Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The "BIG" Expansion is Getting Delayed to 2015 Isn't It?

Dawginole

OP, subs have already been hemorrhaging ever since the major lack of endgame PvP and PvE content in SWToR. It still continues to this day because all BioEAware cares about is focusing on the cash shop to gouge the playerbase to purchase more reskinned cosmetic items.

Well what they've done with the cash shop is probably a whole other thread on its own. Only EA would justify selling in game items for more than the cost of a monthly sub. To me the irony is that no one's digital horse is worth anything. They could sell one to every player at $3 or sell one to 10% of the population at $30. So they sell it at $30 because of the psychology behind it and treat their customers like dirt.

But the players buy it, which is astonishing. If you walked into a McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac and the cashier told you it would be $30 you would not hesitate to walk out. But EA knows they can gouge gamers due to the drive for the new shiny, and sure enough, there goes someone on fleet on their $30 digital horse.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what they've done with the cash shop is probably a whole other thread on its own. Only EA would justify selling in game items for more than the cost of a monthly sub. To me the irony is that no one's digital horse is worth anything. They could sell one to every player at $3 or sell one to 10% of the population at $30. So they sell it at $30 because of the psychology behind it and treat their customers like dirt.

But the players buy it, which is astonishing. If you walked into a McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac and the cashier told you it would be $30 you would not hesitate to walk out. But EA knows they can gouge gamers due to the drive for the new shiny, and sure enough, there goes someone on fleet on their $30 digital horse.

You're starting to sound like you are upset at how someone chooses their money or jealous because they have the means to buy it and you can't/won't.

Since the previous dev team developed this game with that mindscope, it's no wonder that this game saw a hemorrhaging of subscribers right after launch. MMOers wanted MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER content, not solo content that lasts 1 to 2 weeks.

"FTFlop" Free to Flop? That solo content you speak of lasts way more than 2 weeks. (Unless you play religiously for lack of any sleep, then seek help.) If you have nothing new to contribute other than the loss of subs after launch, don't bother posting. It's been talked to death and the game is in a better state now than at Launch.

Your supposition is based on a narrowly defined construct of what constitutes enjoyment. Perhaps the fun you achieve from TOR is based primarily on aspects of PvP; or maybe it's PvE; possibly, your fun comes from crafting, grinding, or even RP. No matter, whatever combination of game components sates your tickle button is probably unique to you and of only tangential interest to other players.

From these and all the other gaming forums I've witnessed the pervasive theme among individual posters is this game (pick any game) sucks because it does not conform to and focus specifically on my unique interests.

Make no mistake, I'm not pointing fingers, we're all equally judgmental in our gaming preferences, me included. Still, while I'm not a major trafficker in Cartel Coins, I'm not particularly inclined to render judgments against an obviously large number of TOR participants who enjoy collecting and playing with the items purchased from the Cartel Market.

I'd commend that fun rears its head in many forms and impugning any of them because they do not fit within your particular paradigm is woefully shortsighted.

Respectfully submitted.

Edited by scratcha
grammar

Your supposition is based on a narrowly defined construct of what constitutes enjoyment.

I was not discussing enjoyment at all. I was discussing value, which is a defined concept within economics.

Respectfully submitted.

I was not discussing enjoyment at all. I was discussing value, which is a defined concept within economics.

Respectfully submitted.

No, you were discussing fun in the most literal sense. In questioning the value of items in the Cartel Market you are simultaneously de-valuing the fun that a large number of players take from their purchases. My point, however unclearly I may have stated it, is that value in a virtual gaming world is absolutely relative to the monetary burden players are willing to bear in their pursuit of enjoyment. It's sort of like game subscriptions -- some players lack the capacity and/or motivation to pay a monthly sub, while opposite on the continuum are those who view it as a great bargain insofar as their entertainment is concerned.

Value (as opposed to cost) is completely subjective and situational in economics - if have 30 Mythra and only 10 Turadium and I am trying to make a MK-9 kit (which requires 20 of each) , I will value Turadium higher than Mythra. But if you are also trying to make MK-9 kits but have 10 Mythra and 30 Turadium, you will value Mythra more. You and I can get together, and I will trade you 10 Mythra I don't value much (because I do not need them) for 10 of your Turadium that you do not need. Everyone's happy -

The basis of voluntary trade is that all the traders value what they are getting more than what they are giving (If they valued them equally, the transaction cost would dissuade them from trading). Therefore, people MUST be assigning different values to the same object, if they are performing a trade of that object.

