The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Add Dyes to collections?

Seriously, the Black and Black one (basically the one everyone wants) is incredibly expensive. I don't see it in cartel market (is it?) but if it's there I bet is insanely expensive too.

I don't mind paying what? 2000 CC? Okay, but add it to my collections so I can have it on my other characters too.

Hi :)

The black/black dye pack was on the cartel market for a limited time.

But I do agree with your point on adding dye packs to collections so that all characters can access them. Otherwise it would be very expensive to buy the same dye pack that's worth a LOT of credits for each character.

:ph_thank_you:

Yep, I gotta say I'm sick of hemorrhaging massive credits on stupid rare dyes. I mean, I know — "You don't need to buy dyes..."

You don't need to log in, either. The look of my characters is extremely important to me and helps make the game awesome, so yes, I'm willing to spend heavily on cosmetics. I have no issue spending a lot to get a good-looking Speeder or Custom armor set.

But with dyes, it really is a new level of burden. They are just too limited / demanding.

I usually prefer to do everything with credits, but this is one of those situations where BioWare would get a massive influx of CC out of me if they made dyes directly purchaseable and/or unlockable in Collections.

It is plausible that the GTN cost of a single dye would quadruple or more in response to this, though. >.<

Let me add that overall I love the dye system and the customization it provides, and hunting for the 'right' dye is even a bit of a fun minigame (similar to hunting color crystals). But this is a situation of a consumable just being too rare and too consumable.

I'd even support making certain dyes non-Collectable, such as Artificer-crafted dyes or "Silver"-quality Cartel dyes, to keep the market flowing on lower-demand colors.

DownVote!!!

Money is easy enough to earn in game and those of us who like to play the market love the value of the dyes. Greedy I know but since I purchased so many black/black to work the market I like it just the way it is.

• 1 month later...

Agreed, the dyes have to be originally purchased to have them to "collect" and the unlock price can be based off the tier of the dye, more for blue quality then green et cetera. Myself, I would buy -more- dyes just to unlock them just in case I might want to try them at a later date on gear I come accross.

To the above poster complaining that unlocking them will ruin your gouging profits, think of it this way. As it is right now, I -wont- be buying your expensive product off the GTN. If I could buy it to unlock however, there is an instant sale for you that wasn't possible before.

To the above poster complaining that unlocking them will ruin your gouging profits, think of it this way. As it is right now, I -wont- be buying your expensive product off the GTN. If I could buy it to unlock however, there is an instant sale for you that wasn't possible before.

Well said.

• 5 months later...

So, you're all ok with the fact that removing a dye will destroy it, but at the same time you want oodles of free copies from the collections...

I can sympathize very much with making dye colors directly purchaseable, but dyes are consumables, that is why they get destroyed on removal.

And the price of black/black too high? Tough cookie, but it always has been, and not just in this game. In every game which used some form of coloring gear or cloths, black's always been the most expensive. most rare color. Every game I played which had coloring as option the dyes were always a one-time-use. In one it even was a skill, with a chance on failure too. If the result didn't pan out as expected then that was too bad, you simply tried again or found a player with higher skill rating for dying gear and better chance on success.

Edited by LeJarC

So, you're all ok with the fact that removing a dye will destroy it, but at the same time you want oodles of free copies from the collections...

I can sympathize very much with making dye colors directly purchaseable, but dyes are consumables, that is why they get destroyed on removal.

And the price of black/black too high? Tough cookie, but it always has been, and not just in this game. In every game which used some form of coloring gear or cloths, black's always been the most expensive. most rare color. Every game I played which had coloring as option the dyes were always a one-time-use. In one it even was a skill, with a chance on failure too. If the result didn't pan out as expected then that was too bad, you simply tried again or found a player with higher skill rating for dying gear and better chance on success.

I agree that dyes are consumables... but le me buy what I want . by that I mean let me select the one that I want and buy it! If I need to change that color, then buy another one. As it stands now you buy a pack and hope that it's in there (usually it is not). That becomes a huge waste of time and cash: MY cash!

(I hope this makes sense).

I agree that dyes are consumables... but le me buy what I want . by that I mean let me select the one that I want and buy it! If I need to change that color, then buy another one. As it stands now you buy a pack and hope that it's in there (usually it is not). That becomes a huge waste of time and cash: MY cash!

(I hope this makes sense).

If you want to buy only the colors you want, you can do so directly from the GTN at the going rate.

If you would rather pay cash through CC's, you can purchase packs and sell the unopened packs on the GTN to earn the credits to purchase the dyes you want.

What I want to know is how dye can change the colour of armor plating which I'm guess is made from metal or some kind of ceramic

Think of it as paint (metal) or glaze (ceramic) instead of as a "dye".

It really makes no practical difference whether it is "dye", "paint" or "glaze". All of them are pretty much impossible to recover once applied.

Edited by Ratajack

Dyes should remain as one hit consumables and not be added to collections. If you want several, buy them.

This helps keeps some overly popular color combinations rare enough that everyone isn't running around wearing the same color, and helps crafted dyes stay relevant.