Future Strongholds I'd Love To See (with ideas for each one) - what do you think?

GhostNappa

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestions:

Alderaan: Nerf farm, upgradeable to a full manor with outlying farms.

Voss: Witch's hut, build up to a full sorceror's tower.

Tython: Small farm - the farm thing is because, in keeping with the lore, people who fail Jedi training are supposed to be sent to work on farms. But we never see any! I want a farm. I will raise orobirds and nerfs.

Korriban: Archaeologist outpost. Korriban is supposed to be where people have digs and trade knowledge.

My wish-list in order:

Alderaan Villa - Scenic, pastoral outdoor areas and a palatial building based off of the buildings of the noble houses in-game, especially House Organa's main building, with lots of balconies and overlooks.

Voss Shrine - Large structure based on the Shrine of Healing with a view of the Voss landscape, with some of the rooms resembling the buildings in Voss-Ka.

Korriban Sith Necropolis - Modeled after the Sith Lord tombs on Korriban, unlocks take you deeper and deeper underground in cavernous, foreboding rooms.

Tython Jedi Sanctuary - Similar to the Tython Jedi Temple on the outside, maybe with towers similar to the Coruscant temple, with surrounding grounds suited to being made into gardens and training areas.

Makeb Mesa - A smaller version of the mesas seen around Makeb. A main structure is an estate like those seen around Makeb, but the entire mesa can be decorated. Includes an assortment of gazebos and small outbuildings.

Taris Restoration - A restored main structure that takes its appearance from Taris as it was in KotOR, with large areas outside as well that are still overgrown ruins as seen on Taris in TOR.

Belsavis Rakata Excavation - Main structure based on the Rakata ruins seen in Belsavis, Section X, and Eternity Vault, set right on the border between an icy part and a lava part of Belsavis.

Ilum Crystal Canyon - A structure with Jedi architecture built directly into the walls of a canyon. Interior rooms should be a mix of natural cave formations and Jedi temple rooms. A primarily vertical stronghold looking down from rooms and balconies cut into the canyon walls.

Corellia Estate - a large "U" shaped building, a couple stories taller in the cross-wise section, with a courtyard inside similar to the parks seen around Corellia.

Hoth Bunker - Basically just like the main bases in the game on Hoth with a few satellite bunkers/buildings outside and some large outdoor areas similar to Tatooine, but with snow fields instead of desert.

Ord Mantell Command Center - Split fairly evenly between indoor and outdoor areas, includes a lot of militant, spartan rooms inside the command center but also some open areas outside for parade fields and deployment areas.

Nal Hutta Headquarters - A straightforward Hutt palace taking inspiration from the ones seen on Hutta, Quesh, and Karagga's Palace as well as RotJ. A proper dungeon is a must.

Balmorra Manufactory - Massive industrial-themed building with huge open rooms (factory floors), lots of walkways/catwalks, and vehicle bays.

Orbital Space Station - A smaller version of the space stations seen on the fleet and in False Emperor FP, based on those maps and smaller space station/asteroid installations from some of the various class quests.

Oricon Watchtower - Based off of the Watchtower, Dread Fortress and Dread Palace architecture.

Quesh Venom Plant - Based heavily off of the industrial plants seen on Quesh, with a strip-mine outdoor area that is dug deep into the ground.

CZ-198 Corporate Annex - A mixture of labs and office building rooms, probably with many different floors although not a ton of floorspace on each level.

In my opinion GSHs should in fact be a way to touch base with other planets from Star Wars lore. I do enjoy the planets in game but if SHs are instanced than the possibilities are huge to draw people in.. BW can resurface really neat places from older lucas arts games or lore books and such if anyone knows what I mean. If they can take outfits directly from the books then what's stopping them from making an ancient Sith Fortress on Ziost or a cloud mansion on a Bespin type planet, maybe a Kashyyyk canopy lounge, an Onderon royal suite, Dantooine deluxe estate, A jedi meditation temple on Rhen Var, or a favorite of mine: crimelord's suite overlooking a podrace track on Malastare.

