Would you purchase a "combat speeder?"

Daekarus

OK, so I found out that the Tank from Explosive Conflict is a 90% speeder. Boo. Still, it got me thinking, even if they left the tank as a special mount for those who cleared that Op on nightmare mode, would people want other combat vehicle style mounts? I don't know about everyone else, but I always feel weird with my fully-armored Vanguard, leader of the most elite special forces unit in the Republic, riding around on a floating motorcycle that goes 25mph. She should be riding on some kind of speeder with armor and guns. An Old Republic era Bradley Fighting Vehicle, Jeep, or Humvee... that kind of flavor. Even if it has to be smaller than those (probably a good idea) there is no reason that a smaller vehicle about the width of the average current speeder couldn't be devised that looks Trooper-tough and believable as a transportation asset for the military. Even an armed hover bike would be welcome as long as it had a bit of extra protection and obvious armament.

This is one of the very very few things I would actually seek out specifically to spend Cartel Coins on, because there are really no Trooper-appropriate mounts out there... they all look like my elite special forces soldier borrowed a speeder from some civilian.

Does anybody else like this idea?

Kalakar Strike Figer Simulator? Rendili SF-3?

The SF-3 is OK, but really neither have the right flavor. They're a step in the right direction though. I want to see guns, and a design that reflect the actual speed of the thing. Both of those look like they're designed to go fast. They never will, so let's not pretend anymore, and have the art assets reflect that. A proper military vehicle doesn't need massive engines in the back, it needs armor plating. It doesn't need control surfaces, because it will never go fast enough for those to work - it needs auxiliary thrusters on the sides.

Basically something that doesn't make me giggle at the difference between its design speed and actual speed, and looks like it can both give and take a beating.

I would purchase a faster vehicle, if it was a noticeable increase. I would not like to see mounted combat in any way shape or form other than GSF. Concentrate on that for vehicle based combat.

I agree - no mount combat. I'm talking about looks alone.

I know one shouldn't be surprised by the number of people answering OP without reading anything but the headline.

I've been looking for a speeder with a military look myself. Doesn't have to be a tank type mount, just a speeder with a sidecar with a minigun mounted. Splash some camoflage paintjob on it and were done.

And let me drive the speeder. I dont want to be in the sidecar pretending to be able to use the minigun and have a droid riding the speeder while i pretend the droid and not me is driving.

Both of those look like they're designed to go fast. They never will, so let's not pretend anymore, and have the art assets reflect that.

Dunno about you, but my speeder can cover the range of a sniper rifle in just a few seconds. That sounds pretty fast to me.

(Note: Just pointing out that SWTOR has implied distance compression going on. Distances and speeds are not intended to be realistic, and are set for gameplay purposes rather than as a simulation of an actual physical environment. Seriously: we complain about speeders being slow, but not the fact that I can throw a rock further than my sniper rifle can shoot accurately?)

Dunno about you, but my speeder can cover the range of a sniper rifle in just a few seconds. That sounds pretty fast to me.

(Note: Just pointing out that SWTOR has implied distance compression going on. Distances and speeds are not intended to be realistic, and are set for gameplay purposes rather than as a simulation of an actual physical environment. Seriously: we complain about speeders being slow, but not the fact that I can throw a rock further than my sniper rifle can shoot accurately?)

Distance compression or not, that doesn't mean the fast looking mounts don't look ridiculous going so slowly.

Distance compression or not, that doesn't mean the fast looking mounts don't look ridiculous going so slowly.

At that level of critique, there are loads of things in this game that look ridiculous. It just seems a bit odd to me to pick this one out as something worthy of actual action. Isn't it sillier that a non-military guy (Smuggler) who is dual-wielding pistols has the same range and accuracy as a special-forces-level sniper? Seriously: Dual-wielded pistols. I can't think of a worse choice for long-range battle. Dual-shotguns I guess. That looks far sillier than a speeder which doesn't move fast enough for its sleek look. I know that doesn't really change how speeders look, but I'm just trying to provide some context here.

It's fine that you don't like them and want something different. I totally support that. I just find the justification lacking. Simply saying: "I'd like something different" should be sufficient.

I suppose that would be enough - but the thing that jumps out and grabs my brain every time a speeder goes by is how slow they move and how they look like they should go faster. This isn't an intellectual objection, understand, it's a "that just looks wrong" subconscious thing. I mean, yes, I do want the military style speeders for intellectual reasons, but the speed objection is much more visceral.

I suppose that would be enough - but the thing that jumps out and grabs my brain every time a speeder goes by is how slow they move and how they look like they should go faster.

I like being able to race a dual-jet-engine powered speeder on my Tauntaun ... and win!

SWTOR has starships that are faster than light, and Sith who run faster than hot-rigged speeder bikes.

I try not to think too much about the latter, but when I do, I laugh.

Edited by BuriDogshin