The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ask me anything / Training

Drakkolich

I have one: are you gonna fly again?

Greezt asking the hard questions. :p

In the past month I've flown a little. With my team not being available currently I've been solo queue ing. Sadly even while solo queue ing the games have been very one sided, I don't know if I'm playing at the wrong times or what but doing 100000 damage or getting 30 kills isn't what I fly for. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy just letting loose occasionally but coordinated with a team is what I play for.

If the games are this one sided while solo queue ing I'm not really seeing a good reason to put another team together at the moment which really saddens me.

I had taken a long break from the game because my main gaming mouse had broken and I could no longer really play, once I came back it just wasn't the same.

I know there are organized groups still playing and that's great for events or setting up a fight with them. But I really like just playing with a group both for just the conversation and coordination. I love the social aspect of GSF as much as flying. Not being able to just play with a group nightly and get a few decent games in our stints of doing so really puts me off of even flying.

Lately I have been playing pvp in another game where I do have constant competition and a team in that game that I play with nightly. It's hard to give that up at this point.

So while you might still see me here and there because I do love GSF, I don't see my flying regularly anytime soon.

For this reason I've really been restling with if I'm going to stay subbed, because as it stands it's pretty much just to talk to you guys here on the forums. I definitely have a hard decision coming on if I'm going to let that go, but until then I still feel like a part of this great community and want to keep helping it with all that I know and can teach everyone playing in it.

I hope you aren't too upset with that answer.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the best gunship and why. there seem to be a lot of different opinions on this. i dont want to waste fleet I already bought the spearpoint and its no good the flashfire is way better. i was thinkin of getting the t2 but ion railgun sounds good to beat bomber Edited by Roketlvr

whats the best gunship and why. there seem to be a lot of different opinions on this. i dont want to waste fleet I already bought the spearpoint and its no good the flashfire is way better. i was thinkin of getting the t2 but ion railgun sounds good to beat bomber

I already answered this in the other post but since drako-lick is busy on vac ill answer here. T2 is best for gunships. Use it with Slug and protons and directional shields. 1. Its best because i said so, 2. because it has protons. maybe one day you can be good enough to be a part of the elite Kronies and dominate the scabrous one night standers of Harbinger.

whats the best gunship and why. there seem to be a lot of different opinions on this. i dont want to waste fleet I already bought the spearpoint and its no good the flashfire is way better. i was thinkin of getting the t2 but ion railgun sounds good to beat bomber

Obviously I'm not Drak but I'm pretty sure I know how he'd answer this.

Conventional wisdom is that the T1 is the top dog - precisely because of ion rail. Nothing clears out bomber poop as effectively, and the power drain cripples enemies. You also get the option of two missile breaks, and the best short-range blasters in the game.

Applying unconventional wisdom - such as that espoused by the esteemed Krixarcs - "the best" can be defined largely by playstyle choice. The T3 can handle itself in close quarters in ways the other gunships cannot. And if you work your way up to Premier T2 Gunship Ace - well, I suppose there's that too.

So, I think most of us would rank them:

1) Quarrel/Mangler

2) Condor/Jurg

3) Comet Breaker/Dustmaker

...but in the right hands*, they're all effective.

* Krix's hands are the only ones applicable to the T2

Edited by MaximilianPower

* Krix's hands are the only ones applicable to the T2

Pull out Double Torp and watch Zucky die ashamed of himself :p

More seriously, the T2 gunship is bad. It has nothing going for him a T1 doesn't have. The T3 is decent but behind the T1 as far as gunshiping goes.

Max nailed it before I could get to it.

In my opinion the T1 Gunship Mangler/Quarrel is the most powerful gunship. It's way more powerful then the other Gunships in sniping games and it's Ion ability is one of the most useful weapons in the game.

However If you're solo queue ing the Mangler/Quarrel can be hard to use if a lot of pressure is being applied to you as it's not very mobile. If this is the case for you often I'd definitely give the T3 Gunship Jurgoran/Condor a try, you sacrifice some Evasion and the ability to use the Ion Railgun for more mobility with a Thruster and Power dive, you also gain some close quarters firing power with Cluster missiles.

I hope that helps :)

I've avoided GSF since it launched without joystick support because my expectations was that GSF would be like the old Xwing vs Tie fighter games. I just don't like the keyboard/mouse combo for flying.

