HELP! My RL wingman friend is Red/Green COLORBLIND

Slinktress

Friendly vs. enemy being green vs. red is something Bioware refuses to change according to his many petitions, SO... can you pilots tell me some of the other hints to determine hostile targets/situations? This kind of red/green colorblindness makes both of those colors look equally yellow-grey.

The biggest issue is BOMBS. I wish they would have Imperial vs. Republic symbol shapes, but is there some detail we're missing? They all look like round circles with a flashing bubble of green or red to me.

I already told him that the scoreboard triangles turn upside down when enemy captures an objective, and this is the type of hint we're looking for.

Fortunately enemy ships all have a broken square, so that's OK. BUT, what about the satellites that just turn color with no other obvious effects until it starts shooting? Sometimes in a dogfight it's hard to check the map or coordinate what letter you're at with the scoreboard, but if that's all we got...

When we spawn, I have to tell him on voice chat which node on the map has the green arrows vs. the red ones :(

I wish since ALL GSF pvp is Imp vs. Pub that they would add on the field symbols (DEV NOTE)

BTW, this game doesn't even meet government standards for impairments, and that is kind of shameful :o I can't believe LucasArts lets this issue slide.

Edited by Slinktress

Friendly vs. enemy being green vs. red is something Bioware refuses to change according to his many petitions, SO... can you pilots tell me some of the other hints to determine hostile targets/situations? This kind of red/green colorblindness makes both of those colors look equally yellow-grey.

The biggest issue is BOMBS. I wish they would have Imperial vs. Republic symbol shapes, but is there some detail we're missing? They all look like round circles with a flashing bubble of green or red to me.

I already told him that the scoreboard triangles turn upside down when enemy captures an objective, and this is the type of hint we're looking for.

Fortunately enemy ships all have a broken square, so that's OK. BUT, what about the satellites that just turn color with no other obvious effects until it starts shooting? Sometimes in a dogfight it's hard to check the map or coordinate what letter you're at with the scoreboard, but if that's all we got...

The fastest answer is to adjust the monitor settings so that the boxes are different colors. -bp

Honestly, I rarely look at what color the ACTUAL satellite is changing to/from in order to make my decision to go there or not. It's just not a decision that I go through. If it's changing, and I'm not doing anything or have somewhere to go, I go there to help out, regardless. The reason is simple. If there are no friendlies there, you can bet it's changing from your color to theirs. The direction of the colors suggest how far along it is. Going down means it hasn't changed that much... going up means it's almost done - no matter what color it is. Make the choice on what to do knowing that and move on.

I am red/green colorblind and while there are some things in the game I have issues with(I'm looking at you 4-color core part of TFB), I've not had any issues in GSF, you can't target friendly mines, and honestly this person would be the first colorblind person I've heard of who has issues with colors that are that far apart from each other. Edited by Karlbadmanners

I'm R/G colour blind, my biggest problem is that the targeting reticle (red) dissapears to my eyes over some backgrounds. All i want is to be able to change the colour of that. I've learn't to try and guess where it is, that works about 20% of the time. I just suffer through it for the most part.

I am red/green colorblind and while there are some things in the game I have issues with(I'm looking at you 4-color core part of TFB), I've not had any issues in GSF, you can't target friendly mines, and honestly this person would be the first colorblind person I've heard of who has issues with colors that are that far apart from each other.

There is a whole spectrum of colorblindness. His is likely as bad as it gets.

Targeting enemy mines isn't as highlighted as when you target a pilot. Randomly shooting mines to see if they're friendly or not could waste energy/ammo. But, you do have a point... the situation is doable, but am looking for some hope from the devs to upgrade the graphics to include symbols or other hints and ideas that we may not have noticed yet.

Thank you for the reply and best of luck to you!

I'm R/G colour blind, my biggest problem is that the targeting reticle (red) dissapears to my eyes over some backgrounds. All i want is to be able to change the colour of that. I've learn't to try and guess where it is, that works about 20% of the time. I just suffer through it for the most part.

Oh, right! I saw the simulation graphics they have around the net, and I can see your point! Especially if the structure is grey in color :( My friend had not complained about that directly yet, just he finds the whole game difficult for someone colorblind in general.

Thank you for your input, and I really hope they find some improvements soon.

Fly safe!

There is a whole spectrum of colorblindness. His is likely as bad as it gets.

Targeting enemy mines isn't as highlighted as when you target a pilot. Randomly shooting mines to see if they're friendly or not could waste energy/ammo. But, you do have a point... the situation is doable, but am looking for some hope from the devs to upgrade the graphics to include symbols or other hints and ideas that we may not have noticed yet.

Thank you for the reply and best of luck to you!

...like, maybe, I dunno, changing the colors manually?

No, really, that'll do the trick immediately. If he can't see a certain color, change the freakin' color.

No one ever remembers Occam. -bp

...like, maybe, I dunno, changing the colors manually?

No, really, that'll do the trick immediately. If he can't see a certain color, change the freakin' color.

No one ever remembers Occam. -bp

It's very much not that simple.

Without going too much into it (there's several degrees and two types of red/green colorblindness, and other types that are way less common besides that one), it's mostly an inability to distinguish reds and greens. Your monitor produces only THREE colors- green, red, and blue. If the green and red phosphor only look slightly different, or if that difference is mostly in brightness, then there's no easy way around this. You can't just 'shift the tint'.

A pretty great way to think of it is this: Red, orange, yellow, and green, all look yellow. Just pretend that. Most colorblind people have tricks. My buddy can often tell red and green apart because "green is brighter". He's using other properties to compensate, but of course, they aren't the same in all cases (you could have a dull green and a bright red and he couldn't use the trick).

Colorblind people are often literally missing a sensor type entirely. In the same way we can't distinguish between purple (the red/blue mix) and violet (the spectral color past blue), but we don't have aliens with a sensor at 330 nanometers wondering if it's because we're dumb and putting up traffic lights with purple meaning go and violet meaning stop.

It's particularly unforgivable when an option to change all the greens to blues would solve it pretty well for a huge majority of folks, and when it is used totally gratuitously to represent shield health with no option for another display that it makes me the most cross.

Edited by Verain