The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

unlockable dyes in collections tab

there are a couple armor sets in the collections tab i have unlocked for all my characters. unfortunately, i hate their color schemes. for every toon i have to buy some expensive dye off the gtn. if i want to switch to another armor set, that could also use some sprucing up, i have to buy a new dye because they are irremovable from their armor once applied.

color crystals are used to change the color of your weapons, and are part of the glorious collections tab program, so i was wondering if dyes could be the same way. they are both item modifications that change the appearance of your items. unfortunately i popped 25 dye packs and found mass quantities of around 8 variations of dyes. i think many different dyes should be findable in cartel packs or straight from the CM (which happens now), like the color crystals are. they can then be bound and added to your collections for more copies.

most of the dyes are crafted or bought from a reputation vendor, but what if you don't craft and don't have the required reputation? other than the gtn, which is notorious for overpricing, you only have dye packs, which have around 8 variations of mostly crappy colors. the dye packs also only give 2 dyes that are consumed on use, and cost an incredible 200 CC!!!

anyway i think this idea should be considered, but for the meantime i have the interceptor armor set which already has a wonderful color scheme!

Pass on this idea.

NO, NO, No,no

As a seller of dyes on the GTN I love that peeps need to purchase dyes, it is a revenue source for me. Buy some rares from the CM like "black and black" sit on them for a month or more then turn a profit of millions. Sorry but any suggestion that cuts my profit margin is a bad suggestion, what can I say greed is green and I am a glowing shade of it.

Reposting a reply I made in a prior thread because its relevant on several points......

Agreed, the dyes have to be originally purchased to have them to "collect" and the unlock price can be based off the tier of the dye, more for blue quality then green et cetera. Myself, I would buy -more- dyes just to unlock them just in case I might want to try them at a later date on gear I come accross.

To the above poster complaining that unlocking them will ruin your gouging profits, think of it this way. As it is right now, I -wont- be buying your expensive product off the GTN. If I could buy it to unlock however, there is an instant sale for you that wasn't possible before.

To mister greedy posting above, read my second paragraph.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

I really desire this option to be available. It will by no means hurt dye crafters and will only increase demand (and thus prices) on rare dyes. I'd rather pay 6 million for a black dye than 2 million for it being one-time-use. Edited by Alec_Fortescue

/signed

Hate being nickel and dimed for Dyes, especially considering the unbelievably limited options Dyewise when it coems to crafting and ESPECIALLY because im already paying a sub my dyes should cost creds not CASH.

No crafted item should be in collections. None. Never.

This suggestion, if implemented, should only apply to CM dyes. All the dyes that only come from crafters should never be in collections. People should always have to go to crafters or grind the reputation required to make their own for those colors.

No crafted item should be in collections. None. Never.

This suggestion, if implemented, should only apply to CM dyes. All the dyes that only come from crafters should never be in collections. People should always have to go to crafters or grind the reputation required to make their own for those colors.

Collections only work for CM items, not crafted ones. I don't believe it's being suggested anywhere that crafted dyes would be in collections. Crafted dyes in general don't got for amazing prices on GTN anyway, but regardless, that's not something you have to worry about, seeing them added to collections.

The CM dyes definitely should be added. To those worried about profits, I am like a poster noted above: I've yet to buy a single mufti-million credit dye. Just not going to blow that for a single toon. If they went into collections, however, I would have no issue doing so.

Pass on this idea.

NO, NO, No,no

As a seller of dyes on the GTN I love that peeps need to purchase dyes, it is a revenue source for me. Buy some rares from the CM like "black and black" sit on them for a month or more then turn a profit of millions. Sorry but any suggestion that cuts my profit margin is a bad suggestion, what can I say greed is green and I am a glowing shade of it.

So you don't want things unlocked in other peoples collections because YOU want to set around hording credits in a video game? ok. :rolleyes: People like you somehow justify a 1mil + price for a single use dye module....which imo is flat out ridiculous if not mental. I flat out refuse to pay that kind of price for a single use item. EVER.

I am (and have been since day 1) for adding dyes to collections or making all of them craftable. People have enough crap to sell on the GTN and can still sell dye if they can craft them. If armor sets, mounts, and pets can be added to collections and unlocked, then so should dyes. Period.

Heck, make the black/black dye cost one MMG and other grade 10 matts. As long as I can rely on myself to craft it and not ridiculous prices on GTN I will never pay.

Edited by DarthVengeant

• 2 weeks later...

That's a difficult one.

On one hand, YES. That's a good idea, for if you spent your CCs/millions of credits on that black/black module, it would be nice if you could use it if you decide to get different armour.

On the other hand... The best alternative for said black/black is craftable black/red. If I can just spam black/black from collections I would have no need to purchase craftable ones, making people making those dyes out of the job. (BTW, I buy black/red and red/black by dozens)

I would say this:

NO to reclaiming dyes from collections. (Unless it's character specific reclaiming, not legacy wide. That might work)

YES to dye crafting overhaul.

Maybe crafting specific colours and combining them into desired dyes; where most sought colours would be difficult/expensive to craft, so "old" system where you craft "cheap" already combined dyes still makes sense).

Edited by The_Natoorat

• 8 months later...

Ive seen alot of games hold strong restrictions on customizations behind oppressive pay-walls. We already have color crystals that can be used of you buy the option to accross your legacy. I dotn see why Dyes should be any different. not only do you need to buy them initially but you also have to pay cartel coins for the account wide option. And i know plenty of quite OCD people who would want to get EVERY dye to finish off their collection. If it ever goes down that we can buy them for legacy, the GTN would instantly empty of dyes.

That being said, i dont think CRAFTABLE dyes should be done the same way as CM dyes. And that's the point.

With craftable you know what you are getting, with CM dyes its random.

Pass on this idea.

NO, NO, No,no

e___e and with people like this guys is why the game doesnt progress...

I think I would prefer to have this added to collections and pay for coins to unlock them, at least money goes to BW to help game develpment even if I have to pay each time I need a second copy of a dye ratter than seeing people like this taking advantage of other player's needs and uploading the items to the GTN for stupid prices that are not even worth a consumable item.

Edited by Saito_Hiraga

• 2 years later...
Pass on this idea.

NO, NO, No,no

Same here as decorations also these 2 should not be able to be unlocked.

• 4 weeks later...
I think you all have a point seeing the cartel maraket dyes would be great so please bioware take a looking in seeing to please put the cartel maraket dyes in collections they have a good point yeah I want a black black dye well on harbinger my sever there are some going for over 750 mill that is insane but then we have the sellers around 20 mill range but that is still a lot for dyes I think so please see if you can help the players buy putting cartel maraket dyes in your next patch or the other because I get there point I myself have spent over 100mill on black and black dyes for all my toons that is insane please help the players