A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

Hi folks :) Some RL stuff here, so I only managed one WZ, a Hypergate. The team won, but I was facepalming, so meh. Still 7 points to go for the weekly, I am not sure I am going to make it this week. Oh, well, so close, and luckily, no roll back for my Tuesday game, so I still have that Obroan Blaster, and valor between 38 and 39.

Thank you for the discussion of the strategies. :) I always read threads on this forum, and I never cease to be amazed how creatively people use their abilities.

On the Pub side, Entrench will become the Hanker Down :)

Edited by DomiSotto

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh-oh. I thought I was done with Tishujen the Gunslinger's stint in PvP. Nope.

good news: I finally hit the Valor 40! Folks, I feel like it's more of your accomplishment than mine, lol! I would have never survived without you!

I went shopping, happy-happy! Got the 2 Brute relics. The problem is not with the relics.

The problem is with the Professional Boots. See, they have the darned Enhancement with Critical on it, so it loses me a whooping bunch of Accuracy and Power even compared to the 140 Makeb mods I still had on the boots. I win Critical and Surge (which is good, but my Crit was already too high, I think 25.89/25.50% with ~ 76% multiplier). Then, again, given I am a slow/clumsy player, maybe it's good for me to have a higher chance of crit when I do pull myself together to shoot. A ranked Enhancement costs a LOT: two (!) weeks if I do every daily, as I need 2000 ranked comms. (100 a day if I do daily, plus a 300 weekly).

Or maybe I can check out an unranked (can't be THAT bad?). I still have over 700 unranked comms left.

Or replace one of my other PvE 156's with an Acute 156?

Or I can keep fighting till the whole 5-piece is rebuilt to Obroan Professional.

Gearing, eh? I remember the times when all I wanted was Makeb mods with some fondness, I tell ya! Anyway, gotta go toss creds after the purple augments to set into the relics.

Edited by DomiSotto

good news: I finally hit the Valor 40! Folks, I feel like it's more of your accomplishment than mine, lol! I would have never survived without you!

I went shopping, happy-happy! Got the 2 Brute relics. The problem is not with the relics.

The problem is with the Professional Boots. See, they have the darned Enhancement with Critical on it, so it loses me a whooping bunch of Accuracy and Power even compared to the 140 Makeb mods I still had on the boots. I win Critical and Surge (which is good, but my Crit was already too high, I think 25.89/25.50% with ~ 76% multiplier). Then, again, given I am a slow/clumsy player, maybe it's good for me to have a higher chance of crit when I do pull myself together to shoot. A ranked Enhancement costs a LOT: two (!) weeks if I do every daily, as I need 2000 ranked comms. (100 a day if I do daily, plus a 300 weekly).

Or maybe I can check out an unranked (can't be THAT bad?). I still have over 700 unranked comms left.

Or I can keep fighting till the whole 5-piece is rebuilt to Obroan Professional.

Gearing, eh?

Well, first of all congratulations. I'm glad you did it, it's amazing to see how excited you are, it makes me feel happy. :)

Now, a suggestion on your gearing up, which I'm sure many will jump at... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't waste my time with Brutalizer rating enhancements and mods before having a full Brutalizer set.

The reason for it, is that you'll be in need to give your Obroan pieces back to get the corresponding Brutalizer pieces. Like, a weapon for a weapon, a chestpiece for a chestpiece and so on.

It's the main reason I still haven't taken the mods off my Obroan set... Together with the fact I don't mind the Brutalizer looks on my Sorc. :o

That said, do expect to lost on some stats if your gear was even slightly optimized... It's the way the standard PvP set are made. On my DPS Sorc I had so many Alacrity I would feel like crying, seeing at how my PvE set has none of it... It completely broke my timings. :D

Now that I'm working towards a full Brutalizer set myself things are getting (slightly) better: I've got enough comms to purchase a Brutalizer piece or two between Ranked and regulars that I will trade. I just spent a moment or two switching Alacrity off in favor of Surge, but once I get the full set, I'll begin min-maxing. ;)

Is this the fastest PvP match in history or what:

http://i60.tinypic.com/e6zvdk.png

So I queued for PvP thinking, "now I'll get to try out me new skills" only for the Pubs to forfeit as soon as they touched the ground. Next thing I know, match over, daily completed. o.O Thing is, it was my very first Huttball ever (methinks that's what it was).

