Robes, Capes and MOUNTS

Anzel

Come on guys, the game has been out for a while now. Can you please do something about robes and capes clipping through mounts? You have a terrible cosmetic problem with a piece of content that is purely cosmetic.

It's been around since beta. Never getting fixed - you'll have to go robeless or deal with it.

Just means you need more squeaky wheels :p

Even if it is an old issue, it still makes the game look really bad, and lazy. To be honest it is my 1 major gripe as well...

Even if it is an old issue, it still makes the game look really bad, and lazy. To be honest it is my 1 major gripe as well...

not as bad as going with that said speeder and robe on planets with grass, and watch s#&t grow before you.

when is that draw distance gonna be fixed anyway?

not as bad as going with that said speeder and robe on planets with grass, and watch s#&t grow before you.

I like how mailboxes and cargo holds magically appear on fleet sometimes when it's particularly busy :p

As someone who has dealt with modeling and animation in games before. This is a nightmare to fix and may not really be possible. Particularly since cloths appear to have a independent animation outside of the player's. Edited by Zoom_VI

LOL I always laugh at that, I feel like I'm in a Miracle-Gro commercial.

I just chalk it off as magical and carry on to my next assignment.

As someone who has dealt with modeling and animation in games before. This is a nightmare to fix and may not really be possible. Particularly since cloths appear to have a independent animation outside of the player's.

Oh good so that's not just me! Sometimes I have to stand there with everyone and stare at the wall......and wait until the mailbox finally decides to show up.

Oh good so that's not just me! Sometimes I have to stand there with everyone and stare at the wall......and wait until the mailbox finally decides to show up.

It seemed to have been fixed for a short while, then it went back to being a slower draw. Not really that annoyed myself as I find it rather funny. Last night was looking for a mailbox on fleet and ran past two before one decided to draw.

It seemed to have been fixed for a short while, then it went back to being a slower draw. Not really that annoyed myself as I find it rather funny. Last night was looking for a mailbox on fleet and ran past two before one decided to draw.

:) Ditto! Last night as well, in fact. It's almost like waiting for the actual USPS snail mail delivery, only, in this case, it's waiting for the actual mailbox to be delivered.

I blame the people who designed the ARPAnet, although it is not really their fault.

The designers of ARPAnet were designing a limited-access communication network for the military that did not need to support the kind of real-time interaction seen in games, and did not have to resist DDOS attacks because who was allowed to connect to the network was very limited (I remember when GE's Corporate R&D lab was given permission to connect a single computer to it. :)). On the plus side, ARPAnet would continue to function reliably even after a large number of the links and nodes were annihilated by a nuclear war (which was the entire point of it really).

Then commercial users (like GE) started seeing how useful networking was, and since all the ARPAnet protocols were already developed and proven, they used those protocols to create the civilian Internet. Big mistake, and one we are still suffering from.

If the Internet had been instead based on, say, the Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) networking technology being developed by the telcos, things would have been very different.

The other day I ran twice around the whole fleet area searching for the mailbox, LOL :eek::D

The other day I ran twice around the whole fleet area searching for the mailbox, LOL :eek::D

LOL Yep, the first time it got me I logged for the night, thinking I was so tired I had ran by the mailboxes looking for them, and that they were right there the whole time and I just didn't see them. Didn't know they were playing tricks on me.

I log back in the next day, fresh, go to the mailbox...........:confused: hey, wait a second!!!! :eek::mad::D

Really bad and lazy? You haven't played many games have you. Pretty much every game that has existed has some kind of clipping. And this being a cloth physics issue, solving it correctly is very computationally expensive. For this reason most games avoid cloth, particle, and fluid systems altogether, or cheat. SWTOR gets away with it as well as they do because pretty much the only collision they check for are against your feet, and probably the floor (or "floor" if they just assume a ground plane based on the feet location).

They could probably make it a fully robust cloth physics system, that reacts correctly to anything it encounters, but it would grind the game to a halt.

The most amazing thing is that when you preview a bike they don't go through the mounts.

Yes they do. When you preview it does not apply the cloth animation and just locks the cloth a set distance from your body. So instead of clipping through the bottom it just clips through your seat.

It will probably never be "fixed" since as presented earlier by another poster... it's not a trivial thing to overcome... especially when you multiply umpteen different speeders with umpteen different ward robes.

Personally, rather then be upset about it.. I went another direction and treated it as a mini-game challenge inside the game -----> mixing and matching armor WITH mounts to avoid clipping and fall through. Been 100% successful so far too.

Of course some mounts (like the animal mounts) make it easier then some others.

Tip: If you are wearing a flowing cape outfit... then you want a mount you stand up on in most cases (if this bothers you).

Edited by Andryah

I blame the people who designed the ARPAnet, although it is not really their fault.

The designers of ARPAnet were designing a limited-access communication network for the military that did not need to support the kind of real-time interaction seen in games, and did not have to resist DDOS attacks because who was allowed to connect to the network was very limited (I remember when GE's Corporate R&D lab was given permission to connect a single computer to it. :)). On the plus side, ARPAnet would continue to function reliably even after a large number of the links and nodes were annihilated by a nuclear war (which was the entire point of it really).

