Any way to get a refund from GTN?

Tkard

You got screwed, plain and simple. You won't get your creds backs since the seller did not make a mistake of any kind, s/he was actually betting on one from buyers.:

The OP screwed themselves. The seller didn't screw anyone and for you to think otherwise is ludicrous.

How come when people buy something for 500 credits that is normally 500,000 credits the seller doesn't come here and claim they got screwed/scammed? According to your logic, the seller did not make a mistake of any kind, right?

But as soon as someone overpays for something, even though it's their own fault, they come here crying bloody murder about getting ripped-off or scammed and the seller is some kind of evil person. Why is that? Why is it ok to find a bargain item but it's not ok when it doesn't go the way of the buyer?

It's ok to lynch the seller who asks for too much but the person who gets a great deal is some kind of hero.

Edited by PetFish

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot compare the two

In EVE any two people can come to an arrangement over item and cost outside of more traditional sales avenues available in EVE online (and SWTOR). If one or the other hand over ISK or the item, the other person is then able to take the ISK/item and run or be honourable and complete the sale …. this is able to be done within SWTOR.

In SWTOR though there is the trade option, just don't click the little trade button until both parties have put up the credits/item(s).

In EVE there is the “Market” which is the SWTOR GTN equivalent where anyone can post any item for sale at whatever price they fell like, elevated individual pricing is NOT a scam. If someone then purchases the posted item regardless of price they either get a deal or they pay more than necessary … user beware just like the SWTOR GTN.

EVE Online has private and public contract sales where a specific item is listed for a specific price. The thing with this kind of sale though is a single unit of CARBON can be described as a CHARON (which is a rather expensive freighter) OR a standard battleship can be described as a more expensive Navy variant or the even more expensive marauder variant. These ARE scams as they offer an item as something it is not rather than offer an item for simply a higher price. Learn to read VERY well in this case.

In EVE online if you fall fowl of any kind of scam <The Developer> just doesn't seem to want to know about it as it would seem that is just part of the game mechanics or <The Developer> does not see it as their issue if someone makes an error ... which realistically it isn't.

If you think about it, it could actually be part of SWTOR mechanics as well since the Star Wars universe is full of shady dealings/characters, betrayal whatever you want to call it. If you get stung learn from it and be more diligent.

And here is a little tip for you when using the GTN. Do a search for an item(s), click "Price" until the cheapest is at the top of the list. Do another item(s) search but DO NOT CLICK PRICE ... since the GTN will remember that the cheapest price is to remain at the top

Thanks for the explanation.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

Rule Nr. 1: Once you have their money ... never give it back.

:)

I did once...

Someone posted a dozen 156 augments on the GTN for the price of the 148 blue augments...

Ouch...

I bought them all and within 10 min I got an e-mail in game from the seller begging and pleading for something for his mistake... :)

Since I understand how that can happen, I split the difference and sent him half the money they were worth.

I got a deal, and he didn't get screwed out of all the money...

It's getting ridiculous now. I went to GTN to check out some grade 9 mats(I usually buy them for 1200-1500 credits per unit, that is, a little more than one thousand), and some cheaters bought all and were selling each unit for 960.240(or something), hoping someone would get mistaken(and think it's just 960) and buy one unit for a million.

Same goes with desh, same goes with everything. I am doubly careful and I mostly use my own mats for stims and adrenals, but really, that's annoying.

I think we all should have an opportunity to

1) ignore the seller, and never ever view his GTN lots again;

2) round all the purchases. I'm ready to pay +99 credits for each stack I buy, but I don't want to see non-rounded prices ever again.

It's getting ridiculous now. I went to GTN to check out some grade 9 mats(I usually buy them for 1200-1500 credits per unit, that is, a little more than one thousand), and some cheaters bought all and were selling each unit for 960.240(or something), hoping someone would get mistaken(and think it's just 960) and buy one unit for a million.

[...]

What??? I always thought those were ppl parking money!! I mean: WHO would fall for that???

What??? I always thought those were ppl parking money!! I mean: WHO would fall for that???

this is very naive on your side. This thread, and the previous one on this show that indeed people fall for that.

Someone is actually posting this misleading prices for a purpose -so they obviously know that some people fall for that.

If you tried to laugh/ridicule the OP for being a sucker -wait until something similar happens to you.

For me this is some kind of fraud, and probably the victims are people not using GTN often, for example new players. This is as if someone cheated some poor immigrant selling them bread for gold. This is inhonest.

And judging by the names selling this odd pricess, I would suspect they are mostly some gold sellers. The names are created in the same manner (suggesting one person behind this) and are often offensive in foreign languages -which would suggest the nationality of said suspect.

I'm not saying they are definitely gold sellers, but I think BW should discretly investigate those accounts.

where someone can change the description,

In my example if a sales contract is created for a single piece of carbon then the description (or name) of that piece of carbon cannot be changed. The sales contract will be for a piece of carbon fullstop.