Think of a CZ size area just for the SH but spectacular views of places the devs probably won't be making a full planet due to full scale relevance to every class or sheer complexity. Honestly I've seen all the planets in game enough and tbh a New flashy house on a planet I'm already sick of will just make me more tired of it, but I'm sure even people uninterested in housing would be considering the Ziost castle ..just my 2 cents on the topic

This idea is pretty neat.

There are alot places that are desolate or small and dont need entire storylines (ATM) and could open up some cool places like Dxun or heck even mustafar (that place was around during this time)

They should go with those that have the most unique potential first. So easily:

Alderaan - castle themed stronghold

Manaan - (under)water themed stronghold

Hoth/Ilum - basically igloo

Belsavis - prison cell

etc etc

what no legion of faceless goons all wareing the same sized outfit as your nemisis im disapointed.

quoted the wrong guy. sorry

Edited by Jrr_hypernova

Taris (Tarisian Abandoned Apartment) is a great idea!

I was always for something on Voss or Tython, never thought of Taris, but your idea is cool. Could be some good/weird hermit shelter on rep side, and sort of vampire crypt on the imp side

I just had a crazy idea, so bare with me! BioWare should add another ring to the fleets, which can be reached with all the main elevators from the main ring. Those rings (one for republic and one for imperials) would be the habita rings, which have maybe only a dozen flats each, they are small and not thus not much space to decorate, but they would be attached to the fleet chat, since they're on the fleet. But now the real kicker, they would be unique, only the first person who graps one gets it, and it would show the outside through the windows from that perspective. Those houses should require a rant, so that they become available after some time if a player stops playing. So, am I crazy or are there people who would like that idea?

I just had a crazy idea, so bare with me! BioWare should add another ring to the fleets, which can be reached with all the main elevators from the main ring. Those rings (one for republic and one for imperials) would be the habita rings, which have maybe only a dozen flats each, they are small and not thus not much space to decorate, but they would be attached to the fleet chat, since they're on the fleet. But now the real kicker, they would be unique, only the first person who graps one gets it, and it would show the outside through the windows from that perspective. Those houses should require a rant, so that they become available after some time if a player stops playing. So, am I crazy or are there people who would like that idea?

That would be a little unfair

Imagine a light saber duel with a friend inside the geodesic crystal dome of the Viewing Deck of your Fleet Stronghold, with the stars above and the fleet all around you ...

I'd love a screenshot of that as a wallpaper. Nothing could be more Star Wars IMO.

Edited by BuriDogshin

Updated once more!

I like the idea of an extra ring, but I think it should be just like the other Strongholds and be instanced and available to everyone. Imagine the outcry from the community if limited player housing like your suggestion emerged. If they released these houses during the day, people who only get off at night would be awfully upset. And if they released it at night, people who work night shifts would be outraged. And that's not even counting the people who'd be angry because they live in a disadvantageous time zone. But I really do like the ring idea, and the fact that it would overlook the rest of the station!

Imagine a light saber duel with a friend inside the geodesic crystal dome of the Viewing Deck of your Fleet Stronghold, with the stars above and the fleet all around you ...

I'd love a screenshot of that as a wallpaper. Nothing could be more Star Wars IMO.

That actually sounds really, really cool. Or even just meditating under the stars with the fleet around you... like how the Emperor's chair faced the stars in Episode VI. So cool.

3. Makeb (Makeb Mesa Castle): Having your own mesa (preferably with a Makeb-style castle or something similar) would be incredible. Makeb's visuals are mindblowingly gorgeous, and so being able to explore and decorate plazas and courtyards would be a phenomenal joy.

Makeb would also be a fantastic location for a sky fortress levitated by repulsorlifts. It would be flying at a level that is even higher than the mesa spires so you can look down at the landscape and greenary from your stronghold. Something like this but several times larger (and of course in the air instead of ocean). The partially glass covered bottom floor is especially a nice touch and a must.

