Things Veteran Players Wish Newbs Knew

Dras_Keto

Guarding the healer serves no purpose. Guard in PvE is being used to reduce threat. The only way the healer should have any threat is if there is a mob that is not being attacked by anyone. In which case reducing their threat by any amount doesn't matter when they are the only one building threat. That is simply a lack of the tank/DPS picking up all the targets.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great resource for anyone coming into the game. Great Job! I actually learned something as well, considering that I have ever only been a DPS in MMOs. I am now playing a Sith Juggernaut and learning to tank, and I appreciated your thoughts on Threat, Aggro, and Tanking in General.

I would consider this a good beginner's guide for anyone just getting into the game. So many of the things you discuss I have ran into; especially PVP. On my old server, before all the mergings, I used to be part of a great guild of PVPers on the pub side that just dominated the WZs, though there was an equally good sith side guild who was a rival guild of ours. When the merger happened, most of us parted ways, and as far as I can tell, I am still the only one playing, and I miss the good ole days of coordinated PVP with communication and objectives.

Newb players, take these words to heart!

Would you like to go on record with your apparent assertion that guarding a healer is not stupid?

Would you like to go on record without the pointless comment that it is stupid, and stick to more-or-less defensible reasons why you think it's not a good idea?

But hey, if you don't say it's stupid, and then STUPID, no one will see how clever you are.

I don't even ...

So you've never had need to stop a weak or normal enemy from dropping an annoying debuff on you?

What a charmed life you live.

OP's post is clearly just opinion, couched in "wit" and pseudo-facts to give it that nanometer thick sheen of authoritativeness.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Useful, very, very useful.

Loved the explanation on threat because all I could ever find was info on taunt. May have been looking the wrong places.

While reading, it was a very aggressive post, which could turn some of those who need to read this, to not reading it. Which is a shame.

Could also go further in depth, but that could turn this into an MMO 101 course.

Not mentioned: if you dont use teamspeak/vent, youre virtually eliminated form 90%+ of ops groups.

what are you talking about 90%? you can do all SM ops without any voice coms, only Hm/Nim content with complex mechanic ppl need to have some sort of Voice chat program... exp-"DP/DF " all lvl 50 HM can be done without TS/vent/mumble... snv/TFb TC can all be done without TS/Vent mumble on hm..

Edited by Lt-Snake

Not mentioned: if you dont use teamspeak/vent, youre virtually eliminated form 90%+ of ops groups.

Interestingly, Mumble is 10X better than Vent. I use Mumble and have a server and I love it. I also have Vent (client) and it's ok... but it's overly complicated for the sound quality and options you get.

Also... Mumbles overlay actually works.

As a new player just hit cap (who is pretty scared to get in to instance pvp as i don't want to piss people off); can you clarify this? "Dont queue for hardmode flashpoints immediately after hitting 55"

When i look in the group finder there are ONLY hardmode's (other than story mode operations, and as i understand it they are raids so i could steer clear). Just to be clear, do you mean the ones that are marked 55 only rather than the ones marker 50-55 (but still marked hardmode)?

Is it acceptable to cue for the others? (otherwise i see no way of getting in to pve), would it be possible to clarify what peoples "route" in to pve should be please?

As a new player just hit cap (who is pretty scared to get in to instance pvp as i don't want to piss people off); can you clarify this? "Dont queue for hardmode flashpoints immediately after hitting 55"

When i look in the group finder there are ONLY hardmode's (other than story mode operations, and as i understand it they are raids so i could steer clear). Just to be clear, do you mean the ones that are marked 55 only rather than the ones marker 50-55 (but still marked hardmode)?

Tactical 55 FPs are not hard modes. But as noted more than once, if you do the Oricon quest line, you get a (more or less full) set of 156 rated armor. The people who have trouble hanging even in 55 tacticals are the ones in who are playing in 120 (or less) rated green stuff.

Is it acceptable to cue for the others? (otherwise i see no way of getting in to pve), would it be possible to clarify what peoples "route" in to pve should be please?

Again, as noted more than once, you can get 156 rated armor from Oricon and/or crafting. You can get 156 rated main- and off-hand from crafting. You can get 152 rated earpiece and implants from crafting.

Relics are the only items you can't easily and/or cheaply get via crafting and/or questing. You can get 148, I believe, rated relics from level 50 HM bosses, but it's certainly not a guarantee, and Artificers can craft, for themselves only, level 50 ~140 rated relics. You can also get 154 rated relics from the Classic vendors, but they cost 150 Classics each, which is a lot of level 50 HMs just to get relics you will quickly replace with 162s from the Basic vendor (assuming you don't get even better ones from some other source).

In short, there is no excuse for not having your character equipped in 156 rated armor, main-hand and off-hand, and 152 rated earpiece and implants, then whatever are the best relics you can scrounge up.

