A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

Ha-ha, dibs on Clueless as a Guild name :)

OMG, I am so excited I can't even load the game, I just read the fora and speculate. I have a day off tomorrow, so will be able to do something hopefully!

Dunno, will go quickly run something... anything on my Operative. Start Taris, pug a zone... ANYTHING! or I am going to explode!

EDIT: Queue took forever to pop, but I pugged a great Huttball, where I scored on my lowbie Operative - hey it's his first! I am actually afraid of getting the roll, because with the great power comes the great responsibility in Huttball, and I can just see myself rolling right off the rafters. Or into the Acid.

Then I had the weirdest Makeb Arena ever. I pugged into 3 vs 4, me on my L36 healer, and 2 DPS, a Marauder and a L33 Sorcerer. The only player on the other side I could see pre-match was L59 Sin, and their heals was a merc. I sighed, and decided we are toast, but I can't leave my people to die in 2 vs 4, so I went in expecting to be squashed like a bug by a Sin. I dunno who on earth my DPS were, and if that Mara was L50+, but we were 3 vs 3 when I barely popped out of stealth behind my team to renew my beep-beep-beeps.

And nobody touched me like... ever. I was so shocked I ran out of energy the second round, and caught myself between the columns, because I expected a merc to toss me of the bridge (always expect the worse!). By then we had the 4th DPS though, so despite me literally tripping over my feet it was a clean win. Morale: not deserting your team is a good strats.

Edited by DomiSotto

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always surprising when, as a healer or dps caster such as a merc/mando, sniper/slinger, sorc/sage, the other team just lets you sit back and do your thing. :eek:

I always thought it would be funny to have a guild name of <Your Companion>, but I'm guessing that one is not allowed. Some of my other bright ideas:

<Underpowered>, <Failure IS an option>, <Jaws of Victory>, <Low Key>, <So Confused>, <Hopeless>, <Hapless>, <ex-spurt>

I ran three zones with my scoundrel last night. Those poor, poor imps. They had no chance. Out of the three matches, I died a total of zero times. I'd like to think that it's at least in part due to me getting better at escaping a bad situation, but we did have some good heals.

First match was a novare coast. I took west and guarded for a little bit. There was a bit of a stalemate at south, so I decided to take the initiative and go after the poor merc solo guarding east. I didn't get the feeling that they were going to come after our node. East was taken without too much difficulty (poor merc), and we held east and west for a bit. We eventually took south and gave up east. I returned to guard west (using my awesome roll to get away from a group of imps without dying yesssss!).

The second match was an arena. Imps had 2 heals, a tank, and an operative dps. We had 3 dps and a tank. It took a little bit to break their heals, but since they had so little damage, they weren't killing us either. Eventually we wore them down. They probably ran out of force/energy and/or we did a good enough job with our CC and managed to take out one of their heals, at which point it was all over. The second round was pretty much the same.

The third match was a CW. I guarded grass the entire time with minimal activity. We triple capped the entire match, which ended early due to imps leaving. :(

I later went over to my operative to try and help out imp side, but it wasn't popping. :( Can't say I blame them.

I like "Jaws of Victory". As in, "We can pull defeat out of..." I assume? :p

I worked on my own scoundrel today (I have an oper too, and I still vote that the knife sounds are WAY cooler). I really have to learn how to stay in range. I'm playing with what to open with. Sometimes the 4-sec stun, sometimes the root (shank shot?), sometimes the bleed. I'm never sure. If I open with the stun, then follow with the bleed then they seem to get away, and I feel like I"m running around after them JUST out of range of being able to do anything. Or I open with the bleed, try to stun and they stun me first because EVERYONE in this game is faster than me (yes, I know about the global cooldown, but somehow they still are :D).

But may I say, I think on behalf of all operatives and scoundrels everywhere, when we are about to finish off the enemy and need just a sucker-punch to do it... for goodness sake do NOT LEAP TO THEM AND THEN PUSH THEM 30 FEET AWAY FROM US!!!!! Not that that happened to me or anything. :D

Today's matches were mostly us getting steamrolled though. Until we managed to get a more evenly matched VS, where we won by getting the data core, and they only got to the 2nd door. And, as we all know, after not a peep for the entire 6 steamrolled matches, as soon as the VS ended I got a guild invite. :D

I been trying to pvp more now, something else to do instead of just full class missions so I been doing the dailies and weekly pvp missions. It's been pretty good, Imperial PVP is very fun, Republic just gets owned on my server. I think yesterday was one of the closest matches I played ever, game was on voidstar and neither team got through the first door.

