Restrictions.

DynastyMaster

I agree that folks that have paid more than simply 5 bucks, especially prior customers that had a sub for a while should have a different access tier just below sub.

This is the strongest detriment against getting folks that have played in the past to return to the game IMO, and it is an extremely foolish and shortsighted policy.

Just my view.

They do... it's called preferred.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, don't go there TUX...

They have like 5-6 updates out already that add new weapons, cars, apartments, clothes, hairstyles, challenges, quests and all kinds of stuff.

On the other hand, they finance all that by having the game be difficult to get rich in unless you pay for "credit cards" with real money (or use glitches to make money, which is how most people do it, but that's obviously not part of the plan considering how quick they are to nerf missions that people grind to make cash)

Grand Theft Auto V broke industry sales records and became the fastest-selling entertainment product in history, earning US$800 million in its first day and US$1 billion in its first three days. It won year-end accolades, including Game of the Year awards from several gaming publications.

Yeah sure, they need to finance all that stuff by "forcing" players to buy in game cash. :rolleyes: Fact is GTA5 is a good game, that's why it was so successful.

And I already paid money to support this game.

It was clear when you bought it that you were only getting a limited subscription time with your purchase, correct?

"Each copy of Star Wars: The Old Republic will come with 30 days of subscription time, after which you have the option to continue playing with one of the following monthly subscription fees."

You got what you paid for. Now you want more. Well, you got more: you can play free, just not with all the perks.

And you are unhappy about that? The deal was altered in your favor, and you are complaining?

Yeah sure, they need to finance all that stuff by "forcing" players to buy in game cash. :rolleyes: Fact is GTA5 is a good game, that's why it was so successful.

That's the advantage of producing a high quality game. They don't need to milk every player for everything...they can sell their game on the quality of their work, not the suck it out of the remaining players.

How much is a new copy of GTA5? How much is a new copy of SWTOR?

I know ALOT of players who's stopped playing it because it's boring now.

Of course, we don't have any handy subscription numbers to show to everyone how the game is really faring now, but I know at least 3 of the "crews" I've been in have disbanded. Crews with hundreds of players...

Oh and FYI, the sales figures for console games and MMO's are hardly comparable.

I'm not denying its a good game. In fact it's a great game, but it does get repetetive and the players are growing tired of waiting for heists now... It's been almost a year since the game came out and they have promised that "heists are coming soon" pretty much since the launch of online mode...

I paid for this game, and I was probably here long before you. There were no restrictions previously, and I shouldn't be restricted now because they decided to edit their business practices that caused this game to collapse

why is your USER ID # 12 million something? if you pre-ordered the game it would be a much lower number.

also, if you pay your monthly sub, you are not restricted at all. so what are you going on about? you think because you claim to have pre-ordered the game, that means you should be able to play 100% for free, with all the same benefits as subs?

Edited by MiaRB

Wow, how can you go so low to think of that as a joke? That's disgusting. Just because your life is all perfect and fine and dandy doesn't mean everyone else is. Learn some respect son.

If you were serious or had any kind of concern for a real-life friend, I'm fairly sure you wouldn't be wasting your time on a thread such as this.

And unlike some, I speak from experience.

So the OP claims to have been able to make forum threads years ago... and yet, looking at his posting history, there are NO posts before this thread.

Interesting... :rolleyes:

And the "but I used a different account" excuse doesn't work since he claims to still have his old characters, meaning it would have to be this account...

Edited by OddballEasyEight

And you support what they've done to this game? They heavy handed restrictions that force you to pay to play? There's a reason this game is dying, that they were forced to transfer all 7 of my characters and delete my home server. I'm not even allowed to use titles that I earned anymore. I agreed 2 years ago that they were allowed to make any changes they wanted to this game. But that doesn't make what they've done right. Limiting things like vanity items are completely okay, they don't impact gameplay in any way. However, limiting FORUM USE? Restricting players from using an outlet to the rest of the community unless you PAY? It's completely ridiculous.

Almost ALL f2p games require you to pay if you want to post in their forums. Their reason is simple most TROLLS won't pay just to TROLL. Clearly that doesn't stop them all. Some TROLLS like yourself still fork over $15 to TROLL the forums.

Between playing World of Warcraft, this game and RIFT, as well as CoV when it was still around I am on the fence with most "free to play" games.

I don't mind paying money every month for a game when that's the only way to play it(WoW). As I don't think pay to play is dead, and is still the best option.

