All Mats available Solo

aaronbeale

I completely agree. I would love to see better support for crafters who don't raid.

They're making a whole digital expansion for you! What more do you want?! The entitlement you have is astounding.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're making a whole digital expansion for you! What more do you want?! The entitlement you have is astounding.

Great attitude. I love the regurgitated "entitlement" buzz word that doesn't even fit my comment but I guess this to be expected from folks who don't really understand what they're saying. All I said is I would love to see better support for crafters. Get a grip.

Edited by Vincire

Great attitude. I love the regurgitated "entitlement" buzz word that doesn't even fit my comment but I guess this to be expected from folks who don't really understand what they're saying. All I said is I would love to see betteer support for crafters. Get a grip.

Oh, I see. So you're happy then since GSH is providing crafters many more things to do, right? Or is your real complaint "I want to be able to have everything without investing the requisite time and effort."?

Oh, I see. So you're happy then since GSH is providing crafters many more things to do, right? Or is your real complaint "I want to be able to have everything without investing the requisite time and effort."?

No. I want more options to continue progressing my characters without having to participate in activities I don't particularly enjoy. I want it to take time and effort but of a different sort that is both engaging and fun. It's not a question of entitlement but of entertainment.

What does the name of this topic mean ? Your player alts can be party helper for 1st toon ? Cuz so i.d love that

Such as Guild Wars style groups with your Alts as sort of a "Hero" npc? Man that would be cool.

Edited by Vincire

No. I want more options to continue progressing my characters without having to participate in activities I don't particularly enjoy. I want it to take time and effort but of a different sort that is both engaging and fun. It's not a question of entitlement but of entertainment.

Right, so you aren't really asking for more things for crafters, you're using that as a thin veil for saying "I want the things that I haven't put the time or effort into". That argument has fallen apart on you leaving the smelly entitlement husk behind.

If you want that gear, then put in the effort. It should be as simple as that but you want everything handed to you without putting in the effort. So then we go to "you don't need that gear" because if you're not raiding...you just don't, you want it, and those are vastly different. Now you say "I want to progress my character!" while we all infer the "without putting in effort" prologue. So you can do achievements, or any number of things that don't require you to have the highest end PVE gear, but you're not happy with that either. So we come to an impasse. We tell you the things you can do and you kick your feet and scream because you want the things that other people have but don't want to put in the same effort.

Edit: what happens if they give you what you want? You claim now that it's for "character progression" but if they give you this you'll be decked out in BiS in a week. Then what? You're back here complaining? Neat.

End thread.

Edited by Phyltr

All high-end mats are available solo - you can dig up any of them with the seeker droid at the dig sites on Hoth, Tatooine, Alderaan or Makeb. They are rare to dig up, and count as a "special treasure" (which will deplete the dig site for 2 hours). They are found in artifact-quality secure crates, and can have as many as 3 MMGs in one crate (very rarely, but it happens).

Right, so you aren't really asking for more things for crafters, you're using that as a thin veil for saying "I want the things that I haven't put the time or effort into". That argument has fallen apart on you leaving the smelly entitlement husk behind.

If you want that gear, then put in the effort. It should be as simple as that but you want everything handed to you without putting in the effort. So then we go to "you don't need that gear" because if you're not raiding...you just don't, you want it, and those are vastly different. Now you say "I want to progress my character!" while we all infer the "without putting in effort" prologue. So you can do achievements, or any number of things that don't require you to have the highest end PVE gear, but you're not happy with that either. So we come to an impasse. We tell you the things you can do and you kick your feet and scream because you want the things that other people have but don't want to put in the same effort.

Edit: what happens if they give you what you want? You claim now that it's for "character progression" but if they give you this you'll be decked out in BiS in a week. Then what? You're back here complaining? Neat.

End thread.

