Stronghold transit time; Legacy Storage rocks.

BuriDogshin

On the PTS, dId a quick test of how long it would take to quick-travel to my Stronghold, get something (like gear, a stim, or an adrenal) from Legacy Storage, and go back to the exact point I was at before I traveled.

I treaveled from Manaan to Nar Shaddaa and back again.

Total time travel time: 35 seconds. Time to get something from my Legacy Storage (located near the entrance): 10-20 seconds.

Yeah, I'm going to love my Stronghold and Legacy Storage.

Edited by BuriDogshin

This is one strong plus with Strongholds IMO. Especially considering the amount and type of terminals you can add.

Yep. The travel options associated with Strongholds provide a reason why everyone will want at least the inexpensive one they can get on their homeworld. Also note that the Strongholds are located on planets without Priority Travel terminals. :)

Update: I timed the round-trip travel time to go from the Nar Shadaa Stronghold to my starship and back: under 30 seconds, including the time to select the trips. The available crew skill missions changed each time I moved.

Changing from one stronghold to another took about the same amount of time (15 seconds), and also changed the available crew missions.

Usually Load times are significantly longer in the live game because of increased populations. I wonder if this will affect housing load times.

Most of it seems to have to do with size/complexity of the map. Fleet with hundreds of characters loads way faster than Hoth or Alderaan that may not even have any players at a given time. Ships are the tiniest and load the fastest.

Edited by Pietrastor

traveling between ship and stronghold is fast as expected, because smaller instance = shorter loading screen.

however - traveling from planet to stronghold and back ... still sticks you with a planetary loading screen.

so... just grabbing stuff out of storage from my experiment didn't save any time over just mailing stims and whatever over. in fact. when i needed to send legacy gear over - it was faster to just mail it becasue I still had loading screens from switching between characters, but I didn't have an extra loading screen from going back to planet after traveling to stronghold to pick that legacy gear up.

/shrug.

however traveling between strongholds (or between stronghold and ship) with purpose of getting better crew skills missions is going to be useful for sure

Edited by Jeweledleah

however traveling between strongholds (or between stronghold and ship) with purpose of getting better crew skills missions is going to be useful for sure

It also provides a fast way to get to four planets that are not on the Priority Transport terminals.

It also provides a fast way to get to four planets that are not on the Priority Transport terminals.

well... I've been using legacy transport for Tat and DK/Coruscant, but this is actualy pretty damn good idea and without the associated cooldown - thanks :) I wasn't going to unlock Tat stronghold, but given this, I may actualy consider it after all. maybe. capitol worlds are so cheap, its definitely worth it.

well... I've been using legacy transport for Tat and DK/Coruscant, but this is actualy pretty damn good idea and without the associated cooldown - thanks :) I wasn't going to unlock Tat stronghold, but given this, I may actualy consider it after all. maybe. capitol worlds are so cheap, its definitely worth it.

And when you exit your Stronghold to the planet, it drops you right into the marketplace (right next to the giant gold Hutt on Nar Shadaa, for example). Pretty convenient.

Update: I timed the round-trip travel time to go from the Nar Shadaa Stronghold to my starship and back: under 30 seconds, including the time to select the trips. The available crew skill missions changed each time I moved.

Changing from one stronghold to another took about the same amount of time (15 seconds), and also changed the available crew missions.

OOH....this would be a big plus for crew missions IMO.

Probably.

Also probably not what the developers envisioned. But with the loading times this game has, and relief will probably be used just to elevate those.

Who knows... maybe one day the loading times will be addressed and improved greatly. *hopes* Especially considering the amount of memory modern computers CAN have.

Edited by chillshock

Probably.

Also probably not what the developers envisioned. But with the loading times this game has, and relief will probably be used just to elevate those.

Who knows... maybe one day the loading times will be addressed and improved greatly. *hopes* Especially considering the amount of memory modern computers CAN have.

