Desktop system recommendations or warnings? (mid 2014 edition)

txbrumley

My ASUS RoG rig is showing its age and I'm starting to look at replacements. I don't need mobility and am considering a desktop system. I am capable of building my own but am too lazy :) Does anyone have any good or bad experiences to report with current vendors and systems? Some of the digital storm systems look very nice. I might go for another ASUS laptop if I don't see a big benefit from a desktop. TIA.

Very few laptops have the graphics capability of even a halfway decent desktop system. This was brought home to me when my desktop died and I had to start using my laptop. The laptop was newer, had more processing power and a graphics card that looked like it should have been at least equal to the one in the 4 year old desktop I was using, but it didn't even come close. Go with a desktop and put money into the best graphics card you can. You'll be glad you did, especially if you do 16 man ops. Edited by errant_knight

Very few laptops have the graphics capability of even a halfway decent desktop system. This was brought home to me when my desktop died and I had to start using my laptop.

Yeah this is one reason I'm willing to be less mobile. The RoG rigs tend to have mid range NVIDEA cards (x60M) and they are good but not great. I'm also wondering how much a SSD will improve zone times.

I'm also wondering how much a SSD will improve zone times.

Entering Op/FP instances is noticeably (several seconds) faster with an SSD. Rotating between toons also seems faster. And good SSDs (like Samsung 840 EVO 250GB) are around $0.55 per gigabyte.

There are laptops for gaming like alienware but they cost a lot of money.

The desktop computer allows you to put things together the way you want and upgrade so your desktop can last longer and have a more solid gaming experience.

You want a good CPU so an i5 or preferably an i7 and at least 8 GB RAM are a given for a gaming computer. SSD helps a lot and then there's the graphics card. Now you don't have to get a really expensive one but you want a decent one just the same. I won't cal myself an expert but some friends of mine who are really into computers did always warn me to watch something called memory interface width. This is a small detail in the specs that makes a difference. I always buy a graphics card that has it at 256 bit. Cheap cards generally have 128 bit which is enough for normal use but not ideal for gaming or heavy graphics programs. Currently I have the NVIDIA GTX760 for example. It's not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive by far either. As I said, I'm not the expert but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain the details. All I know is that this advice has served me well.