Oh wells. :rolleyes:

Now I'll just have to queue for more PvP since I haven't gotten my fix yet. :D

From now on, Voidstar will be referred to as "sugar":

http://i57.tinypic.com/34efiia.png

But only for Snipers, lmao. I stood on the platform that you fall onto as soon as you leave the starting area, and proceeded to live up to my namesake. At the start of the match, a Pub noticed me and decided to stay away, but since I was close to the objective, she had to choice but to come close. So I hit her with my needle (ah, the DoT skill) then dropped a probe on her and let her run out of view.

As people would come close I would just Ambush, Laze, Snipe, Probe, Needle, etc (and I made sure to needle all of the stealth classes to prevent them from disappearing). Funny thing is, no one attacked me nor did any of the Jedi try to jump up to me and push me down. Not a single one.

What some of my teammates did were to lure peeps into my view and/or range so I could help take them down. Only after the first room was cleared and we had to move, did a Vanguard try to get a few hits in. His mistake was not listening to Obi Wan's, "I have the high ground; you can't win" phrase. He proceeded to launch a rocket at me and a few shots, but I put him down with a nice Ambush from my MR-38 (I swear, when that thing fires Ambush you really feel like you and driving your point home, tee hee).

After I went to the other room, no one paid any attention to me and turned their backs on me. Talk about easy pickings. Note to Pubs; do not turn your back on a Sniper; you'll get a bullet in it! Another Vanguard saw me and decided to try his luck, but an Inquisitor stunned him then I fired my Ambush point blank in his face. Heh, think because I'm a Sniper I'm afraid of a good dust-up?

I know this topic is "A PvP a Day" but I like to do more than one lol. Tons of fun.

Curious, does Entrench prevent against leaps? Like the one you lads told me works on me even in Cover? Reason I ask is because everytime Entrench became available, I used it hoping it would prevent a Jedi from leaping to me.

Whelp, time to queue for one more and see what occurs.

Gearing, eh? I remember the times when all I wanted was Makeb mods with some fondness, I tell ya! Anyway, gotta go toss creds after the purple augments to set into the relics.

Yay grats on 40 mate! And no, it has been all you because I would have never ever bothered with PvP if you had not crafted this topic in the first place. I still say you are not as bad as you think you are (unless you're that Gunslinger I just pounded into the ground; lol jkin, we aren't even on the same server) and with all of that fancy gear you have obtained along with all of the experience, how could you be?

Yep, I had a match like that last week. People are just comm harvesting. It is rare though, so take heart!

@Cox - since I am using the same set for levelling, I simply ended up buying an Unranked Acute (at a discount price of 400 unranked comms, which I was happy to pay) which kept my Accuracy at the same 95/105% mark. I probably should have went Initiative (for Accuracy/Power) instead, but duh. I don't want to live forever. :) Even with that replacement, the boots counted towards the set-piece bonus (it is green now). I just left the enhancement in the Obroan boots, and only pulled the armor and mod piece. So, I think I am good for now. :)

My lowbie Trooper doesn't need anything special, but I am kindda struggling with him now, not really all that interested in the 6th run through Coruscant, lol.

Curious, does Entrench prevent against leaps? Like the one you lads told me works on me even in Cover? Reason I ask is because everytime Entrench became available, I used it hoping it would prevent a Jedi from leaping to me.

Yes, it does. Sometime though, when I have my push-back available and I am sitting high up on a pipe in Queshball, I won't drop in cover specifically for the pleasure of letting 'em use up their leap and get airborn after, then root, then put a payload in. Very satisfying when it works. :)

Normally, as a ranged DPS, if you are left unmolested it means your team is far stronger and puts enough pressure on the opposition. If the opposite team is stronger, you do buy it very fast, and won't be allowed to sit in Cover, you will be forced on your feet and cc/strafe or you die.

I have been playing shooting characters basically exclusively for a couple of months now, so I am itching to go and do the pretty sabre-fighting right now. I am almost tempted to bring my Ani-Mara back into leveling sequence, and go get my behind badly beaten up once in a while by all the Slingers. :) I don't have that many melees, a Sent, a Mara, a Jugg and an Assassin. I probably should have went with a Shadow instead of a Trooper after all, too late now. I am sure I had a darn good reason for it.

