Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Scammed on the GTN

xxZiriusxx

To help people with this, sort items by unit price, you can't actually mess it up that way.

It still can be confusing for some people. Here is an example.

Sorted by highest Unit price: http://i.imgur.com/KN5sogr.jpg

Sorted by lowest Unit price: http://i.imgur.com/fWk6Le3.jpg

See, the problem is that when you put a stack of 99, you pick a price for the whole stack, and the GTN divides the price per unit. But when the result is not a whole number, it puts a dot (.) to separate the decimals. And a comma (,) to just separate the thousands.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you keep calling mislistings scams, that is you claiming to know intent. Its not rocket science.

I'm not calling mislistings scams, I'm calling listings with the intent to deceive scams (as per the definition). That is, if the intent was to deceive then it's a scam. What part of both times I've specifically said that I can't prove and don't claim to know with certainty the person's intent do you not understand? Do you have trouble reading or do you just enjoy making strawman arguments.

And anyway, that same question could be relayed back to you. If you keep calling scams mislistings that is you claiming to know intent, is it not?

Edited by MillionsKNives

When you sort by unit price you accidentally sort it twice. When you sort it twice you think that the unit price of 333,000 is actually 333 credits. When you think the unit price is 333 credits you spend a couple million on overpriced goods. When you lose millions on overpriced goods you complain about it on the internet. When you complain about it on the internet people argue over it for 40 pages.

Don't start a 40 page flame war. Get rid of cable and upgrade to Direct TV.

What does it display on screen? I must admit, I have never had sufficient funds to accidentally buy something as expensive as the OP, but I regularly buy blue and purple mats on the GTN and I am pretty sure it puts the zeros there, but if it just says 333k I can get behind a change in the UI. I am not sure how anyone could mistake 333,000 with anything other than that number.

I will say I against over pricing items to take advantage of someone who is tired or in a hurry. I am not sure how they can police that though.

You were *not* scammed.

If you pay $5 for a Starbucks coffee when you can pay $1 at 7-11 are you being scammed? No. You're either making a mistake or a poor decision but whatever the reason is the fault lies in you, the buyer.

The GTN opens a dialog window "Do you want to buy X for Y credits? Yes No"!

Reverse GTN deals would cause chaos.

As a seller when do you get your credits, if it can be reversed?

Just read the dialog window, it tells you (again) the price and what you're buing.

Reverse GTN deals would cause chaos.

As a seller when do you get your credits, if it can be reversed?

Just read the dialog window, it tells you (again) the price and what you're buing.

Not to mention the potential abuse it would generate.

People would start trolling other sellers, by supposedly purchasing whatever they have to sell and then going for the refund button.

The unfortunate thing about confirmation boxes is that no one reads them. People have become trained to ignore all of the text and just click "OK" to get through it as fast as possible. And the people who need it the most are the most likely to ignore it.

The unfortunate thing about confirmation boxes is that no one reads them. People have become trained to ignore all of the text and just click "OK" to get through it as fast as possible. And the people who need it the most are the most likely to ignore it.

You can't possibly blame the GTN, Bioware or even the sellers - regardless of their intent - for that.

If people wanna be silly - and I can think of more colorful words - it's on them.

How is this thread still going? seriously you cant be scammed on the GTN the prices are listed infront of your eyes and the item cant be changed out for something else mid sale. people thinking someone posting garbage up for a big price is scamming really need to get scammed. that would at least teach them what a scam truely is.

You were *not* scammed.

If you pay $5 for a Starbucks coffee when you can pay $1 at 7-11 are you being scammed? No. You're either making a mistake or a poor decision but whatever the reason is the fault lies in you, the buyer.

That analogy doesn't exactly work in this case. Starbucks coffee and 7-11 are sold in two very different stores and settings. It's more like a grocery store, pricing most of the same coffee the same, except a few, and counting on the fact that a tired shopper wouldn't check the pricetag, but just assume, because size, package, and label are all identical, that they are all in fact the same price.

You can't possibly blame the GTN, Bioware or even the sellers - regardless of their intent - for that.

If people wanna be silly - and I can think of more colorful words - it's on them.

