Powertech or juggernaut?

MyzticRanger

I didn't know where else to post this and I'm sorry if there are other threads like this but as the thread suggest I would like to know which to continue leveling. I currently have a level 25 powertech and level 22 juggernaut and would like to know which is better for pve,pvp and for both dps and tanking. Thanks in advance.

I didn't know where else to post this and I'm sorry if there are other threads like this but as the thread suggest I would like to know which to continue leveling. I currently have a level 25 powertech and level 22 juggernaut and would like to know which is better for pve,pvp and for both dps and tanking. Thanks in advance.

Idk statistically and tbh, Idc. What I can say from the personal experience is that PT is, at least for me, minimally 50% better.

But then again, both it and Vang are my fav classes so... :p . I must come and represent them ;) . (Although I like merc as well-everything BH is awesome! Please do note the colour of the text)

Edited by Cuiwe

Can't personally speak for PVP (although juggs are really obnoxious to kill) so I won't say anything about it, but in PVE I can help a bit.

TANKING

PTs are your middle ground. Not the best threat (that's sins), not the best cooldowns around (IMO that's juggs). They are easy to learn and it doesn't take much effort to become competent as a PT tank. Though it takes getting used to, they have decent AOE threat for adds and trash. Not to mention that with a grapple and a jump, it's easy to position mobs. They're a great beginner tank.

Juggernauts have solid single-target threat, but lack the AOE threat of the sin or PT, making adds or trash harder to control without practice. The cooldowns are amazing, saber reflect in particular as it not only keeps you from taking damage but it essentially deals damage to whoever attacks you, helping your threat gen. Juggs also have several high threat abilities to help out on holding bosses. One thing I'm always disappointed in is the lack of a movement speed increase. Sins have Force Speed and PTs have Hydraulic Overrides, both of which purge movement-impairing effects and increase your speed by x amount for y time. Juggs have no such ability.

DAMAGE

Go Juggernaut. Jugg DPS is in a good place right now. Though it can do insanely well when played correctly, most people cringe when they see PT DPS (in part because so many PTs play at range when in fact Powertechs are a melee class).

I <3 Halton the PT tank, my main :)

Edited by FrozenGoalie

Can't personally speak for PVP (although juggs are really obnoxious to kill) so I won't say anything about it, but in PVE I can help a bit.

DAMAGE

Go Juggernaut. Jugg DPS is in a good place right now. Though it can do insanely well when played correctly, most people cringe when they see PT DPS (in part because so many PTs play at range when in fact Powertechs are a melee class).

Not sure where you got this from as currently PT dps is better than Juggernaut in both mobility and raw damage output. Yes there are a few people that play it horribly wrong but PT is the better dps all around.

Juggernaut/Guardian are pretty much FoTM right now.

Great damage and survivability.

That being said, PT and VG are also very good good with damage. Their tanking is good, but it doesn't feel right for me. They don't really seem to have many tanking abilities, just pure damage mitigation.

Juggernaut/Guardian are pretty much FoTM right now.

Great damage and survivability.

In what way do they have great damage? Burst or sustained?

Good burst, some small damage from burns but the initial hits are pretty high.

Plus, you can get a Ravage/Master strike off like every 14 seconds now and root enemy in the process.

I have a Juggernaut, plus a Guardian and Vanguard (Jugg and PT Republic mirrors) as part of my many characters.

I've been seeing a lot about how Juggs and Guardians are the "Flavor of the Month" currently; I would say maybe for the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight classes at least. However, I would argue that there are a ton of Powertechs and Vanguards out there now since the Pyro/Assault mega buff in 2.8, even more then Jugg/Guardian numbers currently. As such, VG/PT would be your overall FOTM in my opinion and from what I've seen played lately.

That said, cant really add to anything anyone else has said. Both Juggs and PTs do great DPS (Pyro PTs are about as good as DPS in SWTOR gets, sans Annihilation Maras/Watchmen Sents or Balance/Madness Shadows/Assassins*) and both have very good tanking ability with their own unique strengths and weaknesses.

My first character in SWTOR was a Guardian, followed by a Vanguard. Both play styles really called to me, and I find both of them enjoyable.