Edited by DomiSotto

Yay another win! Suck it Pubs (no not you Domi lol).

http://i60.tinypic.com/k18aag.png

This one was better than the others where I just lay waste to peeps because they couldn't touch me. A Vanguard and I were going toe to toe until I ran out of energy and forgot to hit Adrenaline Probe. Darn it. Then the second time, I made a bee-line directly for him but lost because a healer got to him first. I HATE YOU SAGES!!!! >:V

All in all, we whooped their behinds and I got to use my knife a lot more than I normally do. I also used a lot more potions than I normally do too, lol. As you can see in the photo, I had a Sage performing an epileptic dance because I stunned him as soon as the screen came up; so wanted to kill him!

Like you said, if my team isn't able to hold them off, I have to stay out of cover or within 30 M in order to get any hits in. As soon as they saw me I got bumrushed; sometimes 4 on 1 but I always go down fighting. In my last scrub, I managed to take out a Sage before I got clobbered.

It was fun nonetheless. Maybe I should do one more...:p

As for the melees, why not an Operative/Scoundrel? Sure they use a gun and can use Snipe too, but most of their skills require you to be within 10M. I possess both and they are a ton of fun since you can heal, stealth, and do damage. Heck, you can even tank slightly if you use a retreating fire of course. I was a Dirty Sawbones on my Scoundrel, and the corresponding trees for my Operative. All in all, I prefer Pub side, but playing the same thing all the time becomes a chore, so hence the Sniper (can't wait until we can play as SIS Agents :D).

As for the Shadow, you will love it. I've never been a fan of being a Tank (since my favourite thing is to be a healer/mage/stealth) but after I tried the Shadow, it was my second to 55 (after me Sage). You basically feel unstoppable because like an Operative, you do well at any range.

I believe the tree I used on the Shadow was the middle one, and I only switched to Tank if I was going to solo Darth Malgus or any other flashpoint. Getting that skill that you see in the progression video where she tosses the DBL = epicness.

I've tried both the Mara/Jug, and I prefer the Juggernaut more because you can feel the power behind each blow. It's like you are really murdering your opponents, and with all of that defense, they hit like flies. ^.^

Poor pubs:

http://i57.tinypic.com/i5uoo9.png

Another win yay!

I actually remembered that I have a skill called "Takedown" that literally finishes my opponents for me lol. Also, I think the stealth classes don't realize that I can see them (once my metre fills up of course). A Shadow tried to sneak up on me, got hit with my needle and Interrogation Probe, then got surprised by the Mercenary waiting around the corner, lmao.

Another Shadow ran behind a corner when he was low on HP and as soon as I went after him, he decided to fight back figuring he had the advantage. Well, advantage was mine because not only did I lower his HP, but another Mercenary I was assisting with guarding the objective ploughed into him like no tomorrow lol.

Once again, I secured a position high above, and took out enemies as they came into view. Only once did I vacate the area in order to assist in securing another objective, but I mostly stayed in the middle. I finally got my "10 Gunslinger" kills (sorry Domi <3) because one Gunslinger figured it was a good idea to challenge a Sniper, two Mercenaries, and a Marauder on more than one occasion. Because I can see through stealth, the Scoundrel with him didn't stand a chance.

Now I think I'll take a break and grab a bite before I head on over to the Smuggler's Moon. :)

As for the melees, why not an Operative/Scoundrel? Sure they use a gun and can use Snipe too, but most of their skills require you to be within 10M.

I do have a Scoundrel, Sawbones most likely; he's level 19 atm, so he i not yet very defined skill-wise. But i have already seen the Smuggler's story, and didn''t play through the Trooper's, so my Vanguard will do as a ranged class that is really melee. It's the sabres that I miss, really.

Well, it is pretty. When I tried my Assassin, I thought that I should have done that instead of my Sage. I normally play some sort of a druid or warrior-priest combo, and in both KOTORs I was playing a Consular. But it's too late to try a Shadow. I already have 12 characters, so starting another one, just doesn't make any sense. I think I will just play a little with my Mara, till I get my fill of the sabres, and get her full Anni rotation (she's now L43 going to 44).

I finally got a prompt on the lowbie Trooper (yay!) It takes forever to get prompts on L17, apparently. Actually, did good. Stood guard on that door, like it was my mother's family jewels behind it, spawned taunts and guards and the score board looked like a dream (2nd placement, goldx12, and even 2 MVPs.). Made me feel warm and fuzzy, for sure. And his Daily is done! YAY!

Bounty Hunting now - I need that Legacy Bowcaster!

