Old pilot, new character - best first upgrades...?

Now that I have levelled a character from level 1 to 50 with class missions and GSF... I was thinking of doing the same with another.... I was wondering what people would recommend for an experienced pilot - but with a blank canvas? I opted for Scout last time around, as it's my strongest suit. - I'm okay flying most ships, though Gunships I find particularly tricky to do well with.

So - first few upgrades? first crew unlocks? Best reputation earning trick? - I'll probably be playing Imperial side this time around. - I don't have many CCs ATM - should I save up?

Thanks for any help.

What build did you want to go with your scout? I mean generally a good way to go for first upgrades on a scout is 2 in your engine (chosen by you) and then 3 in distortion field (this can be before or after lightweight armor and 1 upgrade in secondaries and systems). I went full defensive on my sting before I started the offensive capabilities. As for crew it depends on what you want for your co-pilot ability. But, I use: Lt. Pierce for concentrated fire, your other choice is using jaesa for good passives (comparable to qyzen), Vector always, Salana Rok (wingman if you want to use Jaesa), and 2V-R8. That's just my way of doing the scout. I'm sure people will disagree and some will agree. But, goodluck on your new toon, hope this helps.

We're getting two brand new ship variants on Tuesday, the third Gunship and the third Bomber. Both combine a splash of their base class with a more Strike-like dogfighter focus. You'll need Fleet Requisition for them though.

Alternatively, the first Strike is pretty hard to kill, especially if you combine Directional Shield and Turbo Reactor with a Defense crew member who gives +shield capacity and +regen.

Then for weapons, you get a bunch of choices. Ions, HLC's, Rapids, Quads, Cluster Missiles, Concussion Missiles, Proton Torpedoes, etc. It's a great and versatile ship.

Alternatively, the first Strike is pretty hard to kill, especially if you combine Directional Shield and Turbo Reactor with a Defense crew member who gives +shield capacity and +regen.

This build has fallen deeply out of favor with me. The quick-charge build features a similar regen profile for the price of only 20% base shield strength (directional ends up with 120% base, quick-charge ends up with 100% base), and in return provides truly enormous mobility boosts from day 1.

The last scout ( now mastered) was built around quick-capping and harrassment.... So speed and evasion.... A nifty support for peeling ships off nodes, quick backup of falling nodes and sneaking up on gunships. - whizzing around eating up the powerups and 'tanking' on Deathmatch. - leading the opposition into the teeth of my allies. - Though on the Progenitor there is rarely more than 1 gunship fielded on Rep side at the times I normally play- lunchtimes and late evenings.

Thanks so much for the advice... any other alternatives to fast+evasion that work well at start?

This build has fallen deeply out of favor with me. The quick-charge build features a similar regen profile for the price of only 20% base shield strength (directional ends up with 120% base, quick-charge ends up with 100% base), and in return provides truly enormous mobility boosts from day 1.

How are you figuring the capacity difference at 20%? It's 40%, isn't it? Quick Charge shield suffers a capacity penalty of 30% (DF is the one with a penalty of 20%). Directional then has a bonus 10% in its Tier 2 upgrade.

Also, are you talking about QC with Turbo or Regen?

I fly a Directional/Turbo on Impside, and a QC/Regen on pubside. Both work all right, but I vastly prefer the DS/Turbo build. Being able to angle shields forward lets me win a lot of jousts I couldn't win with QC. And being able to angle shields backward lets me linger to finish off a kill even while someone is on my own tail. And most of all, being able to redirect shield energy to a side that is low basically means I have on-demand regen-to-full for a single arc (and most of the time damage is only coming from one direction). It definitely takes practice, but it is very powerful.

With QC/Regen, I'm only regaining 40.5 shields per second in the first 6 seconds of being hit (for a total of 243).

With QC/Turbo, I'm regaining 34.5 per second for 2.4 seconds, then 157.5 per second for 3.6 seconds (for a total o 649.8). Hmm, I didn't realize this combo outclasses QC/Regen so dramatically. I need to change my pubside Strike! I assumed Regen was meant to synergize with QC, but it's pretty terribad.

With DS/Turbo, I' m refilling 0 for 1.2 seconds, then 103.5 for 4.8 seconds (for a total of 496.8).

Doing some math, I reach the conclusion that QC/Turbo surpasses DS/Turbo after 3.17 seconds have passed since the last damage was dealt. Does that match your numbers Kuci?

