Besides the screams of your dying opponents, what other tunes drive your GSF mayhem?

Sidenti

It turned out to be a fun discussion topic on the Hawk, so I figured I'd ask the general community: What's on your playlists while you're zooming around GSF space?

I generally hit Shadowrend68's techno mix on YouTube, or 331ERock's metal mashups on same site. Something about hitting Barrel Roll at just the right moment while "Sword Art Online Meets Metal" or Knife Party's "Rage Valley" are playing... I dunno, man. It's just awesome.

What about you guys? -bp

Edited by Sidenti

I generally have my Itunes mix playing. I have eclectic tastes so I will have anything from Metallica to John Mayer, Korn to Eminem, Mudvayne to Pink Floyd, Missy Higgins to Machine Head.etc. I do like listening to music at a reasonably low volume while pvping. I usually like it loud but missing that missile lock sound is a killer :p

Typically depends on my mood, current state of mind, and what mindset I want to be in. Usually I need to play more aggressively and favor the aggro-tech style for that. If I don't need so much aggression, but still want the feeling of energy I'll take some of the aggro-tech and mix in some other electronic style stuff such as less harsh "industrial", drum and bass, glitch, and assorted bits from other styles. Anger and aggression (normally not too helpful in GSF or other PvP) is a mix of hardcore, post-hardcore, metalcore, deathcore, and some metal, if it involves screaming or growling it probably goes here. When I need to "reset" myself I'll put on some post-rock/post-metal, stuff like ISIS, Red Sparowes, Russian Circles, Pelican, This Will Destroy You, etc.

If I'm playing some half competent players I just listen to the sounds of the game because those can often telegraph what is going to happen next.

If I'm flying against 2 shippers it is Pantera, Dream Theater, the first 4 Metallica albums and maybe some RAtM if I'm feeling a bit more mellow.

Dance music and hip hop just doesn't get my pvp blood pumping.

I find music interferes too much with distinguishing missile lock tones.

Nah dude, just use visual cues. Tab around everything and figure out who's getting the lock on you. It's no harder than finding out what gunships are where, right?

Nah dude, just use visual cues. Tab around everything and figure out who's getting the lock on you. It's no harder than finding out what gunships are where, right?

If missiles required you to sit in one place 10km out and were associated with incredibly obvious glowing then this analogy might be appropriate.

The game's soundtrack. Always.

Normally I'd agree, but after 700~ games and given how they've felt the need to add it to the ambient music of pretty much everywhere I frequent ingame, I don't know. Kind of tired of it.

As an obligate blackbolt pilot and gunship hounding adrenaline junkie, this:

Nothing gets your blood pumping like flying an eggshell thin blackbolt at absurd speeds through tight quarters trying to shake some peeved strike off my 6 while also chasing down a gunship to force feed him his own railgun.

I find music interferes too much with distinguishing missile lock tones.

How..?

If I am in the mood for non-game music I just go into settings and turn off the music, so I can listen to my music but retain all the soundeffects.

And even when I'm just listening to the game's music, I still have the sound effects volume at 30% and music at 100% and have no difficulty distinguishing locks and other audio cues (like my pyro's laugh when he gets his proc) but I suppose this depends a lot on the music, I suppose rock and techno music might cause issues.