The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cartel Market Place Changes

If there is one thing that I really believe that the developers need to change is how we get mounts at random from the packs that they put up for sale in the market place. I do like that they are now adding besides animal creature mounts and hope that it will continue.

I find it very frustrating that they seem put a mount at random and you just do not know if you will get one or not. For example I purchased a 24 pack and I spent good money on it and did not get a single mount at all. Yes I was able to put most of the item for sale in the auction house but what a waste of my money.

Sure the other option is go you and try to bid on the mounts I would like in the auction house but to get more business the cartel market need to be re-designed so that the packs of items are each in their own group so the player can pick and choose what they want to buy.

Hope I am not the only one that feels this way and if they did this I think more players would go and purchase the mounts that would more that pay for itself to implement this.

Please make these much needed changes because you as developers would and should be wanting to encourage players to spend money in the cartel marketplace. As it is now it discourages me from spending money when as mentioned I can't get the mounts I want for my characters.

Edited by erichcs
Article Revision

Yeah, not gonna happen. You can easily swap "mount" for "weapon", "emote", "pet", or whatever else you want in the same suggestion/argument: "I bought X amount of packs and didn't get the ____ I want, so change the Cartel Market so I can get ____ directly/easier!" Random packs are random.

So basically, you want them to make the lotto no longer the lotto :confused:

No but I would like to see them make it a little more attractive. To be completely honest I never buy packs anymore because the RNG is forever NOT in my favor and I can just grind out dailies get the money and buy the stuff off the GTN for way less aggravation and ultimately way less real world money wasted on packs and ending up with trash drops from said packs.

I have purchased packs in the past and always end up ticked off that I get crap in them. So maybe a little less RNG beating would invite people like me back into the fold and get me to open up my wallet again. I think it's great if you disagree and you have wonderful luck and get ubber drops but I for one am sick of seeing my 10th minor social boost in a pack...

... but I for one am sick of seeing my 10th minor social boost in a pack...

You do realise those are in a slot, right? You'll always get a boost in a pack. It's padding. The best you can do is major XP boost, but more often than not you get flashpoint, class or space. There are only two slots (or one, for the smaller packs) where you can 'roll' a mount. A boost item will never take the place in a slot like that.

So just to clarify and this is what they need to by getting rid of the packs that are currently available for purchase in my opinion that will give the players more choices on what they want to buy and more players might go and purchase more items.

If I want to purchase a specific animal or machine mount their should be a tab that lists all the current mount avail for purchase, or if I want to purchase a experience boost their should be a tab that lists the available experience boosts for that, or if I want to purchase a character emote have a tab that lists the avail one for that, and for a companion gift have a tab that lists all the available companion gifts available for purchase.

This also applies to the different outfits that each character can wear and would like to purchase the whole outfit at 1 time instead of getting 1 item here or there in a different pack.

Edited by erichcs
post correction

I would spend all my money on cartel stuff if I could choose what I get from the packs :)

:/ I also find it anoying to be purchasing stuff at random and getting stuff I dont even want...

Maybe it would be nice to keep the random packs that way you have the chance to get the rare stuff cheaper but with bigger chance of getting only common items and the respective reputation trophy. But you can also purchase each pack's item directly from a special tab in the market or even from the collections window for a little higher price so its still balanced but ensuring you are puchasing the stuff you actually want.

This is why they have featured items every month. As others have said if you could gwt what you wanted easier you would buy less packs, not more. Currently if you want a varactyl mount you can just buy one, the Cavern Varactyl. Rare items from packs wouldn't be rare if they were everywhere.

What I am proposing is for the developers to seriously review which would in the long term make them more money and more players go there to shop in the cartel market place by either keeping the packs how it is or by as mentioned getting rid of the packs altogether and redesigning the CM so that we can pick and choose what we want.

I would think the 2nd option would encourage more purchases. Look for example how Trion has done in Rift with their in game market place store and how successful it is.

They probably did - well not the developers, but their product owner. This is probably the most effective.

And while I understand your frustration - don't forget that those things you want, you probably do want because they are rare. If you'd get them reliably, everyone and their mom would have em.

Sell the stuff you got from the packs, use those credits and buy the mount you want.

It would be very hard to get a 24 pack stack and not get 1-3 million creds from it. Even with really bad luck. If your mount it more expensive than that: Either you need to wait or you actually do want the rarest of the rare. And complain about not getting it. :o

The purpose of this post is not to complain but to share my thoughts if other players agree or disagree on how the cartel market is and what it really could be to do 2 important things, 1 to provide some really cool things for the players to go and purchase for use with their characters in the game, and 2 to encourage players to buy more cartel coins to this purchase more items.