You are either intentionally twisting my words or you aren't understanding. I want better support like the OP for crafters who don't raid where they can provide better gear for themselves and others without the tedious credit grind. I would love this, I would use this and would be very happy with that. I also want to see the acquisition of endgame mats tied to a new option that supports solo players via scalable content (i.e. scales to group size) or some other measure that is fun, engaging, and keeps level 55s who don't raid busy with some kind of progression.

If you tried to comprehend another point of view instead of bashing and condescending to someone with a suggestion, you'd have a better understanding of what some of us would like to see. However, you're not here for that. You're here to be a jerk.

You are either intentionally twisting my words or you aren't understanding. I want better support like the OP for crafters who don't raid where they can provide better gear for themselves and others without the tedious credit grind. I would love this, I would use this and would be very happy with that. I also want to see the acquisition of endgame mats tied to a new option that supports solo players via scalable content (i.e. scales to group size) or some other measure that is fun, engaging, and keeps level 55s who don't raid busy with some kind of progression.

Better than what? You claim I'm here to be a jerk but I disagree, I'm simply poking holes in your argument and you're unhappy because you're not rebutting it, you just keep saying "I want better stuff without putting in the same effort as other people!". You don't need it. You saw it was available to raiders and you thought to yourself "I don't want to put in the same effort as raiders but I want the same gear...no...I DESERVE the same gear!". You don't even know why you want it other than because someone else has it.

I can't understand your point of view because I can't bend my mind to believe that you deserve something for less effort than other people have expended. You can already make gear that will allow you to easily complete any of the solo content available. Why isn't that enough? Why do you think that because someone else has something you also deserve it? What would you do if you had it? What would you do for "progression" then? Just do that now instead of asking for handouts.

If you tried to comprehend another point of view instead of bashing and condescending to someone with a suggestion, you'd have a better understanding of what some of us would like to see. However, you're not here for that. You're here to be a jerk.

an idea that might be well earned is some form of Barter and Quest NPC.. the barter part allows crafter's to 1) exchange there wares for a credit or mat reward, because there is ALOT of the crafting schematics that have been made pretty much useless to try and get some form of value from the GTN due to the cartel store, IE Crystals, 2) a quest could be worth it for people gathering materials or crafting specific items and needing to either A. collect items from a specific planet or B. Retrieve a mat from a specific vender all level orientated of course.. Just an idea to throw out there, the Gage of quest or barter exchange would depend on the level of the item...

Better than what? You claim I'm here to be a jerk but I disagree, I'm simply poking holes in your argument and you're unhappy because you're not rebutting it, you just keep saying "I want better stuff without putting in the same effort as other people!". You don't need it. You saw it was available to raiders and you thought to yourself "I don't want to put in the same effort as raiders but I want the same gear...no...I DESERVE the same gear!". You don't even know why you want it other than because someone else has it.

I can't understand your point of view because I can't bend my mind to believe that you deserve something for less effort than other people have expended. You can already make gear that will allow you to easily complete any of the solo content available. Why isn't that enough? Why do you think that because someone else has something you also deserve it? What would you do if you had it? What would you do for "progression" then? Just do that now instead of asking for handouts.

I'm done trying to argue with you. Clearly you're too narrow minded to understand a view point other than yours. You incorrectly view any request for alternative advancement as asking for "Handouts" or as some sort of "Entitlement ************" and insist on thoughtlessly parroting the same straw man robotic buzz words that have been used over and over again by some of those in the hard core raider crowd. You refuse to understand that there are many of us who crave something different from the same ole, same ole archaic raid progression model that is more inclusive than raids and more fun and interesting than dalies.

You're not poking any holes in an argument when you fail to understand the view point; alternatives. Not free, not handouts, not "gimme free stuff", just something different to parallel the tradition raid paradigm.

I'm done trying to argue with you. Clearly you're too narrow minded to understand a view point other than yours. You incorrectly view any request for alternative advancement as asking for "Handouts" or as some sort of "Entitlement ************" and insist on thoughtlessly parroting the same straw man robotic buzz words that have been used over and over again by some of those in the hard core raider crowd. You refuse to understand that there are many of us who crave something different from the same ole, same ole archaic raid progression model that is more inclusive than raids and more fun and interesting than dalies.

