Eric Musco & Courtney Woods: ALS Ice Challenge Nomination...

Sindorin

Eric and Courtney, I was recently challenged by a friend of the family to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I took the challenge, and I've also made a small donation to the ALS Association as well in order to help #StrikeOutALS. I have nominated you in this video to take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge as well, or to donate $100 instead.

You have 24 hours and counting people. For The Republic! :rak_04:

Eric and Courtney, I was recently challenged by a friend of the family to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I took the challenge, and I've also made a small donation to the ALS Association as well in order to help #StrikeOutALS. I have nominated you in this video to take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge as well, or to donate $100 instead.

You have 24 hours and counting people. For The Republic! :rak_04:

they aren't online til Monday so when they see this there will only be like 12 hours left!!

I wonder if you understand what you are REALLY supporting here. Take a look at the foundation in question, how much they pay in salaries & benefits, and how little actually goes to support the issue.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/als-ice-bucket-challenge-do-you-know-what-you-are-supporting/

And did you know? You don't have to pour ice on your head to donate to charity.

Edited by MSchuyler

I wonder if you understand what you are REALLY supporting here. Take a look at the foundation in question, how much they pay in salaries & benefits, and how little actually goes to support the issue.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/als-ice-bucket-challenge-do-you-know-what-you-are-supporting/

but pouring the ice on your head helps spread awareness, even Bill Gates has done it, he donated but also made sure to do the challenge on video to help spread the word.

Also, I found out, when ice water is poured over your head and neck like that your nerves are affected the same way as people with ALS do, so thats where this all came from, its not just random.

I will reply about the link as soon as I get a good chance to read it.

Edited by Sangrar

Yeah, that article from a alternative medicine/anti-vax site really seems unbiased. Also, I think that no one actually expects that his or hers entire contribution goes only into the research (I hope that educated people realize that every organization costs something to run).

Last year (ALSA revenue was ~24m USD), 28% went to research, 19% into patient care and 32% into educating people about ALS, that is 79% of expenses. The latter two things are just as important. And every organization has running costs.

As far as these running costs go, the article presents certain logical fallacies. For some reason, it adds "administrative costs" number from pie chart together with numbers from tax report that seem to me like they are part of administrative costs (Part IX, column C) (basically, it adds the number twice), and it completely disregards the fact that people working for ALS, who I assume are people doing the education/patient support (so basically, everyone not part of the top management), must be paid as well. And these numbers are very likely divided into other parts of the pie chart. The number of money going into the research (~7.2m or 28% of expenses) is correct, assuming that is what the "grants to organizations" parts mean.

Also, so what if stem cells (obtained from an aborted fetus with mother's consent) are used? Stem cells are (most likely) the future of medical science. Why do you think that people who discovered how to "reset" existing cells received Nobel Prizes?

I think I would much rather put my faith in medical research with stem cells than some magical coconut oil, which might help to alleviate some of the symptoms, but as far as treatment goes, it is probably as effective as laying down in pyramid shaped tent.

Also, the entire purpose "ice bucket challenge" is to raise awareness. The ALSA reports that thanks to it, they received nearly 35 times more money in donations (~70m now vs ~2.5m last year) in space between July and August. Now, that is nearly 3 times the entire revenue of the organization for the last year. I hope you now realize the effect this "campaign" has, and I hope you will start reading something more factual than anti-vax websites ;)

Edited by Aries_cz

This "phenomenon" has become more about the rate at which social media latches onto something and it goes viral and less about what it really is for.

How much of this is about people really just dumping water on their heads and getting their face time on a viral video? How many people actually know what ALS is? How many people actually care what ALS is and what this charity does?

It is basically one giant guilt trip.

Would you prefer they:

a) dump a bucket of ice water on their heads

b) donate money but never say how much,

d) donate and say how much because the "i donated" announcement makes people feel so much better about themselves

c) donate AND dump a bucket of ice water on their heads

personally I would go with b) if they donate it should be up to them and only them, and it is nobodies business but their own.

This "phenomenon" has become more about the rate at which social media latches onto something and it goes viral and less about what it really is for.

How much of this is about people really just dumping water on their heads and getting their face time on a viral video? How many people actually know what ALS is? How many people actually care what ALS is and what this charity does?

It is basically one giant guilt trip.

Would you prefer they:

a) dump a bucket of ice water on their heads

b) donate money but never say how much,

d) donate and say how much because the "i donated" announcement makes people feel so much better about themselves

c) donate AND dump a bucket of ice water on their heads

personally I would go with b) if they donate it should be up to them and only them, and it is nobodies business but their own.

You forgot E do nothing cause you don't care and you are an *** hole( I chose E)

Edited by Master_Hitsugaya

You forgot E do nothing cause you don't care and you are an *** hole( I chose E)

thats the "I just want to see chicks in wet t-shirts option" or the "see idiots drop buckets on their heads" option

Edited by DOHboy

I didn't care about ALS before this ******** started, and I dont care now.

I'm so edgy.

You don't have to care... there are too many "causes" in the world to really care about all of them...

But you can be respectful. :)

The people who have ALS, who live with it, or live around it, sure do care... It is in society's best interest to remove such things from our world.

You don't have to care... there are too many "causes" in the world to really care about all of them...

But you can be respectful. :)

The people who have ALS, who live with it, or live around it, sure do care... It is in society's best interest to remove such things from our world.

problem is, at one point it stopped being about ALS and more about just being viral. Reminiscent of the "pay it forward" @ that coffee shop over the weekend. At one point it stopped being about the deed and more about just propagation.

I didn't care about ALS before this ******** started, and I dont care now.

I'm so edgy.

My dad died of ALS in April of this year. It is a horrible disease that could affect you or someone you know in the future, so right now you could care less, but who knows what the future brings. In January he started to lose the ability to walk and talk. And it progressed from there where he eventually could not even swallow. To watch a loved one go through this is horrible. I am very happy that this disease is getting recognized and people are donating to it.

On another note, my husband also died this year to Bile Duct Cancer (a rare cancer). So I need to start thinking of a way for more people to become more aware to this disease. Life can hit you hard sometimes. So be more considerate when posting about not caring. Cause there are a lot of people out there who do.

My dad died of ALS in April of this year. It is a horrible disease that could affect you or someone you know in the future, so right now you could care less, but who knows what the future brings. In January he started to lose the ability to walk and talk. And it progressed from there where he eventually could not even swallow. To watch a loved one go through this is horrible. I am very happy that this disease is getting recognized and people are donating to it.

On another note, my husband also died this year to Bile Duct Cancer (a rare cancer). So I need to start thinking of a way for more people to become more aware to this disease. Life can hit you hard sometimes. So be more considerate when posting about not caring. Cause there are a lot of people out there who do.

See thats the thing, its a horrible disease affecting about 30k people in the US. It has no known cure and I bet over 75% of the people taking this "challenge" couldn't even identify one person in history who had this disease (an who's name the disease is commonly referred to as).

I just wish people were more for the cause because of the cause, not because of the viral nature of the "challenge". It stopped being about ALS along time ago. The donations are a good thing, and has earned about 10x the amount it normally does, I guess in the end it doesn't matter how they raise the money, just that they do.

I look at it like "I voted" buttons. Those who vote don't vote to wear a button. If you need a button after you vote, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, that article from a alternative medicine/anti-vax site really seems unbiased.

"The Vaccine Autism Cover-up: How One Doctor’s Career was Destroyed for Telling the Truth"

:D

I don't understand why you would not believe something that's written on that well-informed, 100% scientific site.

/end_sarcasm