In RL as in SWTOR, people sink a lot of money into dress-up (e.g. Brooks Brothers, Coach, Prada) and status-indicating possessions (e.g. Rolls Royce and Tesla). This proves that people assign a substantial value to dress-up items and status indication items - in the real world and in SWTOR.

Now, what was your argument, again? That a $30 virtual horse is not worth $30? Wrong. Maybe not to you, but it is to the people who buy it, by the definition of value.

Edited by BuriDogshin

"FTFlop" Free to Flop? That solo content you speak of lasts way more than 2 weeks. (Unless you play religiously for lack of any sleep, then seek help.) If you have nothing new to contribute other than the loss of subs after launch, don't bother posting. It's been talked to death and the game is in a better state now than at Launch.

I dunno. I am a notoriously slow leveler (my main in Lotro is 81st level after 6 years and 650 hours) and I managed to complete the class stories (at level 53) on my Bounty Hunter in about 200 hours, and on my Sage in about 130 hours (I'm not sure why the disparity).

And that's with doing all the side quests and bonus quests (and a few KDYs on each).

After 2 months of subbing, I'm ready to move on, since I've see all the quests. Yeah, I'm missing the class quests for 6 other classes, but I'm not going to do all the side quests or KDY over and over and over just to experience them.

For those people who are hard core players, I can't imagine them lasting more than a month. It's a miracle so many have stayed, rather than so few, especially with very little on the horizon...

Edited by trancejeremy

i don't think we'll see anything there are barely any devs working on this and with the player base leaving by the hoard we'll see updates slow down even more until the game is sunset at the end of the year.

I don't want this to happen, but it just might :(

• 3 months later...

And here we are, nearly 4 months later, all this extra time and strongholds and conquest are both buggy as hell, exploits and glitches aplenty, and still not a single peep about the " rise style expansion".

it's bad enough that they recycle content even more blatently than even world of warcraft, but to go 18 months without a new raid is completey unacceptable.

We all had such high hopes for this game, then BW goes and gives in to pressure from the then future owner to release game early, before it was ready, and now look at the shape the game is in.

EA has once again failed in the quality AND quantity department, and in being so greedy for the "quick buck", have actually lost themselves the much higher potential revenue they would have made had they kept customers happy, and by finishing the game properly before release.

Strongholds / Conquest was delayed two months "for extra testing" yet was only on pts 6 days, not even long enough to test the reward / unlock system on guild ships, let alone all of the conquest bonus objectives: you know, the ones that so far 2 out of 2 weeks in a row have been wrong, and have had to shut servers down to hotfix, but let the guilds that farmed these repeatables that weren't supposed to be repeatable to the order of 10-15 MILLION POINTS per week?

To be perfectly honest, this is the biggest fail in the history of bioware, and I truely am amazed that so many people are taking it in the gazoo and not complaining. Show EA-Ware you won't take this crap sitting down, and voice your very justified complaints.

It's one thing to delay things for proper testing or to gain a more polished feel for new content, but no new content has really been added, and we only got 6 days of testing. That does not justify months of delay, with early access FINALLY coming and having this many issues.

/endrant

And here we are, nearly 4 months later, all this extra time and strongholds and conquest are both buggy as hell, exploits and glitches aplenty, and still not a single peep about the " rise style expansion".

it's bad enough that they recycle content even more blatently than even world of warcraft, but to go 18 months without a new raid is completey unacceptable.

We all had such high hopes for this game, then BW goes and gives in to pressure from the then future owner to release game early, before it was ready, and now look at the shape the game is in.

EA has once again failed in the quality AND quantity department, and in being so greedy for the "quick buck", have actually lost themselves the much higher potential revenue they would have made had they kept customers happy, and by finishing the game properly before release.

Strongholds / Conquest was delayed two months "for extra testing" yet was only on pts 6 days, not even long enough to test the reward / unlock system on guild ships, let alone all of the conquest bonus objectives: you know, the ones that so far 2 out of 2 weeks in a row have been wrong, and have had to shut servers down to hotfix, but let the guilds that farmed these repeatables that weren't supposed to be repeatable to the order of 10-15 MILLION POINTS per week?

To be perfectly honest, this is the biggest fail in the history of bioware, and I truely am amazed that so many people are taking it in the gazoo and not complaining. Show EA-Ware you won't take this crap sitting down, and voice your very justified complaints.

It's one thing to delay things for proper testing or to gain a more polished feel for new content, but no new content has really been added, and we only got 6 days of testing. That does not justify months of delay, with early access FINALLY coming and having this many issues.