However among free to play, RIFT has it right. The game is hardly restricted. The biggest thing you face without putting any money into the game is you can't use the Auction House. Which was done to ensure the economy of the servers don't get too wonky.

Outside of that anything you pay for in there store is purely cosmetic and it feels more like you are spending money because you truly want to and not have to. Subscribers get double xp and rep gain as well as other "gifts" because they are paying every month to play and the rewards get better the longer you do. So it really is a reward system.

Swotr doesn't have the worse free to play set up, as it isn't pay to win. But I agree some of the restrictions I found just to be silly, like hiding your head slot. They make it so the game feels like a huge demo and if you want to actually play it you will pay. So it feels more like a shoehorn tactic than anything. And it's one that works.

However, some of things you are complaining about do feel unwarranted because you left the game, surely you heard about it's "declining" state and it going free to play. I don't know what you were expecting, most companies don't reward it's old time customers but the ones who stuck around.

You left the game and came back after two years. That is like if when I came back after a year and *****ed I wasn't entitled to something because I paid for the game and like two months some times ago.

Between playing World of Warcraft, this game and RIFT, as well as CoV when it was still around I am on the fence with most "free to play" games.

I don't mind paying money every month for a game when that's the only way to play it(WoW). As I don't think pay to play is dead, and is still the best option.

However among free to play, RIFT has it right. The game is hardly restricted. The biggest thing you face without putting any money into the game is you can't use the Auction House. Which was done to ensure the economy of the servers don't get too wonky.

Outside of that anything you pay for in there store is purely cosmetic and it feels more like you are spending money because you truly want to and not have to. Subscribers get double xp and rep gain as well as other "gifts" because they are paying every month to play and the rewards get better the longer you do. So it really is a reward system.

Swotr doesn't have the worse free to play set up, as it isn't pay to win. But I agree some of the restrictions I found just to be silly, like hiding your head slot. They make it so the game feels like a huge demo and if you want to actually play it you will pay. So it feels more like a shoehorn tactic than anything. And it's one that works.

However, some of things you are complaining about do feel unwarranted because you left the game, surely you heard about it's "declining" state and it going free to play. I don't know what you were expecting, most companies don't reward it's old time customers but the ones who stuck around.

You left the game and came back after two years. That is like if when I came back after a year and *****ed I wasn't entitled to something because I paid for the game and like two months some times ago.

Also remember that alot of those "silly" restrictions can be unlocked without paying a dime of real money since they can all be traded on the GTN (and are quite frequently)

I know ALOT of players who's stopped playing it because it's boring now.

Of course, we don't have any handy subscription numbers to show to everyone how the game is really faring now, but I know at least 3 of the "crews" I've been in have disbanded. Crews with hundreds of players...

Oh and FYI, the sales figures for console games and MMO's are hardly comparable.

I'm not denying its a good game. In fact it's a great game, but it does get repetetive and the players are growing tired of waiting for heists now... It's been almost a year since the game came out and they have promised that "heists are coming soon" pretty much since the launch of online mode...

I agree. I actually thought heists were there at launch, and I myself stopped playing about 2 months after it was released. I can only imagine what this game would be like if bioware didnt waste so much potential, especially with the big star wars logo on it. The same has happened with ESO, people are starting to get bored of it.

Also remember that alot of those "silly" restrictions can be unlocked without paying a dime of real money since they can all be traded on the GTN (and are quite frequently)

Oh yeah, I bought some server character slots and a unlock for the helm thing. Doesn't mean I fully agree with the practice, and I know games that are much worse. The head slot thing I do find to be the most silly though.

I agree. I actually thought heists were there at launch, and I myself stopped playing about 2 months after it was released. I can only imagine what this game would be like if bioware didnt waste so much potential, especially with the big star wars logo on it. The same has happened with ESO, people are starting to get bored of it.

Because that is the nature of MMO's.

People get bored. Just look at WoW... People flock to it every time there's an expansion but then they leave in droves until the next expansion comes out.

SWTOR is keeping a steady number of players tho. It might not be the biggest game out there, but it is stable (both in subs and in F2P/Preferred that are active players)

Oh yeah, I bought some server character slots and a unlock for the helm thing. Doesn't mean I fully agree with the practice, and I know games that are much worse. The head slot thing I do find to be the most silly though.

Oh yes I agree that some (most) of them are pretty silly. But that's also the thing... they are silly, but not bothersome or restrictive.

The only ones that ARE restrictive are the PvP/FP/OPs restrictions and those are understandable to some degree.