I'm curious if that time of intersection is the same if both shields have power diverted to them. If I recall correctly, diverting power to shields increases regen by 50%. I wonder if that is multiplied across all regen bonuses, or only the base regen. My money is on the latter, given how the rest of the game works.

In that case, with power diverted to shields, DS/Turbo regens at 148.5, and QC regenerates at 49.5/202.5. The same math puts their intersection point at 3.50 seconds. Though that's assuming power diversion affects shield regen in the way I think it does.

Either way, the choice between the two shields is interesting. I still think I prefer Directional for the added capacity. 40% on a Strike is the difference between 1440 per arc and 2160 per arc, which helps blunt burst damage from BLC's and railguns.

Not to mention the ability to stack capacity on one side, letting me win jousts, or to quickly bolster a weak side. I also feel like in those moments when I'm under pressure and really worry about my shield strength, I'm taking hits more often than every 3.17 (or 3.5) seconds.

Edited by Nemarus

How are you figuring the capacity difference at 20%? It's 40%, isn't it? Quick Charge shield suffers a capacity penalty of 30% (DF is the one with a penalty of 20%). Directional then has a bonus 10% in its Tier 2 upgrade.

Also, are you talking about QC with Turbo or Regen?

I fly a Directional/Turbo on Impside, and a QC/Regen on pubside. Both work all right, but I vastly prefer the DS/Turbo build. Being able to angle shields forward lets me win a lot of jousts I couldn't win with QC. And being able to angle shields backward lets me linger to finish off a kill even while someone is on my own tail. And most of all, being able to redirect shield energy to a side that is low basically means I have on-demand regen-to-full for a single arc (and most of the time damage is only coming from one direction). It definitely takes practice, but it is very powerful.

With QC/Regen, I'm only regaining 40.5 shields per second in the first 6 seconds of being hit (for a total of 243).

With QC/Turbo, I'm regaining 34.5 per second for 2.4 seconds, then 157.5 per second for 3.6 seconds (for a total o 649.8). Hmm, I didn't realize this combo outclasses QC/Regen so dramatically. I need to change my pubside Strike! I assumed Regen was meant to synergize with QC, but it's pretty terribad.

With DS/Turbo, I' m refilling 0 for 1.2 seconds, then 103.5 for 4.8 seconds (for a total of 496.8).

Doing some math, I reach the conclusion that QC/Turbo surpasses DS/Turbo after 3.17 seconds have passed since the last damage was dealt. Does that match your numbers Kuci?

I'm curious if that time of intersection is the same if both shields have power diverted to them. If I recall correctly, diverting power to shields increases regen by 50%. I wonder if that is multiplied across all regen bonuses, or only the base regen. My money is on the latter, given how the rest of the game works.

In that case, with power diverted to shields, DS/Turbo regens at 148.5, and QC regenerates at 49.5/202.5. The same math puts their intersection point at 3.50 seconds. Though that's assuming power diversion affects shield regen in the way I think it does.

Either way, the choice between the two shields is interesting. I still think I prefer Directional for the added capacity. 40% on a Strike is the difference between 1440 per arc and 2160 per arc, which helps blunt burst damage from BLC's and railguns.

Not to mention the ability to stack capacity on one side, letting me win jousts, or to quickly bolster a weak side. I also feel like in those moments when I'm under pressure and really worry about my shield strength, I'm taking hits more often than every 3.17 (or 3.5) seconds.

I think he might be talking about Quick Charge with Large Reactor which honestly I find much better then quick charge with any other reactor type.

but basic principle is the same. If you are an old player and wondering what to upgrade first. IE you have played a while before and already know how most everything works. You know what kind of shield already works for you. The first thing to do is get the engine upgrades then upgrade shields your preference on which type of shields and which type of engines then minor components like Thrusters and Reactor/armor and potentially magazine as these are both cheap and add a lot of QoL for little. Bassically a lot of bang for a little buck.

Edited by tunewalker

I think he might be talking about Quick Charge with Large Reactor which honestly I find much better then quick charge with any other reactor type.

but basic principle is the same. If you are an old player and wondering what to upgrade first. IE you have played a while before and already know how most everything works. You know what kind of shield already works for you. The first thing to do is get the engine upgrades then upgrade shields your preference on which type of shields and which type of engines then minor components like Thrusters and Reactor/armor and potentially magazine as these are both cheap and add a lot of QoL for little. Bassically a lot of bang for a little buck.

A QC/Large combo would have an even worse regen profile than QC/Regen... with pitiful regen for 6 seconds after being hit. I can't imagine that's even remotely viable.