Also the decorations are another reason, getting more for upcoming Yavin stronghold been putting all my comms into that since it's such a low cap anyways and I see nothing better to spend it on

Edited by Newyankalt

I been trying to pvp more now, something else to do instead of just full class missions so I been doing the dailies and weekly pvp missions. It's been pretty good, Imperial PVP is very fun, Republic just gets owned on my server. I think yesterday was one of the closest matches I played ever, game was on voidstar and neither team got through the first door.

Also the decorations are another reason, getting more for upcoming Yavin stronghold been putting all my comms into that since it's such a low cap anyways and I see nothing better to spend it on

Some people might say to spend those comms (assume you mean the WZ comms?) on WZ med packs and adrenals, and then after level 40 start converting to ranked comms. But, actually, unless you are planning on hard-core PvPing at end game, grinding out ranked gear and all that.... then, pft, spend them on whatever you want I say. After 3.3 hits you should be getting even more of them per match, but the cap also goes up, so that's nothing but good. :)

Some people might say to spend those comms (assume you mean the WZ comms?) on WZ med packs and adrenals, and then after level 40 start converting to ranked comms. But, actually, unless you are planning on hard-core PvPing at end game, grinding out ranked gear and all that.... then, pft, spend them on whatever you want I say. After 3.3 hits you should be getting even more of them per match, but the cap also goes up, so that's nothing but good. :)

I don't really PVP at 60 or even beyond 55, but I do it daily while levelling now weather it be 12x or not. I'm more of a PVE player so the PVP gear doesn't interest me, the ones back at launch did cause they actually looked pretty decent and where not terrible in PVE either.

Looking forward to increased cap though.

I don't really PVP at 60 or even beyond 55, but I do it daily while levelling now weather it be 12x or not. I'm more of a PVE player so the PVP gear doesn't interest me, the ones back at launch did cause they actually looked pretty decent and where not terrible in PVE either.

Looking forward to increased cap though.

LoL. You should post a new thread on this forum about how you tried PvP and just didn't find SO compelling that it eclipsed all other aspects of the game, and so you only do it casually. I just want to see the responses you'd get. :D

And I think most PvP gear doesn't interest PvPer's either. We all wear mod-able PvE shells and spend the credits to rip out the original mods and put in the PvP ones. :p

Well I got in on some midbie and some 60's today. I started with my scoundrel because someone had practically dared me to group up just as I was leaving last night, so we met up today.

Although, she started out on the imp side, and I was playing a huttball against her first, without knowing it. One of the closest huttballs I've been in. A 2v2 tie at the end, with lots of close calls on both sides. We got a score with I think less than a minute left to tie it up, and I think we even got the ball. But then they got a turn over. We were chasing down their ball carrier, who was just barely keeping ahead of our DPS with los'ing and heals. We ran out of time though, so a loss. :(

Then she switched sides and we grouped up with one other for a premade of 3. And got clobbered by a better premade in a VS. We were getting "kinda farmed", but I managed a distracto-plant with about 40 seconds left. But we didn't even get the bridges down I don't think. They planted in the first couple minutes by just wiping us all. :(

Then she switched back to her dirty imp! What a traitor. We had an arena next with her on the other side. They kicked our butts, but it's always fun fighting people when you (sort of, at least) know who they are. :D

And wrapped up midbies with what was shaping up to be a big loss on an AHG. In the 2nd round I had one good opportunity to ninja-cap their pylon. It was being guarded by a jugg, who was standing right next to the pylon. I mezzed and started capping, and he broke the mezz. Then JUST as I was throwing flash-bang, here comes zooming in a team mate to help... by attacking the jugg, of course. :( But then we got to the last round, and one of our guys managed to cap their pylon out from under them right at the start. And we defended for the whole round for the double-cap win!

After that I decided it was a good note to end on, so I switched to Flint, and ran a 60's NC. I went off node to solo guard. Well, actually duo guard, since one person came with me. We capped quick, and it turned out the enemy didn't send anyone east at all. So the other guy went east, and took it. We held east and west until they were at about 50%. At that point they took east back, and then we had some more turret changes, but we pretty much had a healthy lead the whole time. Although the fighting was pretty messy! I had a lot of help from a healer who I kept a guard on as much as possible. I got a whisper of thanks afterwards, and a comment that I guarded better then the tank they queued up with. So that was nice to hear. :D

Ah, sounds fun! I had some RL stuff, so no gaming today. Well, maybe a few minutes of levelling.

