Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Harbinger, Begeren Colony, and The Bastion currently unavailable

TaitWatson

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question, since this has been going on for a couple days now, why isn't anything permanent being done about it? Instead of just rebooting the servers and rolling everyone's characters back? This is causing a lot of unrest in the community... I don't normally post on forums, but this is getting a bit out of hand. I'm not looking for any kind of freebies or handouts, I just want to enjoy the game that I have put a LOT of money into. Sure, I could start characters on another server, but the amount of time I have put into my Legacy characters on Harbinger would take a very long time to reproduce.

Most people would say that not being able to access the server you play on isn't a big deal. I disagree. When you have spent years developing 10+ characters on a single server, starting over fresh is akin to a kick in the face. Starting fresh and new on a server where you have a good solid foundation of characters/income makes a world of difference.

I don't ask for much. Stable servers. That's all.

I totaly agree , ive been playing since pre-release just want servers to be stable please!!!

It's one day of not being able to play. Shut the **** up.

Actually, BioWare has not released an ETA, so how do you know it is just one day?

And do you really think telling people to shut up on the Internet will actually get them to shut up?

If so, either get a clue or seek professional help for your megalomania, as appropriate.

I totaly agree , ive been playing since pre-release just want servers to be stable please!!!

While no system is perfect, the servers used to be more stable than they have been recently. In the year and a half I've been a subscriber, this is the worst server stability I've ever seen.

Relax, this kind of thing doesn't happen very often at all, despite all that could go wrong. its been a long time since they had to take the servers down like this. As long as we're informed, and they are working to fix it, that's all that should matter. It could be like some games where there's no resolution at all after several days. We pay so that when these things happen they do go about fixing it right away. As long as they keep us updated you should be comforted knowing that they're working to repair the problem. With trillions of bits of data to sort out to find the problem, it takes time. We should be thankful we have a team that gets on top of things as quickly as they do. Thanks for the hard work, Hope it gets resolved soon.,

I will give Bioware credit for being as open about the issues as they are. They do a good job of keeping us posted on these tech problems, clearly this was one that they truly didn't see coming, or had bet their math that it would work fine, it happens. I used to work customer service for a similar company, and in the tech department, those guys are screaming, blaming, arguing, and diligently trying to find out who the hell "dropped a 2 in the binary".. Credit to the guys pulling their hair out, chugging coffee, popping stackers, and trying their best to force persuade the server: "You will log on 14k players effortlessly"...

While no system is perfect, the servers used to be more stable than they have been recently. In the year and a half I've been a subscriber, this is the worst server stability I've ever seen.

It also seems to always be Harbinger, just offer free transfers to anyone that wants them and let me and my family go elsewhere, there load lightened.

Edited by Damiclies

Hey folks,

We are continuing to look at the issues on the Harbinger, so it will remain offline for now. I still don't have any ETA for you.

I also wanted to let you know that The Bastion and Begeren Colony will continue to experience small queue times, but we will be leaving those servers online.

Thanks!

-Tait

In the style of Midnight oil Beds are Burning

Why should we sleep when the Harbinger is crashing

How can we sleep when it's Dalborra we should be thrashing

The time has come

to say fairs fair

We pay our sub

We pay our share

The time has come

a facts a fact

Dalborra should live

lets get it back

I didn't intend to simply complain, but express that this is an issue that paying customers shouldn't have to PAY for.

SO let's break down how much money you're losing, shall we?

The average month has about 730 hours in it.

$15 / 730 = $.02 per hour that the server is down.

Granted, some people can only play certain times, and I sympathize with that - but you voluntarily pay for a lot more hours that you don't use than what you lose when the server goes down for an hour or two....

It also seems to always be Harbinger, *** offer free transfers to anyone that wants them and let me and my family go elsewhere, there load lightened.

Is it that bad? Come on think of your net as a server. Would you start yelling at your internet provider if the net went down and they email you a message saying "Sorry for the inconvenience" while you're not online.Would you yell at them demanding a free month of service? LOL

Relax, this kind of thing doesn't happen very often at all, despite all that could go wrong. its been a long time since they had to take the servers down like this.

