pvp tank augments

ReckonerH

So I just got some mk-9 augment slots, and I hear that the 2 best augments for me are :

Advanced Might Augment 28

and

Advanced Fortitude Augment 28

Got that from this guide:

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pvp/jedi-knight/guardian/defense/item-modification

However, I can't seem to find any info on how many of each augments to use. Like, do I use half the slots for Might augment and half for Fortitude, or is it something else?

I'd appreciate any help on the matter.

Edited by ReckonerH

So I just got some mk-9 augment slots, and I hear that the 2 best augments for me are :

Advanced Might Augment 28

and

Advanced Fortitude Augment 28

Got that from this guide:

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pvp/jedi-knight/guardian/defense/item-modification

However, I can't seem to find any info on how many of each augments to use. Like, do I use half the slots for Might augment and half for Fortitude, or is it something else?

I'd appreciate any help on the matter.

Never use noxxic as its bad. However, they did get something right for once:

A PvP tank should never augment for mitigation.

The choice between Strength + fortitude mods is simple. Do you want to tank in DPS gear or tank gear?

Tank gear would be considered:

Endurance augments

Lettered absorb mods

Vigilant enhancements.

Edited by TACeMossie

The choice between Strength + fortitude mods is simple. Do you want to tank in DPS gear or tank gear?

That's a pretty simplistic view of it, but if I'm not mistaken the Might augment gives a boost to Strength and Endurance while Fortitude does Endurance and Power which means the tanking augment only really gives you more HP rather than mitigation or some other stats. This is a question that's been bugging me too, but I think its safe to say that half of each would be fine PvP-wise unless anyone more knowledgeable than me has a better answer?

defence , defence and more defence, the def stats are way too low only with gear... the only might item i use on my guardian tank is the pve hilt, i guess you could do that in pvp also with the hilt...

That is if you want to tank, if you want to dps, guardian tank is really the wrong tree,might aswell make a vanguard hybrid then?

and the defence augs have power also so there you have your xtra dps anyways, the only thing might adds more is the crits and guardian tank crits are horrible anyways with hardly any surge... and the strg stat doesnt effect crits as much as dps classes anyways.

just add the crit bonuses to riposte in the tree and the cd shorten, thats about all you really need to think about with critting as a guardian tank, if you want even more dps add the master strike damage bonus, the reflect duratiuon increase is not bad, although you get stuned 99% of the time when your reflect is up in pvp, also for a tick more dps you can get the aoe bonuses, get the 4 piece bonus and guard someone another 5%, honestly really dont need might augs, you can even get the strg if you want in the vigilence tree instead, even as a full tank build you get to it, try to hit another tank wich is getting healed, as a tank, his health will hardly even move... I would probably even aug accuracy before might or end, the guardian tank accuracy is horrible, basically you randomly swing your lightstick lol. Endurance is the worst stat to aug as a tank i find (well fortitude augs or whatever there called) you want Redoubt! Being an endurance sponge is fine when youre getting healed , but the sec youre not getting healed mitigation is way better. example, guarding a node alone and needing to call inc and survive till the back up comes, they will burn threw the xtra health compared to the mitigation.

A reason also that i find defences are a tick better now is that people use more white damage since a patch or 2, and white damage is the eayest to mitigate from all types.

Edited by ODTONE

What the heck is white damage? Is that the same thing as weapon damage? (which is not a damage type anyway. It can be energy or kinetic, etc...)Energy or kinetic damage can be defensed or not based on the attack type.The reason defense is bad in PVP is, it does not work against force/tech attacks. If you are saying people are using more melee/ranged attacks now, you may have a point but I am not sure if this is the case. Edited by tanerb

Did you mean to say lettered absorb mods?

/facepalm

Yes, I meant mods

That is if you want to tank, if you want to dps, guardian tank is really the wrong tree,might aswell make a vanguard hybrid then?

And you haven't played since patch 2.6 removed vanguard hybrid builds for good.

Edited by TACeMossie

So quick update:

I've now augmented half my gear, all using advanced fortitude augment. From the sounds of it here Might augment wont help much, if at all for tanking, and the defense augment wont help against force/tech attacks; in which case I'm inclined to keep augmenting fortitude completely.

So quick update:

I've now augmented half my gear, all using advanced fortitude augment. From the sounds of it here Might augment wont help much, if at all for tanking, and the defense augment wont help against force/tech attacks; in which case I'm inclined to keep augmenting fortitude completely.

I'd actually consider might, since it helps your Blade Barrier and Focused Defense.

• 4 weeks later...
That's a pretty simplistic view of it, but if I'm not mistaken the Might augment gives a boost to Strength and Endurance while Fortitude does Endurance and Power which means the tanking augment only really gives you more HP rather than mitigation or some other stats. This is a question that's been bugging me too, but I think its safe to say that half of each would be fine PvP-wise unless anyone more knowledgeable than me has a better answer?

On a guardian, you want Fortitude augs, as Power helps out the healing from Focused Defense.

Also, to the user that suggested defense augs: about 70-85% of attacks in PvP are NOT defendable. Why would use ever use such a worthless stat?

Bottom line: Fortitude Augs. Endurance for more HP, and power to help Focused Defense. Best augs for Guardian Tanks.

On a guardian, you want Fortitude augs, as Power helps out the healing from Focused Defense.

Also, to the user that suggested defense augs: about 70-85% of attacks in PvP are NOT defendable. Why would use ever use such a worthless stat?

Bottom line: Fortitude Augs. Endurance for more HP, and power to help Focused Defense. Best augs for Guardian Tanks.

I'd debate Might Augments, as it increases critical chance on those heals as well as the mit from blade barrier.

Right now when tanking I just pop in a shield and wear my DPS gear while in tank spec, so my Barrier deflects trucks and my focused defense heals like it does in DPS spec. That's just me.

• 2 weeks later...
Every tank should be using fortitude augs. The damage profile in PvP does not favor mitigation builds in the slightest.

I love facing tanks that use mitigation builds in PvP. So easy to kill with so many of my builds. Tanks really should be tunneled more when they are guarding healers. Without at least two healers on them they are really rather easy to kill.

Hopefully that will be changing soon. In the VG/PT Questions, Bioware had said that they are making changes to PvP tanking. Not sure if it is going to be VG/PTs only, or if they are making it every tanking class.

My hope is that they for one, allow shield to absorb crit attacks, and two, make defense more of a viable stat. IMO, a tank should survive 2 dps, but not 3 without the help of a healer. Of course, I don't think that they increase damage of tanks either. I would be okay with sacrificing some damage for more survivabilty.

I need to take some time and calculate my defensive stats for PvP, but with defense being such a weak stat, its kind of pointless. Sure, its great against carnage marauders, MM snipers, and Vengeance juggs, but given the changes to 2.8, most marauders are now running Annihilation, at least on my server. MM snipers have been more of a PvE spec, so most run Lethality. So that leaves 1 class where defense is valued.

Not to mention, 2.8: Revenge of the DoTs has made tanking very painful.

Edited by xMaranathax