Strongholds

Mad_Magus

I've been watching the Twitch video on Strongholds, and am not at all impressed. The developers could actually have added content, raised the level cap to 60, or, go figure, fixed stuff. Instead they've opted for yet more window dressing. We get our own "I love me" wall, with little or no functionality that isn't available on our ship.

IMO, a load of crap to get EA more money.

I've been watching the Twitch video on Strongholds, and am not at all impressed. The developers could actually have added content, raised the level cap to 60, or, go figure, fixed stuff. Instead they've opted for yet more window dressing. We get our own "I love me" wall, with little or no functionality that isn't available on our ship.

level caps usually come with an expansion aka 3.0 stay tuned. This has been things people wanted and have been screaming for so to other it IS content. Just not the content YOU want.

And along with the new stuff there probably will be bug fixes between 2.8.1 and 2.9 (so 2.8.2 and 2.8.3 potentially).

sorry you feel slighted, but again, one voice screaming NO, in a large crowd of those screaming YES doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm pretty upset with the hooks to decorate. To me that was the main point, instead they chose the far less popular option of going with restricted decoration mechanics IMO.

For me this was a HUGE fail. The only redeeming quality the feature has, IMO, is legacy storage. I feel as if they wasted most of the development cost on this, and just like GSF I personally feel it will be yet another lackluster addition to the game that had potential that was squandered due to a lack of insight as to what players desired.

My opinion of course. At least it's not totally useless to me, but its pretty darn close.

I'm pretty upset with the hooks to decorate. To me that was the main point, instead they chose the far less popular option of going with restricted decoration mechanics IMO.

For me this was a HUGE fail. The only redeeming quality the feature has, IMO, is legacy storage. I feel as if they wasted most of the development cost on this, and just like GSF I personally feel it will be yet another lackluster addition to the game that had potential that was squandered due to a lack of insight as to what players desired.

My opinion of course. At least it's not totally useless to me, but its pretty darn close.

Well, your last bit was something I can agree with. It's certainly your opinion.

Sounds like the typical "I don't like this feature" response around here :/

Guess I'll start doing that with Ops and HM FP's then since I don't do those... and PvP as well...

Dude, have you not payed attention. There are TWO expansions on teh way. One is housing, the one afterwards is the real expansion you described. And I know a lot of people who have wanted housing for a while so its not a waste either. You don't even have to spend money on cartel stuff a lot of it is CONFIRMED purchasable with credits or from crafters ( if you aren't one yourself of course)

Somehow I'm betting you're a member of a VERY small group of people.

with everything they just showed us in an hour I'm already stoked for August to get here so I can play around with the strongholds.

That's fair. It might in fact be a very small group of folks that find this disappointing. The same was said for GSF.

However, I think it might be the opposite. I think, personally, a rather large group of folks was expecting free design placement, and just like GSF most folks will find it falls short of expectations.

Just my view naturally. I wish them all the success in the world.

Well, your last bit was something I can agree with. It's certainly your opinion.

And that is really all it is. I hope that the desire for free placement was actually a minority desire and this is a very successful addition to the game.

I suspect that will not be the case however. Just like with GSF.

That's fair. It might in fact be a very small group of folks that find this disappointing. The same was said for GSF.

However, I think it might be the opposite. I think, personally, a rather large group of folks was expecting free design placement, and just like GSF most folks will find it falls short of expectations.

Just my view naturally. I wish them all the success in the world.

Maybe you can explain why you were expecting free placement? Especially since they never even suggested that it would be free placement.

Then, maybe you can explain why you're upset that they failed to live up to your own mistaken and overblown expectations.

hooks or free placement depends mainly on the games ability to handle it so if TOR isn't able to accommodate free placement then obviously they couldn't use it.

The above is pure speculation as I have no clue if the game/engine can or can't.

All opinions are welcome in my book. And I get it. I too want stuff to do and I mean action stuff. Spending hours figuring out which table I want in the living room is not why I play games.

However, I do enjoy customizing stuff to make it mine. And the live stream I just watched on strongholds makes me realize that I will in fact spend countless hours customizing and tweaking my Stronghold. So much so... that I wonder if I will get much sleep during early access.

It looks good.

Did not watch the whole stream. Just some parts. So, Strongholds are basically a showroom for our stuff and achievements. Right?

Did they say who can visit my Stronghold and how?

Is it as impractical like the ship?

Did not watch the whole stream. Just some parts. So, Strongholds are basically a showroom for our stuff and achievements. Right?

I believe they said if you put your stronghold up on something forgot what they called it then anyone can come to your stronghold and check it out, you can also invite people to your strongholds as way as give out keys to people.

I also remember them saying that your imp chars for example can visit your pub char strongholds.

Yes others can visit by invitation. They spoke of a key system where you give others keys to get in, but little was said about how that will work.

You can invite people to a group and they can enter your Stronghold.

You can also give a 'key' to your place and get permanent access to your Stronghold.

You can also set it up for Public use, meaning 'anyone at all' can join your Stronghold at any time, without even being invited, though they stress that there's a practical limit to how many people will be able to join, depending at least partially on how many rooms you have unlocked in your Stronghold.

I'm sure it will be summarized, but to answer this specific questions. You can make your Stronghold public so anyone can come in at anytime or private where you can give your friends keys to access it at anytime. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

I used to play Ultima Online and the housing system there was free placement. There were a lot of very creative implementations and I spent a lot of time visiting different homes, trying to get ideas for my own. I never used the hook system before, so I don't have any expectations.

The way I see it, is that this is a free addition to the game. It's free. I can't complain about that. Oh and for the record, I am extremely excited for Galactic Strongholds. I think BW has done an awesome job so far!

Well to me its content :) I did arena teams in WoW so Im so burnt out on PvP I don't consider it content, same with Galactic Starfighter (I get vertigo, so a game feature making me puke -definitly- isn't content for me). Raids? Got that out of my system in other games as well.

PvP and raids weren't fun, they were a second job I started to hate, so part 1 of the 2 content updates will make me very happy. Games are supposed to be something you do to relax and have fun, not a second job...

[Part 1 = housing] , [Part 2 = PvE/PvP stuffs]

You of course, prefer part 2, but unlike you, I'm not complaining that they are doing something for everyone, instead of just doing what -you- prefer...

Edited by XiamaraSimi

I don't do PVP either, and was simply giving my opinion of what I saw in the video. I'm surprised that some people feel I should not have an opinion, or at least not voice it, but they should have a right they don't think I have.

I don't do PVP either, and was simply giving my opinion of what I saw in the video. I'm surprised that some people feel I should not have an opinion, or at least not voice it, but they should have a right they don't think I have.

Your opinion is as important as anyone else's here. However, The way you presented that opinion is what got us on your case. You basically said "this sucks they should have done this and this instead of wasting time on strongholds" when they are infact doing everything you said they should be WHILE working on strongholds.