Conclusion please continue to add a variety of cool stuff to purchase and please give us the much needed choices on what we want to buy or not is what needs to be changed.

Yeah, not gonna happen. You can easily swap "mount" for "weapon", "emote", "pet", or whatever else you want in the same suggestion/argument: "I bought X amount of packs and didn't get the ____ I want, so change the Cartel Market so I can get ____ directly/easier!" Random packs are random.

nothing is wrong with randomness, so long as it is actually random. i popped 25 dye packs, 2 in each, and got dozens of about the same 6 ugly dyes and a few, rare ugly dyes.

he doesn't want ___ at all. he just wants a mount. opening 24 packs should give at least one random mount, now whether he likes it or not is another thing.

how could it be possibly random if the only things you find in packs are emotes, pets, gear, and mounts, yet he didn't find a single mount? if you look in the collections tab you'll see that mounts actually take up quite a big portion of the possible outcomes.

each pack gives a rare with a chance of a super rare, minus the the boost, gift, and mats. all mounts are super rares, and i am guessing, based on my own pack luck, that a super rare is 20% for the 320 CC packs.

so, 1 in 5 packs gives a super rare, and there are 24 packs, but i will round to 25. there would be about 5 super rares in there. if you factor out the other super rares, which are weapons and crystals, you would probably get 1 or 2 mounts in there.

how could it be possibly random if the only things you find in packs are emotes, pets, gear, and mounts, yet he didn't find a single mount?

That's the Gambler's Fallacy in action though. Each 'event' (pack) is completely independent from each other, so previous failures to get what you want do not increase the odds of getting it in future packs. You can debate the 'fairness' of randomness, but that's just how math works; ten packs, or ten thousand packs, the odds remain the same (low).

That's the Gambler's Fallacy in action though. Each 'event' (pack) is completely independent from each other, so previous failures to get what you want do not increase the odds of getting it in future packs. You can debate the 'fairness' of randomness, but that's just how math works; ten packs, or ten thousand packs, the odds remain the same (low).

true, but sooner or later, if you buy enough, you will get what you want eventually. they are independent from one another, but keep playing russian roulette with a new cylinder every time and you are guaranteed to blow brain matter eventually. now if someone wants to waste the money and time to pop ten thousand packs to get it, that is another thing.

now there is that rare chance 10,000 won't give a single mount, but if that was the case i would have been killed killed by the Fons' consciousness within a cowboy cyborg stripper carebear on crystal meth with purple attack chihuahuas from the tenth dimension by now, so f%ck!

now it could be that this guy was a lucky little b@st@rd and cracked open 5 crystals, 5 mounts, and an entire, super-awesome armor set all in a row from 160 CC packs before and didn't tell us, but it bled out his luck and it will probably mean he'll get nothing he likes in 10 24-pack hypercrates.

luck is a supernatural thing that influences probability that works for (good) or against (bad) your goals. that is as much as anyone can say for certain about luck. all of the superstition about it is nonsense because no one actually knows anything about it other than what i just said, much less have any sway over it. anyone who says this or that is full of crap.

i personally think you must have entities that either like you or hate you in the spirit world, but 'luck' takes power they need to reserve it for the most critical moments to either end you or save you. they don't care about some MMO you had the dough to spend $50.00 for a hypercrate unless the mafia is going to break your knee caps if you don't get a cartel luxury skiff within the next 5 packs.

What I am proposing is for the developers to seriously review which would in the long term make them more money and more players go there to shop in the cartel market place by either keeping the packs how it is or by as mentioned getting rid of the packs altogether and redesigning the CM so that we can pick and choose what we want.

I would think the 2nd option would encourage more purchases. Look for example how Trion has done in Rift with their in game market place store and how successful it is.

I have to disagree. From a gamer/user perspective, I can see why you advocate the "2nd option" as you call it, but from a business perspective the "1st option" will net them more money over time. The packs are here to stay and they are working. When I say working, I mean a few things. They raise the profitability of the game (evidenced by people buying them posting the packs on the GTN...we know they are selling), give users access to unique items, and create a new type of sub-economy for users to participate in. What I am talking about with a "sub-economy" is that some users can buy packs in bulk and sell them to other users as a means to increase their credits, and the packs will always sell because of the potential (no matter how slim) to get something desirable out of the packs.