You're not poking any holes in an argument when you fail to understand the view point; alternatives. Not free, not handouts, not "gimme free stuff", just something different to parallel the tradition raid paradigm.

From my perspective you're the one who is narrow minded. You are stuck in this idea of higher gear stats as progression, but to what end? Raiders get better gear to complete fights and prepare for the next content...you want better gear to...what? Sit around fleet? You're the one who refuses to see character progression as achievements or PVP valor rank or GSF or reputation grinding. You're the one who's stuck into thinking that you want better gear.

Basically your arguments in this thread boil down to two things:

2. "Crafters don't have enough to do!" To this the response is "wait for GSH". Once that drops you can craft a ton of end tables and lamps and posters for walls and the problem is solved.
  3. "I believe I deserve BiS gear for 'character progression'!" This is the entitled attitude. This is the narrow minded view point. You don't need the gear, you want it because someone else has it and you thought "ME TOO!". There is nothing you need it for but you refuse to accept the other options available as character progression. You refuse to accept anything other than higher stats as character progression.

That's really it, its not a strawman because these are, in fact, your arguments. Those are the only two possible mindsets in feeling like you want BiS gear without putting in the effort. The first I can see the point of view, but its being resolved in GSH. The second is just entitlement, pure and simple.

Also, you still refuse to say what you'd do if you did get BiS gear. Log off and delete the game because then, according to your narrow minded view point, there is no more progression and you're done. If you have something you'd do after you got BiS gear...just do that now and stop asking for handouts.

Edited by Phyltr

From my perspective you're the one who is narrow minded. You are stuck in this idea of higher gear stats as progression, but to what end? Raiders get better gear to complete fights and prepare for the next content...you want better gear to...what? Sit around fleet? You're the one who refuses to see character progression as achievements or PVP valor rank or GSF or reputation grinding. You're the one who's stuck into thinking that you want better gear.

Basically your arguments in this thread boil down to two things:

2. "Crafters don't have enough to do!" To this the response is "wait for GSH". Once that drops you can craft a ton of end tables and lamps and posters for walls and the problem is solved.
  3. "I believe I deserve BiS gear for 'character progression'!" This is the entitled attitude. This is the narrow minded view point. You don't need the gear, you want it because someone else has it and you thought "ME TOO!". There is nothing you need it for but you refuse to accept the other options available as character progression. You refuse to accept anything other than higher stats as character progression.

That's really it, its not a strawman because these are, in fact, your arguments. Those are the only two possible mindsets in feeling like you want BiS gear without putting in the effort. The first I can see the point of view, but its being resolved in GSH. The second is just entitlement, pure and simple.

Also, you still refuse to say what you'd do if you did get BiS gear. Log off and delete the game because then, according to your narrow minded view point, there is no more progression and you're done. If you have something you'd do after you got BiS gear...just do that now and stop asking for handouts.

Wanting better endgame for solo players with some form of progression is NOT entitlement. There is those regurgitated buzz words again; "handouts", "entitlement", etc. You constantly and erroneously equate the wish for better progression of character for those of us that prefer solo play as some sort of crazy unwarranted request and you talk down to anyone that doesn't play the same way you do. It's almost like you believe that a raider's time is the only one that has any value.

We are not out to ruin your fun or limit your progress but you seem hell bent on doing that to us. I guess you're content with seeing bored non-raiders leave the game so long as you get to keep your toys to yourself. Great Attitude.

Edited by Vincire

Wanting better endgame for solo players with some form of progression is NOT entitlement. There is those regurgitated buzz words again; "handouts", "entitlement", etc. You constantly and erroneously equate the wish for better progression of character for those of us that prefer solo play as some sort of crazy unwarranted request and you talk down to anyone that doesn't play the same way you do. It's almost like you believe that a raider's time is the only one that has any value.