While I would prefer a joystick, I know this will never happen and I'm wondering if there is a way to get an Xbox "like" controller to work with GSF.

Does anyone know if this can be done successfully and has anyone here done it?

I've avoided GSF since it launched without joystick support because my expectations was that GSF would be like the old Xwing vs Tie fighter games. I just don't like the keyboard/mouse combo for flying.

While I would prefer a joystick, I know this will never happen and I'm wondering if there is a way to get an Xbox "like" controller to work with GSF.

It's been done but it's really awkward because it doesn't fly like you're thinking of using a controller for it.

You basically just bind the mouse function to one of the joy stocks so you're moving the cursor around on the screen with the joystick. Same was done with an actual Joystick and almost every attempt to do so was met with most people realizing they were just going to get slauthered by mouse users since the game is built for keyboard/mouse.

You'd have to search a little through the forums to find them but there were a few threads made about this and how they did it.

Slightly better than mouse + keyboard is gaming mouse and keyboard. You can map some of your extra mouse buttons to missile break or CDs - or in my case use it to re-balance power, and re-bind the keys to something better suited to your playstyle / ship choices.

IMHO WASDX and 1234 + F1-4 is playable, but isn't ideal. - for instance I find it difficult to keep a finger on W and change between 2 and 3, and /or F2/F3 at the same time. ( defaults )

I certainly flew better for switching power selector controls away from the KB, leaving my LH fingers solely for thrust and roll, CDs and breaks.

- But each to their own. OFC.

Slightly better than mouse + keyboard is gaming mouse and keyboard. You can map some of your extra mouse buttons to missile break or CDs - or in my case use it to re-balance power, and re-bind the keys to something better suited to your playstyle / ship choices.

IMHO WASDX and 1234 + F1-4 is playable, but isn't ideal. - for instance I find it difficult to keep a finger on W and change between 2 and 3, and /or F2/F3 at the same time. ( defaults )

I certainly flew better for switching power selector controls away from the KB, leaving my LH fingers solely for thrust and roll, CDs and breaks.

- But each to their own. OFC.

I've got both and it's not that I can't play with them. I just hate it. To me GSF should always have been designed to have a Joystick, ie Xwing vs Tie Fighter sims. Bio really missed the boat and a whole seperate audience of players who would have come just for GSF. I've heard all the reasons why it wasn't and I've heard how it's not an issue for people.

My gripe isn't that it's not playable. It's just not fun playing a space sim type game with a mouse and keyboard. While I also dislike the idea of using an Xbox like controller, at least it would be better than a keyboard and mouse, which lets face it, isn't immersive and the Devs always harp on how immersion is their main goal of the game.

I was just hoping someone had figured out a way to make a controller work just as well as a keyboard and mouse setup and not incure any performance drop.

I was just hoping someone had figured out a way to make a controller work just as well as a keyboard and mouse setup and not incure any performance drop.

And here is where you went from a realistic request to fantasy land. The KB&M people would still out perform the joystick people in this game regardless of developer support. There are not enough physics involved in GSF for joystick people to keep up with KB&M. Remember GSF is not a flight sim, it is a shooter.

Edited by Lendul

Hey guys,

I have a few questions concerning Shields:

Can anyone give me an example for the correlation between Shield piericng and Bleedthrough?

How exactly do they influence the damage taken on Shield / Hull?

The enemy has nearly no Shields left. a hit from the primary weapon deals more damage than the remaining shield power. Does the damage stop there? is the rest of the damage to shield dealt to the hull? Is the damage to shield convertet to Hull damage? As in 3/4 of damage to shields got used so 1/4 damage to hull gets applied?

Same question with Shield piercing are those percentages from dmg to Hull or dmg to shields?

It would be really nice if anyone knew the answer to that since I carry this question with me for a few weeks.

Greetings,

Nightmaregale

Hey guys,

I have a few questions concerning Shields:

Can anyone give me an example for the correlation between Shield piericng and Bleedthrough?

How exactly do they influence the damage taken on Shield / Hull?

The enemy has nearly no Shields left. a hit from the primary weapon deals more damage than the remaining shield power. Does the damage stop there? is the rest of the damage to shield dealt to the hull? Is the damage to shield convertet to Hull damage? As in 3/4 of damage to shields got used so 1/4 damage to hull gets applied?

Same question with Shield piercing are those percentages from dmg to Hull or dmg to shields?

