A good ranged class for me?

Cathest

Been thinking of making a Vanguard but was wondering if it is possible to build the class in a way so that its not so much melee attacks? (I don't know how different vanguard is, but I do have a 55 PT and I don't like how a lot of the attacks are pretty up close) so can you guys give me some tips on how to build a vanguard that is good from range? I also like the vanguards rifle look over just having a small pistol as a PT.

Thanks

edit: otherwise what other ranged class do you recommend? I do have a merc but am not a fan of commando. Gunslinger/sniper I have as well and not too excited over them. And op/scoundrel I guess are also "mid range"?

Edited by Cathest

Been thinking of making a Vanguard but was wondering if it is possible to build the class in a way so that its not so much melee attacks? (I don't know how different vanguard is, but I do have a 55 PT and I don't like how a lot of the attacks are pretty up close) so can you guys give me some tips on how to build a vanguard that is good from range? I also like the vanguards rifle look over just having a small pistol as a PT.

Thanks

edit: otherwise what other ranged class do you recommend? I do have a merc but am not a fan of commando. Gunslinger/sniper I have as well and not too excited over them. And op/scoundrel I guess are also "mid range"?

With respect you can't make a vanguard with range in mind, it is considered a melee class. Also an Operative/Scoundrel in terms of DPS is up close as well.

Thanks

Well... vanguard is pretty much the "republic bounty hunter" when it comes to range and abilities... they just have different names, effect and animations.

If you want to go PEW PEWS, there isn't much choice other than sniper, slinger, merc or commando.

If you want to use a blaster rifle, but still be at range, you can always go commando and use a rifle, but you'll lose around 15% of base damage.

Other ranged classes are sages and sorcerers.

Operatives and Scoundrels are mirror classes and they're as close range as vanguards and ptechs and all of them have very limited options when it comes to ranged abilities.

Summarizing, the ptech / vang and op / scoundrel are the "in your face" kind of classes.

Thanks

Do you mind if I ask what you don't like about the Commando? If I were to create a ranged DPS, that's what it would be.

I had an inquisitor that was also good at ranged DPS but I got tired of lightning everywhere.

One of the reasons I liked my Vanguard was that it could do everything. Sure, in instances you're doing it wrong if you don't spent most of your time close up, but I loved having that blaster rifle and so many ranged attacks available. It really helps you contribute when you're too far away from an enemy and it's lovely for grabbing aggro. I also like how mobile the class can be when it's specced properly.

Yes, part of me is really ticked off that there isn't a single class designed to fight at range with a normal old blaster rifle, but I don't really see a way around it. Maybe there's a Vanguard DPS spec that works at range?

Range classes.

Sniper/Gunslinger: Lots of CC(stuns), High damage output from ranged, casted abilities, immunity to leap and pull and interrupt while in cover, BEST DPS class atm. Low activity, low movement. Relaxed turret playstyle with the occasional reposition.

Commando/Mercenary: medium mobility, Instant and cast abilities, off heals, huge dps if left to cast, weak to melee. Good Healer. Medium movement, few DCDs and CC. Easy rotation.

Sage/Sorcerer: Good CC, high DPS if left alone, cast and instant abilities, off heals, best raid healer, good dot spec, very mobile, very high movement active playstyle. Weak to melee other rDPS when DCDs down. Light armor.

I like sniper/GS best for a range class but go Sage/Sorc if you want a lightsaber.

Vanguard and scoundrel are melee. You cant make them ranged with success.

Range classes.

Sniper/Gunslinger: Lots of CC(stuns), High damage output from ranged, casted abilities, immunity to leap and pull and interrupt while in cover, BEST DPS class atm. Low activity, low movement. Relaxed turret playstyle with the occasional reposition.

Commando/Mercenary: medium mobility, Instant and cast abilities, off heals, huge dps if left to cast, weak to melee. Good Healer. Medium movement, few DCDs and CC. Easy rotation.

Sage/Sorcerer: Good CC, high DPS if left alone, cast and instant abilities, off heals, best raid healer, good dot spec, very mobile, very high movement active playstyle. Weak to melee other rDPS when DCDs down. Light armor.

I like sniper/GS best for a range class but go Sage/Sorc if you want a lightsaber.

Vanguard and scoundrel are melee. You cant make them ranged with success.

Sage/Sorcerer and Commando/Mercenary have (in my opinion) a few significant advantages over the Gunslinger/Sniper:

1. CC: Both these ACs have the 'incapacitate any one target for one minute' abilities, which is extremely nice to have normally and essential for soloing content that was not intended to be soloed. The Slinger/Sniper version, unfortunately, is limited to droids only.
  2. Heals: Actually healing abilities are very nice, and synergize nicely with CCs in harder content (CC boss, kill trash, heal up self and companion, break CC and kill boss).
  3. AoE: Ranged Troopers/Hunters have a huge variety of AoE options, and the Sage / Sorc have a small selection of effective AoEs, while the Marksman/Sniper is really weak in this area (grenades are great at low level but don't seem to scale well, the channeled mid-level AoE takes too long, hit too few targets, and does nothing to prevent targets from running out of the area, and the end game ability, while still nice, now hits like a wet noodle).
  4. 'No Cover For You!': Okay, this is more of a pet peeve from leveling my Marksman Sniper, but the use of 'You can not enter cover' abilities by mobs just annoyed me. A lot.

Needless to say, my opinion is (unfortunately) not the only one, and your own mileage may vary...