As for new player purchases, if you are using any missiles, make sure to buy the T1 or T2 upgrade which reduces lock-on time.

A QC/Large combo would have an even worse regen profile than QC/Regen... with pitiful regen for 6 seconds after being hit. I can't imagine that's even remotely viable.

As for new player purchases, if you are using any missiles, make sure to buy the T1 or T2 upgrade which reduces lock-on time.

Then you fail to understand the purpose of Large. Obviously its going to have a worse regen profile then quick+ regen, thats kind of the point of Quick + regen, but with a large your shields will actually last long enough that you get to point of actually regenning.

I Dont really want to waste my time explaining how its a good combination with the way burst damage is in this game. Just suffice to say dont knock it till you try it and remember to switch power to shields when head to heading some one that is full health for very strong front shields. (Power to shields gives +20% shield capacity, when power is to anything else it is -10%, if you are facing some one with power to weapons their shields will be -10% and yours will be +20%, their Damage will be +10% yours will only be -5%, and with 60% of your shields regening all the time as long as equal time is spent on each other and secondary weapons are not accounted for you will come out on top)

IE fully upgraded shield strength is 1800, power to shields its 2160, on use ability brings back 35% of 1800 or 630 so total frontal AND rear shield strength is 2790

Double front shields with Direction with recharge emphasis is 2160 +20% or 2592. This is regardless of power setting of course since redistributing the arc does not allow the shields to actually go above the +20% that the power supply has (think of it as putting power to shields on but only on one arc but taking it away from the other arc thats how Directional works.) Of course if you use large with Directional then you are talking about it becoming equal to recharge in strength, advantage though of course is that you can do so with power to weapons or engines allowing for more damage or faster movement. Disadvantage being one arc is exposed AND regen is slower as well as your engines dont regen as fast a quick charges any way thanks to its bonus engine regen thus being in power to engines when he is in power to shields just evens you out for engine strength.

Edited by tunewalker

Then you fail to understand the purpose of Large. Obviously its going to have a worse regen profile then quick+ regen, thats kind of the point of Quick + regen, but with a large your shields will actually last long enough that you get to point of actually regenning.

I Dont really want to waste my time explaining how its a good combination with the way burst damage is in this game. Just suffice to say dont knock it till you try it and remember to switch power to shields when head to heading some one that is full health for very strong front shields. (Power to shields gives +20% shield capacity, when power is to anything else it is -10%, if you are facing some one with power to weapons their shields will be -10% and yours will be +20%, their Damage will be +10% yours will only be -5%, and with 60% of your shields regening all the time as long as equal time is spent on each other and secondary weapons are not accounted for you will come out on top)

IE fully upgraded shield strength is 1800, power to shields its 2160, on use ability brings back 35% of 1800 or 630 so total frontal AND rear shield strength is 2790

Double front shields with Direction with recharge emphasis is 2160 +20% or 2592. This is regardless of power setting of course since redistributing the arc does not allow the shields to actually go above the +20% that the power supply has (think of it as putting power to shields on but only on one arc but taking it away from the other arc thats how Directional works.) Of course if you use large with Directional then you are talking about it becoming equal to recharge in strength, advantage though of course is that you can do so with power to weapons or engines allowing for more damage or faster movement. Disadvantage being one arc is exposed AND regen is slower as well as your engines dont regen as fast a quick charges any way thanks to its bonus engine regen thus being in power to engines when he is in power to shields just evens you out for engine strength.

If capacity is your goal, Directional / Large is the way to go. If regen speed under 3 seconds is your goal, then Directional / Turbo is optimal. If regen speed over 3 seconds is your goal, then Quick Charge / Turbo is best.

But I cannot see any point in taking Quick Charge with Large or Regeneration reactor. With Quick Charge you are sacrificing capacity for regeneration speed--but if that regeneration speed doesn't really kick in until after 6 seconds, it isn't viable on my opinion.

If capacity is your goal, Directional / Large is the way to go. If regen speed under 3 seconds is your goal, then Directional / Turbo is optimal. If regen speed over 3 seconds is your goal, then Quick Charge / Turbo is best.

But I cannot see any point in taking Quick Charge with Large or Regeneration reactor. With Quick Charge you are sacrificing capacity for regeneration speed--but if that regeneration speed doesn't really kick in until after 6 seconds, it isn't viable on my opinion.

check the final upgrade, 60% of your regen happens 100% of the time. Quick Charge with Large vs Direction with large the Quick charge has the same regen rate starting at 0 seconds as the Directional has starting at 3 and starting at 6 having massively higher regen. When power is set to shields and you use the quick charge on use ability your frontal or your back shields have the same capacity as the directionals set to either front or back while simultaneously having better engine regen.

