The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official Word on the Fate of the EU from StarWars.com

DarthDymond

I've got mixed feelings about this. I've never got into the Post-ROTJ EU, but a lot of people held dearly to that. I'm kinda pissed off becaus I had just bought the Mandalorian Armor novel past month and it may be non-canon now. :mon_frown:

EDIT: Not just post-ROTJ, but everything EU before today is now under this "Legends" banner. Even KOTOR! Check this out:

So now swtor isn't cannon either? Smdh.....that's GARBAGE!

*Drops mic & starts a Rebellion to fight evil emperor Mickey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abit I'm more of a ROTE EU kinda person. I mean I have really only delved into the post-ROTJ EU with Crimson Empire, which that at least should still be canon. As far as what the Imperial Guardsmen go through and Kir Kanos should still very well be a character, considering that there were flashbacks of him training as a Royal Guard, so as far as the training of the Imperial Royal Guard, it should still be alright to reference and so forth.

I just hope Rebels won't throw away any ROTE EU, or at least nothing big. I would think not, but we shall see. Apart from TFU, that by all accounts of what we are seeing, the quotes, the symbol of the Rebels crew, etc, it should be pretty much gone. Sorry Beni, but it just looks that way, it's all pointing to it.

So, since Legends stuff will still be in making are we going I am assuming some will prefer the "cannon" and some the "legend" Honestly I am ok with it, Since there will be Cannon cannon, and Legend Cannon. Edited by tunewalker

So, since Legends stuff will still be in making are we going I am assuming some will prefer the "cannon" and some the "legend"

Right now we don't know that they will ever make anything else in the Legends universe.

I, for one am hoping that the existence of a specific imprint will give them the opportunity to keep that universe "alive" (I want my Sword of the Jedi novels, I want more Vestra Khai, and I want more about the Imperial Knights, dammit).

But it is entirely possible (even likely) that while SWTOR will get "grandfathered in" and be allowed to live out its life for however many years it stays profitable, it will be the only actively supported "Legends" title and nothing else will ever be produced taking place in "this" universe.

Edited by DarthDymond

So, since Legends stuff will still be in making are we going I am assuming some will prefer the "cannon" and some the "legend" Honestly I am ok with it, Since there will be Cannon cannon, and Legend Cannon.

Didn't they say they may draw from Legend depending on what happens? But /shrug, fine with me really....oh and also folks, Sidious is still more powerful than Vitiate. Just pointing that out incase there were some who think otherwise, again you didn't need to touch the post-ROTJ to figure it out.

oh and also folks, Sidious is still more powerful than Vitiate. Just pointing that out incase there were some who think otherwise, again you didn't need to touch the post-ROTJ to figure it out.

There's going to be fallout over that. Fortunately, I've already prepared a new set of arguments in preparation for that eventuality.

There's going to be fallout over that. Fortunately, I've already prepared a new set of arguments in preparation for that eventuality.

Good, good. ;)

But really, the only thing Sidious showed that pre-post ROTJ Sidious didn't was the Force Storm ability. Everything else? Should well be within his ability to do.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Good, good. ;)

But really, the only thing Sidious showed that pre-post ROTJ Sidious didn't was the Force Storm ability. Everything else? Should well be within his ability to do.

Obviously, but that won't stop people from trying.

Honestly, all you have to do is read the ROTS novel.

Obviously, but that won't stop people from trying.

Honestly, all you have to do is read the ROTS novel.

I actually pondered on bringing that up a few times, that one novel tells it all. But I kept sayin "Nahh" lol.

I think you just broke the English language.

I wasn't sure how else to put it. XD Shush! I'm tired ok?! :p

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I actually pondered on bringing that up a few times, that one novel tells it all. But I kept sayin "Nahh" lol.

Well it does. It really does! Here is all you need to show Sidious' superiority:

Revenge of the Sith movie

Revenge of the Sith novel

Shatterpoint

Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Power of the Jedi

Heck, you could probably scrap half of those and still see why Sidious wins.

I should probably rewrite a new analysis for that debate. Make some changes, expand on a few things. You know how it is. I'm bored, so may as well.

So now swtor isn't cannon either? Smdh.....that's GARBAGE!

*Drops mic & starts a Rebellion to fight evil emperor Mickey

she said she doesn't know about the old republic era. she also asked people to stop asking her about it because she doesn't know.

she said she doesn't know about the old republic era. she also asked people to stop asking her about it because she doesn't know.