We are not out to ruin your fun or limit your progress but you seem hell bent on doing that to us. I guess you're content with seeing bored non-raiders leave the game so long as you get to keep your toys to yourself. Great Attitude.

I've provided multiple avenues for character progression that don't include more gear and you simply ignore them...you refuse to acknowledge the argument because it doesn't fit your world view. You see progression as more stats and when presented with an idea that is contrary to that you cover your ears and scream and pretend you didn't hear it. Its sad that you are so stuck in that mindset.

You also refuse to respond to my question: if your view of "progression" is "more stat", what do you do if they allow you to craft BiS gear after a week when you're done crafting? Do you quit the game because you're done? Do you complain for more "stat"? What do you do? What is the end goal in your scenario? Why can't you do whatever it is you'd do once you get BiS without BiS? Why are you so hung up on wanting what other people have? Is that how you act in the real world?

Okay, I willl try.

I think we need for a change a level cap raise, there crafters would get green schematics with the have to build and reverse angeneer til they reach the purple onec raiders get. Or maybe they have to trade a certain amount of crafted goods to get the schemtacs, or maybe BioWare implements a daily quests which requires you to craft stuff and as a reward you get token to buy the scematics or the exotic materials.

On the other hand, how about total separation? No BioChem stims or augments should bring any benefit in operations... maybe that opens your eyes that you take stuff from the crafting community for granted and are not willing to share your toys with them.

So, any further question?

p.s. What I forgot to mention is, that the stat diffeneces between all the new endgame gear should be minimal, and thuse having not that big if an impact anyway.

Wait so let me get this straight, your compromise is not allow any crafting benefits to be allowed in raids at all? Yet, your schematics idea is maybe fee sable except for one thing, I do not think they should increase to NIM raiding level. I think that should remain exclusive to those who put in the effort, but maybe to tier one or maybe tier two raiding level gear then yes maybe it is a start.

Oh and your stats thing would cause major balance issues so I highly doubt that if they were to ever do something like this, that such a vast separation would take place. It is either completely different or exactly the same.

Wait so let me get this straight, your compromise is not allow any crafting benefits to be allowed in raids at all? Yet, your schematics idea is maybe fee sable except for one thing, I do not think they should increase to NIM raiding level. I think that should remain exclusive to those who put in the effort, but maybe to tier one or maybe tier two raiding level gear then yes maybe it is a start.

Oh and your stats thing would cause major balance issues so I highly doubt that if they were to ever do something like this, that such a vast separation would take place. It is either completely different or exactly the same.

I will play devils advocate here..

Maybe they want raid 180's for I dunno making daily's easier I mean everyone should be able to solo the four man heroics, or is it simply that they see the big money price tag on the items? Truth is the only way to make any type of profit on the item is to crit.. Also if you have ever tried to sell any type of armoring above 28 knows that you have to wait a heck of a long time to sell it, anything remotely close to 700k+ depends on what the market is doing and a lot of people unless you are In an Ops guild and have a new main to gear for the core team won't be shelling out 10m in mats just for armouring alone , 2 Tips 28's or ie 156 gear is quit enough to get almost all level 50 daily's including section X can be done solo aside from the one or two 4 man.. Also here is tip two, the biggest coin ratio for mat prices and credit profit is not at the high end of the spectrum... ;)

Edited by CKNORTH

Waring Long Post: tl;dr for many of you, but you may find it worth considering.

The reason I would like to see this was touched on in a couple posts by other people.

Gearflation = Bad Mechanic. It is the laziest way to create a difficult/challenging encounter. What this does is creates also a disparity in output that can only be matched by more gearflation and tougher encounters to go with the inflated gear.

This is why we started with gear that was Effective Level 51 and worn at level 50 to start the game and not even three years later we have gear that is effective level 81 while the actual level cap is 55.

This eventually presents enormous difficulty challenges for the developers. Even the '156' gear can make it so most all of the level 55 content is a bit easy, especially for a skilled player. They can't up the difficulty of this content though because it makes the game rather unfriendly to the largest majority of players who are not as involved or able as the majority of the motivated posters on the forums.

