FPS Drop and Red FPS Meter

Cripop

Hey everyone,

I have recently been experiencing fps drops/spikes. I can not wrap my finger around it. I have usually had no

problems and seem to do fine with other games. I am running a Radeon HD 6870. 1 gig ddr3 I believe.

I usually run 35-70 fps no problem. Recently been having it drop down to 5 fps for about 5 seconds and it really

hinders my gameplay. The Meter is also red, not exactly sure if that helps at all. Any ideas why this could be starting up now?

-Thanks

Cripop

Oh and I run games like Rift on high with not a problem or lag spike.

Company of Heros 2 on high with no problem.

Battlefield 3 no problem. But this game recently has been giving me a huge problem. (Also had trouble with WIldstar

beta but that was beta and eh I don't even care about that game haha just giving info. thanks again!)

i hear that the color is GPU vs. CPU load.

if RED, you're CPU is in charge, if GREEN, your GPU is in charge.

in other words, the color alludes to which piece of hardware is the slowest, or the one that's limiting the FPS.

Note that a "CPU" problem can actually be a problem with your hard drive or RAM: it is an indication that your CPU cannot get the data it needs fast enough off of the hard drive or RAM.

If you only have 1 GB of RAM, that is the problem. The minimum requirements of SWTOR is 2 GB. http://www.swtor.com/gamemanual/getting-started/entering-the-old-republic

Okay but I am running an Intel I7 quad core. I said I have 1 gig ram on the vid card. My comptuer has 8 gigs of ram

actually. Like I said I used to never get the hang up but now I do. I don't get the hang up in other games. So I was

wondering why since patch 2.8 I have been getting this stupid drop. My Computer is def above the "min requirements"

Okay but I am running an Intel I7 quad core. I said I have 1 gig ram on the vid card. My comptuer has 8 gigs of ram

actually. Like I said I used to never get the hang up but now I do. I don't get the hang up in other games. So I was

wondering why since patch 2.8 I have been getting this stupid drop. My Computer is def above the "min requirements"

Is anything running in the background? Visit any suspicious sites lately? I've had bootkits and rootkits installed that won't register as using cpu or ram via any utility in an OS. They can even run without an OS booting up, the system just has to clear BIOS POST. I had one that was running some kind of audio blog even without windows running.

As those above said, red means it's a cpu related bottleneck. If the FPS indicator was green that would be the graphics card, if it's yellow it's both cpu and gpu.

anti-virus running? any new windows updates? are you are you doing the same thing you did before (i.e was previously leveling on quesh last week, this week i'm running gree event)?

double check nothing "new" is running (malware/spyware) how old is the HD?

I suggest you defrag your hard drive, if you do not have an SSD. Or upgrade to an SSD.

Also, there have been a lot of network problems recently between my ISP (Cox cable) and certain West Coast servers, including SWTOR. Might be part of the problem.

No that is the thing, I am not doing anything different and have not been to any "bad" sites or anything like that. Okay

people are saying it is the CPU bottle necking. Why would it be doing it now? I also have a CPU way ahead of the min

require so I just don't understand why it would be that all of a sudden. You think there might be hidden stuff running

on the cpu? If so what is the best way to find that?

From this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4741512 (second dev post - first dev post is backwards)

So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card

Green = Simulation bound/CPU

Yellow = Mix of both

Current FPS (Lowest FPS over the last 10 seconds or so)

Red just means the video card is the bottleneck, not necessarily that it is a problem. If you are getting low frame rates now, check some of the shadow settings that changed 2 patches ago I think it was. Or try different areas like on your ship.

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card

My FPS iss "flickering" RED all the time in warzones and on some planets (especially Alderaan Forest). I am using a "Radeon 7970 GHZ Edition" video card...and you are telling me that this card is the bottleneck? Really?

This game failed because of this crappy hero engine they used...and nothing else. This game is just fantastic in every aspect, but this crap engine iss just unpredictable. You can buy a computer worth 2000$ and still get lower fps compared to someone who is using an older or much cheaper computer.

There is no game out there atm which my computer cant handle in full or utlra settings. But still SWTOR manages to drop my FPS below 20 in warzones or when i approach "fighting" players in open world environment. It has something to do with loading assets, i guess!?

I dont know why they cant switch to a new hero engine or work on improving the current one...look at ESO for example...it is using an improved version of the hero engine. It looks fantastic and even mass pvp runs smooth (im talking about constant 50+ FPS here with 50+ ppl on screen). But ESO sucks in every other aspect, so im back playing SWTOR...

I have literally done everything I can think of.

Running I7 Quad core

8 gigs of ram

Radeon 6870 1 gig ddr5

It is def the game and not my setup. Not much more I can do. When I can run RIFT in max settings with pvp and not get drops but this game I do. I am getting fed up with this optimization BioWare. I am a Pre Order vet and fps has gotten worse over time.