Even without an official word from Heddle or anyone else on the matter, I find it really hard to believe that in the midst of clearing off all the rest of the EU they would keep the distant past stuff as official, binding canon.

If anything is going be treated as "Hey guys, take elements or inspiration from the stuff you like, but don't worry about making changes if you think it'll be better" it would be the stuff that's taking place thousands of years in the past. And that's what the non-canon stuff is now - potential inspiration.

Edited by DarthDymond

Even without an official word from Heddle or anyone else on the matter, I find it really hard to believe that in the midst of clearing off all the rest of the EU they would keep the distant past stuff as official, binding canon.

If anything is going be treated as "Hey guys, take elements or inspiration from the stuff you like, but don't worry about making changes if you think it'll be better" it would be the stuff that's taking place thousands of years in the past. And that's what the non-canon stuff is now - potential inspiration.

KOTOR and SWTOR has never been "binding canon". not ever. its status is the same now has it always has been. the only "binding canon" is the movies and TCW and that is how its always been. so this new announcement doesn't really change anything other than to let us all know the new movies are not going to be tied down by some of the outrageous post endor EU stuff.

the other thing is, going forward, new EU material will be controlled by "the story group". which should be really good news for every fan of star wars.

Edited by MiaRB

KOTOR and SWTOR has never been "binding canon". not ever. its status is the same now has it always has been. the only "binding canon" is the movies and TCW and that is how its always been. so this new announcement doesn't really change anything other than to let us all know the new movies are not going to be tied down by some of the outrageous post endor EU stuff.

the other thing is, going forward, new EU material will be controlled by "the story group". which should be really good news for every fan of star wars.

Maybe so but there is a path now because of tcw. I series 6, darth bane was featured, in one of his novels he finds revans holocron... so KOTOR KOTOR2 darth bane and TOR must be canon...

Maybe so but there is a path now because of tcw. I series 6, darth bane was featured, in one of his novels he finds revans holocron... so KOTOR KOTOR2 darth bane and TOR must be canon...

A LFL senior employee has stated the Darth Bane novels and Darth Plagueis novel are in the "legends" category. So to the people here thinking the Old republic era is safe. it isnt.

Edited by Girdeux

Ya after doing a double take on it....EVERYTHING seems to be pulled into Legends except for the movies, the novelizations of said movies and TCW.

This is correct.

Brad Ketchmark ‏@TheRealBMoney23 7h

@jenheddle @OfficeTrooper29 Is KOTOR, Darth Bane, and Darth Plagueis all being wiped?

Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle 5h

@TheRealBMoney23 @OfficeTrooper29 They are now "Legends" but remember Darth Bane and Darth Plagueis are canon characters created by George.

This is correct.

Brad Ketchmark ‏@TheRealBMoney23 7h

@jenheddle @OfficeTrooper29 Is KOTOR, Darth Bane, and Darth Plagueis all being wiped?

Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle 5h

@TheRealBMoney23 @OfficeTrooper29 They are now "Legends" but remember Darth Bane and Darth Plagueis are canon characters created by George.

She also went on to say :

Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle 6h

@TheRealBMoney23 @OfficeTrooper29 So those stories about them are just as good as any! They are canonical characters in the SW universe.

Later on she answered another question with this:

Brad Ketchmark ‏@TheRealBMoney23 3h

@jenheddle @OfficeTrooper29 what about Revan? I am very dissapointed in Disney right now

Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle 3h

@TheRealBMoney23 @OfficeTrooper29 Old Republic is a fuzzy area for me, I can't answer you with 100% confidence.

Truth be told I don't think they're clear on what they're doing with the Old Republic era.

Edited by Jonacea

This is excellent news. One of my biggest issues I've had ever since they announced the timeline placement of the new films has been what role the EU will play. I'm glad they've decided not to let themselves be held down by the EU material; this will allow for maximum creative freedom on Lucasfilm's part. Hopefully as more plot information is released over the months, we'll get more glimpses at what parts of the post-RotJ EU Lucasfilm's story group is planning on keeping and what parts they'll be de-canonizing.

Just because the character appears onscreen doesn't necessarily mean that his backstory is the same as it was in the EU. Remember that Boba Fett was once the alter ego of renegade stormtrooper Jaster Mareel, but anyone who's seen the prequel trilogy knows his true backstory.