The disadvantage is that you have to use the on use ability for quick charge to make it that equal AND you will do slightly less damage with power to shields, but of course have better coverage in this process. Also since you need that on use ability if they hit you harder then your shields can with stand (ussually happens when your power ISNT to shields) then the other shield would have been better.

Essentially there is a reason (if you dont have it for example GS can one shot your shields thus your pretty much die very quickly to them) if you take large amounts of burst damage it wont help that you regen faster after 3 seconds, you wont live long enough to reach that 3 second mark. Essentially there is a reason, It can be optimal it requires different tactics. I am not saying yours doesnt work I am just saying that against a gunship using Railguns you are far more vulnerable then a Large reactor build. Essentially there are pros and cons to both. Just as there are pros and cons to using directional over quick charge or vice versa.

Just want every to be clear on that.

Edit: but all of this is pointless he is an old pilot, he already has his preference of shield thus preference of play style. If he was brand new I would likely suggest directional as they are more forgiving for new pilots since they dont need to remember to hit their shield ability and still have decent strength shields. Though I would still recommend Large reactor as the difference between starting to regen with Turbo and starting to regen with just large when you have directionals is a whole 1.4 seconds and honestly if you arent going to be hit for 1.6 seconds its very rare that you find yourself being hit in the next 3 seconds after that so the capacity just ends up feeling more important to me any way. And bassically you would have to find yourself in that situation MULTIPLE times in a match before the regen even came close to over coming the capacity.

Edited by tunewalker

Directional gets combined with Turbo, QC gets combined with Large. (Not regen, that's ridiculous).

... No? You're regaining 94.5 shields per second. Big difference.

No, because I have absolutely no idea where you pulled the 40.5 number from. I got 94.5 by taking my listed shield regen rate (157.5) and multiplying by 0.6.

I recall that all of the multipliers from power settings are of base - so they are multiplicative with gear bonuses (makes life easier). That means there is a small interaction effect due to the 1.2s lockout on directional, but it's not significant. What is significant is that QC has, over 6 seconds, just about the same regen as directional over almost any time period (with a minor advantage in the first 1.2s that very slowly erodes, though never to 0), AND gives you infinite thrusters*.

*exaggeration

Edited by Kuciwalker

think tune is right but I'll just leave numbers here.

Summary: Large outperforms turbo for almost every real scenario.

For these numbers: I'm using all mastered components, and we're using the +10% shield / +15% regeneration crewmember. I generally recommend the +10% shield / +5% evasion crewmember.

I assume you take the "60% regeneration under fire". I know this isn't universally selected, but I'm going to go ahead and assume it. I ALSO assume that this is 60% of your actual current rate, and not just set to 60% of base. The regen under fire seems substantially better than merely 54 / sec, so I'm assuming this.

Outside of that one likely exception, please remember that the base strike fighter shields are 1800. This means if something says "10% shield" it means 180 shield.

Quick Charge Shield + Large Reactor:

F4 Shields: 1800

F1/F3 Shields: 1620

F2 Shields: 2160

F4 Regen: 157.5 / sec (under fire 94.5)

F1/F3 Regen: 135 / sec (under fire 81)

F2 Regen: 202.5 / sec (under fire 121.5)

With Quick Charge and Large, you regenerate at a lower rate for six seconds after taking fire to a specific arc.

The "on use" ability is always 540, for an unmastered, mastered, whatever. It's always 540 shield to both arcs. If you forgo the 60% regen, it's a 20 second cooldown instead of 30. With the left talent and with F1/F3 mode, it takes about 7 seconds to catch up with a use of the 2 button when under fire, so you'll definitely regenerate more under fire- that combined with the fact that you are simply much stronger in the short term as well if you have the 60% regeneration. Walk into a scenario where you are getting back shield strength AND can press 2 and you are in pretty decent shape. Go in with the ability to press 2 and that's it, with the consolation that it will be up in 20 instead of 30, and you are getting back less over time and also less right now.

Ok on to the races:

Quick Charge Shield + Turbo Reactor:

F4 Shields: 1440

F1/F3 Shields: 1260

F2 Shields: 1800

F4 Regen: 157.5 / sec (under fire 94.5)

F1/F3 Regen: 135 / sec (under fire 81)

F2 Regen: 202.5 / sec (under fire 121.5)

With Quick Charge and Turbo, you regenerate at a slower rate for 3 seconds after taking damage.