What I actually said was it could be described as a Charon not changed to a Charon. What I mean by that and I should have described it better is when the scammer tries to sell his/her piece of carbon they post a link to the contract in general chat but before hitting enter the contract link is edited (its been a while since I have seen this so the memory is a bit fuzzy on how exactly its done) so the reader thinks they are potentially buying a Charon. Hence why I said learn to read very well in this case.

It's not like the OP was ripped of to the tune of 1.6 million real world dollars so I don't see what eBay or Australian law have to do with it since this is all happening in a virtual environment with nothing real changing hands and eBay is real life, bit of a difference there.

Btw what do you think will help more

Moving all my money but 500k to one alt so I either spend 500k or 20M by mistake

There's also the option to use the GTN interface and fill in those fields with minimum/maximum-price for the filter. That way, nothing more expensive than the maximum amount you want to spend shows up in the GTN.

Don't know if that filter option sets the "price per item" or the "total price" value in case of stacked items (I rarely buy those), but you'll find out pretty easy.

Something being or not being a scam is not contingent on how sophisticated or likely to succeed it is.

If someone says "Give me 100 dollars, I will give you a billion dollars tomorrow", and the billion in question is Zimbabwe dollars, legally that would count as a scam, even though Z$ are technically dollars, and even though it's almost impossible to fall for.

As to ways to avoid it, one thing that can be done is to put things up for 999,999,999 credits - anyone sorting the wrong way will see these on top of the list instead of the scam listings.

Edited by Heal-To-Full

There's also the option to use the GTN interface and fill in those fields with minimum/maximum-price for the filter. That way, nothing more expensive than the maximum amount you want to spend shows up in the GTN.

Don't know if that filter option sets the "price per item" or the "total price" value in case of stacked items (I rarely buy those), but you'll find out pretty easy.

Thanks, is there anynway to get it staying even if you log out?

Same goes with desh, same goes with everything. I am doubly careful and I mostly use my own mats for stims and adrenals, but really, that's annoying.

I think we all should have an opportunity to

1) ignore the seller, and never ever view his GTN lots again;

2) round all the purchases. I'm ready to pay +99 credits for each stack I buy, but I don't want to see non-rounded prices ever again.

And maybe also an indicator that this price is above 100% more than the cheapest? Or an additional warning for this?

Ah thanks... so now this goldseller got my money and I cant do anything....

Why does the market actually let you purchase something without warning if you can get it cheaper?

You can do something, learn to read the prices, I am not been mean to you, but you must pay attention when buying stuff, use the option to see items starting by their lower price. I get confused too sometimes, but like an old man told me once many years ago, measure twice cut once.

Something being or not being a scam is not contingent on how sophisticated or likely to succeed it is.

If someone says "Give me 100 dollars, I will give you a billion dollars tomorrow", and the billion in question is Zimbabwe dollars, legally that would count as a scam, even though Z$ are technically dollars, and even though it's almost impossible to fall for.

As to ways to avoid it, one thing that can be done is to put things up for 999,999,999 credits - anyone sorting the wrong way will see these on top of the list instead of the scam listings.

Good idea, I will start doing it with every mat on my server, it will be a lot of work, but I think many people who got -btw guys, whats the name of this if its not a scam? getting tricked?- tricked into this will help.

You can do something, learn to read the prices, I am not been mean to you, but you must pay attention when buying stuff, use the option to see items starting by their lower price. I get confused too sometimes, but like an old man told me once many years ago, measure twice cut once.

Yep, after many years of playing (and reading right) I made this mistake by sorting from the different side, but thanks ti the many helpfull tipps people provided here I thinkmI can avoid it in the future.

One problem that I noticed lately and it is an old known bug is that sometimes the GTN dont let you sort, I have to close it and close my bag and then open it again and then it let me sort this time, so you must be careful with this old bug.

And maybe also an indicator that this price is above 100% more than the cheapest? Or an additional warning for this?

What they really need to do is rework how materials work altogether.

Instead of treating them as items, stacks and all that nonsense, treat them like commodities they are. No storage, no stacks, just total ownership and automatic commodity purchase.

One problem that I noticed lately and it is an old known bug is that sometimes the GTN dont let you sort, I have to close it and close my bag and then open it again and then it let me sort this time, so you must be careful with this old bug.

I have it often, i fix it by using the sort by stack price button and then the item price

The GTN UI bears part of the blame too:

If you sort by "unit price, lowest first", and then search for something else, the interface still pretends that the results are sorted by unit price, but actually there is no sorting at all. (Just like your first search result after logging in. I guess it's sorted by internal database-entry number)

I have bought some overpriced items due to this, but nothing seriously expensive so far, for the truly expensive items I double check my settings...

Edited by Mubrak