EDIT: And... I scored in a Quesh Huttball. :cool: WOW! I went to the end zone somehow, kicked the guy around a little there and one of our team passed me the ball. Is today, like PvP Christmas or something?

Edited by DomiSotto

I finally got a prompt on the lowbie Trooper (yay!) It takes forever to get prompts on L17, apparently. Actually, did good. Stood guard on that door, like it was my mother's family jewels behind it, spawned taunts and guards and the score board looked like a dream (2nd placement, goldx12, and even 2 MVPs.). Made me feel warm and fuzzy, for sure. And his Daily is done! YAY!

EDIT: And... I scored in a Quesh Huttball. :cool: WOW! I went to the end zone somehow, kicked the guy around a little there and one of our team passed me the ball. Is today, like PvP Christmas or something?

Hmm, that sounds to me like someone who is doing well at PvP and not like someone who is awful. :p

I was too busy with the Apple Event to even play today. I still can't decide if I want a black or a white iPhone 6 Plus (my 5s is white, but dangit if the black isn't sexy!).

Congratulations! :D

It's not easy to score on Huttball, no matter which one, and as such I suggest you to cherish the feeling. ;)

And about that match on your Vanguard, that's how you should be playing it. So, kudos to you, I see you're getting pretty good at it. Keep having fun though, that's the most important thing! :)

Oh, I am seriously liking it, no matter if I am having one of those "it must be an open season for Twi'leks" day, or a cool day when the other guys just can't hold it together. Actually, I browsed my PvP section, and I have a few of those 5000 with one ability, and 300 thou damage in a zone. So, my Gunslinger's re-equipment did help. I just need to get smarter with what I shoot at and when. Now, that's the trick, eh?

And, with my playstyle and the arrangement of the playing vs RL, PvP absolutely beats Flashpoints/Ops. I just don't have time to commit to the PvE content and the nerves to last in that environment (though I need to man up and try to pug into Manaan and Rakata P). My (freshly) L18 Vanguard after playing only a few zones, and mostly class story on Coruscant is ready to take off to Taris (only after a couple of weeks after starting a character!), and has 80+ comms (after I convert the WZ load). I need to find a Guild willing to take him in too, to get his XP bonuses, to help him down the road (and, so that those Conquest points he probably gets contributes to something).

:) Oh, well, gotta grind-grind though, only 1 bounty! Argh!

Edited by DomiSotto

I think I just threw up in my mouth:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2rf95xt.png

We actually lost to the Republic, lmao. I went up against a Sentinel, but I couldn't get his HP down before he got mine (especially since he had a Sage with him). He tried to take me on in front of my team and got owned hard lol. All in all, it was a good fight especially since I started the match after it was under way.

Thing is, we were preventing them from accessing the door but the game still let them through. What the hell?

Second door. They open simultaneously, once one is opened, both open.

A Sentinel or a Mara will take you down faster than you get him/her if you let him/her stay on top of you. With a dedicated healer, and if you can't get out of range they are god-awesome. The only thing worse is a DPS Sin right behind ya.

Hey, you win some, you lose some, that's how it goes....

Heh, this time we put them in their place:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2vs17oo.png

The same Sentinel I met in Voidstar was back for more in Alderaan. This time I managed to keep my retreating fire and I was able to kill him before he got close enough to do major damage. I also had a Shadow chasing along as well, but for some reason he decided to turn his attention away from me instead of landing the killing blows and paid for it dearly.

What I don't understand is how my team left me all alone after I captured an objective by meself, only to be slaughtered moments later. Lmao. There were some good dust-ups for the middle objective, and I did not die as much as I did during the Voidstar.

What match was this that I just played:

http://i58.tinypic.com/72bn8x.png

I was a Rotworm. That's all I know, lmao. We lost the first match because I had no idea where the enemy team was, so I got owned hard by the two Juggernauts. After we got our bearings, once they saw me drop into cover they backed off. I made sure to use Entrench to prevent leaps, so they switched to the Sorcerers instead, which gave me a chance to load them up with Corrosive Dart, Interrogation Probe, and Explosive Probe (with the bonus) then nail them with Snipe and Ambush as I could.

After we won the Operative ditched the two Juggernauts (poor sport) but they still stayed to the end. Like a good little she-devil, my Sniper attacked the remaining Juggernaut after the match was over followed by the Sorcerers. He died swiftly, lmao.

Curious, now that I am level 25, should I buy anything with my Commendations or should I just save them?