Sue/StarGlitter makes a note of DAoC, which is also an example I used. I stopped playing shortly before ToA released but as I understand it, even with ToA's release there wasn't any significant 'Gearflation'. So from the beginning of the game to its eventual end (its still going fairly well for a game as old as it is) the top tier of gear has not changed and while some dropped pieces are a hairs breadth better than the 100% crafted and gemcrafted pieces its not enough that it makes a huge difference.

Yet there are raids and end game content that was challenging and fun and it certainly was an accomplishment to be in the group that first took down the Hibernian Dragon on Percival. People also enjoyed the Trials of Atlantis for its challenge factor and all of this was done with gear that had not changed its effective strength since the release of the game.

Another point about this would be that this approach to game design also helped encourage a community. While I have been parts of many different MMO's from text based Muds and Muse and Moo and Mush to beta testing Meridian 59, EQ, WoW, EQ2, Asheron's call, etc etc etc...on through to present I have yet to find a game that truly encouraged an active community like DAoC.

The reason for this was that the best gear you could 'easily' acquire was the crafted gear. It did take time, you had to gather mats, you had to get everything ready then you had to risk the random number generator until you got a masterwork item of 100% quality. This generally meant you were seeking out a number of crafters to assist you in crafting the blade, crafting the enchanting gems, etc. So, it didn't matter if you were a raider, a hardcore PVP/RVR player, etc, you all went to the same source for your equipment.

So the hub cities were 'hopping' and you could always find opportunity to roleplay and engage with fellow players. You had crafters supplying all players no matter what part of the game they favoured. You had raiding, you had PVP, you had casual play, etc. And since all the equipment was the 'same' there was no barrier to entry for anyone to pick up a new hobby. A raider could go ahead and join RvR and while they would have a slight disadvantage re: Realm Ranks it took very little time to get adequate realm rank to be competitive.

A RvR/PvP player could go out on a raid and as long as they paid attention they could be an able addition to the raid without gear fears.

Ad crafters could sit and enjoy themselves and know their wares were actually desired. Unlike the mess of a crafting system we have on SWTOR.

My argument 'For' allowing crafters to gather the materials without having to do the Ops would be that for SWTOR to have actual longevity and an active community the Develpers need to start making choices that bring the various styles of play _together_ instead of wedging them apart.

SWTOR's design decisions have essentially fractured the game into tiny warring factions. Raiders, PVP, Casuals, etc all are forced by the game design to have goals and outlets that are separate. Expertise on PVP gear means you either have to specialize in PvP or have an insane amount of time to PvP AND Raid effectively. So there is an inherent either|or created by the game systems/mechanics. For the players (the vast majority) who don't have the time to specialize to that extent there is little of interest to them in the 'end game' and its either make another character to see another class storyline or its quit and find something new.

If they look at 'merging' the design of the game so that the equipment is available to all, fade out the 'PvP' equipment/expertise they can focus on building a game that encourages community and in so doing, greatly increases the pool of players available to participate in _every_ activity.

I'd say stop gearflation, do not add anything above the current 180/186 stuff that is here presently until the level cap matches the gear level. Make it so crafted goods are actually useful and desireable.

I would do this by 'mimicing' gemcrafting from DAoC, EG, have the various items have different available procs etc. So you can proc internal damage, fire damage, cold damage, etc from different types of barrels/sabre hilts, etc.... this also allows you to design the end game content so that it might require an equipment swap out. Likewise you can make armor mods that are better aganst some types of damage, worse against others. again, helping you design end game encounters that are more challenging even though the gear's effective level never budges.

Have some procs and effects reserved/held back to only EVER be available from raid drops/PvE content. So, it wont ever be on the Cartel market, crafters, etc. This gives raiders something to strive for and maybe provides an advantage in some rading content, but has little overall effect on the rest of the game because it too is effectively leveled to be on par with everything else available.