It would be really nice if anyone knew the answer to that since I carry this question with me for a few weeks.

Greetings,

Nightmaregale

So, here's my take on this.

Shield piercing vs. bleedthrough: both are the same, the only difference is the way they stack - they are multiplicative, and not additive. Example: if you have mastered charged plating and I have a mastered slug railgun, you have 20% bleedthrough and I have 28% shield piercing. This means that if I shoot you for 1760 damage, the amount of hull damage you take will be [1 - (1 - 0.2) × (1 - 0.28)] × 1760 = 746 damage (Damage is rounded down in GSF. Credit to Ryuku-sama for explaining).

However, if you're shot by a weapon without shield piercing, it will work the same way for bleedthrough as it would with shield piercing - meaning, the damage your hull takes will be [bleedthrough_percentage] × [damage_taken].

About shots that damage both shields and hull: the shot splits the damage according to the damage types and percentage. I haven't tested this for blasters, but it does seem to transfer for ion railgun shots, so I'd assume it does for blasters and other weapons as well. I will admit that watching videos in order to answer this question yielded some strange numbers, but I have never seen an ion land on a gunship with disto for 1850 damage.

Shield piercing is harder to answer, but I also assume it works the same. If the mechanic is there for split shots, there's no reason it shouldn't be there for piercong shots. In any case, the difference is almost always extremely small (except if you do something like ioning with bypass).

And here is where you went from a realistic request to fantasy land. The KB&M people would still out perform the joystick people in this game regardless of developer support. There are not enough physics involved in GSF for joystick people to keep up with KB&M. Remember GSF is not a flight sim, it is a shooter.

I should refrase the comment. As another person pointed out, the work around for setting up the controller has detrimental technical affect, I did not mean ability affect.

The debate as to wether KB&M people out perform game pad or joystick use "when" a game has developer support is for another time and was not what I was asking.

So, here's my take on this.

Shield piercing vs. bleedthrough: both are the same, the only difference is the way they stack - they are multiplicative, and not additive. Example: if you have mastered charged plating and I have a mastered slug railgun, you have 20% bleedthrough and I have 28% shield piercing. This means that if I shoot you for 1760 damage, the amount of hull damage you take will be [1 - (1 - 0.2) × (1 - 0.28)] × 1760 = 746 damage (Damage is rounded down in GSF. Credit to Ryuku-sama for explaining).

However, if you're shot by a weapon without shield piercing, it will work the same way for bleedthrough as it would with shield piercing - meaning, the damage your hull takes will be [bleedthrough_percentage] × [damage_taken].

About shots that damage both shields and hull: the shot splits the damage according to the damage types and percentage. I haven't tested this for blasters, but it does seem to transfer for ion railgun shots, so I'd assume it does for blasters and other weapons as well. I will admit that watching videos in order to answer this question yielded some strange numbers, but I have never seen an ion land on a gunship with disto for 1850 damage.

Shield piercing is harder to answer, but I also assume it works the same. If the mechanic is there for split shots, there's no reason it shouldn't be there for piercong shots. In any case, the difference is almost always extremely small (except if you do something like ioning with bypass).

On a related note: Charged Plating. One of it's passive stat mods is +20% Shield Bleedthrough. At first, I thought it was a good thing ("plus percentage to something, yay!"), but upon reading what you wrote, am I understanding it correctly that CP increases my shields, but at the tradeoff of allowing 20% of incoming damage to bypass my shields and hit my hull?

On a related note: Charged Plating. One of it's passive stat mods is +20% Shield Bleedthrough. At first, I thought it was a good thing ("plus percentage to something, yay!"), but upon reading what you wrote, am I understanding it correctly that CP increases my shields, but at the tradeoff of allowing 20% of incoming damage to bypass my shields and hit my hull?

Exactly. CP increases your shields and allows you almost 2/3rds of the time to have 99% DR, but in exchange you take 20% of all damage received to your hull.

Keep in mind that while you have CP active, you only need to fear weapons with armor pen - BLC, HLC, slugs, pods and some missiles. Any other weapon will deal 80% damage to shields, and 1% damage to hulls... Which basically means you benefit from the bleedthrough during CP uptime, since it leaves your shields intact to deal with the more serious threats.

Edited by Greezt

Exactly. CP increases your shields and allows you almost 2/3rds of the time to have 99% DR, but in exchange you take 20% of all damage received to your hull.