I think you will enjoy the Powertech as you eariler said you were going with. Have fun with it, as its an awesome advanced class to play, with a play-style very unique in MMOs

* - Edit from a correction by TACeMossie

Edited by mastervalkar

(Pyro PTs are about as good as DPS in SWTOR gets, sans Annihilation Maras/Watchmen Sents)

We're actually leaving those poor sents in the dust :p

Our only competition is Balance/Madness Shadows/Assassins for PvE DPS, and we're a hell of a lot burstier and more mobile than them. Plus most of that gap was a gear gap :p

I've seen what pyros can do, especially if you time TD, ED, IM, and RS Perfectly followed by RP if they aren't already dead, they can destroy someone before they knew they were alive! Survivability seems good too with pyro kolto overload reduces damage taken by 30% which while being healed is basically god mode and yeah so far it's been a very fun class and I'm sure it will continue to get better as I level up :)

P.S can't wait to get shoulder cannons at 51! :D

We're actually leaving those poor sents in the dust :p

Our only competition is Balance/Madness Shadows/Assassins for PvE DPS, and we're a hell of a lot burstier and more mobile than them. Plus most of that gap was a gear gap :p

I stand corrected. Funny how Assassins/Shadows were garbage pre 2.8, then they add a proc for their sub 30% ability, buff a few DoTs and other abilities, and they rocket the Top 3 Best DPS. I'm think a harsh nerf-bat hit in their future (sorry Assassins and Shadows)

I've seen what pyros can do, especially if you time TD, ED, IM, and RS Perfectly followed by RP if they aren't already dead, they can destroy someone before they knew they were alive! Survivability seems good too with pyro kolto overload reduces damage taken by 30% which while being healed is basically god mode and yeah so far it's been a very fun class and I'm sure it will continue to get better as I level up :)

P.S can't wait to get shoulder cannons at 51! :D

Kolto Overload is great, but still doesn't have anything on Focused/Enraged Defense of the Guardians/Juggs. That my friend is 10 secs of true God-mode if used correctly

Honestly, you can't go bad choosing either.

They are both "reasonably" melee focused, Jugg moreso then PT. PT has more 10ft abilities, and a few full range abilities in advantage over the jugg, but the jugg has far better mobility (unless you are a full tank spec with the Pt, and even at that, jugg leap ability in solo play is amazing).

PT's still feel a bit more like a "ranged" class though, in spite of their mostly melee status. I think it comes from the fact that your still shooting a gun (flamethrower, etc.) at the target rather then literally hitting them...but this is personal thoughts on how the class feels.

Both do good enough DPS that you won't be "shelved" for anything in the game. Both Jugg's and PT's are welcome in every aspect of the game, for both tanking and DPS. It really boils down to a personal preference on playstyle.

In the end, i have 3 juggs, and 2 PT's (working on my second) in addition to eveyr other class in the game. So that should convince you that both are enjoyable. play one, and if you get bored, hop over to the other! you may suprise yourself...early on jugg's feel a bit slow (they mature later in the game). But in their 40's they are a blast. Pt's felt very smooth the entire leveling curve...quite powerful early on, and tapering off a bit to a comfortable power level later on.

Worth it to keep both IMO.

Wow thanks I never really thought of it that way. I agree that juggs feel slow at first but that's only because I'm not used to this playstyle in the sense that I don't normally have to build up my resource to use abilities it's always available to me so I'm still getting used to that but I will definitely keep leveling both

Do you know what it looks like when a Pyro PT with damage buff gets the opener on a target at max range and continues closing in firing all he's got? Tell you what: I had Juggernauts blow up by the time I rocket-punch them. To perplex to even do their ED. I had sorcs dieing before I could even reach them! Yes - Pyro PT is ridiculously strong right now. You might not have Enraged Defense... but you can do an incredible amount of damage from 10m away (against melee thats 90% damage reduction), you have your total movement impairing freedom... and you got cc.

Can you even imagine what it would feel like to switch from Pyro PT to anything else?

Oh I know: go marauder first, then do a pyro. You'll feel godlike!

• 3 weeks later...