Please go back to the old Armour numbering system

BaronV

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, The armor rating was up top to let us know if it was 180 or whatever. Having it where the 69/72/etc is confuses the hell out of me. Being 55 doesn't make it any less confusing. I agree it should go back to how it was. It's something we're used to with it being that way for 2.5 years.

And it's not that change is bad, just change that confuses players isn't really a good idea.

This change is an immense improvement. KISS. Keep it simple.

The alternative numbering system we had before was overly complex. Why have two systems? At least with this new system I know exactly where my gear stands.

KISS fails here because they picked the MOST COMPLEX of the three numbering systems to keep, and got rid of the SIMPLEST one.

Few people use rating below level 50 simply because it was complex and had no easily-discernible relationship to level. Most everyone used the "item level" system because it was easy to understand.

Edited by Khevar

KISS fails here because they picked the MOST COMPLEX of the three numbering systems to keep, and got rid of the SIMPLEST one.

Few people use rating below level 50 simply because it was complex and had no easily-discernible relationship to level. Most everyone used the "item level" system because it was easy to understand.

QFT. Very poor choice of numbering to keep.

Gear rating was already presented in old version. Just under gear name.

So we was having all info we need.

1. Mod level.

2. Rating.

Thats all.

Now i have to watch in armor for mods level...

Bioware, good job on changes, that no one needs :confused:

I've used rating since the game came out.

Removing the goofy "level number" on mods is a GREAT thing. One system: iLvL. FINALLY.

You'll note that I said "few", not "everyone"

When I got into serious lowbie gear crafting, I tried to figure out the "math" of the rating system. It's not even remotely intuitive. Green gear is like ( rating / 2 - 4 ) == level required. Even worse, the blue / purple rating doesn't have a consistent formula.

Your so-called "goofy" level number is the required level to use + 1. Odd, but pretty darn easy to understand. How does an 84-rated mod relate to a level 33 character? Do you follow what I'm trying to say here? It's unintuitive.

If they really wanted to use rating exclusively instead of level numbers, the very least they could have done were to use a better rating system that had more consistent logic applied to it.

Edited by Khevar

Simply put, the new system of numbering armour mods is SO CONFUSING!, especially with levelling gear (<55)

What was wrong with the old one. Right now if Im level 21 I have no clue what "Armour rating 64" means!! Even for 55 it was easy to remember the level number rather than the item rating:(

Please go back to the old way of numbering it. It was easy and straightforward.

Bioware, If it aint broke dont fix it!

It was broke, you are just too set in your ways to know the difference.

Under the old system, 3 mods of the same level, of Green, Blue, and Purple quality were all quantified by the same number, in the new system the number equates to the actual power of the object.

If you get a new item with a higher number it will ALWAYS be an upgrade under the new system, but under the old system a higher numbered green item could be worse than currently equipped lower numbered Blue/Purple items.

Also, item levels still show on tooltips, near the bottom. All my modded gear shows the minimum level I need to be to wear it. My empty gear says level 1, my modded gear from leveling says 53.

If you want better tooltips, go to Options, User Interface, then scroll down to Tooltip and select Show Detailed Item Tooltips.

Edited by MaximusRex

I've used rating since the game came out.

Removing the goofy "level number" on mods is a GREAT thing. One system: iLvL. FINALLY.

The armor, barrels, etc are still "blank" armoring 34 and so on, so why not keep that visible in the preview? If you go to buy armor and mods off the GTN they will still say "blank" mod 34 and so on. Now there's the fun of going looking at the additional rating to figure out what's what. Why add in that extra pain after how things had been for all this time?

It was always quick and easy to look and see this piece was a 69, that's a 78.

Now we get the joy of relating 156 to 66, and so on. Some I already knew just because, but it's a change that I don't recall anyone asking for. The only concession I will give to it is that it will make it easier for people to look at see the recommended gearing for HMs and Ops more easily, though again that rating was always displayed in the top of the tool tip. This just wasn't a great QoL change.

while it may be annoying at earlier levels armor always showed the rating, except when I was looking at levels to identify the appropriate item to craft I always looked at the rating anyway. IMO showing the armor level was never useful since you either had the right level to equip it or you didn't, it never told you whether it was necessarily an improvement over your current gear (a purple item could in theory be equal to or more powerful to a green/blue item 1-2 levels higher so focusing on the level number could totally mislead you into thinking higher level = better). With rating you just compare it to your current rating to figure out if it's an improvement except this time you can actually see whether a higher level piece is actually an improvement or not.