7. Hoth (Hoth Hidden Home): At first, I was really against having a home on Hoth, as I was like "why would anyone wanna live on that barren wasteland? I mean, in the EU, every single person that had been on Hoth hated the experience." But then I was like, "what if there was a Stronghold on Hoth that was similar to Tatooine in scope, and allowed for frozen courtyards to connect to warm, welcoming, and homey underground chambers?" Which is what I would love to see here.

For Hoth, I would choose to have a stronghold that is built into the side of a massive glacial cliff with the top floor having an unobstructed view of the flat frozen tundra that stretches all the way to the horizon. Something like this but not as huge in scope.

2. Alderaan (Alderaanian Ranch): I'll make no effort to hide the fact that Alderaan is my favorite planet in SWTOR. It features everything from lush green to sweeping valleys to sculpted hills to snow-capped peaks. Having a Stronghold here (preferably in a Ranch style) would be amazingly gorgeous, and if it were on the Tatooine Stronghold's level of scale, it would be ridiculously cool.

Given the pristine, unindustrialized environment and abundance of liquid oceans on Alderaan, I actually think that a fully submerged underwater stronghold would be quite suitable. Something like this but with even more glass walls and ceilings to provide clear view of the large reef teeming with maritime creatures.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

Quick slap on Bioware's wrist: DO NOT COPY THE LAYOUT OF ANY CURRENT STRONGHOLDS FOR FUTURE STRONGHOLDS. While I can understand possible logic for why you duplicated the Coruscant and Dromund Kaas Strongholds, I still sharply disapprove of it. And if you were to get lazy and duplicate current Strongholds into future ones, that would potentially tank any future Strongholds you'd release.

Having played MMOs for a long time, and knowing how players get with "The devs love the other side better!" I'm more than ok with the Capital world strongholds basically having the same room layout. I think the styling and environment makes them feel different enough. All that said, I agree that we want to avoid having things feel too similar, and I think they are already pushing it with the way the balconies and stairways are laid out. I would have rather seen Nar Shaddaa have a single wider grand stair then again used the two half stairs on either side.

Updated once more!

Having played MMOs for a long time, and knowing how players get with "The devs love the other side better!" I'm more than ok with the Capital world strongholds basically having the same room layout. I think the styling and environment makes them feel different enough. All that said, I agree that we want to avoid having things feel too similar, and I think they are already pushing it with the way the balconies and stairways are laid out. I would have rather seen Nar Shaddaa have a single wider grand stair then again used the two half stairs on either side.

Yeah, I can understand that. Doesn't mean I agree with them, but I understand it. Still, I think it was partially that and mostly laziness. In the future, such a move should not be done again. I don't want another Tatooine Stronghold, only with snow instead of sand.

• 3 weeks later...

TYTHON

Secluded temple with natural accents (sunlight through rock openings overhead, roots, puddles under foot, a natural spring or sunny occulus over the main chamber, etc.

HOTH

Beneath the ice and snow, completely, but with thin ice walls here 'n there for scenic views of the frozen landscape from a cliff-like vantage point. Maybe have frozen creatures or pieces of wreckage available as décor later on.

NAL HUTTA

Bounty Hunter-themed residence; add more & more BH-related décor (animal heads, different weapon displays, etc); wall mounted bounty monitor showing random target with 'wanted' or reward $, etc. View of desolate, toxic landscape.

• 1 month later...

Given the unique aspect of this mmorpg I would like to see class specific strongholds. I think that would add a unique element to the game.

For a Sith Inquisitor for example, it could be a converted tomb on the planet Korriban in line with their role at the end of their storyline. A stronghold in the seat of sith power.

For the Smuggler maybe a hidden base on Hoth

For the Agent, again a hidden high tech location maybe on a Republic World.

For the trooper maybe quarters aboard a warship

For the Hunter, maybe an abandoned warship hall in orbit of Nar Shadda or Hutta. Would be cool to have a Hutt palace complete with Rancor pitt (seriously if you had a button and could have your friends visit and hit it while standing on the trap door, how cool would that be :) )

For the Warrior, a astroid base in Imperial space, or an secret retreat belonging to the Emporer given for his use

For the Jedi Consular maybe a simple home in a lush green location like Alderaan.

