Population question

Himura

Harbinger.

Bring a killscout, because so many matches are a gunsheep petting zoo.

Heh, only a couple of days ago on the R.E. server I played four games in a row where the other side took seven gunships from the start and the rest took bombers.

Actually managed to win one game, as that was the only time the rest of the team I was on listened to a suggestion that we all switch to Burst and EMP scouts.

As for the other three matches, well if you try to pick apart a gunships nesting with bombers using an ad-hoc mixture of Strikes, then yeah, I don't think I need to explain the levels of carnage that occurred. I'm sure several people recorded PB's in their space snipers.

Back to topic and I play R.E. sever most days. The queues on there pop every couple of minutes until about midnight (GMT).

Shadowlands is still doing well, and there definitely seem to be more pubside (but Imps have plenty of aces... not there ever on when I'm playing one of my Imp alts and want some steady teammates :( ).

Really, I think you'll be doing okay on most servers.

I fly shadowlands and agree that it's a good server to fly on. There are aces who fly both sides and have alts on each side, so sometimes it is balanced and other times it's not. I'd say that imp side tends to dominate at night (est time), whereas pubs dominate during the day.

That being said, I'm thinking of moving one of my alts over to TEH to try it out.

TEH has a strong Imperial guild (Eclipse Squadron) and a strong Republic guild (Saberwing). I'd say Imperials right now have the slight edge on number of aces, but Republic wins their fair share of games throughout the day.

Your standard for what an ace is quite different from ours then.

Your standard for what an ace is quite different from ours then.

You and Scrab are two of a special tier. :) Elites? I dunno. But of rare enough talent that a broad term like "ace" is not exclusive enough. Don't take offense--I don't think anyone on TEH thinks they are an equal to you two, especially when you're in your Battlescouts. We do wish you'd fly a Comet-breaker from time to time. :)

Also, I think we both massively skew our own observational data regarding which faction is stronger. Here's what I mean by that...

If you're in match, regardless of who else is in it, then you are very, very likely to win. This makes you think that Republic side is stronger and consistently winning. Because when you fly with them, they do! But do you have a lot of knowledge about what goes on when you aren't flying?

Same goes for the next tier down (where I think I fit in). If I am in a match--and I am not facing off against you or Scrab--then I am going to win 90% of TDM's and 85% of Dominations. If I have 2-3 other Eclipse Squadron pilots with me, that raises to 95% win against most opponents. Things get more difficult if we are flying against the likes of Kvikorma, Hanak, and other Saberwing aces, but lately we've still been winning against them most of the time. Same as when I usually don't win if I'm playing against you. :) That's not to say they aren't still great, fun matches, and I respect all those pilots greatly.

What happens when I'm not around? I can't fully say. But I do hear from other guild members.

Just this morning, I hear you carried a TDM against some Eclipse Squadron pilots, 50-49. You had 27 kills out of your team's 50. The other team had 4 newbs and 4 Eclipse pilots--Zig, Drevar, Rune'tryal, and Mae-thon who split kills fairly evenly. Sounds like it was a thrilling match. But if you hadn't been there, it probably wouldn't have been--it probably would've been handily won by Eclipse. I don't know who else was on your team, but if you had to get 27 kills just to win the match by 1 point, then I'm guessing they would've been outmatched by the four Eclipse pilots.

That tends to be the general pattern we observe these days. Each "tier" of pilots trumps the tiers below. You and Scrab are at the top. At lower tiers, you have people like Aimbot, Pylan, Mae-thon, myself, Hanak, Kvikorma, Cynfor, Zigfreud, Phil, etc. (not at all an exhaustive list and not in any order).

I think that generally, Empire (Eclipse in particular) has an edge in the number of these non-top-tier-but-still-ace pilots, especially in terms of how many are queuing consistently. Then again, it's hard to judge, since there are a lot of new pilots flying due to conquest. Maybe Saberwing and Eclipse are both cleaning up, and only rarely meet each other.

I think at the end of the day, the safest statement is that GSF is flourishing on both sides of TEH at the moment. I do think a decent portion of conquest pilots are actually being drawn into GSF for its own sake, which is good. And I do think that one can declare other pilots on the server to be an "ace" even if they are not at the very top of the tiers, as you are.

Edited by Nemarus

Clarification: One can say that as a certain group they have a high rate of winning. But in GSF queues, because one cannot dictate the entire make up of a full team; to say that you do better and achieve more wins compared to another relatively equal group is a bit biased, especially without hard numerical data. Even you concede a distinction of different levels of piloting skill. One group cannot simply claim they win more; it is presumptuous and entirely arbitrarily.

As I can recall in the past month, when I group with Sabers for at least a full group of 4, we have only lost once. I will gladly concede the point that I do not get the opportunity to fly often with them. Some of those matches were extremely close and others not so much.

I say this all to stress the point that our population is quite large and extremely diverse.

Edited by Hanak

Clarification: One can say that as a certain group they have a high rate of winning. But in GSF queues, because one cannot dictate the entire make up of a full team; to say that you do better and achieve more wins compared to another relatively equal group is a bit biased, especially without hard numerical data. Even you concede a distinction of different levels of piloting skill. One group cannot simply claim they win more; it is presumptuous and entirely arbitrarily.

As I can recall in the past month, when I group with Sabers for at least a full group of 4, we have only lost once. I will gladly concede the point that I do not get the opportunity to fly often with them. Some of those matches were extremely close and others not so much.

I say this all to stress the point that our population is quite large and extremely diverse.

Definitely :) And I certainly have seen you get stuck in matches where you have awesome personal performance, but are doomed by the rest of your team (non-Saberwing).