Do you actually use purple mods before level 50? I guess, that's one way to waste crafting materials.

It was broke, you are just too set in your ways to know the difference.

Under the old system, 3 mods of the same level, of Green, Blue, and Purple quality were all quantified by the same number, in the new system the number equates to the actual power of the object.

If you get a new item with a higher number it will ALWAYS be an upgrade under the new system, but under the old system a higher numbered green item could be worse than currently equipped lower numbered Blue/Purple items.

Yes, the gear rating scale takes care the subtleties between gree/blue/purple but that barely matters.

While leveling, what matters is the level of the content you are trying to do.

"hey, anyone up for lowbie mando raiders? "

"what level is that ?"

Someone asking "what gear rating you need for that ?" would be simply absurd. The fact is, as long as you are at the proper level and with item levels about that, is irrelevant if they are greens, blues or purples

And for end game, the capability of showing differences between green/blue/purple gear is even more worthless, since there is only purple.

Yes, nice feat that it shows those differences, but that's not something worth it, not to remove a system that is both simple and intuitive for leveling.

Simply put, the new system of numbering armour mods is SO CONFUSING!, especially with levelling gear (<55)

What was wrong with the old one. Right now if Im level 21 I have no clue what "Armour rating 64" means!! Even for 55 it was easy to remember the level number rather than the item rating:(

Please go back to the old way of numbering it. It was easy and straightforward.

Bioware, If it aint broke dont fix it!

I thought it was a bug, until I read the patch notes, then I was just like *** why?!?! Now I have no idea what level mods I even have in my stuff on my lowbies, I have to open the piece of gear, then cursor over each mod to see what level they are.

You'll get over it. Time to move on.

Of course, we'll get over it. It will eventually become business as usual.

No more inspection just to see what the heck is going on.

Eh? You're not making any sense. Are you purposefully being obtuse about the disagreement with the new system?

At a glance this system is immensely better.

It must be interesting on the planet you live on.

Edited by Khevar

I don`t like it either, but seeing as it was already dumped once in favor of the previous way of gauging gear, now it came back, and seeing all the screaming about gear rating requirements, probably this is the first step towards it.

Some will like it, some won`t, but I don`t think the old system is coming back.

At a glance this system is immensely better. No more inspection just to see what the heck is going on.

You'll get over it. Time to move on. Welcome to real life.

I don't know about the reality you live in but it's not the same I live in.

You need passwords for everything. There just isn't way to memorize all item rating from 10 to 55 and their level req.

Only way they can now help people is by doing list of item rating reqs for leveling content. For example 76 for Mando Raiders, 68(?) for Athiss, 50 for HamStation.

Edited by Halinalle

I don't know about the reality you live in but it's not the same I live in.

You need passwords for everything. There just isn't way to memorize all item rating from 10 to 55 and their level req.

Only way they can now help people is by doing list of item rating reqs for leveling content. For example 76 for Mando Raiders, 68(?) for Athiss, 50 for HamStation.

One way would be, when leveling, to see which is your highest rating for the level you want to buy gear for. Example: You are lvl 30. You can buy level 29 and 31, for whatever rating those pieces are (let`s assume 79 and 82 - I`m pulling numbers out of my butt like Houdini, but it`s for a good cause). You decide if you push one more level for 31, or buy for 29. Either way, you check the rating of the best piece you are buying - and try to get as close to it, without going over - so, you will either buy only any rating lower or equal than 79, or 82.

Not perfect, but it`s a start. Once you`ll get to 55, it will come naturally, since you would have only ratings to deal with and you will never deal with more than 3 tiers, or shouldn`t.

Edited by Styxx

Example: You are lvl 30. You can buy level 29 and 31, for whatever rating those pieces are (let`s assume 79 and 82 - I`m pulling numbers out of my butt like Houdini, but it`s for a good cause).

Level 27: 72

Level 29: 76

Level 31: 80

I only know these because I have to deal with these numbers currently.

Edited by Halinalle