Seemingly failing at dps (pyrotech merc) since 2.10

Esthaniel

Hello folks,

since 2.10 my PPA rate suddenly started dropping drastically. What I mean by this is, that I have to use 2 Powershots after my internal CD is ready again most of the time. Since Railshot CD is 15s and it should be at 9 when I can procc it again, this results in my RS CD being at 7-6 when I am finally able to procc it. This again results in serious heat problems. Our last Grob thok run had 2 situations where I used powershot up until 2s before it was already off cooldown. I know the tooltip says 45% chance but honestly, it was at 80-90% all the time and otherwise you can't keep up with other classes heatwise by using rapid shots to regulate that. I never had to. Now, completely indepent how much alacrity I take in my specc, I have to use 2 powershots atleast to trigger PPA, seldomly (meaning 30% of the time) it goes off directly.

I didn't encounter this before and I am pyrotech player mostly. My DPS significantly dropped since maybe 1-2 weeks. When I didn't have full 180 gear, I was able to dummy parse to up to 3700-3750dps, now, with 2 186' token and 186' offhand barrel and more stats in everything (more surge, more AP) I can barely hit 3900.

Anyone having the same problem? Any help?

Edited by Esthaniel

Alacrity is straight-up bad for Pyro because it desyncs the PPA internal cooldown from the GCD, paradoxically slowing down your rotation. Unfortunately, the spec GIVES you some alacrity. They changed the PT Pyro talents to grant crit instead of alacrity a while back but CBA to do the same for Merc Pyro. There's your problem.

Well I know the thing with alacrity but the same problem occurs to me when I have:

0% alacrity in my specc

2% alacrity (Tier6 talent with reduced VH CD)

4% alacrity (+Tier 1)

And I don't have a single point in alacrity rating.

This never happened to me before 2.10 (or 2.9?). My latency is at ~43 ms average for those of you which are interested.

Edited by Esthaniel

Well I know the thing with alacrity but the same problem occurs to me when I have:

0% alacrity in my specc

2% alacrity (Tier6 talent with reduced VH CD)

4% alacrity (+Tier 1)

And I don't have a single point in alacrity rating.

This never happened to me before 2.10 (or 2.9?). My latency is at ~43 ms average for those of you which are interested.

Give us a quick test: Go on the dummy, put the 500k HP modifier on it, and do the rotation of:

Power Shot -> Incendiary Missile -> Power Shot -> Rail Shot ->

Power Shot -> Rapid Shots -> Power Shot -> Rail Shot ->

Unload -> Power Shot -> Rail Shot ->

repeat

Cause apparently with mercs/mandos, the first Power Shot/Unload has to be immediately after using the rail shot for the 100% proc rate (unlike VGs where it can be wherever).

See if you can get that running.

Give us a quick test: Go on the dummy, put the 500k HP modifier on it, and do the rotation of:

Power Shot -> Incendiary Missile -> Power Shot -> Rail Shot ->

Power Shot -> Rapid Shots -> Power Shot -> Rail Shot ->

Unload -> Power Shot -> Rail Shot ->

repeat

Cause apparently with mercs/mandos, the first Power Shot/Unload has to be immediately after using the rail shot for the 100% proc rate (unlike VGs where it can be wherever).

See if you can get that running.

Even if that were true, which I am confident in saying it is not, increasing your heat by 32 at once seems like a terrible idea.

hey it works fine for me.

Also it wont go over 40 heat anyway, so...

18:08:32.660 You gain Prototype Particle Accelerator

18:08:32.661 You activate Rail Shot

18:08:34.091 You activate Power Shot

18:08:35.596 You spend 16 energy

18:08:35.597 You activate Thermal Detonator

18:08:35.597 You spend 16 energy

18:08:37.144 You activate Power Shot

18:08:38.568 You spend 16 energy

18:08:39.357 You activate Power Shot

18:08:40.898 You spend 16 energy

18:08:40.898 You gain Prototype Particle Accelerator

:(

Since Bioware decided to go for the shared tree, shared proc mechanic, shared problem, single AC fix in removing alacrity from the tree, not much to do really. I tried some parsing on my commando the other week with 100ms and in 4 full parses and in 2 maximize IA minimize damage tests I ended up doing something like 275 successful procs in a row and did not fail a single one.