You're right, I can't and I'm not going to blame them for that. I mentioned that mainly to a) point out that confirmation boxes don't solve the issue of mistaken purchases and b) to comment on and lament the fact that users as a whole are so stupid that they practically go out of their way to thwart developers' attempts to save them from themselves. Outside of making it impossible at all, I don't think there's any protection system that a developer could dream up that a determined idiot couldn't ignore his way through to reach his final goal of utter self-destruction, which he would then complain about extensively on the forums that they didn't make it idiot-proof enough.

Note: the above cynicism only partially relates to the topic at hand, but is for the most part unrelated.

You're right, I can't and I'm not going to blame them for that. I mentioned that mainly to a) point out that confirmation boxes don't solve the issue of mistaken purchases and b) to comment on and lament the fact that users as a whole are so stupid that they practically go out of their way to thwart developers' attempts to save them from themselves. Outside of making it impossible at all, I don't think there's any protection system that a developer could dream up that a determined idiot couldn't ignore his way through to reach his final goal of utter self-destruction, which he would then complain about extensively on the forums that they didn't make it idiot-proof enough.

Note: the above cynicism only partially relates to the topic at hand, but is for the most part unrelated.

I believe we're getting closer to achieving a consensus. :D

That analogy doesn't exactly work in this case. Starbucks coffee and 7-11 are sold in two very different stores and settings. It's more like a grocery store, pricing most of the same coffee the same, except a few, and counting on the fact that a tired shopper wouldn't check the pricetag, but just assume, because size, package, and label are all identical, that they are all in fact the same price.

so basically when you are buying brand name instead of generic that was specifically designed to resemble brand name and pay more... you consider it a scam? wait no, actualy grocery store analogy doesn't really work. you know what does though? farmer's market.

since its lots of different individual sellers and they all set their own price. so you look around and you notice these great tomatoes but you don't pay attention that it says 1.99 per tomatoe not per pound and you think, my goodness, what a great deal and then you buy it and realize that wait, its just single tomato.

its not a scam. its you not paying attention to a listed price.

when someone misreads a number, it doesn't matter if they are sleepy or misclicked or whatever. THEY misread the number. it doesn't mean that seller was trying to scam them or that overly high price is a scam. all it takes is paying attention. and yes, confirmation screen is there to remind you to pay attention. since it tells you your total purchase price. if you chose to ignore it? its on you. you are not scamed anymore then when you chose to sign a contract without reading it and then realize that its not exactly favorable to you. it would be a scam if you weren't allowed to read it before hand, or were rushed through it or whatever else.

You saying that doesn't make it so.

The fact that you refuse to read the points being made is also not our fault.

You are simply wrong. But that's ok, many people are perfectly happy being ignorant.

]You saying that doesn't make it so.

You are simply wrong. But that's ok, many people are perfectly happy being ignorant.

Goes both ways, except he wasn't scammed and that's the correct response.

You saying that doesn't make it so.

Not being able to read numbers at the third grade level is not a scam, no matter how much you simply prefer to be wrong and ignorant.

Not being able to read numbers at the third grade level is not a scam, no matter how much you simply prefer to be wrong and ignorant.

When the third grader argues with the teacher over the answer, that doesn't give him/her an equal voice in the conversation.

In this case, the people calling it "not a scam" are the third graders...

They are welcome to their opinion, however wrong it may be... nothing typed on an Internet message forum is going to change their minds.

Is it so hard to believe that people can define scam differently?

Merriam Webster: scam (fraud) " An act of deceiving or misrepresenting"

The intent of the seller was clearly to deceive... so it is a scam, although this is a broad definition.

also Merriam Webster: scam (fraud): " Intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right"

The truth was not perverted, as the price posted was the correct sale price regardless of whether the sellers intent was 'banking' on people misreading it.

Boom. Everyone is right.... Except for those saying the other side is wrong... which is basically everyone. So everyone is wrong. Except me.

/Thread

P.S. since no one agreed with my previous comment I'll repost: I'd really like a system where we could make a selection where all our searches automatically sorted by lowest price. It's just annoying to do it every time I search since I do it a lot. This wouldn't be too hard to implement would it? Also it would put a dent in these sellers' tomfoolery.

Edited by rashadk