The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

I keep seeing this argument over and over and it just shows that people are ignorant to GMT time zones.

There isn't just one GMT zone, there are many. There are players who play this game in zones GMT - GMT + 4. This means that at 4pm GMT (the time maintenance is set to finish) it is 8pm in Moscow. These are NOT off-peak hours like you keep stating.

Not to mention that many people work at night, work from home, or don't work at all (Europe does, after all, have a fairly high unemployment rate like the US, though not nearly as high).

The "you should be at work" argument is full of arrogance, gloat, and lack of understanding of how the world works. People should not display their stupidity so openly, imho.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter.. if people are able to play those certain times or not. Its giving us half a day less at an ideal time for some members. I'm a teacher, so I won't be playing within the day. Mostly at the weekend, but does that give me the right to gloat at members that are free on Tuesday to find they can't play because of time zone maintenance.

I can understand that bioware are doing this to give equal opportunity so both can get the patch at the same time.. I wonder if this is just for shear laziness or for a "good intention". But it's down right wrong! I think bioware should attempt to resolve this, even though I doubt they can. I think what happened was that they hosted both of the same mainframe, which means that if maintenance happens both will have to get it. That's why everyone can see US and EU realms. The forums are also on the same place for this reason.

I know there maybe "fanbois" that are one of bioware's layer of defence in defending them.. but come on. A bit lame... I now a maintenance has to be done.. but then why not split it. Why defend something that could potential change for the betterment of the people? If bioware screwed up.. then say it. At least we would now that they can't change it because ZXY instead of letting us posting this out. But as always there are ways in fixing almost anything server related.

Please do fix this bioware.. try not to be stubborn about it. If you don't you'll be showing people exactly what they don't want to see. That a leopard can't change its stripes and your still the same.

~Athena (Tassaa Bareesh - Serenity)

Edited by Cypherproxy

I'm British so not actually European*. I will still support injustice whether in the US or Europe.

*Tee Hee

I am British so I am actually European, and I also support this injustice. I am seriously contemplating holding back by sub on this matter, even though it does not affect me directly. Other games I have played stagger downtimes, so I see no reason not to do the same here.

Too bad there won't be enough players who quit over this to make it matter friend. When do you want them to do it? During prime time US times right?

Why not use the same time slot? Since many US posters in this thread are adamant that the window is not really a problem for them. Try the shoe on the other foot and see the result, I would pay for that entertainment :D

Globally [...] The fact that you don't understand this concept

couldn't resist. is it WE who don't understand the meaning of GLOBAL?

remind me please... WORLDWIDE release. GLOBAL launch. ring any bells?

Edited by Urdnaxela

Not again. :(

Every time they do this, I'm losing gaming time. Last time I lost 10 hours. I didn't even know they were going to bring them down at this time frame. This time, again almost 10 hours.

I am a student, I don't work. I pay to play their game. When I told of this last week to my friends, workers at ISP's/Telecoms, they laughed at me.

This is the first MMO, that has treated me like this.

Can someone explain to me, why the maintenance in the US is when people sleep, but in EU is when people actually PLAY THE GAME?! Someone from BioWare. I want an explanation. Like right now!

Because let's get this straight, I basically lose 2 days of playing time every month and I pay the same fee as WoW, where I haven't even noticed their maintenance ?

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. ~Keith Ledger

Yes. Instead of READING and ACKNOWLEDGING that there are various solutions to the problem, wrote many times by many different people on this forum, you come up with a "smart" quote.

FOR EXAMPLE: Since they maintain LIVE and PTR servers, that do get maintained differently as they have different versions of SWTOR, i see no reason why they are not able to maintain US and EU servers separately.

Edited by Urdnaxela

Not again. :(

Every time they do this, I'm losing gaming time. Last time I lost 10 hours. I didn't even know they were going to bring them down at this time frame. This time, again almost 10 hours.

I am a student, I don't work. I pay to play their game. When I told of this last week to my friends, workers at ISP's/Telecoms, they laughed at me.

This is the first MMO, that has treated me like this.

Can someone explain to me, why the maintenance in the US is when people sleep, but in EU is when people actually PLAY THE GAME?! Someone from BioWare. I want an explanation. Like right now!

Because let's get this straight, I basically lose 2 days of playing time every month and I pay the same fee as WoW, where I haven't even noticed their maintenance ?

BioWare's explanation is that at that time fewest people are online. Obviously this is bull, the game launched 2 weeks ago, there's no way they can have reliable metrics yet on who's online when, but since it's nighttime for the Merkans it's good enough.

Making separate maintenance schedules is a lot of work apparently, and BioWare feels accommodating the significant player portion from Europe is a complete waste of resources.

Time frame aside, 8 hour downtime is unacceptable unless it is an emergency or MAJOR content patch is applied like EQ2's GU.

In this case it not an emergency and not a major content patch.

It's a hotfix + maintenance.

Other mmo operators do such things in 1-2 hours. Yes, that's right local IT guys, who was defending BioWare is various threads - other companies do it much faster. We don't have to be uber admins to see, that BW staff is just incompetent... that is on top of being disrespectful to EU customers.

Edited by Alexx_T

I was about to say the same thing to our brothers and sisters in the GMT area. Don't you work during those times?

No, i actually don't. I pay Americans to do my job, and they do it for scraps instead of sleeping...