Welcome, Newyalkalt! Actually, not a bad idea with decorations. I don’t really do anything for the Stronghold, but I am only Valor 21, and comms are maxing out. The last thing I want is to buy is weapons, because doing IA on a 2 hrs timer with the story it has is going to be a PAIN. I am buying medpacks, since they do go fast. I might also buy chips in Nar-Shadda to gamble.

Ha, Teclado’s on the roll! Those are some awesome names! J Jaws of Victory! I love the “Failure is an Option”. I can only contribute The Facelol, L2P and Not the Grass!

Are we all in some sort of a collective Scoundrel-Operative phase, guys? AI took Runt to Level 39. The IA story unfortunately does not favor quick levelling, and I also did a bit of Kalyio’s very special content that is a time sink.

Managed a few zones, and even though we were just routed on one of them, I really loved playing the AC, but need to get better at tabing while moving with my beep-beep-beeps.

Sorc went for a raid yesterday night to pay his dues to UL and other assorted stuff, so no L60 PvP. OMG, I was so sleepy, since that went till like 11 pm my time... and I had to get into 4 hour long training session on the introduction to Continuous Improvement. With only 2 espresso in me.

Sensei popped by yesterday, since he is not interested in playing SWTOR, and we just chit-chatted a little. He is such a wide-range gamer, just amazing, totally beyond my experience of: "I play both types of games, BioWARE AND Obsidian". In the end, I finally thought: “Why not? And bought Mass Effect Trilogy. Wow, the game is great at least content wise. The controls are a nightmare. I did not make it past the opening map, leaving it till the weekend when I can go and figure stuff out, read up a little, etc. But, boy, the character is AWESOME!

Yeah, I was thinking "Jaws of Victory" as in "pulling defeat from the jaws of victory," which is the opposite of the cliché phrase "pull victory from the jaws of defeat." It's subtle and looks like an optimistic name at first glance, but then when you understand the subtlety, it takes on the opposite meaning. :p Could tweak it to "Jawas of Victory" to get more of a SW theme...hmm. Now somebody is gonna take it lol. Wouldn't bother me too much actually, I'd be kind of proud if anything. :D

Yes, I am totally in a scoundrel-operative phase right now. I don't really care for scrapper-concealment for leveling (bad AOE, so you have to run around punching every single thing - which is kind of fun, just not nearly as quick and easy as sage AOE), but for pvp it is quite fun.

I haven't really been playing much at all the past few days, been busy with RL stuff (playing soccer and taking care of a friend's dog while he is away - just not soccer with the dog, he'd probably eat the ball no joke :eek:).

And I think most PvP gear doesn't interest PvPer's either. We all wear mod-able PvE shells and spend the credits to rip out the original mods and put in the PvP ones. :p

Indeed : Characters wearing *original* PvP shells are an absolute rarity ! :D

If you want to become known, then just use original stock shells ! :D

Heh, it's sooo late.... raiding is HARD. I managed to play 3 zones on my Operative in the midbies, by some reason, win or lose coming out with 2 MVPs every time. People must like my character concept, because I was not so much healing, as depring around with stealth and sleeping darts and positioning....

2 Voidstars (win and loss) and a very, very, very sad AHG that seemed to have every over-ambitious SIn in the midbies. Not only I had to guard on one round in proud solitude and disable from all things another operative, someone took the pylon and left it, while like 4 or so SIns went trying to take their offnode. In the Voidstars, folks categorically refused to fight on the doors.... I guess it was not my day....

Edited by DomiSotto

Had a couple of huttball(original) that were intense, one of them really stood out. We cancelled out each other and there were no goals scored in about 4 or 5 minutes in to game, a rare occasion when all participants know their role, their place on the map for maximum outcome, turned into a tie 2 - 2, holder win and i wasn't us, interesting stats afterwards; whole lot of damage done and a major deal of healing as well, as the protection numbers were respectable for most of the tanks too. The deaths were few so I guess we only killed the ball carriers, there were one moment when we had about 6 - 8 passes in our team just to gain ground through the other teams defense and guess what, we weren't on TS, we weren't a premade, but there were alot of familiar toons on each side of the huttball!!

Ban premades! :D

Ok, really I've contended for a long time that people are too fast with the big P word. You really can get pugs where everyone is there to play the game as advertised, and there are enough people that know how to support each other that, OMG, you play like a TEAM!

