhaps BioWare should simply change auto-target so that if you are not flagged for PvP, auto-targeting would not consider any non-red target an "enemy."

A fine suggestion! Are they yellow to you or how exactly do they show up?

Auto-targeting selects the "next enemy." Perhaps BioWare should simply change auto-target so that if you are not flagged for PvP, auto-targeting would not consider any non-red target an "enemy."

/facepalm

It's not auto target, auto target only TARGETS it doesn't ATTACK.

OP ATTACKED WITHOUT LOOKING.

If this was a flashpoint and he caused a wipe by shooting mobs without looking everyone would think different, but since OP attacked a PvPer without looking that triggers the butt hurt witch hunt.

/facepalm

If this was a flashpoint and he caused a wipe by shooting mobs without looking everyone would think different, but since OP attacked a PvPer without looking that triggers the butt hurt witch hunt.

None of this is relevant or correct based on what the OP has said. Auto target will cause your abilities to hit any enemy in range without the need to target them manually. If I am hitting my ability to attack something and you come out of stealth and kill what I'm attacking, auto target will cause me to attack you. There is literally nothing the OP could have done outside of disabling this functionality.

None of this is relevant or correct based on what the OP has said. Auto target will cause your abilities to hit any enemy in range without the need to target them manually. If I am hitting my ability to attack something and you come out of stealth and kill what I'm attacking, auto target will cause me to attack you. There is literally nothing the OP could have done outside of disabling this functionality.

This myth was dispelled 15 pages ago. If you start casting, and the target dies, the cast fails.

Plain and simple.

/facepalm

Auto-targeting is not tab-targeting. Auto targeting happens when you attack without a live target.

A new target is automatically selected and the attack then executes.

This can happen pretty often in an op where, pretty dang often, your current target gets killed by someone else an instant before you attack it (usually right before a cull or ravage, in my experience :rolleyes:). It's useful when you are burning large groups of trash mobs. It's a liability when it selects and attacks a CC'd target or a target in another group that has not been agg'ed yet.

What reason can you offer for objecting to changing auto-targeting so that it only ever targets red targets?

Edited by BuriDogshin

Auto-targeting is not tab-targeting. Auto targeting happens when you attack without a live target.

A new target is automatically selected and the attack then executes.

Like I said, auto target doesn't attack, it only targets.

OP Attacked.

Computer software changes can't help OP if he doesn't look at his target before he attacks, that is a human issue.

This myth was dispelled 15 pages ago. If you start casting, and the target dies, the cast fails.

Plain and simple.

This is absolutely true. Have experienced it many times myself.

As a Commando, if I am casting Grav Round and my target dies, my Grav Round will not switch to another target. What can happen is if I press my hotkey for Grav Round any time after the target dies, it will start casting with my next auto-target ( I leave it on to hopefully decrease dps downtime ). Now, if I don't want to attack that target I have to abort the cast and switch to my intended target.

So, if the enemy died and auto-target was enabled for the OP, then yes, the next channel / instant cast attack they performed would hit the flagged player. So, turn of auto-target when in a cross-faction area if you want to mitigate the risk. This has been reinforced through the thread as the proper solution to the system.

If you really wanted to protect these players, then the farthest I would personally find acceptable would be to make auto-targeting not select flagged players, but still allowing tab or manual targeting of flagged players without pre-flagging yourself.

Just gonna try and put things here to rest. Im half responsible since my auto target was on due to my ignorance; the person who attacked me is responsible for trying to exploit something like that. (if you still don't believe the person who attacked me was exploiting ive already explained how he was out for a easy kill go back six pages.)

Edit:

(Also if you think the person I was attacked by wasn't out for easy kills il let you know again that he attacked a level 31 (granted he was flagged so their wasn't foul play, but he was also level 55.) he attacked the level 31 out of all the flagged 55's in the immediate area. I didn't see him once pop out of stealth to kill anyone at his level who was flagged.

Also just gonna remind everyone that this thread's main point was to see if anyone else agreed with my idea of changing the flagging system to make accidents occur less, not who was responsible for this incident that has sparked 27 pages of debate.

Edited by Cordarn

Just gonna try and put things here to rest. Im half responsible since my auto target was on due to my ignorance; the person who attacked me is responsible for trying to exploit something like that. (if you still don't believe the person who attacked me was exploiting ive already explained how he was out for a easy kill go back six pages.)

Edit:

Please edit your original post so every hour someone new doesn't come along and repost the same stuff we have rehashed for 27 pages...

"Opps" would do just fine :D

/facepalm

OP was attacking a mob when "a shadow in full pvp gear un stealths and kills it right as I use one of my skills," and auto-targeting then "targeted the [yellow] shadow automatically and attacked him." Given the inherent lag of the Internet, this kind of auto-targeting happens all the time and even someone with inhumanly fast reflexes cannot prevent it if auto-targeting is on.

Now, let me ask again:

What reason can you offer for objecting to changing auto-targeting so that it only ever targets red targets?

Plain and simple.

/facepalm yourself

Not all attacks are casts. Casts do break, instants can't be stopped. Under that premise, if I spam Shock to get the last hit in on the enemy and you come out of stealth and kill it while I'm spamming, I'm going to Shock your face and get flagged.

Edit:

The guy who attacked you is a gutless coward who is too scared to do any real PvP...that was established by how he popped out of stealth in your opening post. He's a d-bag...nothing else. I don't think anyone here is defending what he did...I'm certainly not.

However...he didn't exploit anything other than player laziness...and there's nothing Bioware can do to fix that.

Yes, but the timing for this is pretty narrow.

Edit:

Also just gonna remind everyone that this thread's main point was to see if anyone else agreed with my idea of changing the flagging system to make accidents occur less, not who was responsible for this incident that has sparked 27 pages of debate.

I think the overwhelming response is no, it doesn't need to be changed. Having auto-target off by default may be a good option, however.

The guy who attacked you is a gutless coward who is too scared to do any real PvP...

However...he didn't exploit anything other than player laziness...and there's nothing Bioware can do to fix that.

... except, maybe, change auto-targeting so that it only ever targets red targets?

The guy who attacked you is a gutless coward who is too scared to do any real PvP...that was established by how he popped out of stealth in your opening post. He's a d-bag...nothing else. I don't think anyone here is defending what he did...I'm certainly not.

Yea, he "popped" out of stealth alright, when OP let him have both barrels point blank :D

That made him "pop"

Perhaps, but the negative consequences for the greifer trying to take advantage of it are zero.

And it beats waiting around for a Q-pop only to get globaled by the PvPers who have actual skills.

Name calling..

Assume all flagged PvPers are really flagged because they are looking for easy kills...

Hate much?

I think the overwhelming response is no, it doesn't need to be changed. Having auto-target off by default may be a good option, however.

No, actually, it's just the same people going back and forth. With one claiming no one has made a valid point by simply ignoring any point that doesn't agree with his view. If you go by number of posters instead of number of posts, you can't really draw a conclusion as to support or not for any solution or for no change at all.