[PvP] Specialization advice needed

tweetlek

I created a shadow with PvP in mind. Having leveled a sage to 55, I was looking for more of a melee based experience (also, I was sold on the double-bladed saber) and was told my choices are either Infiltration or Kinetic Combat. I'd like get some advice as to what to expect as a shadow in the 55 pvp scene so I can specialize my character as such learning the playstyle as I level. I do enjoy the stealthy assassin feel but if the tank tree is generally more effective in pvp, I would enjoy it more in the long run.

Appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
I created a shadow with PvP in mind. Having leveled a sage to 55, I was looking for more of a melee based experience (also, I was sold on the double-bladed saber) and was told my choices are either Infiltration or Kinetic Combat. I'd like get some advice as to what to expect as a shadow in the 55 pvp scene so I can specialize my character as such learning the playstyle as I level. I do enjoy the stealthy assassin feel but if the tank tree is generally more effective in pvp, I would enjoy it more in the long run.

Appreciate it.

you can't compare a tank vs dps build but try infiltration, is awesome

Appreciate it.

Honestly, the tank tree isn't that great in PvP, if you go full tank. Only a tiny portion of the damage can be defended against, and a large portion of it can't be shielded: a Shadow's 2 biggest defense mechanisms. Our armor is significantly lower than the other two tanks, and we take a lot of damage in PvP, without having a whole lot to offer the team back. With the dps race going on, it's getting harder and harder for healers to heal through focused fire, and a 30% damage reduction doesn't help enough. And before you go on about guarding, they can simply choose to tunnel you, because they can just burn through your cooldowns. All tanks are in a bad place in PvP right now, and Shadow tanks are in, arguably, the worst.

People telling you that Balance isn't an option are thinking of pre 2.8 Balance, probably. It's probably still not quite as good as Infiltration, but it can now produce massive sustained damage and pressure, and still has some burst, too. It's no longer completely obsolete like it used to be.

Personally, I'd go for Infiltration for dps. The burst is stupid, especially once you get to the mid 40s, and sustained isn't too bad (force management blows though, but that goes for either DPS specc from what I hear.) Balance shadows are now doing better in pvp, but I haven't tried it since the buff - the balance play style feels real clunky to me.

If you wanted to go the tanking route, the reason it isn't as "viable" as the other two classes is because Shadow tanks have no self heal (Enure + Focused Defense for Guards and Adrenaline Rush + Shoulder Rockets for Vans). That said, they're still decent enough (particularly with a healer sitting in your phasewalk) and the force pull comes in handy in Huttball and things like that :)

Personally, I'd go for Infiltration for dps. The burst is stupid, especially once you get to the mid 40s, and sustained isn't too bad (force management blows though, but that goes for either DPS specc from what I hear.) Balance shadows are now doing better in pvp, but I haven't tried it since the buff - the balance play style feels real clunky to me.

If you wanted to go the tanking route, the reason it isn't as "viable" as the other two classes is because Shadow tanks have no self heal (Enure + Focused Defense for Guards and Adrenaline Rush + Shoulder Rockets for Vans). That said, they're still decent enough (particularly with a healer sitting in your phasewalk) and the force pull comes in handy in Huttball and things like that :)

The self heal only factors into 1 v 1s, really. Anything more than one person bursting on you is going to completely outdo any non-ridiculous self heals you have, e.g. Adrenaline Rush and Focused Defense, and those are defensive cooldowns on long timers. We struggle as tanks because of what I said: the devaluation of shield and defense as defensive stats in PvP, and since Shadows are the mitigation tanks, it hurts us the most.

The only real viable spec for PvP now is Balance, Infiltration pales in comparison. literally the only thing that Infiltration can do over Balance is well, nothing... Balance has better Burst because of Spinning Strike, and it has lightyears better sustained.

The only real viable spec for PvP now is Balance, Infiltration pales in comparison. literally the only thing that Infiltration can do over Balance is well, nothing... Balance has better Burst because of Spinning Strike, and it has lightyears better sustained.

It really doesn't have better burst. Yes, Spinning Strike hits hard, but you still need a good 4.5 seconds of mostly non-burst damage before you can hit it. Your burst as Balance is literally: Force in Balance -> Spinning Strike. Infiltration still has Spinning Kick -> Shadow Strike -> Force Breach -> Project -> Shadow Strike as an opener. Having 1 hard hitting move in a sustained rotation in no way beats Infiltration's burst.

It really doesn't have better burst. Yes, Spinning Strike hits hard, but you still need a good 4.5 seconds of mostly non-burst damage before you can hit it. Your burst as Balance is literally: Force in Balance -> Spinning Strike. Infiltration still has Spinning Kick -> Shadow Strike -> Force Breach -> Project -> Shadow Strike as an opener. Having 1 hard hitting move in a sustained rotation in no way beats Infiltration's burst.

best opener for infiltration is LW>MC>FP+FB>PRJ>etc