Since Bioware decided to go for the shared tree, shared proc mechanic, shared problem, single AC fix in removing alacrity from the tree, not much to do really. I tried some parsing on my commando the other week with 100ms and in 4 full parses and in 2 maximize IA minimize damage tests I ended up doing something like 275 successful procs in a row and did not fail a single one.

3.0 can't come soon enough...

Currently Assault must be better with higher ms. My ms runs between 30-60 and i miss procs all the time using optimal rotations. Stupid Alacrity. I'm looking forward to the changes for mando dps.

Since I assume you're already not picking the (free) 2 % alac in the bottom of the assault tree, you're still picking the 2 % up in the tree for the added CD reduction.

I'm also having issues where at some times, HiB/RS won't proc when it's supposed to. From what I've noticed so far, is that it seldom happens in operations (only happened once during last council kill), but that it does happen frequently when I'm parsing.

As for when and how it happens during parsing, it's generally outside of peak hours and also when I'm standing right next to the dummy. My own theory is that the combined latency + those very small but still real travel times sometimes are shorter than the reduction you get from the 2 % alac talent. I'm thinking this because it almost never happened to me until I bought a new gfx card.

So, if you're parsing, do it whilst standing at max possible range and preferably during peak hours. So as far as 3.0 goes, we can at least be happy they (supposedly) fixed that.

Since I assume you're already not picking the (free) 2 % alac in the bottom of the assault tree, you're still picking the 2 % up in the tree for the added CD reduction.

I'm also having issues where at some times, HiB/RS won't proc when it's supposed to. From what I've noticed so far, is that it seldom happens in operations (only happened once during last council kill), but that it does happen frequently when I'm parsing.

As for when and how it happens during parsing, it's generally outside of peak hours and also when I'm standing right next to the dummy. My own theory is that the combined latency + those very small but still real travel times sometimes are shorter than the reduction you get from the 2 % alac talent. I'm thinking this because it almost never happened to me until I bought a new gfx card.

So, if you're parsing, do it whilst standing at max possible range and preferably during peak hours. So as far as 3.0 goes, we can at least be happy they (supposedly) fixed that.

They didn't.. they changed how alacrity works... Now Alac will reduce every CD, ICD GCD, channel time and activation time. And will increase energy regen in a way so the faster pace won't affect your energy regen at all.

They didn't.. they changed how alacrity works... Now Alac will reduce every CD, ICD GCD, channel time and activation time. And will increase energy regen in a way so the faster pace won't affect your energy regen at all.

Doesn't that mean that they did fix it though? Todays problem is that alac reduces the time for our casts, but not for the internal cooldown of HiB/RS proc, meaning with enough alac, you will do your final skill in your rotation milliseconds before the proc resets and thus have to do another cast to 100 % get the proc.

If I'm understanding the 3.0 changes correctly, and alacrity now also reduces the internal cooldown for HiB/RS proc, then missed procs shouldn't be able to happen, ever.

Doesn't that mean that they did fix it though? Todays problem is that alac reduces the time for our casts, but not for the internal cooldown of HiB/RS proc, meaning with enough alac, you will do your final skill in your rotation milliseconds before the proc resets and thus have to do another cast to 100 % get the proc.

If I'm understanding the 3.0 changes correctly, and alacrity now also reduces the internal cooldown for HiB/RS proc, then missed procs shouldn't be able to happen, ever.

It depends on how much alacrity is gonna decrease ICD. Also according to datamine, the proc is gonna be 8 seconds rather than 6 :(