Open alien species for free? Too many humans!

Highsis

I think there are too many humans in SWTOR world which is supposed to be multi-racial. I understand humans are more populous than aliens, but it seems as though there are way more humans than all other species combined. This is immersion breaking. I think this is one of few areas where species should be available from get-go.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are too many humans in SWTOR world which is supposed to be multi-racial. I understand humans are more populous than aliens, but it seems as though there are way more humans than all other species combined. This is immersion breaking. I think this is one of few areas where species should be available from get-go.

I was thinking about that myself. Here on the forum people are like "WE MUST HAVE MORE RACES TO CHOOSE FROM!!!!!" but, when I get to the Fleet and walk around the GTN area (or anywhere on Fleet for that matter) over 90% of the Characters are HUMANS (or Cyborgs)!!!

What's that all about?

Personally I enjoy creating Cyborgs because I like being human and haveing a cool eye patch or other Cyborg appearance options for my character.

I don't think it breaks immersion at all but I think you observation is interesting.

Edited by GalaxyStrong

Part of the problem was a severe lack of customization options for the non human races. No one likes uglyhair-itis!

Eugh. This is why I play my humans more often.

And Twi'leks could use an upgrade on their makeup option for females (maybe separate markings from makeup, please?) And more markings.

Hardly.

Almost everyone of any consequence in the 6 movies was human.

It's immersion breaking for me not because it's different from movies but because SW itself is supposed to be a space opera game which is inherently more interesting with diversity. I don't like playing an Alien to find out that I'm like the only alien PC on a planet.

I was thinking about that myself. Here on the forum people are like "WE MUST HAVE MORE RACES TO CHOOSE FROM!!!!!" but, when I get to the Fleet and walk around the GTN area (or anywhere on Fleet for that matter) over 90% of the Characters are HUMANS (or Cyborgs)!!!

What's that all about?

Personally I enjoy creating Cyborgs because I like being human and haveing a cool eye patch or other Cyborg appearance options for my character.

I don't think it breaks immersion at all but I think you observation is interesting.

I agree that the majority are going to play humans, I think if we had more interesting options people would play them.

Seems like there are a lot of twi'lek females, and I bet you would see a lot of rodian bounty hunters.

You would probally see more zabrak assassin but frankly I'm not too keen on then current tattoo options for that species, now if I could make one that looked more like savage from clone wars....I Probally would make one.

It's not that people don't like chiss and stuff but that's really an EU species and so a lot of those are not relatable to a lot of people that only watched the starwars films

Out of my 18 toons on Harbinger, maybe 2 are human. 3 are Sith, 3 Cathar, 2 Chiss, 3 Cyborg, 2 Zabrak, and one of every other species except Rattataki ... I hate Kalyio that much, I guess.

YMMV. Especially if you like the hair styles that only humans currently get ...

Edited by BuriDogshin

*checks across the servers* Human Trooper, Human Trooper, Human BH, Human BH, Human Agent, Human Agent, and... That's all of my humans across several servers. Have one Miraluka, one Chiss, three Cathar, at least two Zabrak, one Ratataki, several Cyborgs, one Mirialan, two Sith.

Haven't rolled a Twi'lek yet, because I want to play a female one, but the marking/makeup combo thing really bothers me. Cool marking have awful makeup, so I have to switch skin colors to one I like less, but looks better with the makeup.

Humans have the most customization options. Chiss have a few new colors, Mirialan have a few new markings, but Humans have the most with white eyes, hair colors, and hair styles.

Eugh. This is why I play my humans more often.

And Twi'leks could use an upgrade on their makeup option for females (maybe separate markings from makeup, please?) And more markings.

This is my biggest pet peeve about the creation/customization system. Lekku markings need to be separate of makeup on Twi'leks and Hair needs to be separated from headbone formations on Zabraks. I would love to change my Shadow's hairstyle but that would mean changing her headbone formation, which I like a lot.