Edited by branmakmuffin

About Classes

While much of your post seems reasonable, this section seems a little 'tight-***' to me. Like every class 'must' be setup and played exactly in only one way - your way. Some people like to experiment.

My 'pet peeve' is how many people join a random group-finder and then start complaining about other people's setup, playstyle, etc. Of course there's also the ones who've done the FP 100 times and expect everyone else in the PUG to know exactly which way it "should" be played and/or those people who are always in a rush to get it finished.

If you want precision, you should stick to groups comprised only of guildmates on Teamspeak. Otherwise - lighten-the-*bleep*-up. If you are going to go through group-finder you need to accept the randomness that entails. :)

Besides a list of what new players should know, there also needs to be a list of what "leets" should know - it's a short list:

1. Don't be a jerk.

2. See #1

:)

Edited by JediQuaker

While much of your post seems reasonable, this section seems a little 'tight-***' to me. Like every class 'must' be setup and played exactly in only one way - your way. Some people like to experiment.

My 'pet peeve' is how many people join a random group-finder and then start complaining about other people's setup, playstyle, etc. Of course there's also the ones who've done the FP 100 times and expect everyone else in the PUG to know exactly which way it "should" be played and/or those people who are always in a rush to get it finished.

If you want precision, you should stick to groups comprised only of guildmates on Teamspeak. Otherwise - lighten-the-*bleep*-up. If you are going to go through group-finder you need to accept the randomness that entails. :)

Besides a list of what new players should know, there also needs to be a list of what "leets" should know - it's a short list:

1. Don't be a jerk.

2. See #1

Exactly. +1

1. Don't be a jerk.

2. See #1

There is however a difference between being a jerk and trying to help. If someone does something clearly dumb, then I will address it. I guess the corollary to your short list is that non-"leets" need to not take constructive criticisms so personally and get so emotionally worked up over it.

For example: If I see a trooper with no cell active. I don't care if that's their playstyle at that point, I will ask them what spec they are and have them activate the correct cell.

But for the record, this happens rarely.

Edited by azudelphi

There is however a difference between being a jerk and trying to help. If someone does something clearly dumb, then I will address it. I guess the corollary to your short list is that non-"leets" need to not take constructive criticisms so personally and get so emotionally worked up over it.

As food for thought, consider that perhaps that defensiveness is because such comments so often have the explicit statement or strongly implicit undertone of "and you're an idiot if you don't do it the way we do it".

Maybe it's not meant that way by some/many of the people who do it, and they just don't understand how condescending, belittling, and insulting their tone can be.

Relics are the only items you can't easily and/or cheaply get via crafting and/or questing. You can get 148, I believe, rated relics from level 50 HM bosses, but it's certainly not a guarantee, and Artificers can craft, for themselves only, level 50 ~140 rated relics. You can also get 154 rated relics from the Classic vendors, but they cost 150 Classics each, which is a lot of level 50 HMs just to get relics you will quickly replace with 162s from the Basic vendor (assuming you don't get even better ones from some other source).

For relics, I'd recommend just doing some unranked PvP and getting the 158 PvP relics. They're easy to get and will last until you get the 180 Dread Forged relics. Sure, PvP isn't for everyone but most people should be able to handle 2-4 matches a day for the daily quest.

To the OP

I am one of the noobs that has effectively been power leveled to 55 by the 12x XP. One of the things I have struggled with (apart from my gear going out date faster than I can replace it) is the steep learning curve. Although your post is obviously quite basic (you cannot put years or months worth of knowledge into a single forum post) I must say it has really opened my eyes to the mistakes I have been making over and over again. Within a few minutes of game play after reading it I am finding the game more fun because I am not doing so many silly things that might get my group and I killed.

I just want to say thanks.

Tactical 55 FPs are not hard modes. But as noted more than once, if you do the Oricon quest line, you get a (more or less full) set of 156 rated armor. The people who have trouble hanging even in 55 tacticals are the ones in who are playing in 120 (or less) rated green stuff.

Again, as noted more than once, you can get 156 rated armor from Oricon and/or crafting. You can get 156 rated main- and off-hand from crafting. You can get 152 rated earpiece and implants from crafting.

In short, there is no excuse for not having your character equipped in 156 rated armor, main-hand and off-hand, and 152 rated earpiece and implants, then whatever are the best relics you can scrounge up.

Ok i think you miss understand me (not hard as i did a bad job of explaining myself). Ignoring gear (And assume that i will do the content that has been highlighted).

My question is that in terms of group instances, there are only hard-modes available (outside of tactical ones) - There are some that are lvl 55 hardmodes, and some that are lvl 50 to 55 hardmodes (all are called hard modes in the UI).