Then commercial users (like GE) started seeing how useful networking was, and since all the ARPAnet protocols were already developed and proven, they used those protocols to create the civilian Internet. Big mistake, and one we are still suffering from.

If the Internet had been instead based on, say, the Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) networking technology being developed by the telcos, things would have been very different.

Sounds great, not so accurate. Redundancy was a factor to overcome unreliability in the network, not really nuclear attack (although of course it helped in that case). Arpanet was shutdown, it did not become the Internet and TCP/IP protocols were designed in 1983 for the newer networks, after ARPANET was being phased out.

ATM was laid out in the 1980's after the computer networks were up and running and really did not see full implementation until the 1990's. Sort of late to base the structure on it. The benefit of ATM was small and defined cell size that improved speeds on the old slow networks. With modern networks the small size became a liability.

On top of all of that, the delay you see in mailboxes and terminals is mostly client side. I used to have that problem when I ran with 4 GB memory and a mechanical HDD. 16Gb and SSD later, no issue with terminals slow to appear.

Yes they do. When you preview it does not apply the cloth animation and just locks the cloth a set distance from your body. So instead of clipping through the bottom it just clips through your seat.

So it really comes down to choice on the developer's end. We know that a robe won't clip the mount when you preview because, as you stated, it uses a different animation for during the preview (if that is actually the case which I'm willing to bet you're right). Therefore, it would be very easy to implement a simple IF statement that would be something akin to: IF not mounted, use animation 1 (free flowing animation with physics, blah blah). Else, use animation 2 (non-clipping, non-moving physics for the robe).

I feel that the developers made a decision to keep the physics of the robe on while mounted to give a more "real" appearance (flowing in the wind sorta thing). Otherwise they would have done what I mentioned above a while ago, it wouldn't be that difficult seeing as they clearly already have an animation in place to not clip the mount. It's just a matter of whether or not they want to use it, because you know there will be people annoyed that their robe doesn't flap in the wind anymore while mounted if they were to change this.

So it really comes down to choice on the developer's end. We know that a robe won't clip the mount when you preview because, as you stated, it uses a different animation for during the preview (if that is actually the case which I'm willing to bet you're right). Therefore, it would be very easy to implement a simple IF statement that would be something akin to: IF not mounted, use animation 1 (free flowing animation with physics, blah blah). Else, use animation 2 (non-clipping, non-moving physics for the robe).

I feel that the developers made a decision to keep the physics of the robe on while mounted to give a more "real" appearance (flowing in the wind sorta thing). Otherwise they would have done what I mentioned above a while ago, it wouldn't be that difficult seeing as they clearly already have an animation in place to not clip the mount. It's just a matter of whether or not they want to use it, because you know there will be people annoyed that their robe doesn't flap in the wind anymore while mounted if they were to change this.

Talk about missing the point! The preview window uses a different and much simpler animation technique that is (apparently) not viable in-game. You completely missed that.

Talk about missing the point! The preview window uses a different and much simpler animation technique that is (apparently) not viable in-game. You completely missed that.

Actually the preview window doesn't use any animation for the cloth. Just as it doesn't use reflectivity effects or bloom.

When you make a model (i.e a piece of gear) it is made of of hunders of polygons. generally in a set pose, the cape/kama is created along with the rest of the model.

The models are animated because inside of them is a invisible "skeleton" comprised of "bones" (this is jargon) all the polygons on the model are attached the respective bone. Animations are applied to the bones, this is how animations can be applied to characters that are entirely different size and shape from each other.

Now the thing is you don't want the cape/kama to attached the bone like everything else, so the cape will have its own flag in the model that tells the engine to apply cloth physics. The preview window does not respect this flag.

But you might ask "But Crinn, why don't they make it so the flag is ignored when riding a speeder?" Well the truth is they probably can. But the results may not be as pretty as you would think. Without the flag the fabrics will stay locked in their flared out positions. Just preview a piece of gear that has a full length, also notice if you have your character draw a weapon in the preview window, the cape will be drawn along perfectly parallel to your character's legs. This is because the cape in the preview window is locked onto the animation bone in your leg. The problem with this is that if you where to mount a speeder in such a state the cape will wrap through the speeder since your legs are straddling the speeder. On kamas this won't look to bad since the kamas are small enough to mostly disappear into the speeder's body. But full back capes actually flair out to their full length without the animation, which means if you where to mount any of the speederbikes it would appear as if your speeder grew wings out the side rather than having a bit of fabric hanging out the bottom.

I hope that made sense, I'm typing while dozing off.

Actually the preview window doesn't use any animation for the cloth. Just as it doesn't use reflectivity effects or bloom.

I hope that made sense, I'm typing while dozing off.

Thanks for the more detail on what I was trying to convey.

No.

In previews, the robe/cloak flows along the seat (for example) of the vehicle.