Thuus you create a game where an entire 'side' is unified. Raiders can help in the PvP if things look dire, PvP can help the raiders if they need a few extra bodies. The casuals will likely take longer to get to the end game equipment etc, but once they are there, they can continue to do whatever it is they want to do and have time for without being a huge liability.

he developers can then focus on the inherent dichotomy of Republic v. Empire. They can work on fostering the great space opera struggle that draws people to the Star Wars franchise to begin with. They can start creating 'war zones' that have repercussions on the game for the winning and losing side. They can introduce systems (like they are doing with the new expansion) where one side or another can lay claim to a specific planet and provide small bonuses to the 'winning' side and small penalties to the losing side.

Quick Example:

Lets say every planet has a custom warzone associated with it. When queueing for warzones you can choose to queue for galactic struggle war zones or for 'standard' ones that are basically our existing WZ's. If you choose to queue for a galactic struggle WZ, you can also specify which planets you are interested in being involved with OR you can choose random. Lets say you choose specifically to target Ilum so you are queued up and when there are enough players from the other side that queue for Ilum or random, it creates the WZ. The results of that WZ are added to a running tally which can tip to one side or the other, once that tally hits a threshold, that side gains 'ownership' of the Planet. Ilum for instance might provide a 2% bonus/penalty to the availability of crystals which affects your crafters. Not a lot, but enough that they might get off their benches and join the war. Same with the riaders.

Each planet also has a 'raid' associated with it. Same deal. Raiders can hammer the same raid and each time they succeed, it tilts the planet score towards their side. This planet score is the same score as the WZ score. So you are both able to tilt the game one way and the other side will need to react.

When a planet tilts one side or the other, have certain added fortifications created and they are populated with tougher guards and a control point. So people can also actually go play on this planet and have a synthesis of raiding/pvp where they can help reduce a planets score (boost it for their own side) by striking these fortifications and turning the node. Players from the other side can go and attempt to defend these as well.

GSF players can have the space battle for each planet as well. Where perhaps the 'reward' for having the edge in GSF means that your side gets a slight advantage in assigning people to that planets raids/wz's if you are using groupfinder or random queueing. Giving them a role in helping secure the space lanes for getting troops/equipment to the planet and accesing the resources.

I know he Hero Engine doesn't handle large scale open world pvp, so instance this heavily and the already built in controls to keep people from instance hopping will be enough to control things.

So, by doing this we've stopped gearflation, created more community goals, enhanced individual playstyles people enjoy (Raiding, Pvp, pve, etc) and all around improved the game by making the community matter and involving the players in common goals though they may have uncommon means of achieving them.

Crafters have a purpose, they support _everyone_ (as expertise is gone and gearflation is halted)

Raiders have a purpose, they can turn the tide of a resource through raiding AND they might find unique/rare procs in the process, thus achieving/feeling their efforts are personally rewarding as wel.

PvP players have a purpose, and can turn the tide of a resource.

pvE players/Casuals can still be involved at all levels and not be a liability.

GSF players have a purpose.

And every player can switch up what they are helping with 'at will' so you aren't locked into a single aspect of the game and forced thus to tribalise and act in opposition to your own faction just to promote what you want and one playstyle.

And all of a sudden we have a game focused on a community of disparate playstyles with a single goal. Galactic Domination over their foes.

And I guaranty, you would not miss having your level 180/186 equipment all to yourselves as raiders. You would be happy when you've been waiting for several hours to fill out a team to have _loads_ of players who are capable and may actually be willing to jump in. They wont be _perfect_ additions because their skill level may not be as great as they haven't done the encounter as often as you but as long as they listen and press their buttons in the correct order tomaximise their efficiency (something that is the same PvE and PvP for the most part) they wont be held back by gear which creates a HUGE barrier of entry to raiding play.

Likewise, Raiders can be available to help join in the PvP fray if needed to help turn the tide on a planet and gain control of some vital resources. (Resources which benefit raiding as well) and they wont be held back by some artificial gearing barrier (expertise) etc.