Cathar: Two ( Both Republic )

Chiss: Four ( All Imperial )

Cyborg: Five ( Three Imperial; Two Republic )

Human: Six ( Two Republic; Four Imperial )

Miraluka: Three ( All Republic )

Mirialan: Three ( All Republic )

Pureblood Sith: Four ( All Imperial )

Rattataki: Two ( Both Imperial )

Twi'lek: Three ( Two Republic; One Imperial )

Zabrak: Three ( Two Republic; One Imperial )

- - - -

Could be worse; My distaste for the Rattataki also shows. :D

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Unlocking more races would't change anything, the same thing happens in all games, regardless how cool/appealing aliens are majority still goes for basic humans

Or Cyborgs, which are pretty much the same as humans.

In fact, as far as female are concerned, some hairstyles remove specific Cyborg implants entirely.

This is immersion breaking.

How is your immersion broken?

The vast majority of folk in Star Wars lore of any real importance were human.

Humans are the most populated species in the Star Wars universe.

It's working as intended.

Unless they make them more interesting AND provide the same level of options I find with humans AND provide additional racial specific customizations, at least for me, it won't matter.

Until then, I'll keep making mostly human characters.

Edited by DawnAskham

Part of the problem was a severe lack of customization options for the non human races. No one likes uglyhair-itis!

Definitely true! The "9" alien face choices for each race are actually 3 face choices with slightly different textures and you don't get any tattoo options and for some reason aliens can't be cyborgs or have all the human hairstyles. It only makes sense that Rattataki, Twi'leks, and Zabraks wouldn't have access to all of those, but it doesn't make sense for Chiss, Sith purebloods, Miraluka or Mirialans.

Me:

Twiliek: 2 pub & 1 imp

Cyborg: 4 pub & 1 imp

Zabrak: 1 pub & 1 imp

Cathar: 1 pub & 3 imp

Chiss: 1 pub & 1 imp

P. Sith: 1 pub & 1 imp

Miraluka: 1 pub

Rattataki: 1 imp

Mirialan: 1 imp

Human: 1 imp

I personally like the cyborg looks, and veered away from humans, but for the one.

(However, when Togruta get introduced, 1 twi'lek (pub) and 1 cathar (imp) will get makeovers.)

As others have pointed out, the severe lack of customizations for aliens is a disincentive to roll them. Now I do have 2 of each (lumping Zabraks together), but I have extra humans because I wanted to use the new hair. If that hair were available for other species, I would have rolled something else since I find humans to be boring. If those styles do become available for other species, I see some re-rolling in my future!

According to Wookipedia, on sith:

"More than 98% of Lord Vitiate's Sith Empire was of pureblood Sith descent" - > this is revealed in the game, too.

Also offspring of human/sith hybrid mostly follow physical traits of their pureblood parent with red skins and facial features.

This means SWTOR's lore population should consist many siths. Yet 90% players only play humans.

I want to see more aliens overall. Even if humans are dominent this is multi-racial world. Some species in game almost looks extinct. I persaonlly would even go as far as giving non human races a small bonus/malus to encrouge their population. (for instance, pureblood gets +2 willpower and -2 aim for they are strong in force; this will see an increase of more pureblood warrior/inquisitor)

Edited by Highsis

Definitely true! The "9" alien face choices for each race are actually 3 face choices with slightly different textures and you don't get any tattoo options and for some reason aliens can't be cyborgs or have all the human hairstyles. It only makes sense that Rattataki, Twi'leks, and Zabraks wouldn't have access to all of those, but it doesn't make sense for Chiss, Sith purebloods, Miraluka or Mirialans.

I agree. For example, I made 1 twilek, female. After a while a tried to make another one. Every time i was working with the CC i ended up making pretty much the same face. I cant seem to be able to create another different one that i'm happy with.

Most my peeps are human, cyborg or mirilian. I do have a zabrak too, the red one. And a Sith. I HAD to be able to sithslap Quinn. lol