FT-7B Clarion Bug

Yndras

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but the shields at default power are green/yellow, it should be green/green Switching this to full power lasers has no effect on the shield strength, which should in essence make them weaker.

Changing to full shields will still make the shields go green/blue, but reverting back to even power(f4) drops the shields to 80%(or whatever the number is) or green/yellow

COuld we get confirmation of this? Is it effecting the overall shield strength of the clarion? I am Using shield projectors, and there were questions earlier about this not working correctly.

Edited by Yndras

I've seen this happen on other ships before. I think hardly anyone ever flies with balanced power, though.

I use balanced power distribution frequently. It is particularly useful when you need weapon and engine power regen (when close fighting more than 1 other "dogfighter" especially) simultaneously.

When you need both of those it is more efficient to just swap between them. Running neutral wastes energy on shield.

It depends on whether you think you'll take a hit. You are correct that swapping makes better use of the regen- because in this hypothetical, you aren't worried about blaster power, and F4 shunts some to that- but if you are trying to get back engine power while also keeping a shield arc in play, F4 can have a role.

When you need both of those it is more efficient to just swap between them. Running neutral wastes energy on shield.

Have balanced power = 100% normal shields

Having high weapons or engine power = 90% normal shields

And you call that a waste?

Have balanced power = 100% normal shields

Having high weapons or engine power = 90% normal shields

And you call that a waste?

You shouldn't be using more than one pool at a time, if you are your doing it wrong.

The only situation where you would need two pools is a head to head where you need shields and weapons, but in that situation your wasting power on engines by using balanced.

Seriously L2PowerSwap. I frequently change my power settings, sometimes once every 3-4 seconds.

You shouldn't be using more than one pool at a time, if you are your doing it wrong.

The only situation where you would need two pools is a head to head where you need shields and weapons, but in that situation your wasting power on engines by using balanced.

Seriously L2PowerSwap. I frequently change my power settings, sometimes once every 3-4 seconds.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I sit at balanced ALL the time, but I don't. I change power settings as needed. Also, I am old/wise enough to step back and see benefit where most kids think that there is only one way to do something.

And seriously, when one on one you need engine regen too. When you get a lock-on sound it is too late to power to engines if they are clusters.

Oh last thought... all the power pools add up to 100% of your power usage. If you are regenerating weapons, shields and engines, THAT is efficiency. If you are using "one" at a time, then you are wasting the other two, even if they are reduced that power is being sent their way.

I think we're getting caught up in "efficiency" vs "effectiveness". I never use F4, but maybe I'm doing it wrong (i also started using shields when dogfighting a scout in my GS, cuz lord knows I'm gonna die either way). Also, if you've put power to one thing, the two others won't receive 100% I'm pretty sure this applies to F4 also - you can have one thing at max power, but everything else takes a hit. If you're using the "disperse to all" button, all of them will be running, albeit at lower efficiency than if one of the pools were selected. Don't quote my math though as I've failed Calculus 7 times (but passed on the 8th!!! woot!).

Oh last thought... all the power pools add up to 100% of your power usage. If you are regenerating weapons, shields and engines, THAT is efficiency. If you are using "one" at a time, then you are wasting the other two, even if they are reduced that power is being sent their way.

Except your failing to realize that power levels also give direct bonuses. For instance power to weapons is +10% damage over balanced. There is no situation where you would ever want to fire your weapon without having power to weapons because of this. Conversly any other situation.

Also regenerateion is cheap, if my weapon power is near bottomed out but I need to chase a guy, I will go to power to engines because even with power to engines I still regenerate plenty of power.

Is balanced the most efficient way for overall power? Yes. Is balanced actually useful in a practical situation? No

Except your failing to realize that power levels also give direct bonuses. For instance power to weapons is +10% damage over balanced.

Is this right? I've never seen it listed as a +10% before. I've never seen specific power management details listed on any GSF guide before....every guide out there just seems to say 'if you want weapons, put power to weapons...if you want to travel a lot, put power to engines...'

