Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is SWTOR a 'big-boy' MMO now?

LadyKulvax

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway does "big" really even apply to MMOs anymore? What's the actual competition for that term?

Isn't the whole early-2000s MMO psycho-craze kind of deflated and it's just another specialized genre like single-player RPGs now?

WoW, probably the most significant MMO in Western gaming culture, lost its hype train and population growth a long time ago; even Blizzard's baby is firmly in "flatline" level where it has its loyal subscriber base that's not going away and that's about it.

New MMO launches don't seem to garner nearly the same interest or hype outside gamer microcommunities — I think people have moved on to other gaming pastures (like P2W phone-games they can diddle with between calls at work) and/or realized how monumentally wasteful dedicated MMO play is vs. other RL options.

So I guess for starters it's important to establish what "big" even means in this odd-ball genre nowadays.

+1

WoW is the 800lb gorilla in the room and lots of individuals think that is the baseline; any MMO that does not generate the kind of hype and population numbers that WoW did/does is a failure. This cannot be farther from the truth. Look at some of the oldest MMOs out there: UO and EQ1 are still alive and kicking with FAR less population than WoW. And EQ1 expanded (20th expansion released) late last year, so there is still development going on not just "maintenance mode."

Furthermore, the age of dedicating to one MMO has passed. The subscription model encouraged players to "get the most out of their subscription" by basically playing one MMO at a time. MMOs are now no different than any other game on the market:

1. buy it, download it, install it.
  2. play it for a while
  3. when your done move on to the next game
  4. when you feel like it come on back

By big-boy I mean one of the strongest competing in the market. Moreover what I'm getting at here is that despite all these numerous massive triple A MMOs releasing, SWTOR still seems to be going from strength to strength contrary to the countless dooms day messages about *insert hyped MMO release here*.

The latest example of this is The Elder Scrolls Online, a game which has suffered one of the worst releases in recent memory, even the biggest Elder Scrolls diehards have chastised the game and not even SWTOR's infamous 1.2 update seems to match the intensity of which the gaming crowd have torn ESO to shreds.

Guild Wars 2 does not seem to have suffered the same fate and has apparently stabilised.

Other examples of course exist but these releases don't seem to have pulled away from SWTOR at all, on the contrary the theme I am getting is that SWTOR is well beyond the hate train that it once suffered from, passed the hate carriage onto Guild Wars 2 and has only grown in the relative shadows since those days.

Though GSF hasn't been quite the saviour patch it was being touted as, it seems to have gotten an average-good reception and with Galactic Strongholds on the horizon with the long awaited Guild Flagships, players seem to slowly be giving SWTOR a second or perhaps third chance, with many claiming to have gotten a sense of great improvement compared to previous years.

So in the midst of bad releases, the opinion of SWTOR seems to have grown, if so could SWTOR be getting a second wind from all this?

Of course these are merely my own observations and doesn't account for the experiences of others.

But I am getting the sense that the failure to live up to the hype much for these new releases, much like SWTOR did is giving SWTOR's own improvements a time to shine.

Have you gotten similar experiences in recent weeks and share my observations or have you had completely the opposite experience? feel free to chime in but let's keep things civil.

It's not the game. It's the people. -bp

Anyway does "big" really even apply to MMOs anymore? What's the actual competition for that term?

Isn't the whole early-2000s MMO psycho-craze kind of deflated and it's just another specialized genre like single-player RPGs now?

WoW, probably the most significant MMO in Western gaming culture, lost its hype train and population growth a long time ago; even Blizzard's baby is firmly in "flatline" level where it has its loyal subscriber base that's not going away and that's about it.

New MMO launches don't seem to garner nearly the same interest or hype outside gamer microcommunities — I think people have moved on to other gaming pastures (like P2W phone-games they can diddle with between calls at work) and/or realized how monumentally wasteful dedicated MMO play is vs. other RL options.

So I guess for starters it's important to establish what "big" even means in this odd-ball genre nowadays.

the idea of big MMOs never really existed. WoW was really the only MMO that was huge, I'd say WoW was more an abberation then anything. Honestly I think WoW dying would be the best thing to ever happen to the market on a whole. it'd result in more realistic expectations all around

I have, and what I see is an MMO that went f2p in less than a year. Unless EAware makes a 180 and decides to start listening to the little hardcore communities that are left, for this year I have my eyes set on Wildstar and Destiny.

Bye then. Door, backside, way out etc.

I have, and what I see is an MMO that went f2p in less than a year. Unless EAware makes a 180 and decides to start listening to the little hardcore communities that are left, for this year I have my eyes set on Wildstar and Destiny.

lol yeah, building a game around a subset like hardcore players, that'll work out well.

TOR is fine. $200 mil in revenue in 2013. More stuff being added every few months, Housing and Guild Ships and Legacy Bank and GSF and all the other stuff like mini-games and whatever.

I applaud your decision to leave, however. Go have fun with those other games. We'll still be here when you come back.

