Ebon Hawk Progression

Coffee

Considering that with 3.2 several of the bosses from the HM operations were nerfed, and apparently 204 mainhands will soon be available, I think we should probably add a highlight color for "Post 3.2". Thoughts?

Probably not a bad idea. I don't think it will be as extreme as pre and post NiM power, but definitely different.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'll at least make 3/5 for both instances a puggable/easier experience as such yes, a 3.2 iteration color would be ideal. If guilds wish to state their kills were achieved without a 204 mainhand just for credit sake, they can post screenshot proof of their groups equipment. As tedious as that would be, I think people would still like to show their progression didn't occur from the Monolithic Mainhand alone.

Considering that with 3.2 several of the bosses from the HM operations were nerfed, and apparently 204 mainhands will soon be available, I think we should probably add a highlight color for "Post 3.2". Thoughts?

Some of the nerfs are more significant than others. Bulo has been significantly changed, and it's now possible to basically ignore half of the mechanics in the fight, whereas doing so used to be immediately punishing. Sword Squadron is only slightly changed, IMO, and for the most part groups that are able to kill it now probably could have killed it before. The healing requirements are a bit down, and you need less split-second timing on the push, but even taken together it's not that much of a nerf.

Revan is barely much of a nerf at all. Or rather, it is a nerf that is very noticeable in floor 3, but honestly if you're capable of getting to floor 3 consistently enough to get in the practice on the aberrations, you have the DPS and the coordination to kill the fight either before or after the nerf. This just puts less pressure on certain compositions.

No other bosses have been touched, to my knowledge.

To my mind, kills of any non-Bulo boss are representative of basically the same skill now as they were before, absent 204 MH madness. The 204 MH is… very annoying. If you want to see that as an indirect, general nerf to the entire tier, I think that's a fair and defensible viewpoint, and one which would merit a "post-3.2" coloring.

To my mind, kills of any non-Bulo boss are representative of basically the same skill now as they were before, absent 204 MH madness. The 204 MH is… very annoying. If you want to see that as an indirect, general nerf to the entire tier, I think that's a fair and defensible viewpoint, and one which would merit a "post-3.2" coloring.

Not that it's been a real roadblock for many, but is anyone else noticing a major reduction to the damage on Malaphar HM? There's nothing in the notes, but we ran it with a couple groups this week and the damage from building up stacks seemed much lower on dps/heals -- people were able to stand in until almost 20 stacks without dying.

As for a new color, yeah, I'm for it. The 204 MH plus the BiS DPS enhancements and tanking B-Mods from the "trash" pieces that will be dropping are basically like the removal of the NiM power buff from DF/DP. -- it might actually be more of an Ops nerf, I dunno.

Edited by KaiserTNT

Just keep it simple, keep it as is, those who play know who is good and who is not. Beyond that this is more of a race, for the most part in a few months no one will remember or care who killed Bulo first and when, they will remember server and faction first clears . So just keep it as is and don't trifle yourself so much, you don't want to change a bunch of things each time a change happens to an op, which is what many here will request and make your job and increasing PITA.

Grats. Also didn't realize until about 30 mins later he gives a title. @_@ You guys do the Rift Cross or just ignore and H2F?

Also that moment when you realize you tanked him with a DPS relic in. :rak_03: I am not a smart man.

At least you had a hilt in your weapon :rak_03:

Grats. Also didn't realize until about 30 mins later he gives a title. @_@ You guys do the Rift Cross or just ignore and H2F?

Also that moment when you realize you tanked him with a DPS relic in. :rak_03: I am not a smart man.

I had to miss the raid last night, but I'm pretty sure it was just stack and H2F for the cross. As for tanking him with DPS relics, I'm actually considering experimenting with that on purpose: 1 Reactive Warding relic + 1 DPS relic + DPS stim may be pretty good, since so much of his damage is internal.

Edited by KaiserTNT

I had to miss the raid last night, but I'm pretty sure it was just stack and H2F for the cross. As for tanking him with DPS relics, I'm actually considering experimenting with that on purpose: 1 Reactive Warding relic + 1 DPS relic + DPS stim may be pretty good, since so much of his damage is internal.

Something to keep in mind regarding the damage is that the ratios you see in Parsec are not directly correlated with the ratios of outgoing damage from the boss. According to parsec, 69% of all damage you receive is internal/elemental (as a tank), meaning that only 30% of received damage is subject to mitigation. However, Parsec is showing damage post-mitigation. Adjusting the damage for kinetic/energy mitigation (going for a ballpark figure, so probably accurate only to within 2-3%) requires the following formula:

((1 - 0.69)/(1 - 0.7))/(0.69 * 1 + (1 - 0.69)/(1 - 0.7)) = 0.5996

In other words, 60% of the boss's outgoing damage (pre-mitigation) is kinetic/energy, and only 30% is internal/elemental. As someone who tried to heal a DPS off-tank on this fight (in some earlier experiments), I can say that mitigation most definitely makes an appreciable difference, just as it does on Coratanni, Master-Blaster, Revan, and other fights that exhibit this same ratio. Abandoning mitigation altogether would probably push you up to around 3.3-3.5k DtPS, adding about 2k requisite eHPS to an already very tight healing challenge.

Speaking of healing challenges, /hattip to your healers. I certainly wouldn't want to heal through a failed flower every time. They're pretty easy to handle if he's not rift buffed, but with the buff… ooooff. The other nice thing about promptly breaking the flower is your healers get a bit of time to catch up and ramp down on the triage before the curse. If you fail the flower every time, you basically need to have everyone at or very close to full coming out of the flower, because he casts Curse at the very end of his channel. This means that the healers have to be going full-bore, keeping up perfectly with the damage, and with the ability to stop INSTANTLY. Very challenging.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

If you fail the flower every time, you basically need to have everyone at or very close to full coming out of the flower, because he casts Curse at the very end of his channel. This means that the healers have to be going full-bore, keeping up perfectly with the damage, and with the ability to stop INSTANTLY. Very challenging.

We do have some really good healers, but if everyone in the raid takes some responsibility during the channel when the boss happens to be in a rift, it goes a long way too. PTs can sonic rebound the initial curse hit, snipers can drop a shield, marauders can predation, mercs & sorcs can offheal since the boss is immune, etc. I'm guessing we'll try it both ways to compare in future pulls; opinions as to which is easier seem to be varied on Dulfy and the Operations thread on these forums.

Some of those opinions may be biased by groups going with 3 healers, which probably makes the stack method very appealing...we did the standard 2 Tank / 4 DPS / 2 Healer comp though.

Edited by KaiserTNT

We ran out of time cuz of that whole only-two-people-had-done-Ziost-before-raid-night thing, so we didn't get HM, but we did kill SM 16m with 8 people because why not :D Grats to those who have done it so far. Fun fight. Edited by FrozenGoalie