Is Time For Bioware To Look At Some F2P Restrictions

shefflad

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing "there's nothing worth paying for" being posted in a forum that requires one to be paying to post. So, apparently, the ability to post is worth paying for, or, someone's lying... Actually, I guess if being able to post here is worth paying for, it just means that someone's lying, no matter what, eh?

The restrictions are there to make people want to avoid them by subbing. They need to stay.

The F2P restrictions are more than fair, in this world you get what you pay for.

They are taking up server space, bandwidth ect without paying

They get access to the expansion for free, something alot of us paid for

They can farm credits to buy unlocks for nearly everything limited off the gtn

They can bypass credit limits again by buying them from the gtn

So given this there are four choices for F2P people

1. Accept the limits they have

2. Farm credits and get unlocks that have been paid for by others to gain access to just about everything for free

3. Make a one time small spend to have even less restrictions

4. Sub and get everything

I started as F2P then i decided to sub, i get the six month package, which works out at less than one hours wage per month. That is not a high sub cost, even the more expensive packages can be afforded by a kid with a paper round or pocket money.

If someone does not want to pay such a small fee for unlimited access then ok, i got no issues with that. But since they are playing for free then they should be happy that they get as much as they do plus in-game ways to bypass the restrictions, they are treated more than fairly and should not have the restrictions relaxed.

It is the people that pay that support keeping this game afloat, be it by sub or buying coins, a F2P is someone who has not contributed a penny and as such should either be happy with what they have, sub or find a game with F2P restrictions more to their liking.

Edited by Rusah

If you give the F2P people greater access to warzones or flashpoints or whatever, then you take away incentive for subscribers.

There is a balance. Yeah, maybe it's frustrating for some PvPers that subscribe to not have matches as often as they would like, but if they let F2Pers participate more often, those same subscribers may decide that F2P gives them all the PvP that they want.

The OP paints a picture of subscribers leaving unless something is done, but his solution could result in the exact same thing.

I agree. After almost a year break I wanted to go back into raiding. Barely any guilds out there on ToFN doing top content and it's impossible to find pugs for Hard (ez) mode Dread Fortress or Palace :/

Need to think of some way to make life harder for freeps, though. I think credit limit is totally enough, though.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

The F2P restrictions are more than fair, in this world you get what you pay for.

They are taking up server space, bandwidth ect without paying

They get access to the expansion for free, something alot of us paid for

They can farm credits to buy unlocks for nearly everything limited off the gtn

They can bypass credit limits again by buying them from the gtn

So given this there are four choices for F2P people

1. Accept the limits they have

2. Farm credits and get unlocks that have been paid for by others to gain access to just about everything for free

3. Make a one time small spend to have even less restrictions

4. Sub and get everything

I started as F2P then i decided to sub, i get the six month package, which works out at less than one hours wage per month. That is not a high sub cost, even the more expensive packages can be afforded by a kid with a paper round or pocket money.

If someone does not want to pay such a small fee for unlimited access then ok, i got no issues with that. But since they are playing for free then they should be happy that they get as much as they do plus in-game ways to bypass the restrictions, they are treated more than fairly and should not have the restrictions relaxed.

It is the people that pay that support keeping this game afloat, be it by sub or buying coins, a F2P is someone who has not contributed a penny and as such should either be happy with what they have, sub or find a game with F2P restrictions more to their liking.

Actually they DON't get access to rise of the hutt cartel for free they still have to pay for it if they want to go past lvl 50. They will get access to strongholds for free but then again so do we when you think about it.

The useful Unlocks for f2p/prefs on My Server go from 300K to well over 700K so they are not as easily gotten as you seem to think it's based on your servers economy.

Edited by Anaesha

And you post that even as he, an F2P player, says that it's fine as it is, a point against lessening restrictions. :D

You mistake my acceptance of people playing the game F2P as wishing they could get more for free. That's not my position.

What I "want" is more reasons to sub. I want more content. I want content that's desirable to pay for. I don't care if people play for free, my hope is they all eventually become subs based on a desire to do/get something only subs have access to.

Right now, there's really no need for more than F2P. The paid content is so limited that I completely understand why casual players wouldn't feel any befit from subscribing.

You mistake my acceptance of people playing the game F2P as wishing they could get more for free. That's not my position.

What I "want" is more reasons to sub. I want more content. I want content that's desirable to pay for. I don't care if people play for free, my hope is they all eventually become subs based on a desire to do/get something only subs have access to.

Right now, there's really no need for more than F2P. The paid content is so limited that I completely understand why casual players wouldn't feel any befit from subscribing.

I have an F2P account. I played it long enough to get a character into the cantina in the Jedi temple on Tython. F2P can't get beyond level 50.

There are a lot of reasons to subscribe. You don't see them because you're a subscriber.

Open an F2P account. Don't send it anything from your main account. Start a character of your favorite class. Let me know how far you get before you give up.

It has to stay F2P. No buying cartel coins.

I have an F2P account. I played it long enough to get a character into the cantina in the Jedi temple on Tython. F2P can't get beyond level 50.

There are a lot of reasons to subscribe. You don't see them because you're a subscriber.

Open an F2P account. Don't send it anything from your main account. Start a character of your favorite class. Let me know how far you get before you give up.

It has to stay F2P. No buying cartel coins.

That doesn't change my point. The content drought we're experiencing is why we're seeing more and more players drop subs. The sub fee atm is unreasonable given the development we're seeing. Bioware isn't giving their customers (potential or current) any reason to stay subbed or start a sub atm. F2P players can see almost as many 55 queue pops as I do...

That doesn't change my point. The content drought we're experiencing is why we're seeing more and more players drop subs. The sub fee atm is unreasonable given the development we're seeing. Bioware isn't giving their customers (potential or current) any reason to stay subbed or start a sub atm. F2P players can see almost as many 55 queue pops as I do...