My assumption is that only the ones marked soley 55 are the harder content ?

gear aside my worry is i dont have any experience in this game of group play (and i have tanking char), as a tank its expected i have a clue what i am doing - so once my gear is appropriate, i assume that the lvl 50 to 55 flash points are the place to start?

this is a silly question i admit, but i am confused as to why there are ONLY hardmode events availible to me, why isnt there a way of doing "easy" face roll instances that means i can get comfortable with group play... hope this makes sense....

Ok i think you miss understand me (not hard as i did a bad job of explaining myself). Ignoring gear (And assume that i will do the content that has been highlighted).

My question is that in terms of group instances, there are only hard-modes available (outside of tactical ones) - There are some that are lvl 55 hardmodes, and some that are lvl 50 to 55 hardmodes (all are called hard modes in the UI).

gear aside my worry is i dont have any experience in this game of group play (and i have tanking char), as a tank its expected i have a clue what i am doing - so once my gear is appropriate, i assume that the lvl 50 to 55 flash points are the place to start?

this is a silly question i admit, but i am confused as to why there are ONLY hardmode events availible to me, why isnt there a way of doing "easy" face roll instances that means i can get comfortable with group play... hope this makes sense....

There are also TACTICAL 55. 50HM. AND 55HM. 50HM can be done in anything lvl50. TACTICAL with minimum 55 gear.

There are also TACTICAL 55. 50HM. AND 55HM. 50HM can be done in anything lvl50. TACTICAL with minimum 55 gear.

OK , so basically to learn to play group mechanics ill start with the 50 hardmodes and then progress to tactical with 55 gear, and THEN the 55 hardmodes (all this is irreverent cause by the time i sort that the expansion will be out lol).

Thanks for the input guys.

The voIP thing: thats a bit beyond the scope of the thread. This isnt supposed to be a comprehensive guide on everything you need to know to do every aspect of the game. Besides, the first time they join an ops group who wants people in some program... they can download it. Theres nothing mystifying about that at all.

---

As far as these accusations that Im trying to suppress creativity and force everyone to do things my way... get over yourselves. Im not going to tell people who already need help to do stuff that doesnt work as well (if even at all).

You can get as indignant as you like, make as many snide and vaguely insulting comments as you care to but none of that is going to change the fact that this is a GAME that is based upon NUMBERS that can be compared and objectively determined to be better or worse.

---

As far as the flashpoints go, yes, you are supposed to start with the level 50 HMs. Back when the game was capped at level 50, we had story mode flashpoints, and two tiers of hardmodes increasing in difficulty. We also had a lot more. When 2.0 dropped, instead of making new flashpoints, they kept the old level 50 hms, and effectively made them the level 55 "Story modes" and then took 4 lowbie flashpoints, added more numbers, and made them the new hard modes.

The level 50s drop 146 rating gear. You can do the old level 50 dailies to get classic comms to buy 146 gear. You can do level 55 dailies to get basic comms. The storyline quests for both CZ198 and Oricon (which you can pick up on CZ198) both give you gear. You can also used Planetary comms to by 140 rating item mods from the Makeb planetary vendor on fleet. Doing all of this will get you prepared for the 55 hms, which will help get you prepped for story mode ops, etc.

I think that, in addition to the UI section that was suggested, one on basic gearing paths would be a good idea. Cant tell you how many people you run into who apparently have no idea that oricon exists.

My question is that in terms of group instances, there are only hard-modes available (outside of tactical ones)

What do you mean "outside of tactical ones?" Why "outside of tactical ones?" Are you excluding tacticals as choices for you for some reason?

There are some that are lvl 55 hardmodes, and some that are lvl 50 to 55 hardmodes (all are called hard modes in the UI).

"Endgame" flashpoints are level 50 HMs, level 55 tacticals and level 55 HMs. For a new level 55, HM 50s and tactical 55s are going to be easier to do (even though oddly the recommend gear rating for both tactical and HM 55s is 148).

55 HMs are harder than 50 HMs and 55 tacticals. Whether 55 tacticals or 50 HMs are harder is dependent on which FPs you are comparing and is probably in large part a matter of opinion.

Why do you think there are only HMs available to you? Kuat (a tactical mode only FP)is available from level 15 on and at 55, there are like 6 other tacticals available.

Edited by branmakmuffin

One of those instances in which it would really make sense to let a class use some different weapons.

Yup. Then I could use a tech staff then out level it and "gift" it to Torian on my PT.

And maybe the range sage/sorcerer class could just have an item called "amplifier" or something to clearly state that they are to stay back and shoot rocks/lightning.

Or BW could have a helpful Learn Your Class type tutorial/mission to help people learn. Coruscant/Kaas would be great worlds to place such a mission.