The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro or Advanced Prototype for Leveling?

RDeanOU

Been leveling a Powertech and I'm about to hit 30. I've been playing as advanced prototype, but I was looking at the pyro tree and wondering if that would feel more powerful. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about the pros and cons of each spec while leveling?

I appreciate your input.

Been leveling a Powertech and I'm about to hit 30. I've been playing as advanced prototype, but I was looking at the pyro tree and wondering if that would feel more powerful. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about the pros and cons of each spec while leveling?

I appreciate your input.

Personally I don't like AP until you get prototype flamethrower (level 31?), even then the spec really doesn't come together until 45 when you get immolate. BUT if you start each encounter with a fully buffed prototype flamethrower it makes short work of entire groups of enemies.

Pyro pretty much gets the core of it's rotation by 25 with prototype particle accelerator, so you can get a good feel for how it will play later in the game. The only thing is that it is a single target spec and there is a small ramp up time so a lot of your damage, if facing a group of weaker enemies, will be wasted.

tl;dr -- AP for mowing down groups of enemies, Pyro for single people (bosses)

Another spec I liked running for leveling was to go in AP up to retractable blade then go up the tank tree, you end up with jet charge (loads of fun), decent damage, and a lot of durrability if you are running with mako or gault. Just a suggestion.

I appreciate your input.

Until level 25, AP has better damage potential and resource management.

However the second you hit level 25, Pyro gets access to Prototype Particle Accelerator, which brings the whole spec together and makes it really easy to use. AP doesn't get its "glue" skill until level 45 with Immolate.

However, AP does have access to prototype flamethrower which melts away mobs like crazy, though thats not really available until level 31.

Overall, its a personal preference thing. I actually levelled my vanguard to 55 in tank spec, though i'm slowly levelling a powertech, and I chose to go with Pyro for him because I like pyro spec, and its single target damage potential from level 40 onwards is astounding.

Edited by TACeMossie

Another spec I liked running for leveling was to go in AP up to retractable blade then go up the tank tree, you end up with jet charge (loads of fun), decent damage, and a lot of durrability if you are running with mako or gault. Just a suggestion.

I did similar whilst leveling on my Pyro and have now stuck with it at 55, I go up the tank tree to the leap and free flamesweeps then go up Pyro to PPA and the Flamesweep cost reduction and 100% chance to proc CGC (The name eludes me as I can't currently get in with this borked patch). Dailies are easy when you can leap and spam a few flamesweeps, still end up with little to no heat and everything is charred remains on the floor.

Edited by -Sullster-

I did similar whilst leveling on my Pyro and have now stuck with it at 55, I go up the tank tree to the leap and free flamesweeps then go up Pyro to PPA and the Flamesweep cost reduction and 100% chance to proc CGC (The name eludes me as I can't currently get in with this borked patch). Dailies are easy when you can leap and spam a few flamesweeps, still end up with little to no heat and everything is charred remains on the floor.

At 55 you can get the leap and free flame sweeps from the tank tree and prototype flamethrower + auto crit railshot from AP for extremely easy heat management while spamming AoE attacks. That is my spec of choice for sm/(some)hm operations.

The one you posted I like in reg PvP, as well as very specific boss fights (Tyrans, Groby, Brontes)

Jet charge is just too much fun :D

These hybrids you are talking about are they PvP or PvE?. I thought that Hybrids were a thing of the past since Bioware nerfed them to kingdom come.

they are........ the guys above are talking about fun hence them wasting too many points in the tank tree to reach Jet Charge they nerf their dmg and while it may be fun to leap into a pack of weak mobs and do 2 Flame sweeps and kill everything that same thing would be a joke in pvp or againts Bosses

they are........ the guys above are talking about fun hence them wasting too many points in the tank tree to reach Jet Charge they nerf their dmg and while it may be fun to leap into a pack of weak mobs and do 2 Flame sweeps and kill everything that same thing would be a joke in pvp or againts Bosses

They were intended for fun specs you pull out when you're not doing challenging content, but I've actually had decent success with the tank-pyro hybrid in PvP (unranked), you lose some damage but become unkitable between your slows, grapple, charge, oil slick, and hydraulics.

And depending on the hybrid you use, you can stance-dance between ion cylinder and CGC on the fly and be either an adequate dps or an adequate tank (Assuming you have a shield with dps mods) But I would never never take that into ranked, just in regs for funsies.

They were intended for fun specs you pull out when you're not doing challenging content, but I've actually had decent success with the tank-pyro hybrid in PvP (unranked), you lose some damage but become unkitable between your slows, grapple, charge, oil slick, and hydraulics.

And depending on the hybrid you use, you can stance-dance between ion cylinder and CGC on the fly and be either an adequate dps or an adequate tank (Assuming you have a shield with dps mods) But I would never never take that into ranked, just in regs for funsies.

And I don`t judge you for your choices i was only explaining to the user above me since he seemed confused