I agree that the game could use more content. But that's an entirely different problem, and subject, from giving F2P players more for free... which is the topic of this thread, isn't it?

I agree that the game could use more content. But that's an entirely different problem, and subject, from giving F2P players more for free... which is the topic of this thread, isn't it?

The OP was hoping to lift/alter/change some restrictions so the subscribers would benefit. THAT was the topic. Not "I want free stuffz".

Sigh. These threads always end up with bashing F2P players. Which bothers me, as I started as just that. But apparently I'm no longer the "dregs of society" because I subbed.

For the record, I think the restrictions are pretty much spot on. You want extra, you have to pay in some way. But I don't think it's appropriate to bash every single F2P player.

Sigh. These threads always end up with bashing F2P players. Which bothers me, as I started as just that. But apparently I'm no longer the "dregs of society" because I subbed.

For the record, I think the restrictions are pretty much spot on. You want extra, you have to pay in some way. But I don't think it's appropriate to bash every single F2P player.

Please note that only ONE person is calling you names and bashing you (well, the former 'you') ;)

I started lotro as F2P because I found Hobbits freaky and weird. Subbed after 2 months. Started APB as F2P and subbed after a month. There's NOTHING wrong with F2P sucking players in!!!

Sounds like you're the try before you buy sort. If you did read my posts, and by that quote it looks like it, it's not try before you buy that I was "bashing". It's the perpetual "try", never buy. Which is different from bashing every single F2P player.

I'm glad you're cool with the F2P restrictions. Spot on, you say? That's cool. :D

The OP was hoping to lift/alter/change some restrictions so the subscribers would benefit. THAT was the topic. Not "I want free stuffz".

That would be a great business strategy. Keep giving more and more away "for the benefit of subscribers" until there's no longer any real reason to subscribe because you can get virtually everything for free. Then your revenue dries up and you get to lay the team off and shut down the servers.

BRILLIANT! :rolleyes:

Edited by DarthTHC

Please note that only ONE person is calling you names and bashing you (well, the former 'you') ;)

I started lotro as F2P because I found Hobbits freaky and weird. Subbed after 2 months. Started APB as F2P and subbed after a month. There's NOTHING wrong with F2P sucking players in!!!

Thanks. I know it's the minority that say stuff like that. Still annoying lol. I subbed after a couple of days at most - I wanted more than 2 characters. :D

That would be a great business strategy. Keep giving more and more away "for the benefit of subscribers" until there's no longer any real reason to subscribe because you can get virtually everything for free. Then your revenue dries up and you get to lay the team off and shut down the servers.

I was summarizing what the OP was about since you seemed confused on the topic, not what "I" wanted or thought was best.

As I've been stating, the BEST way to achieve what the OP wants is for Bioware to deliver some content. Content fills the queues. Stagnation empties them.

Sounds like you're the try before you buy sort. If you did read my posts, and by that quote it looks like it, it's not try before you buy that I was "bashing". It's the perpetual "try", never buy. Which is different from bashing every single F2P player.

I'm glad you're cool with the F2P restrictions. Spot on, you say? That's cool. :D

I guess I misunderstood then. I understand the frustration aimed at those who want everything for nothing. I feel that way about people who think it's ok to pirate content. I used to play another game where a fan site openly pirated game content, and were extremely proud of that. Of course they also insisted site members "donate" to their site to access that content. :rolleyes:

I was summarizing what the OP was about since you seemed confused on the topic, not what "I" wanted or thought was best.

As I've been stating, the BEST way to achieve what the OP wants is for Bioware to deliver some content. Content fills the queues. Stagnation empties them.

One big thing I would love is a mentor leveling system. I really enjoy playing with some low level players, helping them along, etc. I would love to be able to set myself back to level 20 or 30 and queue for group content. Since I can't it means I am in the position where I am on my 4th version of a few classes, as ridiculous as that sounds.

If it was up to me, I'd do a contest each week for PvP. Make it so that the top five in each class doing random queues gets a big credit prize, same for top dps and heals and such, reward the players for playing their specialties and as a team. It'd be a simple and relatively fun thing and would probably attract more players just for the big prize each week. And each month have a drawing for a random mount or something for the top winners.

If it was up to me, I'd do a contest each week for PvP. Make it so that the top five in each class doing random queues gets a big credit prize, same for top dps and heals and such, reward the players for playing their specialties and as a team. It'd be a simple and relatively fun thing and would probably attract more players just for the big prize each week. And each month have a drawing for a random mount or something for the top winners.

We live in the participation ribbon age. It wouldn't go well for some users.

I started out as f2p a while back, mostly as a friend pointed out the game had gone f2p and let me have a muck about on his account. I subbed after a year of being a freeper as I fancied having a go at the expansion and I wanted some of the more expensive things off the gtn, I bought 2 month time card of eBay for £9, for the most part its been fun but I'm going back to freeper at the end of the month as the unlocks beyond the credit cap and using purple items are of no use to me,.

I detest PvP, tbf I did try and got myself to valor 29 but I was so depressed by that time I didn't just stop playing PvP I stopped playing the game altogether. Ops have been fun as and where I can get into a group but that has been few and far between and from my experience most people doing the ops demand a full working knowledge of all tactics for the ops, something I don't have nor will ever have as having tried it I can't turn the theory behind reading a guide to the skill acquired through repetition

So that's it. I have the mounts and the fancy looking armours I came for,maybe I'll spend some time levelling and learning my new alts, more likely I'll just go play something else, shame I managed to achieve everything I wanted so fast

That's a great idea actually! Even reward them a free Cartel Pack - that they could sell for credits or keep phat lootz!