I've been waiting for a post like this to ask several questions I have with power management, or if somebody can point me to a link that describes this, please do so!

-Is the 10% weapon damage accurate if power is applied to weapons? If using a bomber, does this boost the damage of mines and/or drones? Does this apply to railguns and missiles?

---Random side question: Does damage overcharge affect damage from mines/drones/etc?

-When you put power to shields, along with faster shield regeneration, how much does your shield power increase? If in a bomber, does this affect shielding on your drones, etc?

-When you put power to engines, along with making you regain engine power faster, does it make you fly faster? If so, how much? Does this speed increase apply to only boosting or normal flying also?

-When you get a powerup (other than the Damage overcharge), does it completely max out one of your three power pool options? If you get the weapon powerup, and you put power to weapons, is that considered a complete waste or is there any additive bonus with 'stacking' them together? I always switch power to weapons if I get the engine powerup, or vice versa, because I assume they don't stack together (but I've never been sure).

Increasing power to a pool boosts its regeneration rate by 50%, and reduces the regeneration rate of the other two pools by 25%.

Increasing weapon power boosts damage by 10%, while increasing shield or engine power reduces weapon damage by 5%

Increasing shield power boosts max shield capacity by 20%, while increasing weapon or engine power reduces shield capacity by 10%

Increasing engine power boosts max speed by 20%, while increasing weapon or shield power reduces max speed by 10%

All of the power pools have a "normal" regeneration rate and a slower "recently consumed" regeneration rate. Anything that consumes energy (taking a shield hit, using your engine boosters, getting hit by an ion railgun, etc) will cause the affected pool to switch to its "recently consumed" rate for several seconds (determined by the "delay" stat for each pool).

The default numbers for each are:

Weapons: Pool capacity 100, regen 10/s, recently consumed 4/s, delay 1.5s

Engines: Pool capacity 100, regen 5/s, recently consumed 2/s, delay 3s

Shields: Pool capacity varies, regen 5%/s, recently consumed 0/s, delay 6s

I haven't seen any bugs cross my plate about energy behaving strangely near the bottom of the pool, but if you have steps to reliably reproduce the glitch let us know.

The ideal thing to do at the bottom of the pool should be to stop firing, wait at least 1.5 seconds for the regeneration rate to kick into high gear, then open fire when you think you have enough energy built up to finish your opponent (although it may make sense to fire a bit early if you get a shot lined up and need to prevent the shield from regenerating).

Primary weapon accuracy and damage are linearly interpolated between the short, medium, and long distances (so it's smooth, not abrupt). Everything closer than short distance uses the short values.

5char

Edited by Loc_n_lol

Is balanced actually useful in a practical situation? No

If you have just eaten an ion rail, balanced is the most efficient and most practical as Ion Rail attacks all three pools simultaneously. Adding power re-gen to just one pool is pointless as it still has to wait for its recently consumed timer to finish meaning it will not regen any faster than the other two pools anyway.. By adding power to all systems, you recover your ship as a whole quicker as you are pouring equalling into three systems simultaneously as opposed to on system twice as fast, when that system is full, your other systems are still 50% behind.. If you equalise your power, when the timers end all systems get fast initial ticks. You can then change to a priority system depending on your situation.

Having it as it is currently(Im certain its bugged) means that neither of the 3 pools are at full power efficiency and that you don't actually know where your power is going, making it well, useless.

Edited by Yndras

1) Ion rail bans all regeneration

2) If your hit with Ion you want to regen your engine above everything else so you can get away.

Seriously regenerating weapons and shields are useless since they won't get you away from that next railshot.

1) Ion rail bans all regeneration

2) If your hit with Ion you want to regen your engine above everything else so you can get away.

Seriously regenerating weapons and shields are useless since they won't get you away from that next railshot.

QFT. If you are fully locked by ion you #1 priority is to regen enough engine to ****.