The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Whats better for a powertech DPS Advanced Prototype or Pyrotech?

ryryfriefriend

I mostly do PvE but i do some PvP as well. I prefer to kill my enemies quickly without loosing to much health too. I dont know how DoT damage works so if someone could explain that to me that we be awesome:p. Please post your opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Single Target - Assault/Pyro

AoE - Tactics/AP

A DoT works as it does its total damage over the duration. Depending on the DoT depends on how fast it ticks, however with vanguards ALL the DoTs have 3 seconds between ticks.

Assault plastique has 4 DoT ticks. Incendiary Round gets 6. Plasma Cell ticks on application, and tends to be refreshed before it can fall off. Gut ticks 5 times.

Edited by TACeMossie

Thank you for the comments. For Pyro couldnt I just place a DoT ability on each mob and then start using AoE`s on them to wipe them out? Also, how well would an AP/Pyro hybrid? And, if i decided to do a tank hybrid, would I go Shield Tech and Pyro or Shield Tech and AP?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for the comments. For Pyro couldnt I just place a DoT ability on each mob and then start using AoE`s on them to wipe them out? Also, how well would an AP/Pyro hybrid? And, if i decided to do a tank hybrid, would I go Shield Tech and Pyro or Shield Tech and AP?

Thank you in advance.

In theory, Dotting everything up and AoEing it works. Except then your heat management will suck, and your DPS will plummet. In solo play though, you kill things really quickly anyway, so no need to bother with AoEing stuff.

As for an AP/Pyro hybrid, it used to be the go-to spec, but then they removed it by stance-locking the AoE buffs in the tree. Mainly because of PvP

And tank hybrids are painful to do with all the stance-locking

Edited by TACeMossie

In theory, Dotting everything up and AoEing it works. Except then your heat management will suck, and your DPS will plummet. In solo play though, you kill things really quickly anyway, so no need to bother with AoEing stuff.

As for an AP/Pyro hybrid, it used to be the go-to spec, but then they removed it by stance-locking the AoE buffs in the tree. Mainly because of PvP

And tank hybrids are painful to do with all the stance-locking

Thanks for the info on the hybrids:). However i forgot to mention i have x12 xp boost from the pre-order of SoR so i dont think the heat will be a problem because they`ll die so quickly but then again, my heat might still suck for the bosses. Because of the boost ,enemies wont be much of a problem so i think i`ll go for AP because the abilities look cooler retractable blade FTW:D.

I like pyro for both pvp and pve, although it is true pyro more for single target, AP better for mobs. but in pve as pyro, flamethrower and flame sweep with volatile igniter are great for killing mobs quick, (as well as death from above), drawback is the heat buildup, just gotta keep an eye on it. ironically that is not the case in pvp, even if you torch 5 people with flamethrower, you are standing still and an easy target for enemies, and flame sweep with volatile igniter not great for pvp either, you need sweltering heat instead for flame sweep in pvp for the 40% movement reduction.

Single Target - Assault/Pyro

AoE - Tactics/AP

A DoT works as it does its total damage over the duration. Depending on the DoT depends on how fast it ticks, however with vanguards ALL the DoTs have 3 seconds between ticks.

Assault plastique has 4 DoT ticks. Incendiary Round gets 6. Plasma Cell ticks on application, and tends to be refreshed before it can fall off. Gut ticks 5 times.

When i asked for what pyro was i meant something like the description above not just "Damage over time".

Thanks anyway

And the winner of the most wrong person in the thread award goes to this guy!