I feel each of the classes offeres something fun and unique in their storyline which would make for a fun stronghold.

If not these some general selections:

Alderaan: A mountain castle/estate with lots of balconies. Not the best maybe for an Imperial Character but an emphasis should be palced on showing off the stunning scenery.

Manaan: An underwater home, with large transparent domes to show off the surroundings. Similar to the manaan underwater portion of the Knights of the Old republic.

Oricon would be perfect for a dark fortress, possibly taken during the conflict with the Dread Lords. It would be to Imperial Characters what Alderaan would be to Republic characters. Its dark, firy look would make for some very dark fortresses.

The fleet: quarters aboard one of the warships. All the classes end up in relatively high ranking and important roles. A reward to your charcter in end game. Even quarters aboard the space station would make sense.

Yavin 4 - Seriously a renovated temple on Yavin 4, would be a LOT of fun. Slowly unlocking as you move up.

Edited by DarthReveng

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as they like to have the capital planet apartments as "starter"ish houses I suggest they offer another four types being the starter worlds ..if this game has years ahead of it then why rush to lvl 40 - 55+ houses, I personally would be ecstatic about starter world SH's. Examples:

Empire:

Korriban Valley overlook

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/File:SS_Sith_Ship01_full.jpg

• similar layout to DK apartment except walls are of tombish design

• sith hieroglyph room covered in carved texts from floor to ceiling

• church style high ceiling for main hall

Hutta Jigunna bastion (behind & above poison pit cantina)

• WWII style bunker windows

• centerpiece hook/hooks for things like turrets

• area of SH to create a "VIP" area of poison pit cantina

• exit SH to Hutta would spawn you in poison pit cantina

• private docking bay for a ship hook

Republic:

Ord mantell volcano hideout

• Mostly an instanced version of that area with enemies vacated.

• Docking bay would work with a starship hook inside (only some ships could fit)

Tython - Rear of jedi academy

• landing pad

• balconies

• elaborate private study hall

I find much of the OP listings interesting. Perhaps even merit to a degree. As long as each of these worked within the structure of the game setting. I'm sure that there a lot of folks who have their own "wish list".

I would like to add to that list an apartment of sorts much like that in a floating city on the outer rim... away from a lot of traffic.

IMHO this would be an ideal setting for a Jedi, smuggler or even a sith ... (located in a different part of the outer rim of course). This should even compliment the various story lines as well.

I originally preferred Hoth ... but got to thinking about it .. If I had to chose it would be the outer rim with an apartment similar to that of Coruscant (even if it were slightly smaller). It should also have a landing pad as well.

Those ideas are really nice but all comes with a flaw:

For most players, once they'll have invested in a stronghold, and make it their home, they won't delve that much into other ones but maybe for the conquest bonus. So the system and the cartel market sales will stall at some point.

• Solution: add more rooms to existing strongholds.

Players will open them and furnish them for sure.

Edited by Deewe

I hadn't been to Voss but once (lazy with class stuff) tho have 3 55s. I went to random up the bounty thing and just happened to do it on a toon who has to go to Voss for class, so I did some. I kinda like the look. Nice fall time scenery. I wouldn't mind a peaceful little cottage out there... as long as those Harry cristna mystics stay away from the front porch.

If BW were to release four starter world SH's or any other arrangement i don't think a "collect-em-all" approach would be adequate. As I posted earlier about korriban, Hutta, Tython, & Ord mantell, my theory was to have the diversity of whatever one may persue. For instance If a player has a tight bond to all things sith then there's an intriguing opportunity, as a zeroing in on what u like the most and to make that your go-to place.

What I dread as far as decorating goes is making a place look like something it shouldn't ex: seeing a Dromund Kaas SH with republic banners across from empire ones and alderaan house flags thrown about and so on.. So if they were to release another SH by itself people would have to settle for a place that is dumbed down to be pseudo acceptable to all decorations like Tatooine and NS palace.