I do what i friggin want to do. It's none of your business, drone. Having separate maintenance times will not affect you drone. Still, being a typical American, you insist that we should not ask for a separate maintenance timeframe simply because, well... no reason at all, just because you're a typical American.

rift does maintenance and updates over a 30 minute period, i have only seen rift have a long period of maintenance once and that was to fix a major issue, but even that was dealt with in 2 hours and it is a far more complex game than this one

I am starting to write. Today. First I'm going to start with BioWare. Because I'm polite. Then I'm going to write to every major gaming website. This is HUGE and people should know about it. Imagine just for a second if this was happening in WoW. The internet would have exploded by now. I won't let BioWare/EA go on with this. They don't want to get noticed. Sorry it's not going to happen.

First things first - I will write in the biggest hardware forum in my country. Plenty of people there, that don't yet know, but soon will.

No, i actually don't. I pay Americans to do my job, and they do it for scraps instead of sleeping...

I do what i friggin want to do. It's none of your business, drone. Having separate maintenance times will not affect you drone. Still, being a typical American, you insist that we should not ask for a separate maintenance timeframe simply because, well... no reason at all, just because you're a typical American.

Agree. Funny thing is with all their political correctness some americans don't see anything wrong in telling others when and what to do. It is rude. You going crazy about stuff like using word "n*****r" instead of "african-american", but don't see anything wrong in messing (or at least trying to mess) with other's lives. Give me brake...

P.S.: *** - it's not filter, i did it.

What I keep seeing here is the mention of 'patch' in connection with this server maintenance.

And frankly, it leaves a rather sour taste in my mouth!

Yes, the PTS is right now on patch 1.0.2

So, does that mean that BW will be firing out new patches on a weekly base while doing their maintenance?

If yes, frankly, what's the point of running a PTS?

'Hello, we released Patch XYZ on the PTS today, but don't worry, tomorrow is maintenance day, so we are going to up that one on all servers anyways!'

Thanks for giving us time to test the patch on the PTS! It's not like potentially you ****ed something up that you didn't notice while doing internal testing but could have been found while PTSing. :mad:

So, maybe it's the last confirmed as okay patch that is being uploaded as part of the maintenance?

'Today is maintenance day. Let's see which is the last good patch. Ah, XYZ. Right guys, let's load up XYZ while the servers are down!' - 'Errr, boss, we uploaded XYZ a week ago...' - 'Right... well, loading it up again will never hurt, won't it! And we need to do something 'patch-y' in the server downtime... so, make it so!'

Now, what if a hot fix needs to be implemented? Can we expect that either this will only happen as part of the server maintenance routine? Or will the servers also have to be taken down for 8 hours for that as well?

'Boss, boss! The guys really ****ed up with the last patch! Every character is now running round naked and singing '*** ba yah, my lord, *** ba yah' (if you are Empire) or 'Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare (if you are Republic)...' - 'Oh F...' - 'But don't worry boss, they got a hot fix, a quick 300 KB upload...' - 'Well, that will have to wait until the next server downtime which is...' - (robotic voice) '...in 127 hours 58 minutes 13 seconds 12 seconds 11 seconds 10 seconds' - 'Well guys, better tell your kids not to play SWTOR for a while unless you want them to see things they shouldn't... oh, and ear plugs are in that box over there.'

or

'Boss, boss! The guys really ****ed up with the last patch! All characters are now busty shemales that constantly offer sex-sex-sex!' - Oh F...' - 'But don't worry boss, they got a hot fix, a quick 300 KB upload...' - 'Right you men, battle stations! We are going to pull the servers in 10 9 8 7 6 (after giving the gamers a 5 second warning) 2 1 - SHUTDOWN! Number 2, will you do me the honor of uploading the patch?' - 'Yes Sir!' - 'The rest of you guys... well, nothing's going to happen in the next 7 hrs and 59 minutes, so that will carry the whole thing over into the next shift. Heck, I'll just leave a post-it note right here (where potentially somebody can see it) that the servers need to be started again in (now) 7 hrs and 58 minutes. And then we'll all go out for drinks and straight home afterwards. And yes, of course we are all still getting paid fulltime! Why not? It is well know to everybody that patch goes with 8 hrs of server downtime here at BW!'

Makes one dread the idea of them having to upload 2 hot fixes in a row with a server re-start to take the first one...

Right, frankly, it seems more and more like BW is doing something wrong... really wrong... if only I could put my finger on it... - Err, Sir, maybe the are just, you know, stupid? - Well, maybe... but let's consider other options!

BioWare's explanation is that at that time fewest people are online.

Wrong, they said they schedule the maintenance not at the peak time. This does not mean that they schedule the maintenance during lowest traffic.

Edited by muleDArule

Forgive me if I missed it, but in amongst the monster threads about this issue and the multitude of posts from rightfully disgruntled EU customers, has there been any official response regarding this issue?

Forgive me if I missed it, but in amongst the monster threads about this issue and the multitude of posts from rightfully disgruntled EU customers, has there been any official response regarding this issue?

nope, the only response i got was one warning + deleted post within this thread;

warning reasons: "trolling" ... no comment.

#edit

thank you @ above poster, i did not catch that response ...

feel so weak about that response .... lowest population, *** in that case maintenance will always EU daytime :mad::mad::mad:

they mention global service, but they mean local.

I would not be surprised if the same maintenance slot would come up if they only consider the NA server population and ignore the EU pop.

Edited by muleDArule

Completely true. That left quite a sour taste in my mouth.

Would hope kokatu and other gaming sites would open their eyes to this. And write something about it.

Either get seperate downtime cycles, or lower the sub fee for EU customers. I would rather have seperate downtime since money is not really a huge issue. But there is no way we should all bend over and take all the S*** EA/BW throws at us. Even if we are lowlife europeans afterall.