Keep in mind that while you have CP active, you only need to fear weapons with armor pen - BLC, HLC, slugs, pods and some missiles. Any other weapon will deal 80% damage to shields, and 1% damage to hulls... Which basically means you benefit from the bleedthrough during CP uptime, since it leaves your shields intact to deal with the more serious threats.

Haha, too bad those are all weapons that almost everyone uses! Taking the hull damage isn't as big a concern for me since I play a Clarion/Imperium healer ship. I'm currently debating switching to Directional Shield, which has a +10% Shield pool, and a faster regen delay. I'm no good at the swapping of shield focus under fire, so I'm only really considering the passives. More shields, but (healable) bleedthrough vs less shields, but faster regen delay.

Edited by HeatRacer

Haha, too bad those are all weapons that almost everyone uses! Taking the hull damage isn't as big a concern for me since I play a Clarion/Imperium healer ship. I'm currently debating switching to Directional Shield, which has a +10% Shield pool, and a faster regen delay. I'm no good at the swapping of shield focus under fire, so I'm only really considering the passives. More shields, but (healable) bleedthrough vs less shields, but faster regen delay.

If you don't shuffle your shields around, Directionnal is straight up inferior to anything. If you shuffle them around, it is better in every way than Charged Plating. Charged Plating builds are one trick poney meant to counter bombers and mines. Nothing else.

Edited by Ryuku-sama

If you don't shuffle your shields around, Directionnal is straight up inferior to anything. If you shuffle them around, it is better in every way than Charged Plating. Charged Plating builds are one trick poney meant to counter bombers and mines. Nothing else.

Yep, exactly what Kee said. Clarion is underpowered but in a shields build can face-tank almost everything in a straight-up joust (plenty of exceptions/factors to take into account but for all intents and purposes it's more or less true).

Charged plating on a Clarion is worthless except stuff that doesn't have armor ignore, like mines. Great 1-trick pony for capping and to some extent holding a sat. Other than that, directionals (provided you manage them properly).

~ Eudoxia

Hi,

I dont think you will like my approach but I think asking doesnt hurt :)

I am playing GSF just for the achievments, are there any things you can recommend? Like i noticed that there is an achievment for playing 100 matches with Strike fighter, 100 with bomber etc and its enough if you just swap the ships during one match.

Are there any other such tricks? I got some of the achievments with multiboxin and killing myself (like the 15 kills in one match) that way i got kills, damage, kill to live ratio and im not influencing he match that much since i have a ship on both sides. I also noticed that the "Mastering ship components" will be a real grind.

Hi,

I dont think you will like my approach but I think asking doesnt hurt :)

I am playing GSF just for the achievments, are there any things you can recommend? Like i noticed that there is an achievment for playing 100 matches with Strike fighter, 100 with bomber etc and its enough if you just swap the ships during one match.

Are there any other such tricks? I got some of the achievments with multiboxin and killing myself (like the 15 kills in one match) that way i got kills, damage, kill to live ratio and im not influencing he match that much since i have a ship on both sides. I also noticed that the "Mastering ship components" will be a real grind.

Hunting achievements is fine. The way you're going about doing it is not.

Multiboxing is wrong on two levels: it's not allowed, and it hurts the teams. Not being allowed is your problem in my opinion; you know the rules, you're taking the risk. I don't care. However, you are hurting both teams in the match. You're taking th place of two players who would actually play the game and farming yourself.

Even assuming you are killing yourself an even amount on each team (I'd love to see you managing 15 kills × 2), you're still making the game a 7v7 (or 11v11 on rare occasions). You're ruining the experience for other players. In deathmatches, you're also reducing the skill factor in both teams - if they now only have 35 kills to make, each self destruct counts for more, for example, meaning PvP skill factors are reduced. Don't do it. It makes you just as bad as people who purposely self destruct.

Now that's over with, on to actual achievement advice. Some achievements (flying "x" amount in a ship, winning "x" amount in a ship) are farmable. You just need to swap ships, each ship in the match counts towards the achievement. Other achievements (demolisher medals for example) are much harder to farm, because they rely on you actively doing something your opposing team wants to prevent you from doing.

As for mastering ships, no way around it - you need to do dailies and weeklies, and getting the daily bonus requisition on each ship is helpful too, but you can't shortcut it.

Now, I have a question too. What is the significance of achievements to you?