Build community, not warring factions within the greater faction.

Some notes on DAOC:

1) Top-End guilds had people who did nothing BUT craft. (Crafting time got longer) Guilds would bring in all the mats, dump em with the appropriate crafter and take off again.

2) Raids were Zergs - fests.

3) DAOC had its own version of gearflation with Darkness falls or whatever that dungeon's name was.

Expanding on the 'Planet Score' concept.

Lets say each planet has a score that is listed like: 500/500 where the score on either side reflects either empire or republic.

A planet with a score of 500/500 is neutral. Neither side is receiving bonuses, neither side has an established foothold in the system. (Fortifications on planet are staffed with 'neutral'...read mutually hostile to imp/republic... planetary defense forces)

WZ score for the planet may be 125/125

Raid Score for the planet may be 125/125

Ground Game (PvE/PvP Open World Play) score for the planet may be 125/125

GSF Score may be 125/125

If you win a WZ on that planet the WZ score tilts to 124/126 and the planet score is now 499/501

Same on down the list.

When the planet score reaches certain levels, the bonus/penalty for that planets reflected resources kicks in. These are global penalties. So Using Ilum example above.. If you control Ilum completely (>900/<100 lets say) all Missions involving crystals, all resource nodes involving crystals are at a greater chance for critical success for the winning side and reduced chance for the losing, as stated before 2% or so at max.

Queueing for the galactic struggle could be as simple as opening the Galactic Struggle interface, selecting the planest that interest you (or all of them for greatest randomness) and the activity that interests you (WZ, Raid, GSF... with the PvE/Open World PvP being accomplished just by getting in your ship and going to the planet) and there you go.

Since everyone has access to the same potential equipment, there is no need to keep pvp/pve gear separate with an artificial stat. Players can tinker with their damage types with the various procs etc so that they sometimes do more damage or less damage based on the types of resistance the opposite player has chosen.

Some notes on DAOC:

1) Top-End guilds had people who did nothing BUT craft. (Crafting time got longer) Guilds would bring in all the mats, dump em with the appropriate crafter and take off again.

2) Raids were Zergs - fests.

3) DAOC had its own version of gearflation with Darkness falls or whatever that dungeon's name was.

Darkness Falls actually wasn't much by way of gearflation. It was a quicker way to get geared without using crafting and their 'raids' in darkness falls had their own unique rewards.

Mentioning that also brings up another idea... In the Intergalactic conflict, perhaps 'owning' a certain number of planets could then open up access to a worm hole/special planet ala Darkness Falls, with additional mats, special raids, etc.

Also, 'expertise' could still exist but in the form of a 'proc' so that with damaging gear with procs on it you may do an extra few percent of damage to other players unless they have pvp resistance equipment equipped.

I would ask if DoAC has such a wonderful system with "no gearflation", why is it not doing better? If everyone having access to the same gear is such a wonderful system, why aren't more games emulating it?

Why are so many games that have different requirements for obtaining different gear or items doing so well, with a much higher player base than DoAC? Is it because of the different requirements for different items? Everyone CAN obtain at least most of the items available, if they are willing to put forth the effort to obtain them and do what is necessary to do so.

This entitled attitude of "I play the game. I should be able to have everything without ever doing anything I don't want to do." is becoming epidemic. Even the F2P'ers and preferred want the benefits of subscribing without actually paying to subscribe, it seems.

I know some people cannot devote hours and hours to the game. I consider myself lucky if I get to play more than three or four hours a week, if even that much, due to RL commitments. I simply understand that even though this is a game, if I choose not to do something, then I am also choosing not to get the reward for that activity. Unlike many others, it seems, I recognize that my limited play time, or the fact that I do not like certain activities, does not entitle me to an alternate means of obtaining anything.

ISince the mods are the same, why would there be any more impact than raid acquired gear? Why would it trivialize anything anymore than now? Crafting would obviously see it's importance increased since crafters could acquire their materials over time but it shouldn't be an instant acquisition and perhaps crafters should have to re their mods to learn schematics just like raiders do.