People get bored. Just look at WoW... People flock to it every time there's an expansion but then they leave in droves until the next expansion comes out.

SWTOR is keeping a steady number of players tho. It might not be the biggest game out there, but it is stable (both in subs and in F2P/Preferred that are active players)

Yeah WoW's thing is once you beat the endgame content people either work on alts or quit until the expansion. However, WoW's biggest enemy in my opinion is it's community. I love the game but most the people who play ruin it for others.

There are those who feel otherwise and not only the little people or trolls, so to speak.

Oh yes I agree that some (most) of them are pretty silly. But that's also the thing... they are silly, but not bothersome or restrictive.

The only ones that ARE restrictive are the PvP/FP/OPs restrictions and those are understandable to some degree.

Yeah I get those to a degree to and most of the silly restrictions don't hinder the game in some breaking way and like I said they at least didn't go pay to win, as that for a while was the quick and easy way for games to make money. I bought most my unlocks on the GTN so I can play this almost to it's fullest when I go back to WoW, as I am not so rich I can pay for both; would if I could.

There are those who feel otherwise and not only the little people or trolls, so to speak.

Oh I know there are people who feel otherwise.

But I don't see any proof of it, only feelings.

And those are usually based on what server they play on (especially the PvP servers).

But judging from the in-game population I've seen during this last year, the game is stable. At least on my server (The Progenitor).

And from the impressions of others I know I'd say the same for The Harbinger, The Ebon Hawk, The Shadowlands, The Red Eclipse and the german/french PvE servers.

That pretty much leaves the PvP servers and RP-PvP.

Pot5 seems particularly poor when it comes to the population (both in numbers and in attitude).

And those are usually based on what server they play on (especially the PvP servers).

But judging from the in-game population I've seen during this last year, the game is stable. At least on my server (The Progenitor).

And from the impressions of others I know I'd say the same for The Harbinger, The Ebon Hawk, The Shadowlands, The Red Eclipse and the german/french PvE servers.

Pot5 seems particularly poor when it comes to the population (both in numbers and in attitude).

I can say the opposite for the Red Eclipse.

Three different characters BTW, on both factions; One Powertech, one Guardian and one Vanguard.

When you go for a full week or so waiting more than 20 minutes for GF to pop up when you queue as a Tank, you come to assume that something must be wrong.

There are two possibilities: Either people don't do LV55 HM FP's anymore - and this was before 2.8 - or the player base is declining.

IMHO, it's most likely a mix of the two; If it is, claiming that the player base is steady across the board is an inaccuracy.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I can say the opposite for the Red Eclipse.

Three different characters BTW, on both factions; One Powertech, one Guardian and one Vanguard.

When you go for a full week or so waiting more than 20 minutes for GF to pop up when you queue as a Tank, you come to assume that something must be wrong.

There are two possibilities: Either people don't do LV55 HM FP's anymore - and this was before 2.8 - or the player base is declining.

IMHO, it's most likely a mix of the two.

It also depends alot on how the guilds behave on the server.

It could just be that most players who do HM FP's are part of a guild and do most of that stuff with the guild.

I know that almost nobody in the guilds I'm in do PUGs any more. At all.

It's especially evident since on The Progenitor, I almost never hear of anyone waiting more than 20 minutes for a HM FP in GF... In fact, it becomes a bit of a topic in general chat if someone does have to wait more than that as a healer or tank.

And Progenitor has a lower population than Red Eclipse... I'd estimate about half, judging by the number of fleet instances on average.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

TOFN is definitely declining I'll tell you that.

It also depends alot on how the guilds behave on the server.

It could just be that most players who do HM FP's are part of a guild and do most of that stuff with the guild.

I know that almost nobody in the guilds I'm in do PUGs any more. At all.

Again, I queued as a Tank. On three characters. On both factions.

Until recently, the most I used to wait was around two minutes or so, unless it was really late in the evening.

Claiming or implying that people all over the sudden started to do mostly guild runs of LV55 HM FP's is as unlikely as Steve Jobs descending from the heavens.

TOFN is definitely declining I'll tell you that.

Like I said... PvP server.

I imagine that's because the game wasn't as PvP friendly as many thought at launch and the OW PVP is pretty non existant.

So playing on a PvP server is kind of pointless.

That, in combination with the general disgruntled feeling of many PvP players because Bioware isn't focusing on PvP (rightly so if you ask me, since the game isn't a PvP focused game) has driven off most of the people who joined the PvP servers.

And of course, with dwindling server population comes the inevitable character migrations where people simply switch to a more active server.