The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Q: People selling CM packs for 1/2 prices

Theeko

Ive noticed a major flux of CM packs being sold at like 1/2 or even less than that in game, someone just sold 5 packs of the Senechals for 425k total, and yet the packs cost 300 coins each, would any average player sell that low, or is this just a fishy CCfer scam? Also a friend of mine picked up 5 hypercrates of senechals for 2.5m each in game, yet it costs about 6650 CCs? Edited by Theeko

They actually sold them on fleet chat, not on the gtn (Hypercrates + the 5 packs) Also from like a couple weeks ago I saw someone listing about 40 hypercrates of the Gate keeper's packs on Shadowlands for like 2m each which cost about 4450 coins I believe or around there. Edited by Theeko

They actually sold them on fleet chat, not on the gtn (Hypercrates + the 5 packs) Also from like a couple weeks ago I saw someone listing about 40 hypercrates of the Gate keeper's packs on Shadowlands for like 2m each which cost about 4450 coins I believe or around there.

Very strange. I can't think of a legit reason someone would sell them that low unless if they had an insane amount of Cartel Coins to burn through and wanted to sell the packs ASAP.

If that isn't it, either they're attempting to scam people, or they're not that smart.

If you feel the pricing is too cheap buy it and repost it for what you feel would be appropriate.

That only works when there aren't 39 more listings of the same item.

And when it comes to Hypercrates, they tend to lose a big chunk of their value once a new one is released.

So, unless the OP is willing to buy a few and wait a fairly long time for all the others to be sold, there is no point in buying with the purpose of reselling.

Plus, these days people know that at some point Bioware is going to bring discontinued Hypercrates back for a short amount of time, so even if it's been a while since they've been removed from the CM, they are still not going to buy them for a high enough price for the reseller to have a healthy profit.

That only works when there aren't 39 more listings of the same item.

And when it comes to Hypercrates, they tend to lose a big chunk of their value once a new one is released.

So, unless the OP is willing to buy a few and wait a fairly long time for all the others to be sold, there is no point in buying with the purpose of reselling.

Plus, these days people know that at some point Bioware is going to bring discontinued Hypercrates back for a short amount of time, so even if it's been a while since they've been removed from the CM, they are still not going to buy them for a high enough price for the reseller to have a healthy profit.

If all 39 listings are from the same person, then it is likely he/she has a considerable amount of money to be spent on virtual currency that they hope to translate into credits via fast sales. If the 39 listings are from a variety of players, then that is just where the market is right now with regards to the supply/demand of that particular pack. It may not feel like the price is justifiable for the cc you spent, but there is not much you can do other than hold onto your packs and sell them when they are removed from the cartel market.

If all 39 listings are from the same person, then it is likely he/she has a considerable amount of money to be spent on virtual currency that they hope to translate into credits via fast sales. If the 39 listings are from a variety of players, then that is just where the market is right now with regards to the supply/demand of that particular pack. It may not feel like the price is justifiable for the cc you spent, but there is not much you can do other than hold onto your packs and sell them when they are removed from the cartel market.

True, but still, 39 packs (or hypercrates or whatever) are a lot either way.

It doesn't really make a difference to a potential reseller. By the time the market will have managed to absorb 40 packs (and even worse, 40 hypercrates) players will have moved on to the next pack/hypercrate.

At least that has been my experience. If the market is saturated, it's not profitable to buy and resell.

IMO both Conquest and Hypercrates are losing their allure. Anybody remember when the CM market first hit? Holy crap you'd think fleet was under attack from all the * KE-RANG * of HCs being opened.

Or perhaps folks are saving for the next installment.

Conquest? Meh, more like "Craftquest". (And make no mistake, Conquest has taken a lot of money out of the economy)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention they were all from the same person while at the same time he had 15 senechal hypercrates, and about 25 constable hypercrates listed at the same time as well

if that's true then it's obviously a case of stolen credit card.

Or cards. I don't think anyone could buy that many cartel coins without raising a flag.

I guess they were just being a good simaritin. What server was this on?

They're on Shadowlands, but not sure if there on any other server or not probably the most populated ones and it seems they own a stronghold as well cause I did a who on one of there names they were lvl 1 on DK

It's been happening for well over a year. By that I mean random name with ASCII characters appears selling 20+ crates at way below market value so often that it sinks the value of packs. The character is almost always level 1. Gold sellers with stolen credit cards seems like the obvious answer, still it makes you wander how they haven't dealt with the problem yet.

if that's true then it's obviously a case of stolen credit card.

Or cards. I don't think anyone could buy that many cartel coins without raising a flag.

Yes, it "obviously" is a case of a stolen credit card.

No other possible option!

There are people out there who could easily spend a few thousand dollars on this game, just to turn it from hard to easy. That is one possible answer anyway...

Yeah, but would they really even consider not breaking even atleast, if they were rich irl instead of selling stuff for like 1/4th the price of the cost of CCs in game? I would've thought they would want to get as much as they could maby

IE: I spent 750 ccs on one unlock but sold for 1.2m in game, yet they buy something for 6650 coins and sell for only 3.5m in game?

Edited by Theeko

Yeah, but would they really even consider not breaking even atleast, if they were rich irl instead of selling stuff for like 1/4th the price of the cost of CCs in game? I would've thought they would want to get as much as they could maby

IE: I spent 750 ccs on one unlock but sold for 1.2m in game, yet they buy something for 6650 coins and sell for only 3.5m in game?

Some people are bad at math. Others don't care...

not a scam. there are some of us Rich people who do waste 1k+ a month on hypercrates to make credits.

you gotta remember it's easyer to buy & Sell crates then to farm dailys on 12 toons.

overall i know one person on EH who is rich as hell who Regularly buys 50-100 crates & sells them at 2 to 3m pop.

do i think it's wrong. yeah . because cost of USD to Credits is 1m for 4.58 to 5.02USD if you look at sites .

But hypercrates is a legal way to rake in credits so some buy in masses.

how else do you think this game makes 40mil+ a year alone from cartel coins?

although their was for few days a Cartel Exploit & someone finding a backdoor into shop to add unlimited Cartel coins before EA jumped to it. so no telling if someones still doing this.

Also

ever thought of EA/Bioware doing this to sink up everyones credits? pretty smart idea if you ask me to do a weekly credit purge with crates infact i do know one game where devs do this to remove Ingame cash.

/SNIP

ever thought of EA/Bioware doing this to sink up everyones credits? pretty smart idea if you ask me to do a weekly credit purge with crates infact i do know one game where devs do this to remove Ingame cash.

I doubt BioWare would do something like this themselves. Providing Cartel Market items at ridiculously low in-game prices seems counter-productive. There are plenty of ways to do credit sinks that don't discourage people from using the cash shop.

Yeah, if they wanted creds out of the game doubt they would approach the way of listing free hypercrates for 1/3rd the price of in game creds, so no one will tend to buy anymore hypercrates on the CM ever again. TBH its either some rich people irl that don't care or it is indeed CCfers.