Sorry I have them both and the 55 Merc dps is way more fun and kills way faster than the 55 PT dps, and the Merc is actually a ranged class not up close and personal like a PT

Sorry I have them both and the 55 Merc dps is way more fun and kills way faster than the 55 PT dps, and the Merc is actually a ranged class not up close and personal like a PT

Im sorry, I can't hear you over Vanguards breaking 4.5K DPS (without the companion glitch, otherwise said number would be 4.6k) while mercs are stuck at 4.3. If we're talking about weak mobs with dailies, DFA works just as well on a PT as it does on a merc, and will kill everything instantly anyway that a PTs superior burst + Single Target DPS wont deal with quicker than a merc. And Flamethrower will probably be better too (Pyro has all these elemental crit boosts, AP has huge boosts to flamethrower itself)

And IMO, Being a turret is a hell of a lot less fun than being mobile. Maybe in 3.0, when you've got Unload/Blazing Bolts on the move... (Im allowed to talk about it, it was mentioned on a stream!)

And who cares if the merc is ranged. Most cases you're gonna have to run up to the target to loot it anyway. And in operations, half the fights that need movement need movement for everyone, not just the melees (Draxus, the shields make stuff Ranged immune, Grob'thok, movement is due to fire, Corruptor Zero, movement requirements are higher if you aren't playing a melee, Brontes has just as much movement requirements for Melee as Ranged, Tyrans has a ton of movement requirements for everybody, and dont get me started on the dread council...)

And if we are talking about PVP... LOL DPS MERC IN PVP

TL;DR

DPS - Vanguard/Powertech > Merc/Mando (Proved through multiple sources)

Fun - Personal Opinion

Killing Speed - Vanguard/Powertech > Merc/Mando

AoE - Vanguard/Powertech > Merc/Mando

Survivability - Vanguard/Powertech > Merc/Mando

Oh and tell me, ever killed the subertoth before he needs to be stunned? The tentacle boss before he does his knockback? Cause I have. Every time I take him on with my Vanguard.

Edited by TACeMossie

Im sorry, I can't hear you over Vanguards breaking 4.5K DPS while mercs are stuck at 4.3.

And IMO, Being a turret is a hell of a lot less fun than being mobile. Maybe in 3.0, when you've got Unload/Blazing Bolts on the move... (Im allowed to talk about it, it was mentioned on a stream!)

A turret ? Mercs arent in cover they are plenty mobile

And if we are talking about PVP... LOL DPS MERC IN PVP
I dont care at all about pvp. PVP ruins MMOs since the devs have to answer to every butt hurt cry for a nerf or how unfair it is when you get killed. I wish they would remove pvp from this game. I'm tired of classes being ruined because of trying to "balance" pvp

A turret ? Mercs arent in cover they are plenty mobile

Turret = Has to cast a ton of abilities.

e.g. Power Shot, Unload, Tracer Missile, all get used quite a lot by DPS mercs. You know how many casted abilities are used by PTs/VGs? 0 In assault/pyro, 30% uptime in Tactics/AP

As opposed to 50+% of the time in Pyro/Assault Merc/Mandos or Arsenal/Gunnery

Anyway, sorry bout the rant, but when people who have no idea about how to play a class go on about how bad it is in an attempt to prevent someone playing it, it tends to annoy me a little.

Edited by TACeMossie

Turret = Has to cast a ton of abilities.

. You know how many casted abilities are used by PTs/VGs? 0 In assault/pyro, 30% uptime in Tactics/AP

As opposed to 50+% of the time in Pyro/Assault Merc/Mandos or Arsenal/Gunnery

The flame thrower or the lighting aoe and the missile launchers and power shoot are still casted . Not as many but they are still important skills

The flame thrower or the lighting aoe and the missile launchers and power shoot are still casted . Not as many but they are still important skills

Flamethrower/Pulse Cannon and Death From Above/Mortar Volley were accounted for AP/Tactics. Pyro/Assault doesn't use them, as it screws them over.

Power Shot is a mando-only ability, vanguards use an instant cast instead

Mercs are twice as turrety as vanguards in a best-case for mercs/worst case for vanguards situation.

Im sorry, I can't hear you over Vanguards breaking 4.5K DPS (without the companion glitch, otherwise said number would be 4.6k) while mercs are stuck at 4.3. + some snipped.

Ouch :p

I agree with the PT (keeping it imp for this post) being waaaaaay more mobile than Merc. However I do feel ranged does have a good advantage is most fights (which is also why I think they should parse lower than melee).