But too often it seems like I get the other side. Like an AHG I had yesterday. The other team was up about 400 to 250. The messages in chat were starting to come. "Just let them double cap." But I was on my way to their pylon to try a ninja cap. The previous round they pulled back a 2nd guard at about 30 seconds, so I figured the only chance I had was to do it earlier than that, even though it's not ideal. And I get lucky and take it with about a minute left. And my team defends and now we are up about 450 to 300! And I'm thinking to myself, "yeah, we could give them a double cap, or we could keep trying and actually have a shot at winning!"

But, alas, we were not a pre made. So at the start of the next round, instead of heading to the pylon to make sure we had a cap, everyone else went mid, and they ended up taking and holding both. So we still lost.:(

And now I'm not sure what the moral of that story is. :D

Fire traps, acid pools, and Quesh's acid traps are all environmental damage. They can be mitigated by any defensive ability that gives flat damage reduction. However as environmental damage defense cooldowns such as shroud and Concealment's roll do not work against them. The exception to the rule being Sage's Force Barrier, although Barriering with the ball will reset the ball to mid.

Any class with access to enough mitigation DcDs or enough speed boosts can typically run a fire trap without taking fatal amounts of damage. This is also doable with Quesh's acid traps although the snare on the acid traps discourages running through them.

No Concealment can roll through the fire (I'm not sure about the acid, I'll have to check next time I get a queshball). You just have to be standing a hairs breath from the fire trap and then roll and the resist will catch the damage. I've gotten plenty of scores doing that, but to be fair the placement of where to stand can be kinda trickly.

No Concealment can roll through the fire (I'm not sure about the acid, I'll have to check next time I get a queshball). You just have to be standing a hairs breath from the fire trap and then roll and the resist will catch the damage. I've gotten plenty of scores doing that, but to be fair the placement of where to stand can be kinda trickly.

I don't think that is exactly what you are seeing. Roll mechanically is rather weird. It displays some properties of a leap but also properties of a speed boost. The reason you can roll a trap is not that you are resisting the trap. (you can't as far as I know) it's because the game can only check your position at a certain interval, and roll moves you through the trap faster than the game can verify that you are in the trap.

Quesh's traps however are a completely different matter. If you roll a Quesh trap you will complete the roll without taking any damage, but will then take all of the damage upon completing the roll, even if the roll ended outside the trap. Additionally leaping through a trap to a target that is still in the vicinity of the trap will have a similar consequence.

I'm guessing that the Quesh traps are using a entirely different form of collision detection that wasn't used previously.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Here's my understanding of why roll doesn't take damage from the fire or acid traps(sometimes) when abilities are activated there is usually an animation followed by a damage interval, for example for death field/FiB, it's an "instant" ability but there is a delay between activation and damage, another example that makes more sense is force lightning and TkT which have 6 damage instances in .5 second intervals so it's possible to get between those damage instances. With the case of the fire/acid it does damage every .5 seconds so if damage instance 1 is a 0.0 and you enter and exit between.01-.49 you are safe from damage, as "unlikely" as this sounds think for a second how fast the roll is, 12m with in 1 second and then take into consideration how large the fire/acid platform is you spend only maybe .25 seconds on it. Now if you wanted to "fix" it you would need to change the damage instances, time between the instances and damage per instance, ie instead of 20k every .5 seconds 5k every .1 seconds

Did my daily and my weekly today.

Last match was Hypergates against an Republic team - looking as if it was imperial, lol.

Scoundrels were trolling us very, very effectively with their stealth. To me, Scoundrels & Operatives are an even stronger duel class than the Assassins now, but that coulds be because I haven't witnessed many Assassin duels in the recent times. Anyway, no matter what I do, as a Gunslinger, they can easily beat me. And I hate that. The only class I have no chance against, because they can stealth out at any time.

Worst is when there are several stealthers on one side. Stealth as an ability is so much overpowered - in my biased opinion - that 2 or more stealthers = automatic win. Because they can heal other classes, too. and can easily troll people who want to cap a node through cc.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Hi folks! First I wanna tell Alrik that I managed to get into a few zones where the imps were squarely beaten by the Republic! I thought that would cheer him up :) Just no synergy in the imperial teams as of late. A lot of high level characters (55+), so not sure why it is going sideways, but the folks seem to never be where they should be.

I am having a bit of a hard time right now healing on the Operative. Well, he just hit L49, so once I have re-arranged his affairs, I would try again, on my Scoundrel, the same levels stretch: 41-49.

My Sage and Sorc, I was just trying to get into PvE side of things on these ones. :)

Getting tired of levelling, seriously. Dunno if I will have it in me to run the Mercenary right after I finish the Sc-Op.

Edited by DomiSotto