In short, I love flying against you all, win or lose :)

You and Scrab are two of a special tier. :) Elites? I dunno. But of rare enough talent that a broad term like "ace" is not exclusive enough. Don't take offense--I don't think anyone on TEH thinks they are an equal to you two, especially when you're in your Battlescouts. We do wish you'd fly a Comet-breaker from time to time. :)

Also, I think we both massively skew our own observational data regarding which faction is stronger. Here's what I mean by that...

If you're in match, regardless of who else is in it, then you are very, very likely to win. This makes you think that Republic side is stronger and consistently winning. Because when you fly with them, they do! But do you have a lot of knowledge about what goes on when you aren't flying?

Same goes for the next tier down (where I think I fit in). If I am in a match--and I am not facing off against you or Scrab--then I am going to win 90% of TDM's and 85% of Dominations. If I have 2-3 other Eclipse Squadron pilots with me, that raises to 95% win against most opponents. Things get more difficult if we are flying against the likes of Kvikorma, Hanak, and other Saberwing aces, but lately we've still been winning against them most of the time. Same as when I usually don't win if I'm playing against you. :) That's not to say they aren't still great, fun matches, and I respect all those pilots greatly.

What happens when I'm not around? I can't fully say. But I do hear from other guild members.

Just this morning, I hear you carried a TDM against some Eclipse Squadron pilots, 50-49. You had 27 kills out of your team's 50. The other team had 4 newbs and 4 Eclipse pilots--Zig, Drevar, Rune'tryal, and Mae-thon who split kills fairly evenly. Sounds like it was a thrilling match. But if you hadn't been there, it probably wouldn't have been--it probably would've been handily won by Eclipse. I don't know who else was on your team, but if you had to get 27 kills just to win the match by 1 point, then I'm guessing they would've been outmatched by the four Eclipse pilots.

That tends to be the general pattern we observe these days. Each "tier" of pilots trumps the tiers below. You and Scrab are at the top. At lower tiers, you have people like Aimbot, Pylan, Mae-thon, myself, Hanak, Kvikorma, Cynfor, Zigfreud, Phil, etc. (not at all an exhaustive list and not in any order).

I think that generally, Empire (Eclipse in particular) has an edge in the number of these non-top-tier-but-still-ace pilots, especially in terms of how many are queuing consistently. Then again, it's hard to judge, since there are a lot of new pilots flying due to conquest. Maybe Saberwing and Eclipse are both cleaning up, and only rarely meet each other.

I think at the end of the day, the safest statement is that GSF is flourishing on both sides of TEH at the moment. I do think a decent portion of conquest pilots are actually being drawn into GSF for its own sake, which is good. And I do think that one can declare other pilots on the server to be an "ace" even if they are not at the very top of the tiers, as you are.

Got some brown on your nose Nem :p I would've pegged you to intuitively understand ship types playing a role in your definition of tiers. While Scrab and Yuuko are the best scout pilots by far no doubt (and I'd say strikes too most likely as the skills transfer quite well), the T2 scout and it's role can't be touched by any other ship class. Period. I'll go back to being "lower tier" now lol

Edited by SammyGStatus

Got some brown on your nose Nem :p I would've pegged you to intuitively understand ship types playing a role in your definition of tiers. While Scrab and Yuuko are the best scout pilots by far no doubt (and I'd say strikes too most likely as the skills transfer quite well), the T2 scout and it's role can't be touched by any other ship class. Period. I'll go back to being "lower tier" now lol

I agree that the T2 Scout is OP, but plenty of people fly one and come nowhere close to performing as Scrab and Yuuko do.

Believe me, I hope it gets nerfed into the ground someday (it has dominated the game since launch, after all) and that those who refuse to fly anything else are forced to adapt and try out the other 11 ships. Maybe Yuuko and Scrab would continue to dominate, or maybe they would be brought equal with the rest of us. Hard to say, as I've personally never seen them fly anything else.

As for you, I think you're one of the best Gunship pilots anywhere, and definitely the best on TEH. And your Strike was very good also. But at the end of the day, you can't solo carry like they can (nor can I). But I agree that it is probably impossible to when flying anything other than a T2 Scout.

As for "brown nosing" ... LOL. I have no interest in gaining Yuuko's favor. Why would I? But regardless of why or how he does it, his performance (and Scrab's) are exceptional. That being said, this whole tangent started because Yuuko got defensive because I used the word "ace" to describe a group that wasn't just him. So yeah, I gave him a pat on the head and reassured him that he and his Skybolt are still the bestest evar. :p

As for the rest of us, I'm not trying to set up some grand ace ladder and rank everyone. Like Hanak said, that's impossible. Instead the best you can do is call out the "difference makers". The ones who, even if they don't do a 30-kill carry, often determine whether their team wins or not. I have that much more respect for those who do so in ships besides the Battlescout (especially anyone who rocks a Strike).

Ultimately, I would hope people can acknowledge the skill of others, even if it is greater than their own. It's the first step toward improving your own performance.

You are not an ace solely because you shift the focus of the game. If I rolled around in a field of potatoes I'm sure I'd move a lot of potatoes. In GSFs case most of the time if you're an active pilot and you play the game you earn the right to move the potatoes. However an ace will take a tactical nuke to the potatoes and your little influence on the potatoes doesn't quite matter.

There's my definition.

You are not an ace solely because you shift the focus of the game. If I rolled around in a field of potatoes I'm sure I'd move a lot of potatoes. In GSFs case most of the time if you're an active pilot and you play the game you earn the right to move the potatoes. However an ace will take a tactical nuke to the potatoes and your little influence on the potatoes doesn't quite matter.

There's my definition.

It's nice how, every opportunity you get to show some class or humility, you fail utterly to seize it.

It is actually possible to be exceptional at something and still appreciate the skills of others. You would think some of that would rub off on you from Aimbot and Scrab.