/endrant

I see the sky is falling again!

/endrant

Nobody is complaining because people are enjoying housing and conquests... They aren't even bugged. GG at least people don't necro old posts to rant.

GSH and GC are not bugged, and they are both fun and I am enjoying them. But the fact remains that we still haven't even had a whiff of a new Operation. DF/DP came out 11 months ago and we still don't even know the name of the next Operation, let alone when we will get it.

They have about 3 more months to get an Ops out before this officially passes ICC and becomes the worst raid drought I have ever seen in MMO history.

Its kind of a sad, pathetic race right now to see who will get the shorter raid drought between SWTOR and WoW. WoW's looks like it is going to be 14 months again, I'm not sure my interest in this game will last that long if its not less than that.

GSH and GC are not bugged, and they are both fun and I am enjoying them. But the fact remains that we still haven't even had a whiff of a new Operation. DF/DP came out 11 months ago and we still don't even know the name of the next Operation, let alone when we will get it.

They have about 3 more months to get an Ops out before this officially passes ICC and becomes the worst raid drought I have ever seen in MMO history.

Its kind of a sad, pathetic race right now to see who will get the shorter raid drought between SWTOR and WoW. WoW's looks like it is going to be 14 months again, I'm not sure my interest in this game will last that long if its not less than that.

How ever will we go on if your interest in this game doesn't last? :)

/endrant

Can I have my time spent back reading the OP please from this old necro'd thread ?

As to content we got Manaan FP and the third part of forged alliances is out a week tomorrow , that isn't slow content and we will indeed have the next expansion this year.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

As to content we got Manaan FP and the third part of forged alliances is out a week tomorrow , that isn't slow content and we will indeed have the next expansion this year.

Forged Alliances was created so people like you would come to the rescue and say, "see, there is content!".

If you were at all objective about it, you'd see that it is crumbs, 5-10 min of cutscenes that do nothing to make a proper story and introduce all new people without any background of development.

It is the worst form of story writing and frankly the fact that so many people fall for it is sad.

If that is all it takes to keep you happy, well... then you're Bioware's favorite customer I guess, since you'll gladly pay for scraps...

Well lets see...

- New abilities

- Huge class changes

- New planet(s)

- New operations again

- New gear

- More story content

I could honestly do without new abilities or new gear, and the class changes are risky, since its more likely such a change will create more balance issues rather than solve existing ones.

Well lets see...

- New abilities

- Huge class changes

- New planet(s)

- New operations again

- New gear

- More story content

But people just asking for new lvl cap!

Why cant it be without new lvls?

And gear... you just want to grind more? Im playing since early 2013 time to time and still without any gear higher 180 tier and has no problem with that.

Edited by APCrol

Forged Alliances was created so people like you would come to the rescue and say, "see, there is content!".

If you were at all objective about it, you'd see that it is crumbs, 5-10 min of cutscenes that do nothing to make a proper story and introduce all new people without any background of development.

It is the worst form of story writing and frankly the fact that so many people fall for it is sad.

If that is all it takes to keep you happy, well... then you're Bioware's favorite customer I guess, since you'll gladly pay for scraps...

Way to judge someone from just a few words. You do not know me and do not know if "people like me" are happy with the content being within short cut scene FP's. Mind you I do believe that at least it is something and an introduction to the big expansion coming at the end of the year. Guess what else ? I have no interest in GSH at all apart from the legacy bank , mail box , gtn , cargo bay and augmentation table. Having said that I am glad some people like it and do think it will keep quite a few people playing the game.

I doubt I am BioWare's favourite customer seeming as I don't ad won't pay for CC's above my Sub's freebies.

Also I only added that as I took the time to read the OP from like months ago for nothing.

Now kindly don't judge others , when you haven't a single clue who I am and what I deem as acceptable content.

I will also add that I hope for other people sake the expansion will bring in 10 extra levels of content and no that's not for me as it will be a nightmare for me to level 160 levels repeatedly for a few months.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Way to judge someone from just a few words.

You posted it, that is all I can work from...

I see it all the time, people coming to the game's and the dev's defense saying, "but... but... see, there IS new content!"

Yea, yea, no it really isn't... It just creates FUD and muddies the waters, which is why they do it.

Strongholds was clearly created on a budget, so was GSF. I haven't seen any real dev money put into this game in a year, perhaps a year and a half. It is all just small maintenance items and clean up.

Disclaimer: I do software development for a living, so I do know something about the subject.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.