On when on the dev streams they brought it up as a key point. "no long loading screen"

traveling between ship and stronghold is fast as expected, because smaller instance = shorter loading screen.

however - traveling from planet to stronghold and back ... still sticks you with a planetary loading screen.

so... just grabbing stuff out of storage from my experiment didn't save any time over just mailing stims and whatever over. in fact. when i needed to send legacy gear over - it was faster to just mail it becasue I still had loading screens from switching between characters, but I didn't have an extra loading screen from going back to planet after traveling to stronghold to pick that legacy gear up.

/shrug.

But didn't he just say he travelled from planet to stronghold and back?

I'm wondering if I should leave my Nar Shaddaa Palace locked and unfurnished for faster loading times. I mean, if I have 400 decorations in 9 rooms, it's sure to be loading slower, right?

I doubt it would add more than a second or two.

I travelled to someone elses stronghold on the PTS and his Nar Shaddaa stronghold was over 80% complete, meaning that he had decorations pretty much everywhere, and I didn't notice any longer loading time than for my empty one.

EDIT: It lagged slightly when I was IN the stronghold moving from room to room, so I think most of the stuff loads while you are there.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

• 2 months later...

Ok i recently returned to SWTOR. I have one question. How do i UNLOCK the Stronghold storage? I am 16% through building my stronghold. I have Galactic Kiosk, mail boxes, personal cargo bay... but.. how do i get the Legacy storage that ALL my toons can have access to? This will especially be helpful to dump all my crafting materials into them.

Please help?!

On the PTS, dId a quick test of how long it would take to quick-travel to my Stronghold, get something (like gear, a stim, or an adrenal) from Legacy Storage, and go back to the exact point I was at before I traveled.

I treaveled from Manaan to Nar Shaddaa and back again.

Total time travel time: 35 seconds. Time to get something from my Legacy Storage (located near the entrance): 10-20 seconds.

Yeah, I'm going to love my Stronghold and Legacy Storage.

Short version: bad game design.

• It stresses the servers and the network handling to load back and forth on the stronghold and then the planet.
  • It makes the player wait during loading times. Not everyone loads back and forth in 30s.
  • It eventually also impacts others players as your character body and gear look has to be sent to the players around you on the planet when you load back
  • It can hinder some players immersion (well they can opt out though, more on that later)
  • The only benefits is it makes players see their home.

Good game design, considering it's a sci-fi setting and you have companions.

1. You can browse your bank content remotely on your datapad
  2. Then you can browse any merchant store remotely
  3. You can also browse the GTN remotely
  4. You can FedEx purchase to your house (stronghold) for an extra fee
  5. Optionally have them robot(whatever fits your immersion) delivered to your location.
  6. Your companions can grab stuff from your house or ship cargo and get them back to you
  7. Your companions can get stuff from you and either sell them to vendors, drop them in the stronghold/ ship cargo bay or even put them on the GTN
  8. You can send and receive emails remotely

Now that would feel more sci-fi and be less tedious both for the player and the servers and actually make companions even more useful

Edited by Deewe

Ok i recently returned to SWTOR. I have one question. How do i UNLOCK the Stronghold storage? I am 16% through building my stronghold. I have Galactic Kiosk, mail boxes, personal cargo bay... but.. how do i get the Legacy storage that ALL my toons can have access to? This will especially be helpful to dump all my crafting materials into them.

Please help?!

There are utility decorations for Legacy storage access, Ships' locker access, mailbox and so on. Get the quest from the hologram in front of the stronghold vendors on the fleet, do it for every toon. The quest is just to go to your stronghold and take a few steps. Each of your toons will get the above utility decos for free at end of quest. Then "eat" the utility decos, and then place them wherever you like.

Short version: bad game design.

[bunch of conceited complaining, from someone who probably has never designed or coded an MMO]

Whatever. I love it. Feel free to not use it, you think it's so bad.

All your tears cannot dilute the sweetness of my Strongholds and Legacy Storage.

There are utility decorations for Legacy storage access, Ships' locker access, mailbox and so on. Get the quest from the hologram in front of the stronghold vendors on the fleet, do it for every toon. The quest is just to go to your stronghold and take a few steps. Each of your toons will get the above utility decos for free at end of quest. Then "eat" the utility decos, and then place them wherever you like.

Sweet, thanks for the thumbs up. Much appreciated.