First, thank you for trying to answer.

1. The impact is in SCOPE: your idea would put the ENTIRE playerbase in topend gear. At present, the content is designed around that NOT being true. As someone with multiple toons in various stages of endgame gearing: Oricron, what arguably should be the 'hardest' non-ops zone, is a JOKE. There is no threat of death. The worst that happens is I have used cooldowns AND a medpac during the Heroic because the RNG gave more damage than last time. This would turn the entire game into that. Until Bioware retooled the ENTIRE GAME (what I have meant by saying NGE) to accomodate a now LINEAR power curve for everyone.

Right now the power curve is on a positive slope. There aren't as many true BiS across the board as there are those in a combination of crafted, quest-dropped, and GTN-bought blues+. That is what content in the 'open world' and in quests is designed around. That seems apparent to me. This isn't a sandbox game where only player skill and input lag make a difference, it is all about your class level which give you more skills, your choice of companion which give you another set of skills, and your gear which improve the output of those skills. All of which, from 1 to 55 and then from basic gear to endgmae BiS is designed on a positive slope from left to right.

2. Crafting would have to change as well. And something you also haven't answered is where will all these schematics come from? Right now 34 schematics come only from RE-ing token-dropped gear. No artificer learned a Might 34 hilt from a comm-dropped offhand. So what your idea will do is just flood the GTN with the mats. Without a complete change in the system (what I meant by NGE), you would still need token-dropped gear from ever-increasing tiers of gear to be RE-d for the schematics. You are basically just asking for free mats to take to a raider-crafter to have them make it for you. And I honestly do not say free to be disparaging, but it is basically what, in the context of THIS GAME as it is now, it would be.

3. The parts of this game are all interconnected: 'elder game,' leveling, crafting, PVE, PVP ... they all intersect. If you put everyone in endgame gear you would trivialize almost all PVE and gut crafting. PVP would radicaly change too as everyone would be in 180 gear.

Again: alternate advancement would be great. But this game isn't designed that way, sadly. You are arguing for something in the theoretical and I am answering you in the practical. Maybe the next Star Wars MMO will offer alternate advancements. Again, that'd be nice.

At the end of it, it should take more time to work your way through the tiers, it should be fun and interesting, and it should be accessible.

I'll just say this one more time: I think what you really want is more content. I think if you actually looked at how this game is designed, you would realize that a linear power curve is a very bad idea. I think the fact that this idea is floated (and I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt here) is a sign that the slowest consumers of content are reaching the same wall the fastest consumers of content have. What we need is GSH and 3.0, not everyone in 180 gear.

Edited by thewitchdoctor

On the other hand, how about total separation? No BioChem stims or augments should bring any benefit in operations... maybe that opens your eyes that you take stuff from the crafting community for granted and are not willing to share your toys with them.

Are you actually that petty?

You sound like you bought into the garbage of the CoD wanna-bes that try to claim raider-gear must be better. (Note to you: the Devs obviously haven't agreed with them since comm-bought gear is only a smidge worse (i.e., Endurance heavy) and then only in ways that are meaningful inside an ops (where mitigation/DPS/HPS are more important).

EDIT: I wanted to add this in before someone tried to jump on. Yes, ultimate comm-bought gear is not BiS. My point though is that it doesn't need to be and it isn't too far off anyways. A few points of primary stat, damage stat, or mitigation stat in exchange for a few points of Endurance, for a non-NiM raider is of little consequence. Also, while yes, some pieces have ridiculous stats placed on them, I think that is just to extend the treadmill. And considering how long we are between meaty updates at the moment, it was probably a good choice. But THAT is a different argument. But I stand by my posit that comm-bought gear, for non-NiM mode raiders, and then optimised to replace the wonky enhancements and mods, is more than sufficient. (And shows that Bioware is not hiding the best gear away behind operations).

Edited by thewitchdoctor