Granted, I am still stuck on Draxus NiM so my opinion comes mostly from videos and the older NiM.

Keeping Draxus as example, yes there is movement required, but if done correctly ranged needs to move much less than melee. As ranged you slowly position yourself for bulwarks with your instants. When Bulwark spawn you're already positioned inside the shield or you barrely need any adjustment.

The exception would be if you're facetanking a dismantler which kicks you away.

And when Bulwark dies you stay in place and hit the boss (wave 5).

Yes ranged need to move as well, but overall less than melee so they can have a higher uptime on doing damage. Ofcourse there are exceptions (I've seen phase 2 council NiM, man that looks fun :p ).

But euhm... on topic. When doing leveling and dailies I prefer Advanced Prototype for quicker trash killing. But during operations and flashpoints I prefer to use Pyrotech myself. I think Advanced Prototype might be a bit easier to learn, but that's just personal opinion. Which is also why I like Pyrotech better, gotta watch my heat a bit more :p

Flamethrower/Pulse Cannon and Death From Above/Mortar Volley were accounted for AP/Tactics. Pyro/Assault doesn't use them, as it screws them over.

Power Shot is a mando-only ability, vanguards use an instant cast instead

Mercs are twice as turrety as vanguards in a best-case for mercs/worst case for vanguards situation.

And Arsenal has two, three non cast GCD every 15 sec. Pyro has one every 6 sec and two others drifting every 18 sec. that's a lot more than 50% casted... It's 80% in Arsenal and 60-65% in Pyro... ;)

And who cares if the merc is ranged. Most cases you're gonna have to run up to the target to loot it anyway. And in operations, half the fights that need movement need movement for everyone, not just the melees (Draxus, the shields make stuff Ranged immune, Grob'thok, movement is due to fire, Corruptor Zero, movement requirements are higher if you aren't playing a melee, Brontes has just as much movement requirements for Melee as Ranged, Tyrans has a ton of movement requirements for everybody, and dont get me started on the dread council...)

Plus! As the melee in the group you get to stay on the boss nine times out of ten while everybody else goes and deals with adds :cool: ... Unless your group is like a pug I ran with 2PT tanks and 4 PT dps ... fun times :D

My main is a PT advanced prototype in PVE and one of my favorite things about it is hardly if ever needing to even look at my heat.. Even preloading PFT by spamming flame sweep already in combat (while running to targets) which gets me to about %60 heat is no issue due to HEG cylinder, few seconds later I'm still in proper rotation and down to bare minimal heat. Mixing up or reversing rotation will build heat fast.. One of the things I realize while playing some of my alt classes is that i find myself watching my resource pools and cooldowns a lot closer in turn taking away from seeing some things happening around me while I'm staring at my HUD. With AP I can effectively take heat out of the equation more or less. I'm still hoping that something reasonable will be done in 3.0 to fix it's single target dps since PFT only likes 2 or more targets to see competing numbers.

Sorry i havent posted a lot. I got a merc to 55 so im gonna do a vanguard and im thinking im gonna be doing both depending on what im doing for dailies gonna be doing AP and for ops most likely pyro/assult cause im gonna be focusing on the boss.

A lot of times it will also depend on your raid comp, I had a comp with 2 rage marauders and a sab slinger, so I really didn't need to go AP. But if your group has no AOE dps at all, then running AP could be very beneficial. Just see which you like better, both specs work just fine in everything (except maybe NiM council)

If you want to kill quick, dont be a PT. They are so slow compared to a Merc for DPS
the pt kills pretty quick for an opening burst

mercs can only do a power burst as arsenal and that spec is the opposite of fun in pvp.

i much prefer my pt to my merc for warzones and especially arena.

for pve, i'm still leaning merc...my gear is optimized and i still havent mastered the pyro pt...i overheat too quickly.

but make no mistake, pt does more dps than the merc currently

Edited by Pagy