F1 and F3 are pretty common to cruise around with. This means you'll have 1620 on a shield arc with large reactor, and 1260 with turbo. Let us assume an optimal case for the turbo reactor- you take a moderate amount of damage every six seconds (we'll model this as 400). This prevents the regular reactor from EVER getting up to full speed. We'll also assume that you are hit for, say 900 initially.

After the hit, large has 720, turbo has 360. Three seconds in, both have regenerated 243- large is at 963, turbo at 603. The next three seconds in, turbo helps- you get back more. At the end of six seconds, large is at 1206, and turbo is at 1008.

Without that second hit right at the six second mark, turbo will never catch large. But lets assume it happens:

Large is hit down to 806, turbo down to 606. Three seconds in, both regenerate another 243, bringing large to 1049 and turbo to 849. Three MORE seconds of regen brings large to 1292, and turbo to 1254.

Now lets assume you get hit YET AGAIN. At this point, the hits are timed PERFECTLY such that large reactor never gets a single tick at its full regeneration, yet turbo always does. If the shots were closer together, turbo would never get a chance to help much at all- you'd have very little time on either in the regeneration range. If the shots were farther apart, large would regenerate at the full rate, and turbo's would be giving no advantage.

So anyway, the third volley comes in, perfectly timed, taking both shields down 400 again. Three seconds later, large is still ahead of turbo: 1135 to 1097. But now turbo FINALLY gets to shine, and after three more seconds the values are 1378 to 1502. Turbo pulls ahead.

Oh wait, actually the score is 1378 to 1360, because 1360 is the max of quick charge shields under F1/F3. If the initial hit or periodic hits had been slightly harder, then the turbo would have finally pulled ahead. But not MUCH harder, because then large would be winning and turbo would leave you with hull damage.

Even when I try to come up with a situation where turbo wins, it doesn't really win, because turbo is simply not that good.

You have to be:

1)- Initially not hit enough to break into your hull. With 1260 as your shield arc, that's hard. 1620 is much better. Would F2 help here? Of course, but I'd still prefer 2160 over 1800 shields. This is important- a strike fighter with quick charge shields and turbo reactor set to F2 has 1800 shields, and a strike fighter with large reactor and F1 or F3 has 1620 shields. You get a LOT out of F1 and F3!

2)- Not struck repeatedly. If you are hammered once a second for several seconds and then leave the area or kill the threat, then large reactor is superior- you'll have either more shields or more hull after this.

3)- Not just struck once. If you take an initial hit and then duck away, large won't even be behind after just one go- those three seconds aren't enough.

4)- Not struck to your hull. If you take a large enough amount to strip your shield entirely, you might think that turbo is helpful, because while regeneration is identical for three seconds, from seconds three to six turbo is helping, and after six seconds you DEFINITELY have a stronger shield with turbo- after all, both started at 0. But there's a cost: large is a bigger shield. That means you definitely took hull damage. So while your shield at second 6 is stronger, your hull has been more damaged since the initial case.

It requires VERY carefully contrived situations for turbo to help. This is because turbo's only strength is to give greater regen during seconds 3 to 6 after being struck. From seconds 0 to 3, regen is the same (poor or off). From seconds 6 to whatever, regen is the same (good).

I'll also address the fact that F2 can shift the tide over to turbo reactor a bit faster, because all the values are higher. This is true, but the core issue doesn't change much- it still requires a very contrived situation.

Regeneration reactor also takes a very long time to kick in.

Oh, and how much shields does this guy get with directional?

Directional Shield + Large Reactor:

F4 Shields: 2520

F1/F3 Shields: 2340

F2 Shields: 2880

F4 Regen: 103.5 / sec

F1/F3 Regen: 81 / sec

F2 Regen: 148.5 / sec

And Directional and Turbo?

F4 Shields: 2160

F1/F3 Shields: 1980

F2 Shields: 2520

With the same regen numbers.

Ok, but hey, with the left talent I'm at 3 seconds until regen starts with large, but only 1.2 with turbo. How does that work out?

If you take damage you aren't regenerating at all with either. If you regenerate from second 1.2 to second 3, even with F2 on, you've regained 267.3. That needs to happen twice to be beating large. If you had F1/F3 on instead, three times.