After all, Bane, just like Fett, is originally a Lucasfilm creation. Just because the EU was the first to give him a backstory doesn't mean that Lucasfilm is banned from giving him an updated one to fit with the new trilogy.

Edited by Sanguiluna

Really, someone needs to just clarify SWTOR for me. Not because I will or will not stop playing the game. But because I'm curious.

KOTOR 1 and 2? Legends. However, the story team is credited on Galactic Starfighter. In fact it is their first published credit anywhere. So SWTOR involved the story team in some way.

AND you could argue that since SWTOR will be continuing to add new content after the new launch of new books here, it could still be considered canon. SWTOR could be considered part of the new stuff, since its retroactively creating new content from the Star Wars universe-- which all media is now canon.

So what's the official word? Anyone at Bioware know? I imagine this won't be clarified immediately, but I really hope we would get a classification on this soon.

Edited by ericpeterson

Really, someone needs to just clarify SWTOR for me. Not because I will or will not stop playing the game. But because I'm curious.

KOTOR 1 and 2? Legends. However, the story team is credited on Galactic Starfighter. In fact it is their first published credit anywhere. So SWTOR involved the story team in some way.

AND you could argue that since SWTOR will be continuing to add new content after the new launch of new books here, it could still be considered canon. SWTOR could be considered part of the new stuff, since its retroactively creating new content from the Star Wars universe-- which all media is now canon.

So what's the official word? Anyone at Bioware know? I imagine this won't be clarified immediately, but I really hope we would get a classification on this soon.

I'm sure we'll get word relatively soon, but with the news being less than 24 hours old at this point it'll probably be a little while yet before they outline all the contours of it.

Edited by DarthDymond

After reading the text and watching the clip, I have very mixed feelings. From the text alone, my feelings are very negative. The clip though made me believe that they really have good intents and the respect of the featured people in the video seems very honest.

For me, personally, I have to say that I am a person who needs things be "official". I don't know what psychological issue this is, but if they tell me that Swtor is only "legend", I completely lose interest in it. It then has the same value as stuff which I make up in my own head. I surely could still play the game (as a game), but knowing that not one bit of all the stories has any worth, kills 99% of my fun.

I am sure that many people think similar about many different aspects of Star Wars like this. So, the new story team should do their very best to take as many EU things into the official canon. Every bit taken out, is lost money for them, because there are people who back off because of that bit.

For me, the Old Republic era is the one that matters the most to me. In fact, I never cared for the post-Endor stuff, I don't even know most of these stories. Future is not so interesting for me. I prefer dwelling in the past. ;)

As some people pointed out: Darth Bane was featured in TCW as well as Moriband/Korriban and Revan (although I don't remember myself that he was mentioned). So, taken them by their words, that at least means that these three are now officially Canon.

Now, the story team has two options: a) They figure out (when and if there will be a need for it) whole new storylines for e. g. Revan and Bane or b) they take the already existing ones. Since this past era is not their main focus, it would be only logical to make TOR officially Canon. (But yes, here writes someone who WANTS that, I know.)

Also, on a more material note: Swtor nowadays brings in a lot of money (if it's true). So, Disney, even though not officially involved in this game, can make money with it, too. The fanbase is obviously huge enough. Now, the question for them is: Will we make more money with Swtor if it has "legend" status or if it has "canon" status? I don't know the answer, but I'm sure that there is a measurable amount of players who lose interest if all the stories here become useless. I'm one of them. But maybe I only speak for myself. (Well, I know at least one more person who thinks the same: a guildie of mine.) ;)

As some people pointed out: Darth Bane was featured in TCW as well as Moriband/Korriban and Revan (although I don't remember myself that he was mentioned). So, taken them by their words, that at least means that these three are now officially Canon.

You seem to be under the assumption that Darth Bane was an EU character. He isnt, his a Lucas creation and was mentioned in TPM novelization. Revan never appeared in TCW, it was cut. And it seem now that Moriband has always been known as Moriband with the new continuity.

You seem to be under the assumption that Darth Bane was an EU character. He isnt, his a Lucas creation and was mentioned in TPM novelization. Revan never appeared in TCW, it was cut. And it seem now that Moriband has always been known as Moriband with the new continuity.

Actually, while writing that particular episode the Team called it korriban, but, George swooped in and changed it at last minute...