I think this game is in a very good place right now and will continue to grow.

There is so much more to do than on release, when I feel this game was ahead of its time. I have recently purchased a new rig and Fibre Optic broadband. The game runs so fast and smoothly now, even with 30v30+ on Oricon. Didn't ever expect that after Ilum slideshow at launch and all the talk about the Hero engine.

Looking forward to the new updates and hopefully competitive open world PvP in time, especially now I/we know how well this game runs with modern (compatible no AMD cards!) setups.

Edited by Simbr

I've often used the word in reference to books, movies, games, tech items and just about everything else that garners a good bit of my fondness.

I somehow doubt that you act like this in public when someone mentions how much they love their Iphone.

But, Internet, right?

As do I, as I stated. Your point?

And you're right, I act far worse than this in public because there's no fear of being banned from humanity...unfortunately. When someone goes all giddy over their new iPhone, I enjoy pointing out how cute they are and how easy they are for the elderly, like my mother, to use.

I think SWTOR is 1 of the big boy mmo, I started playing at release and thought it was ok, but now it gets better with every expansion, I hated PVP and always stayed away from it in other games, but swtor have pvp perfect for me, I have a bad day at work come home log in beat a few people up, huttball is amazing, then you have FP, story mission, bounty week, space mission (yes I like the space rail part). Well worth the £8.99 sub

I applaud your decision to leave, however. Go have fun with those other games. We'll still be here when you come back.

Except... here he is... subscribed to SWTOR. He's sooooo mean to himself for making himself pay for a MMO he does not like. :p

Has SWTOR matured? Yes, very much so. The BW Austin team has been doing a good job in listening and responding to their audience. I'm willing to forgive the disastrous, short-sighted view of when SWTOR was released. I would rather not compare the current state of SWTOR to the current state of other MMOs. I missed a big chunk of play time between the F2P decision, Makeb expansion, and the announcement of GSF.

Whether it is a big-boy or girl is really beside the point. I have been here since launch along with the members of my guild which actually started the guild and we have been adding new members (not alts of old members) to the guild lately so by that I would say there is more people playing.

Whether it is subs, free to play or preferred players it really doesn't matter. The point is there are people that are enjoying playing.

If you don't like to play then honestly why complain unless you are looking for people to agree with you or support your decision.

When I played a game that I found I didn't like I just left. I didn't need the support of someone in the forum to figure out the game wasn't for me. I would hope most people could figure that out for themselves unless they are just trying to create drama or trolling.

Have a good day.

It has. Look at Wildstar. Heck look at all the other games that are competitively driven. None of them are this story based, lol PvE singleplayer nonsense.

In your opinion.

This year's highly anticipated releases such as ESO and Wildstar have already done the damage but it will continue. SWTOR is dying a slow but painful death due to lots of the criticism is gets outside this forum in multiple MMO gaming and competitive communities.

F2P in less than a year folks! :rolleyes:

If by that you mean reskinned cosmetic items to gouge the playerbase every month then yes, you're correct.

Baiting.

How was that baiting? He wished you on your journey when you leave and expected you to be back soon.

It has. Look at Wildstar. Heck look at all the other games that are competitively driven. None of them are this story based, lol PvE singleplayer nonsense.

since when do we have to do what they do? can't we be unique? I know that a lot of people appreciate the story, long before I even had a computer decent enough to pvp with I was drawn in and thoroughly enjoyed the story, long ago back when this game was just months away from release and up to that point I never touched an mmo. Between that and the chance to play alongside other people too I was drawn to that. So do not say that its nonesense some people still care and appreciate it.

In your opinion.

This year's highly anticipated releases such as ESO and Wildstar have already done the damage but it will continue. SWTOR is dying a slow but painful death due to lots of the criticism is gets outside this forum in multiple MMO gaming and competitive communities.

F2P in less than a year folks! :rolleyes:

If by that you mean reskinned cosmetic items to gouge the playerbase every month then yes, you're correct.

Baiting.

just an awesome post man it shows how the drones are losing in there defense of this game as wildstar and other mmos just mop the floor with tor.

This is why I SWTOR most of all, really.

I am so freaking sick of elves and magic spells. There's nothing wrong with them? But I am just sick of it. The gaming industry has too much of a hardon for High/Low Fantasy in RPG design.

Even WildStar doesn't really feel like SciFi. I can't explain it, but I feel like WS is just WoW Burning Crusade — SciFi vibe covering basically the same stock Fantasy stuff we always get from MMOs / RPGs.

SWTOR is refreshingly devoid of pretty much every expected element, it's so flat and sterile... I love that.

I don't really have an opinion on the OP but a second this, I am so bored of elves and magic spells, not just in video games, but just in general. Fantasy can be so repetitive.

Yes. I feel it. I have a few guildies that played the first few months, then disappeared. Then around December they came back, then disappeared again. Now, those people and many others are beginning to surface and are anticipating the future of the game.

Long live SWTOR! :cool:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.