HOWEVER- Unlike in the Quick Charge case, I actually see situations like this happen sometimes. You can be taking shots every 1 to 4 seconds for a little while, which could make the turbo worth it. I still recommend large.

Just one correction Verain. The on use ability for quick charge does 30% shields BEFORE upgrades. The first upgrade actually makes that 36% so its closer to 630 shields gained from the on use rather then 540. :D

Also obviously the "120%" per arc number for directionals is the same strength directionals have if you "double forward" or "Double rear" as the shields dont have a "higher then blue" setting.

Also just as easily as turbo can turn the tide faster being in Shield power, Large can increase the gap by doing so as well, as you so demonstrated with your original numbers. Just wanted to clarify that for some.

I think I see where you got your 40.5 number: dulfy gives an obviously wrong answer on the build calculator.

Yep. That's it. I was distracted at work and didn't bother to realize that 60% of even 90 is bigger than 40 :p

I could have saved you a lot of trouble, Verain. It is already established that Turbo is worse than Large under normal conditions (the only exception is Directional). QC's capstone ability is deeply anti-synergistic with Turbo. Ergo you don't use Turbo.

As for Regen vs. Large, 1) we already know regen is pretty crappy, though there IS some synergy, 2) any shield with a penalty to shield strength LOVES Large, LOVES LOVES LOVES because it's additive. Ergo you pick Large.

Regeneration is easier to see when it wins and loses at least, but it's also not the right call.

Large in F1/F3 Mode: 1620 shields, regen 135, 81 under fire

Regen in F1/F3 Mode: 1260 shields, regen 153, 91.8 under fire.

So it becomes clear that you start 360 ahead, and if you are under fire regeneration first ties large reactor after 33 seconds under fire, closing in on 20 seconds if you can spend that time in max regen.

F2 doesn't change these times- your delta is always 360 intitially, because that is what large gives you, the difference between your regeneration is always 18, because that is what regeneration gives you. 18/sec takes a VERY long time to catch 360, and if you are under constant fire for 20-30 seconds you're just dead. Note I don't mean "people were shooting you for 20 seconds". That can totally happen. I mean, taking damage over that time.

F2 doesn't change these times- your delta is always 360 intitially, because that is what large gives you, the difference between your regeneration is always 18, because that is what regeneration gives you. 18/sec takes a VERY long time to catch 360, and if you are under constant fire for 20-30 seconds you're just dead. Note I don't mean "people were shooting you for 20 seconds". That can totally happen. I mean, taking damage over that time.

This isn't quite right, although the conclusion is correct. F2 applies multiplicatively with shield strength and regen, so if your standard practice is to hit F2 after the first time you take a hit, that would change the math.

(Regen still sucks though.)

Why do you claim that? The devs have claimed it is percent of base, and I've seen nothing to dispute that.

F2 applies additively. Likewise, the F1/F3 penalties are applied additively.

If it's multiplicative, then it's either a bug or the devs misspoke.

Why do you claim that? The devs have claimed it is percent of base, and I've seen nothing to dispute that.

F2 applies additively. Likewise, the F1/F3 penalties are applied additively.

If it's multiplicative, then it's either a bug or the devs misspoke.

Please source your dev claim. Are you referring to this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7295894#post7295894? It doesn't actually address that issue. Or are you referring to this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7330058#post7330058? I'd count that as circumstantial evidence, but I still have a fairly strong prior that F1/2/3 are multiplicative. If they were not, optimal power settings could vary a lot based on your build's static modifiers.

I'm modestly certain that percentages are applied additively.

My source- looking at the information on the launch panel while having multiple +x% increasers doesn't result in an odd number. In particular, I'm looking at Ensign Temple while having Power Thrusters equipped, and Booster Recharge with +capacity; I'm sitting on 140 power capacity, and removing these components takes off 10%/20%/10% respectively.

Of course, the UI is known for stretching the truth.

oh wait you guys are talking about power distribution. don't mind me, i haven't had coffee yet

Edited by LilSaihah

Please source your dev claim.

You seem to have done that for me.

The devs state right there " It's safe to assume when it comes to shields, we'll base everything off of the base value. "

I'm pretty sure F1/F2/F3 don't multiply, and the devs gave the numbers as percent of base. I would imagine if such a thing was the only multiplier, that this would have been pointed out.

I *could* be wrong, but it would be the only percent boost or decrement that works differently. I'm not buying it. More importantly, you should DEFINITELY not be stating the contrary as fact- you have no evidence, and the rest of the game doesn't work that way.