That's kind of what is troubling about it. Server stability has gone down. One expects it to remain constant or improve, not get worse, if the people running the system are competent.

It is worrisome that competence is not on display here. There seems to be no automatic server health monitoring, with BW instead relying on Forum reports from players. Then, the servers are taken offline with a Forum post giving advance warning, but no in-game warning - what competent server admin does that?

Frankly, someone in server administration at BW may need to be replaced.

Thanks but not a problem. It went down while I was standing next to the datacron so hopefully, that's where I'll be when it comes back up. If not, I can run through again. With all the xp boosts I've been using, I'm kind of an over the weight class lvl 30 for those guys anyway.

Thanks again though.

I was on Voss when the server crashed the first time today, but was in my stronghold when it came back up. I hope that you have better luck than I did.

I don't see what the big deal is, yeah they could have warned us beforehand like other MMO's tend to do. But at least they're keeping us informed and working on fixing it, right? Hell I'm more curious about what's the cause of this? Is it because of all the new features from 2.9? Or perhaps a glitch in the sever itself?

Regardless, I'll take the time to just go to shadowlands, make a JK or Trooper and lvl there or something.:)

SO let's break down how much money you're losing, shall we?

The average month has about 730 hours in it.

$15 / 730 = $.02 per hour that the server is down.

Granted, some people can only play certain times, and I sympathize with that - but you voluntarily pay for a lot more hours that you don't use than what you lose when the server goes down for an hour or two....

If I play for an average of 2 hrs a day, or tops of 40hrs a month, the amount of money lost per hour is quite different. Bust out yer calkyulater on thatun'there!

So my question, since this has been going on for a couple days now, why isn't anything permanent being done about it?

Wait... Isn't the reason the server is down right now exactly because they are doing something permanent about it? Otherwise they could just let it stay as it was.

Is it that bad? Come on think of your net as a server. Would you start yelling at your internet provider if the net went down and they email you a message saying "Sorry for the inconvenience" while you're not online.Would you yell at them demanding a free month of service? LOL

ACTUALLY I am a charter customer and I DID get a 1/2 off month when their system failed last week, so there. :p

Wait... Isn't the reason the server is down right now exactly because they are doing something permanent about it? Otherwise they could just let it stay as it was.

I doubt it, they will probably put a bandaid on the problem while they try to figure out the root cause.

If they could not restore service with a reboot, than finding the root cause in software as complex as SWTOR may take days or weeks, frankly.

The odds I will get many more than the three Imps I already have to their Conquest targets this week are not good. I was on track to getting all 10 to it. :(

Edited by BuriDogshin

I would most definitely do that and so would/have other people, Its not unreasonable to expect a service you pay for to work.

That's kind of what is troubling about it. Server stability has gone down. One expects it to remain constant or improve, not get worse, if the people running the system are competent.

It is worrisome that competence is not on display here. There seems to be no automatic server health monitoring, with BW instead relying on Forum reports from players. Then, the servers are taken offline with a Forum post giving advance warning, but no in-game warning - what competent server admin does that?

Maybe they smelled smoke.

As for offering compenation for downtime, I don't really have any opinions on that, as I have absolutely no idea what the industry standard is.

Check the Terms of Service:

IOWARE PROVIDES TOR SERVICES ON A COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE BASIS AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS OR USE TOR SERVICES AT TIMES OR LOCATIONS OF YOUR CHOOSING, OR THAT BIOWARE WILL HAVE ADEQUATE CAPACITY FOR TOR SERVICES AS A WHOLE OR IN ANY SPECIFIC GEOGRAPHIC AREA.

Sorry for the caps. It's theirs, not mine.

TL;DR: By creating an account, you agreed that it was okay if the service was unavailable at times.

while i definitely agree with you and sympathize for sure, that's another dollar a month from all of us for all these things, and let's face it our community is small compared to other games, but we do have a great team of techs who usually do a pretty good job. let's remember when they went to 6 week maintenance, this is the best that the server has run since i've played, even with the many many more players added to it when they shut down and combined servers. but i digress, it is troubling the recent string of glitches and bad patches, hopefully we see a better string of luck in the future, but none the less, thank you guys for working to fix it. I appreciate it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.